1199 SEIU Funds Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great place to work!
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 31, 2018
As a student/career counselor I love working here. A typical day can be very relaxed, I learned a lot the healthcare system. I love my co-workers and the most difficult part of my job is intake period.
Challenging and fast pace with a Zing room to relax your mind.
Telephone Rep II (Former Employee) –  330 west 42 street manhattan ny 10036October 8, 2017
Very challenging and fast pace, I have learned in many different ways how to assist and have control and be very considered, sensitive,empathy when approaching a irate customer. I always go out of my way to review and resolve customers concern. my co-worker are the most help full understanding with respect to one another, very pleasant work place. The hardest was to accept criticism from customers and not take it personally, always mantain a pleasant smile.I enjoyed what i have learned and succeed my challenges while still in the learning process.
Pros
personal days off
Cons
15 breaks
Great Benefits
Training Specialist/Facilitator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2017
This place offers the best benefits! Depending on the management staff, the environment could be very supportive and encouraging.
It is a unionized facility and therefore, union rules are followed in many departments.
Pros
Best Benefits ever! healthcare, life insurance, holidays, vacations, sick time and more!
Cons
Hard to move up to management position since not many people leave
Fun, family oriented place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 26, 2017
The work is based around providing 1199 members who have children benefits that will assist them with child care. The work is not stressful and the atmosphere around the organization internally is very family oriented. The only downfalls is the salaries are not on par with the bigger 1199 FUNDS and there are slim to no room for advancement.
Pros
Fun meetings, Friendly co-workers, Not Stressful, Great benefits
Cons
No room for advancement, lower than usual pay
productive work environment with new opportunities
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2017
A typical day at work I Performed data entry using Microsoft Excel in order to update and maintain records. I also Transcribed and filed interviews. Performed research on reducing wait times in urgent care facilities in order to support labor management
initiatives. Scanned, filed and emailed vital documents. Most enjoyable part of the job was creating the internship video and creating new relationships
Good Place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2017
Great place to work, Can be political at ,have to build relationships,Excellent benefits, good compensation.
Management has favorites/You move up if you are well liked
Nice place to work.
Registration Clerk/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2017
Dealing with clients in person, e-mail and via phone. Different software programs. Managers were nice and helpful. Fun place to work. As long as you do your job there should not be a problem. Meeting new people
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
N/a
Fast paced driven
Assistant Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2017
wonderful people trying to assist employees, retirees, to align with their needs. Offers so many great benefits from education to travel. Get to meet different groups that comprise the 1199SEIU company.
Pros
benefits are outstanding
Cons
few promotions available
Good place to start but repetitive work
Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2017
Process incoming mail, file paper work, input new data into computer software, Verify current information in computer software. ......................
Great Benefits and Job security.
COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2017
Free medical and dental benefits.Great pay, Great colleagues , Low Stress.

Little opportunities for growth, political environment, can only move up if your liked.
Director of Finance and Accounting (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2017
Fast Paced organization which require fast and accurate turn around of financial reporting. However, it is very manual incentive as the systems are not integrated to the General Ledger platform.
Pros
Great Healthcare bebefits
Cons
no bonus
Learning experience and success in our work place.
Telephone Rep II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2017
Its a normal busy day at work, Working as a phone Rep in the call center for the pension dept in my company has taught me to be more sensitive and have so much empathy, knowledge. The connection with management has been great experience in making sure we as a team interact and learn from our mistakes to be a better Customer Service Expert. Working with Co-workers is a learning experience in getting to interact with different nationalities, and working together as a team and have respect for one another. The hardest Part of my job was to multi task and navigate quickly effectively different software applications to better assist our customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with customers and making sure i have provided to them the highest quality Customer Service.
Pros
Department Activity Moral
Cons
Frm time to time we are offered a one time bonus for excellent Customer Service
This is a great job
Pay All Member Medical Claims (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2017
I love this job. I was able to move up. I was promoted several times. Also the people are amazing. It was like family environment.
Pros
great job all around
Cons
Limited overtime
Very fun/learning enviorment
Registration Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2016
So far so good with this job i have learned a lot and i became more talkative as I have been dealing with the 1199 members and their children and learning more about their children needs and wants.
Experience
Benefit Assistant (Current Employee) –  330 w 42 street NY NY 10029July 25, 2016
A typical day at work consist of a lot of problem solving, new system updates and many unexpected obstacles. However, I feel that as a whole the fund is able to adapt, and helps to give us the tools needed to overcome the small hiccups. What I most enjoy about my job is the overall family community.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Small compares to corporations
1199 - I miss working here
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2016
1199 is a great place to have a career. Great benefits, job advancement and the co workers are like a family, everyone is nice, you are able to pick up the work details and they also give you the freedom to learn and shadow other employees
Great Benefits
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2016
Great medical benefits and Job security. The most enjoyable part of the job is the many people that you encounter. A typical work day all depends on your position and job title.
Terrible Place to work
calculator (Current Employee) –  west 42 stMay 5, 2016
Working for 1199 for three years, has been a nightmare, They under educated management. The management that is in place were promoted not by merit, but rather the length of time they have worked there. This is a organization that lacks the respect of people. I would never recommend anyone for a job there. You might as well work at a zoo, at least you will be paid more. Don't waste your time applying for a position with them. Trust me you can do better.
Cons
Great place to grow and learn.
Program Specialist II, Adult Education Department (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2016
I've obtained many skills and furthered my education while employed at 1199SEIU. The most enjoyable part of the job was working one-on-one with the members.
Summer Intership
Eligibility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 19, 2016
I used to work here as a summer intern and i had a really good time working there. it was a usually 9am-5pm job and i was able to work great with my co-workers
Cons
Traffic getting there by car