1199 SEIU
84High

1199 SEIU Employee Reviews

United States170 reviews
Overall good employer
The further you move up in the leadership team the more vulnerable you are to palace intrigue and arbitrary power contests with management staff more intent on preserving their position than doing justice to affected individual s or completing therir mission. If the situation is threatening to leadership, they close ranks and dump you. Even while they live off the accolades due your past hard work. No integrity in the leadership there when things get dicey.
Started with good intentions, now, a cesspool
Great vision. Great mission. diverse only if you’re looking at it from black and white lens. no diversity in thought, work style, even representation of all cultures of color very heavily black and latinX. Slow to adapt and change. No innovation, just bullying and dictatorship from the top - a fascinating culture in the most horrible way...a Group of people that find it a haven but don’t think of renovating this “home.”
Great experience
Wish the job lasted longer best job I have ever had to bad it was seasonal the people was great and helping the members was even better and knowing I helped them
Faun and Productive
Great experience overall. The child care team is very helpful, understanding and accommodating. Please do your research before coming into the interview and dress properly. Be prepare to spend a few hours doing the computer testing and the interview with HR.
Great people to work with
Advocate for the less fortunate
Great Educational benefits

Friendly Work Place

Diverse cultures

Great personalities

Very Political

Strong health advocate for new york state and beyond
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Awesome labor union
awesome labor union! paid for 100% health care and job security! people are easy to work with! work and life balance is awesome!!! highly recommend!!!
Good management and great fellow workers. I miss working
I love teaching. I wish they had a nursing position open in the quincy office I would love it. The students are very eager to learn there roles as a PCA in the home care setting.
filing paper
get to work freely with coworkers and listen to music until break and the manager is nice and tuff on us when she has to be , in order to keep everyone in check.
Pros
no work on fridays and good work envorinment
Cons
short breaks
Great people interesting and honorable work
I was treated with kindness and respect. Its a team working environment. There is structure often times and integrity is important. Your given lots of opportunity to prove your value once accomplished you win over your collegues and your success is right around the corner.
Awesome job opportunities
This job gives me the opportunity to travel meet and care for all those that are members.
I also had the opportunity to be head MA when my lead was absent.

But gave me the chance to lead. Loved that.
I worked at the company for almost 20 years which is half of my life. The company has offered me the best benefits.
The company has alot of room for advancement. The benefits include child care, medical and hospital with no out of pocket costs, tuition reimbursement and more. I will recommend working at this institution.
Poor leadership
The work load is very doable. The employees are tolerable. It works well for those with a family life; and want to continue your education. Leadership is poor at best; they cultivate internal competition
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Management and overall culture
I love working here
Really great workplace that provides many opportunities for personal and professional growth. The benefit package provided by the company is also outstanding.
Great place to work.
Excellent environment to work. Students and staff were great to work with on a regular basis. I do not have any issue with the way they run their training program
Productive and informative environment.
Receiving calling from members needing to be informed about the medical or pension that the accumulated and steps needed to apply for their pension as well as details about the coverage as a pensioner or when the would become a pensioner. The hardest part of the jobs was to inform them of benefits they did not have and explaining why they did not qualify for them. Explaining all the great benefits the had accumulated for their years of service.
Job Climate
The work environments will vary department to department.

Overall the company offers good benefits especially if you have school aged children . Though possible upward mobility can be limited based on a number of things, one being longevity of its employees. There are hardly any staff turnovers that make positions at higher levels accessible.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Advancement is challenged
Great experience in event management and skill application.
I applied my skills in the Audio Visual field to improve much of its technology within a limited budget. I learned a great deal of Event management skills and client services on a monthly basis. It had a great family atmosphere as well as caring for your co-workers. The hours were extremely long and weekends were also part of the work schedule. There wasn't an opportunity for advancement for the effort I applied there.
Pros
Great Health Benefits, family atmosphere
Cons
No salary advancement.
Enjoyable
As long as your doing what your suppose to management really dont bother. very fun and easy going place to work for. Advancement is base on your work ethics rather than who you know.
Interesting Place to Work
There are really talented, smart and high intelligent employees there. Interaction with co-workers and Members are the most rewarding part of the work.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Work-life Balance
Good job security, good company
The Fund can be an excellent place to work. They take the time to care about the members and that is their key mission.

As an employee, your fate lay with the department that you are in. If your leadership is goal oriented and smart, you fair well.
Cons
Union mentality can lead to a breakdown in core processing, dead weight is not dealt with timely.
Interesting place to work
Its a joint labor and mangement fund that takes orders directly from organized labor. The Funds are run independently and many times within certain Funds the left foot doesn't know what the right one is doing. I had the pleasure to work in different Funds and experience the differnt culture of each. Under the guise of social justice many times what is preached is not practiced. Not a bad place to work but naturally things would be entirely differnt for all staff if revenue had to be generated rather than revenue streams dependent on forced contractual contributions and grants.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Antiquated mentality of management
Ask a question about working or interviewing at 1199 SEIU. Our community is ready to answer.