2K Games Employee Reviews

Working at 2K Vegas
Employee (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas NevadaJanuary 12, 2019
I worked a few positions at 2K Games, 2 of which were temporary and the last one being full time.

When moving to a full time employee you get a small raise of 50 cents. 10.50 originally to 11.00.

There is a lot of overtime in game testing and some in customer service which is usually voluntary. Most of the time 12 hour days for testing.

You can work as hard as you can, more than anyone else on your team and be helping keep things afloat in departments and not get anywhere. You can be given more important tasks and even train others, make training material and teach whole other teams without any advancement if you are not a constant kiss up.

If you cant kiss up and schmooze with the higher ups you basically have no chance of moving up in this company.

They will give you free snacks, and parties once in a while and even a beer friday that way you feel like you have it good and dont want to leave.

It was a good summer gig to make money, but once you are full time the veil falls away. It is also a good place to make friends.

I enjoyed my departments Managers but it became clear that the corporate structure at 2K is just bad. Similar to that of Microsoft where there is a small select group of people [managers/bosses] on the inside making all the important decisions and everyone else [employees] being out of the loop and not really told the plan and just being strung along.

They also act like you get a bonus at the end of the year but its not really anything, They give you nearly the last 2 weeks of the year off payed.Then PTO throughout the year as a normal
  more... full time position would accrue. That is not a bonus, its just the normal money you would make while working. A bonus would be if they allowed people to work those last 2 weeks of the year and then gave them an added bonus. Even in the employee manual its puts it as "you can receive a bonus up to 10% of your yearly income".  less
Pros
Snacks sometimes, Partys, Beer Fridays
Cons
No advancment opportunities, long hours, underpayed
Fun workplace for video game lovers.
QA Tester (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 28, 2018
This is your chance to get paid to "play" video games. You get to test the latest and greatest titles that 2k Games has to offer. The work environment is great for both introverts and extroverts. The hardest part of the job is coming in motivated to work hard everyday. If you can do that then 2k will be glad to have you as a tester. If you can't handle playing video games for 10+ hours straight, then you most likely won't be able to test them for a similar amount of time.
...if you like to crunch
Artist (Former Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 14, 2018
It has been quite a while since I worked there, and I hope for the sake of the nice people I met, things have changed. The modus operandi of the studio at the time (as described by the aforementioned nice people I met) was to ride new hires hard, burn them out and have them quit or get fired... grab a new batch of hires for next year's sports title... lather. rinse. repeat.
Pros
they paid well
Cons
everything else
Work Place Environment
QA Tester - Temp (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 24, 2018
Working at 2K Games was both amazing and stressful. Almost everyone that works there is helpful and super cool. It's a pretty laid back environment and you'll really feel at home if you love games, anime, comic and etc. However the stress that you will encounter can be pretty high sometimes. They focus very heavily on the amount of bugs you input. The quality of bugs doesn't really matter as much to them as long as you are putting a lot of bugs in. The pay is descent for what the job is about. They definitely make it known that you are basically dissoluble. Also the office location sucks. In my opinion it would be better if they moved their office to another location.
Pros
Discounts on games, Beer Friday(Sometimes)
Cons
Will fire without warning, No phone while on the job
Overall a great place
Capture Specialist (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAMay 20, 2018
I wasn't high by any means in the chain of command but I always felt comfortable and apart of the team. Sometimes food was provided and everyone was always so nice.
Pros
Occasion free lunch
Cons
sometimes work load was nothing, other times work load got really heavy
Good starter job
QA Tester (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 29, 2018
This is a good job for folks who don't plan on going to college and want to have steady work above minimum wage. If you want more than 10.50 an hour though, prepare to be disappointed as all raises are tied to promotions which are pretty rare.

Benefits are pretty good, work environment is very relaxed and not dealing with customers is a nice perk (unless you work in the CS department of the building).
Pros
Over min wage, low barrier to entry
Cons
Lots of OT, no raises without promotions
Long Work Hours
Quality Assurance Tester (Game Tester) (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAApril 20, 2018
-- Testing on the same video game for several months
-- Overtime during the weekday and weekends preferred
-- Nonflexible work hours, lunch take at a certain time
Better than some, not as good as others
Art Dept (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAMarch 26, 2018
Good experience with Visual Concepts, makers of the venerable NBA2K, at least to begin with. Interesting work but by being on the same title year after year the fatigue/boredom sets in. People are nice to work with in general but there can be a tendency for things to get clique-y; if you're part of the "in" group then great, otherwise you're a loner. Scheduling is always interesting come crunch time; don't expect to have much of a summer. The top staff always tweak or add new things to the game, often late in production, which can be stressful; not as bad as Telltale, though. Every year they seem to want to deliver the game earlier which adds considerable stress. There are some nice perks for the pain, though: matching 401k, free lunches/snacks/dinners during crunch periods, occasional happy hours and parties, great year end game launch party and holiday party.
Pros
matching 401k, free lunches/snacks/dinners during crunch periods, occasional happy hours and parties, game launch party and holiday party, the people, the salary for the most part
Cons
some egos, some management issues, insensitive to employee personal issues
Fun place
QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJanuary 22, 2018
Not a bad place to work, but the biggest caveat was the unexpected overtime. Overtime is all well and good, but coming in at 7AM and then finding you have to be there until 9PM is pretty rough. That being said, it wasn't a horrible job and I wouldn't mind working for them again had they not relocated.
Pros
Free food, friendly environment
Cons
grueling hours
Standard Game Testing Company
Quality Assurance Lead / Training Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CANovember 6, 2017
I've worked at several game testing studios, this one was just like the rest. Poor management, out of touch leads and managers. Yes-men and friend circles with the leads. Its a good place to work if you are looking for some QA experience and like sports games.
Unprofessional staff
Quality Assurance Tester/Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJune 6, 2017
Unprofessional office employees. The test lead managers are good at their jobs, but harassment and bullying are common among the employees. Overtime hours are constant, and everyone is expected to work them, or risk losing their job.
Pros
working on good games
Cons
hostile day shift
Great work environment
Project Manger, Channel Marketing (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAApril 24, 2017
I spent almost 6 months as a contractor at 2K Games. I loved my team and the office environment was very inviting. I would recommend this workplace to friends and colleagues.
Pros
nice location
Cons
Commute
Excellent entry level, really hard to move up.
QA Tester (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 5, 2017
2K games is an excellent company to start after college, it has a fun environment, benefits like medical and paid vacations, and perks like shirts and work events.
However they make it really hard to move up, or to transfer to another of their branches. They have development in California, QA and translation in Las Vegas, and publishing in NY, but branches seem to work separately from each other, so it's hard to prove yourself, job advancement usually requires for someone above you to leave the company and make a position available.
Camera Operator (Current Employee) –  Petaluma, CAFebruary 12, 2017
My experience working at the 2K Games Motion Capture Studio has given me the opportunity to work with talented people who love what they do. They make an active effort to recruit people who compliment their team personally as well as professionally, which creates an environment that feels like you're working with family.
Pros
free breakfast and lunch, friendly environment
Cons
Contract work, no benefits
Productive and Fun Environment
Capture Specialist (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAMay 26, 2016
Easy to get along with bosses and great opportunity for advancement if you are interested in that career field. Plenty of things to do around workplace before and after work, even on lunch break.
Pros
Long lunches, good coworkers, cool bosses, free snacks
self starter and hard worker
Facility Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Novato, CAFebruary 10, 2016
i am a self starting hard worker who has experience in multiple fields of labor work and knowledgeable in multiple fields of work as well in part to previous experience.
Enjoyable early job
Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 30, 2015
My typical day would involve getting into work, grabbing some type of liquid energy and taking a seat at my desk. I'd then test various games, review open bugs and find new bugs through out the day. I'd get to chat with some of the people near by and eventually got to sit with my friends and joke around with them. Eventually some of the games would be closed for testing and we'd have to test different games for overtime. Finally when that was complete we'd shuffle off, tired and bored back to our homes.

I learned to develop my critical eye for error, communication and writing skills and how to think outside of the box. I had to break the game and that meant to play it in odd and strange ways that don't fit my play style.

Managment felt just right. They weren't over bearing like some companies, but they were always around to help or correct you. They were knowledgeable in their craft and knew how to put you in the right direction.

The coworkers were fun and energetic. They knew the job itself was boring, so they tried to have fun with it. They would challenge each other on finding bugs or just playing the game. They would joke and make the overall experience fun. They were by far the best reason for going to work. you wanted to catch up and enjoy their company. they were friendly, helpful and supportive.

The hardest part of the job was staying awake. The games you play were generally boring and made for a younger audiance, however some of the games were actually big hits. Either way you'd play these games for weeks and months on end. It gets boring and you get tired.
  more...

The best part of the job was the people. Every one there loves video games and wants to see a bright future for games and gamers. It's easy to make friends and connections. Also, at the end of the day, you are playing games. It's not the funnest way to play, but you could be working as a cashier instead.
Pros
Friendly work enviornment, nice office, casual enviornment, well managed
Cons
Required overtime, had quota to fill, boring
Fun, gaming work environment!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 9, 2014
A typical day at work compares to a typical day in the life of a hardcore gamer. This company is really good at providing the best products to their wide fan-base of loyal games. The management team is wonderful and helpful.
Fun and challenging
Administrative Office/Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAFebruary 26, 2014
Everyday was different and complexed. Gained a lot of experience in regards to facilities and construction project management. Being on-call 24/7 was tasking and challenging at times. Gained a lot of friends & extended family members.
Pros
Many perks; met awesome people
Cons
Tasking being on-call 24/7
Test bugs
QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Northridge CAJanuary 22, 2014
I come in grab a build then start play testing on the project that I am working on then find bugs on the area I am in then report and crash to my leads. Then if found any right then up or check if they are not in the system already. I learned that you have to quick and on top of your game in the QA be fast and quick. My management where good people had no problems with them every time I asked a question I get it back quick. Co-workers where enthusiastic, fun, smart, and joyful, love working in that environment.
Pros
Had pot locks on fridays
Cons
Short job