2u Employee Reviews

Poor Management Structure
Content Marketing (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDJuly 10, 2018
Poor management, often times employees are over worked, very little understanding for those with mental disabilities. Poor work life balance, although they will promote the option to work from home on Friday.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Poor work life balance
Good place to begin your career
Prefer not to say (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDFebruary 25, 2018
It can be a great place to work but it heavily depends on who your manager is. HR seems untrustworthy to report to about specific managers. The company is going through a lot of changes quickly--many of it great but of course it comes with resistance and displacement of some jobs. But I believe 2U is heading in a wonderful different.
Stress, stress, stress
Manager (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDJanuary 11, 2018
Quite often you're overworked (50+ hours work weeks at a time). The management is not very knowledgeable in terms of people (and become very cut-throat), most are promoted because of their expertise in the job. You'll do well if you can become buddies with your superior - it's a popularity contest. Culture and people are wonderful, I loved all my coworkers! I wouldn't think of this as a long term position and I left on my own accord.
Pros
Company Meeting, Culture, Snacks
Cons
Management, No Work/Life Balance, Cut-Throat
Its not the company its the departments
Enrollment Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Landover, MD 20785January 9, 2018
Overall 2U is a great place to work! It all depends on the department you work for. Some are great while others like ERS are terrible (management & director wise). Luckily you will find a department with great management and co workers.
Not Applicable
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDOctober 6, 2017
2U Inc., is an education technology company that partners with top colleges & universities to bring their degree programs and credit-bearing courses online.
Demanding and Rewarding Experience with a Strong Company Culture
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDSeptember 24, 2017
Despite the long hours and poor management, my experience at 2U has been remarkably positive. Though there are problems with being able to transition into different departments, I imagine that these issues are not solely related to just this company. There are definite perks like a fun corporate culture that promotes health and happiness, but the job function often makes it difficult to fully embrace and take advantage of the different company events without a sense of guilt.
Friend of CEO
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDAugust 29, 2017
CEO like to think he is a rockstar. Great business plan and execution but the inner cirlce pushes the ethical limits at times. CTO prides himself on being difficult.
Great company culture but team felt cliquey
Graphic Design Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDAugust 23, 2017
Cliques were very noticeable at 2U, but the company culture is great. Many opportunities to meet other employees. Upward advancement isn't guaranteed.
Great place to work geared toward younger entry-level employees
Tier 1 Technical Support (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 1, 2017
Very young at the entry level, however very experiecned at the Upper level.

The C-Suite are long-time professionals. The managers are a random pick. If you get a bad manager and it can hold you back until you change teams or departments. Overall there is growth and ability to ascend but it comes based on your ability to network. Networking and being outgoing is huge.
Pros
Forward thinking regarding emplyoees and tech
Cons
expensive health care
Free Snacks
Applications Coordinator (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDMay 31, 2017
Other than the lax culture, management shows extreme favoritism and there is 0 Tolerance for errors as they will let you go without a termination process. Strongly advise to pay serious attention to every little detail.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
0 Tolerance for errors, they will let you go without a termination process
Nah
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDApril 11, 2017
I worked on a team that had no leadership or vision. It was next to impossible to get anything accomplished. There was not process or communication between my department and others. The people on my team were very immature and didn't seem to have any experience working in a professional environment. Other departments have greater leadership and success, but I wasn't in one of them!
Calm, Cool and Positive Place To Call Work
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 24, 2017
This company has it together. From the initial interview process, throughout training and then getting on the floor is very positive and refreshing. I can't really say enough good things about the company itself. The CEO is amazing. I love the culture and the professionalism that is demonstrated within this company! Highly recommend if you are thinking of applying here!
Pros
Promotion opportunities, great communication with everyone in the company, support system within company, overall positive vibe.
Cons
High cost in parking in downtown Denver. No benefits to cover transportation.
Great Environment, Amazing CEO, Fun Culture
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDJanuary 6, 2017
Every day I'm excited to come to work and be with my friends. It's super fast paced and it can get overwhelming at times, but I believe in our mission so it makes everything better.
Great Workplace - Excellent Culture
Sr. Market Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDDecember 13, 2016
Excellent place to work with fun, engaging, and most importantly very intelligent, and capable people. Company is growing very quickly and is constantly looking for new hires to join the team.
See Pros and Cons
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDSeptember 9, 2016
Work life balance is nonexistent; nepotism abounds during the hiring and dismissal process, turnover is high and retention is low
Pros
Free snacks, fruit, annual company meeting at Disney
Cons
No experienced managers, corporate culture undisciplined
Wonderful work environment.
Student Support Advisor (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDAugust 30, 2016
I loved the energy when I was there. It was a very positive dynamic, and help was always available when I needed it. The CEO is also very much into letting his employees feel rewarded,which I think is key for employee morale.
Fantastic company and employees
Business Operations Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDApril 22, 2016
I cannot say enough how great this company is! As an intern, I was treated like any other employee- with dignity and respect. I was given worthwhile work which advanced my understanding of my field and which adequately prepared me for my career path. My coworkers were awesome!
Excellent Culture, but limited job security and advancement opportunities
Placement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDApril 13, 2016
Amazing work culture, especially in the office. Co-workers are very friendly and easy to talk with. Upper management sets clear goals for the company and is very involved with employees. Direct management can be supportive and advocate for employees in some cases, but depends on who your manager is. Had difficulty incorporating remote employees with on site employees. Stressful position locating clinical placement for students,constantly on the phone, emailing, counseling students. Students have high expectations and see placement as easy or something that is guaranteed, so put in limited effort on their end to help secure. Your co-workers, the office culture, and the relationships you build are the most enjoyable parts of the job.
Pros
Free snacks, drinks, excellent company meeting venues, fun atmosphere, amazing colleagues
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities, difficulty incorporating off site employees (remote), low job security, limited managerial support
Great culture
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 11, 2015
Company strives to maintain a startup mentality and culture for employees. Middle management is still young with little management experience.
Great opportunity for college grads
Admissions Counselor/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDJuly 10, 2015
Great place for entry level professionals. Good environment and fortunate to have very special and talented people to work with. Not all departments are as fortunate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 2u. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

4.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight