1-800-PACK-RAT, LLC Employee Reviews

Stay away from this place at all cost
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCFebruary 1, 2019
This was the worst job I ever worked. Late hours, poor management, false promises. The managers are so dumb but talk down to you as if you’re stupid. They only want people with no ambition to work like zombies. They will promise you anything you want to string you along until the busy season ends then fire you. You’ll be working every evening/night and weekend all summer long. You’d be better off working at chick fil a they probably pay more then this place too.
Pros
Fake niceness seems good at first until you catch on
Cons
Literally everything
Had a Good 4 Years at PackRat
Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 17, 2019
I worked at 1-800-Pack-Rat for 4 years and had a great experience. It is a seasonal business so when we were slow during the winter months, it was really slow but my last year there the company got lots of accounts with businesses so we were able to stay busy all year long.
Management was the best I have ever experienced. He really cared about his employees locally and tried to handle situations in a positive way. Unlike other companies, he was there everyday and always available to his drivers. The trucks are pretty decent. If anything goes wrong the manager is on top of getting it fixed as soon as possible.
The benefits were pretty good but it is expensive. I was able to get coverage for me and my kids one year but after I let health care go and got it from the marketplace. I kept my vision, dental, and life insurance. The hours were tough starting at 6am but it made the day go faster because of Houston traffic.
All in all, it’s a good to work for. The pay is decent and the management really makes it worth while.
Pros
management, benefits, Pto
Cons
Hours
Worst job I’ve ever had
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCDecember 21, 2018
Worst job I ever had. Worked in sales. The sales managers are a joke, they are about as useful as Walmart greeters if you can even find them in the first place. The company thrives on people with no ambition otherwise they fire you because they feel threatened or something. They also force current employees to wright positive reviews on here because they know nobody would work there otherwise
Pros
Zero
Cons
Everything especially the hours
Cheap Company
Truck Driver Class B CDL (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CADecember 7, 2018
Been working here for over a year, location started with 5 trucks and is now down to 2. Manager can't get another truck to save his life. Instead of getting new trucks, he is told to hire more drivers and rotate us all night. When it's slow it's really slow, you won't get a call for weeks.
Pros
Relaxed atomsphere, manager is really good.
Cons
Pay, Lack of vehicles, Lack of hours, Cheap Company
Call Center with a stressful busy season
Resolution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCNovember 28, 2018
This company has been a good transitional job for me between college and my eventual career (I would not want 1800 PackRat to be my career) There are a very few supervisor/manager positions so moving up in the company is nearly impossible. The work environment is generally casual and the hourly compensation is above average for the area, but incentives are practically non existent, the scorecard expectations are nearly impossible, and the health care plan is too expensive. While some of the business practices are borderline questionable, the recent leadership changes will be a positive change for the future.
Pros
Flexible Schedules, Better than Minimum wage, relaxed off season
Cons
Outrageously expensive health care, stressful busy season
steady and enjoyable place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCOctober 31, 2018
Good place to work, steady paced job. there are options to move up, they take care of their employees. Supportive and caring mangers and supervisors.
Pros
enjoyable staff
Cons
customers can be tough.
I have been fortunate enough to occupy several varying positions during my employemt tenure. Both in Sales, Servicee, Trainer, QA.
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 23, 2018
I have been fortunate enough to occupy several varying positions during my employemt tenure. In Sales, Service, Trainer, QA and Management. My experience has been consistently, positive. I believe we are managed with a sincere arc towards fairness, ethics, and enjoyable work culture. I have fostered many genuine friendships.
Due to our seasonal nature it can seem to some that they are expendable. I have felt valued in and out of season. When packrat has erred, they have taken steps to rectify and have apologized. That is meaningful to me.
The reality is that personal work ethic is a challenge for some. However, it is a key component to enjoying work. I find that packrat has often rewarded those demonstrating self initiative and proficiency, and in equal measure have terminated those lacking in such character traits. In short, I have earned what I have achieved and any employee with the same attitude will have the same experience.
Pros
No Micro management, casual interaction with senior mgt.
Cons
I feel packrat should do more to initiate cost of living increases based on tenure and performance.
Great place to build a career
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCOctober 23, 2018
If you do your job well there will be plenty of opportunities for advancement. Another positive is if you have interest in different areas of the company than where your currently working, you're encouraged to explore those opportunities. Departments do a great job of working together to try and be as efficient as possible. Like any other moving/logistic company the spring and summer can be extremely busy. I've enjoyed my time here and would recommend 1-800-PACK-RAT to anyone.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Great work life balance, Positive culture
Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCOctober 19, 2018
1-800-Packrat has been a great place to build a career, while also promoting a healthy work/life balance. The rapidly growing company provides many of the opportunities inherently offered by a large business, while preserving a culture that feels more like a small business. The company challenges employees by setting high standards for quality work but maintains a positive company culture by making these goals achievable. I enjoy the people that I work with, and look forward to going to work each day.
Put the best foot forward, and progress
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Wake ForestOctober 19, 2018
A day in Packrat: punch in, get on the phone, handle business. clock out, get paid. If you can learn and retain the simplicity of the product and procedures, and you have the willingness to do well, you CAN progress in this company. I have been in 2 different departments, Sales and Customer Service, and I was promoted to an important position in Customer Service that I earned through hard work and commitment to the job. As long as you keep management in close-contact to you, rather than avoid them at every chance, this job is a cake-walk. The workplace environment is second to none, both friendly/laid back, yet professional. Hardest part of the job is talking to a customer who refuses to understand the product and just wants service-for-nothing. The most enjoyable aspect of this job is the paychecks, without the bruises and scuffs of having to do manual labor, or the need for out-of-pocket expenses for out-of-the-office equipment. Everything that is needed for the call center is provided to you, you just need to bring your A-game, same for ANY OTHER JOB. You do get out exactly what you put in, so you put your best foot forward, you WILL grow and progress with this company.
Pros
Effortless work, comfortable and safe work environment
Cons
None, as long as you treat this as a job and not as a getaway from life
Friendly Enviorment
Central Admin (Current Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCOctober 18, 2018
I really enjoy my job at PackRat. It is definitely has a family- like feel. I believe there is room to grow if you put in the work, but it does take time. Management is pretty good. We are not micromanged , which I had experienced in a job before. I would recommend friends to work here as well. It is also a great starting career if you've never had this type of work prior.
Pros
Friendly Work Envoirment
Cons
Insurance
Great place to work, especially if you are a student
Central Admin (Current Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCOctober 18, 2018
I've been with the company for a while now and have generally had a good experience. The pay is decent, management is good, and the work keeps you busy. There are times where the job can be extremely busy and stressful, but it is balanced out in the off season. The benefits are OK. The health insurance in particular is very expensive, although they recently gave us another option that is less comprehensive with a credit to cover the costs. My boss is probably the best boss I've had anywhere. He is pretty laid back, and is fair with criticism, and is just fun to work with. In my experience, they have been very flexible with my schedule, allowing me to take long lunches to attend class and then making up the hours by staying later in the day.

The one major frustration that I have had is that I have not had a raise since I started. I've done everything I can to be a dependable and hard working employee, and still nothing. But still, overall, I think it is a good place to work.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good management, relatively easy work
Cons
No raise in 2 years
Good work environment and pay
Central Admin Agent (Current Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCOctober 18, 2018
I have been here for over 2.5 years now, and intend to stay as long as I'm in the area. I am a college student, and this job has been great for me to be able to continue my education while working full-time. My boss works very well with me on my availability as a student. My particular job is fairly independent as it consists primarily of data entry and overflow calls for the billing representatives. Great coworkers and leadership in my department.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good leadership, team spirit
Great Place to Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCOctober 18, 2018
I've been lucky enough to work at 1-800-Pack-Rat for the last 8 years. The growth that the company has experienced over that time has been nothing short of amazing. As with any growing company, the processes have not fully matured and the workload can be brutal at times. With that said, the company's growth has also presented me with a lot of opportunity over the years. I've grown and learned so much in a relatively short period of time. I really enjoy my co-workers and think 1-800-Pack-Rat is on track for serious success.
Pros
Family atmosphere, plenty of growth opportunity, the people
Cons
Workload can be a bear at times
Fast paced and lots to do with some really driven people
Senior Business Reporting Developer/ Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCAugust 29, 2018
The nature of my role meant that there was a direct impact on the daily decision making for the managers and directors, and it was satisfying to know that the projects I worked on were helping to make things happen at the company. I enjoyed interacting with the SMEs and the other consumers of the data and reports that I produced, and this makes a difference every time you walk in the door at work. I typically had impromptu requests for data, ongoing larger scale projects, and maintenance tasks that impacted the health of the transactional and reporting systems.
Pros
Variety of challenges, quiet work environment, good people
Cons
Some stress when projects are not on target
better than nothing
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCJuly 3, 2018
They constantly change the rules to find ways to not give you your full commission. It beat a blank but was not as beneficial as it should have been.
It is what you make of it ....
Transportation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCJune 15, 2018
I believe that you get out what you put in. I worked at Pack Rat for more than 4 years and it was wonderful experience in working with some exceptional minds. I got opportunity working on diverse projects. Good work life balance and excellent work environment and company culture.
Pros
work life balance/ company culuture/bonuses
Cons
can feel overworked at times... but so goes life
Company too tight on budget. No new ideas listened to improve our jobs.
Driver Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNMarch 29, 2018
family was first most concern.
Name calling was childish...virtually no training.
I was hired by the regional manager and it was stuck in the crew of .my boss.
Trying to get a hold of human resources by phone is impossible.
Pros
quiting
Cons
A few things. But just enough to quit.
I Absolutley Hated This Job
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCMarch 19, 2018
I worked in the call center for about a month. Poor pay during the first 90 days, poor work life balance. I was barely on the phones for 2 weeks before they laid several of us off for not meeting their expectations. How can you determine numbers after 2 weeks? I enjoyed my coworkers and the person who did training.
Pros
Cons
I would never suggest working there.
Not 40 hours
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 20, 2018
Lack of hours no time and a half for weekends seven days a week closed Wednesday and Sunday and still have 2 days off. Long routes and unsafe trucks. Not a good maintenance program for truck repairs.
Pros
Cons
High mileage No 40 hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 1-800-PACK-RAT, LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight