1st Lake Properties Employee Reviews

First lake is not a good place to work for. They lie plain and simple
Ac tech (Former Employee) –  Mandeville, LAJuly 15, 2018
Woukd not reccomend this place to work for at all the turn around is crazy and management does not know anything about ac work at all and they do not wanna spend money to fix their units.go ahead and work here and be looking for work in a month when they let u go for hard work.. this place sucks..
Good place to work!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAJune 13, 2018
1st Lake is a company that will mentor and train their team members to success. One of the things I like about 1st Lake is that they uphold the confidentiality of employee issues. When an employee is terminated, they have numerous warnings before being let go, and it is not discussed with other employees, which is a great thing. I have worked for other companies that had a rumor mill. Conflict resolution is offered and the HR department is very open minded.
Weekends are required - no different from any other property management company.
I've been with 1st Lake for many years, and I would recommend this company to anyone -- at any location. I have assisted in Baton Rouge and the North Shore, as well as Metairie - all policies and procedures apply to all. If you are someone that works hard, accepts being held accountable and will follow all policies and procedures, this is your home!
Pros
Good pay, benefits, employee recognition
Busy
Assistant Manager/Bookkeeper/Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJune 2, 2018
A Typical day was busy and fast paced as the assistant manager dealing with move in and move out of lease paperwork. Staying on top of showing apartment homes and getting them ready for new people
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
turn over
It has it's pros and cons.
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 14, 2018
The pay & benefits were pretty good. Management in Baton Rouge is not open minded to new ideas or as supportive as presented, of the hard working staff they hire. I witnessed bullying from upper management and staff members' being terminated at a moment's notice with no just cause. Placing concerns to higher management to resolve conflicts or express other concerns, will only fall on deaf ears. I would not advise anyone to work for 1st Lake Properties in Baton Rouge. However, any 1st Lake Property outside of Baton Rouge will prove to be very rewarding.
Pros
Healthcare, Structure setting
Cons
Short lunches, Sunday shifts
Great place to work !
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Slidell, LAMarch 27, 2018
I have been at 1st Lake for over two years . This company is one that likes to see their employees succeed. Upward mobility is made easy when an opportunity arises. Promoting from within is their preference. I started as a leasing agent an now I am a property manager. Many opportunities for training and educational growth exist. There are many long term employees at 1st Lake and I look forward to being a part of the best property management team for a long time.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement and great benifits
Great opportunity for career growth!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAMarch 26, 2018
I have been with 1st Lake for almost 10 years and couldn't imagine leaving this company. I started out as an Assistant Manager and with hard work and dedication have grown my career further than I ever imagined. 1st Lake encourages input from all team members, supports education, and truly wants what's best for their employees. No wonder this company is always being acknowledged as a Top Place to work in New Orleans!
Pros
Education, Great Co-Workers, Creative
Great Place to work!
Management (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAMarch 21, 2018
Being at 1st Lake for almost 8 years, I would like to say that it has been a great experience so far. I started with humble beginnings as a leasing consultant and have gradually expanded it to multi-site management.

The work place is highly dynamic and collaborative where you can engage with a lot of smart and bright people in the company. We have several tenured employees with 25+ years with the company, but yet still have so many growth opportunities. We have an education deportment that is second to none in this industry, which provides us with the tools needed to succeed. I have enjoyed my time here and look forward to my future with this company.
Pros
Education
Growth opportunties for whomever wants them
Employee (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAMarch 20, 2018
I've enjoyed working here for the past 10 years. Learning and growth opportunities are everywhere. 1st Lake is very serious about training. Employees are promoted all the time. If you want a career in property management, this is the place to be.
Pros
free training and career growth; work-life balance; 401k
Cons
weekends
Do not work here
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAMarch 20, 2018
Rude upper management, low pay. They only care about themselves. Very micro managed. They do not care about you at all. There are so many negatives...
Pros
Cons
Expensive insurance, time off sucks, micro management
Great Opportunity Advancement, Not Great Pay
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAJanuary 31, 2018
1st Lake has a second to none education standard. They encourage their employees to grow within the company and are proud to promote from within. They are not the highest paying Property Management company out there, but the have a lot of other perks to try to make up for it.
Pros
Growth Opportunity
Cons
Non-competitive Pay Rates
If you don't fit in, they don't want you
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 5, 2018
Work can be stressful as there are quotas to make (often unreasonable) and the management does not help you make quotas or advance in your career. If you are a go-getter but don't fit into their culture then you are often shunned or your life made miserable until you leave. People get away with behavior that would be deemed fireable offenses at any other organization.
Slower paced and fun
Landscaping (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 26, 2017
This job was a seasonal one given to me from the company to work during my time off from school. The management was awesome and we got doughnuts every Friday.
Not a place to build a career
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Kenner, LADecember 3, 2017
Worked there and was let go for no reason. They couldn’t justify it at all. I was never late went above and beyond. I left a career field to work for this company in which I thought I was starting a new career only for them to lie to me. They never trained me since day one I had no clue what I was doing and I told them I would need training when I first interviewed with them. They act like it was no problem PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY THEY DEDUCT RENT FROM YOUR CHECK AND THEIR INSURANCE IS HIGH. Run for the hills
Pros
Lunches, Nice discount on Apartments
Cons
Overworked, Poor upper management, Not enough pay
Let go for no reason then shortly after the manager that fired me quit.
General maintenance/ hvac tech (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJuly 18, 2017
Don't ever waste your time going to work for this company you will only and always be nothing but a number and look down upon your top pay is not worthy of what you can make anywheres else and you have no loyalty or job security when it comes down to it you can get fired in a heartbeat for nothing
Pros
Paid vacation
Cons
Upper management are terrible
I work very hard there and I was let go
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJune 18, 2017
I have no review I work there six and a half years and I was let go my opinion it was not justified I was committed to 1st Lake Properties I gave my all
Great Place
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJune 5, 2017
This is a great place to work. The company provides lots of opportunities for training which leads to chances for upward mobility. The work staff is polite at most properties.
lots of room for growth
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAMarch 17, 2016
1st Lake Properties provides ample career opportunities for anyone interested in this line of work. I have grown from Leasing to Property Manager and have been encouraged and helped along the way.
Pros
free industry education cannot be beat; career pathing
Cons
weekends
Steady work environment
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJune 10, 2015
The people in the finance office were great to work with. They become like family. I looked forward to going to my job everyday!
extremely micromanaged, unprofessional managers
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  metairieMarch 4, 2015
I sincerely don't ever want to go back to anything that deals with apartments thanks to this company. If you decide to live at one of their properties your rent is deducted from your paycheck, Health insurance is very expensive and sucks. They make you drive around for training and marketing but do not give your mileage back. They do not give renewal commissions and their "tier" commissions per lease is really a joke. I'm so glad I'm out of there I really had a bad experience with 1st lake.
Pros
nothing
Cons
very low salary and commissions suck
Completing maintenance on buildings and grounds
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAApril 30, 2014
completing on call maintenance to apartments and completing maintenance for ready to move in apartments also taking care of grounds and pools
Pros
Always learned something new and worked with great people
Cons
Pay could have been better for the work being completed