2u Employee Reviews

One of the WORST experiences of my life
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 7, 2018
I worked here for less than a year, and in that time period, I saw a very ugly and unhealthy culture. In Admissions, it's not about your skills or your work ethic, but how "well-liked" you are and if you "fit-in" with the culture. It is a blatantly discriminator environment, where it seems there are more white employees in leadership opportunities and colored employees are there just to meet diversity quotas. There is no respect for colored employees and if you say anything about the lack of opportunity for colored employees, you are blacklisted and kicked out of the company. This company is a fake and does not care about diversity, only sends out empty messages.
Pros
Salary is good for a starting admissions counselor job
Cons
Racism, discrimination, cut-throat culture, high school vibe
Great office culture.
Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 5, 2018
I was an intern for a few months and really enjoyed working there. All my colleagues and my manager were great people that respected me and worked with me professionally.
Cut-throat and poor management
Student Success Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDSeptember 4, 2018
When I started my manager was amazing. After she left things went downhill. Being a Student Success Advisor is essentially being a glorified babysitter. 2U scales too quickly and treats lower level employees as if they are disposable.
Major Growing Pains
Senior Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 26, 2018
Ambitious company growing quick with a lot of talent but little ability to move departments or even teams. Very little professional development but it is what you make of it. Diverse but still has a novelty effect.

Pay is below market value.
A great place to work!
Senior Application Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 8, 2018
2U takes great care of their employees and is a great place to work overall. During our busiest times it can get stressful but management and the higher ups do a great job of creating a great culture and atmosphere
Laid-back. But sub-par compensation.
Admissions Counselor (Sales Representative) (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDJuly 25, 2018
2U is a laid-back company with kind people and a great CEO. But they do not compensate well. If one sales representative exceeds their quota, and their team member misses their quota, they are given the same raise.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Poor compensation system. They're too open about politics.
Very fun and millennial friendly
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDJuly 24, 2018
If you're interested in education and sales, this is the perfect place for you! Working in headquarters provided a different perspective of the environment. There is a full cafe, friendly coworkers, and a gym in the building!
Poor Management Structure
Content Marketing (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDJuly 10, 2018
Poor management, often times employees are over worked, very little understanding for those with mental disabilities. Poor work life balance, although they will promote the option to work from home on Friday.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Poor work life balance
Executive Admissions Counselor
Executive Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDJune 1, 2018
2U is a wonderful organization to work but the job as an admissions counselor could get really stressful at times. It is not the work that I quit from, rather my manager's inability to be candid and lack of leadership. I love working for this organization.
Good place to begin your career
Prefer not to say (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDFebruary 25, 2018
It can be a great place to work but it heavily depends on who your manager is. HR seems untrustworthy to report to about specific managers. The company is going through a lot of changes quickly--many of it great but of course it comes with resistance and displacement of some jobs. But I believe 2U is heading in a wonderful different.
Stress, stress, stress
Manager (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDJanuary 11, 2018
Quite often you're overworked (50+ hours work weeks at a time). The management is not very knowledgeable in terms of people (and become very cut-throat), most are promoted because of their expertise in the job. You'll do well if you can become buddies with your superior - it's a popularity contest. Culture and people are wonderful, I loved all my coworkers! I wouldn't think of this as a long term position and I left on my own accord.
Pros
Company Meeting, Culture, Snacks
Cons
Management, No Work/Life Balance, Cut-Throat
Its not the company its the departments
Enrollment Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Landover, MD 20785January 9, 2018
Overall 2U is a great place to work! It all depends on the department you work for. Some are great while others like ERS are terrible (management & director wise). Luckily you will find a department with great management and co workers.
Not Applicable
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDOctober 6, 2017
2U Inc., is an education technology company that partners with top colleges & universities to bring their degree programs and credit-bearing courses online.
Demanding and Rewarding Experience with a Strong Company Culture
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDSeptember 24, 2017
Despite the long hours and poor management, my experience at 2U has been remarkably positive. Though there are problems with being able to transition into different departments, I imagine that these issues are not solely related to just this company. There are definite perks like a fun corporate culture that promotes health and happiness, but the job function often makes it difficult to fully embrace and take advantage of the different company events without a sense of guilt.
Friend of CEO
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDAugust 29, 2017
CEO like to think he is a rockstar. Great business plan and execution but the inner cirlce pushes the ethical limits at times. CTO prides himself on being difficult.
Great company culture but team felt cliquey
Graphic Design Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDAugust 23, 2017
Cliques were very noticeable at 2U, but the company culture is great. Many opportunities to meet other employees. Upward advancement isn't guaranteed.
Great place to work geared toward younger entry-level employees
Tier 1 Technical Support (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 1, 2017
Very young at the entry level, however very experiecned at the Upper level.

The C-Suite are long-time professionals. The managers are a random pick. If you get a bad manager and it can hold you back until you change teams or departments. Overall there is growth and ability to ascend but it comes based on your ability to network. Networking and being outgoing is huge.
Pros
Forward thinking regarding emplyoees and tech
Cons
expensive health care
Free Snacks
Applications Coordinator (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDMay 31, 2017
Other than the lax culture, management shows extreme favoritism and there is 0 Tolerance for errors as they will let you go without a termination process. Strongly advise to pay serious attention to every little detail.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
0 Tolerance for errors, they will let you go without a termination process
Nah
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDApril 11, 2017
I worked on a team that had no leadership or vision. It was next to impossible to get anything accomplished. There was not process or communication between my department and others. The people on my team were very immature and didn't seem to have any experience working in a professional environment. Other departments have greater leadership and success, but I wasn't in one of them!
Calm, Cool and Positive Place To Call Work
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 24, 2017
This company has it together. From the initial interview process, throughout training and then getting on the floor is very positive and refreshing. I can't really say enough good things about the company itself. The CEO is amazing. I love the culture and the professionalism that is demonstrated within this company! Highly recommend if you are thinking of applying here!
Pros
Promotion opportunities, great communication with everyone in the company, support system within company, overall positive vibe.
Cons
High cost in parking in downtown Denver. No benefits to cover transportation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 2u. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

4.0InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

4.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight