3M Employee Reviews

long hours for full time employees
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDMay 21, 2018
Long hours and swing shifts are hard for life/work balance. Typical days are repetitive motions for packing supplies and running machines. Management changes too much. Work place culture can be competitive and people spread rumors easily.
Pros
incentives for good work
Cons
get attendance points for being sick, no real sick days
Working at 3M
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Meriden, CTMay 21, 2018
3M promotes growth and development and has excellent and supportive atmosphere. Opportunities for advancement, training, and management is constantly rotating.
Pros
Great benefits
Not bad
Sr. Product and Process Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNMay 20, 2018
Great opportunities, but when they reorganize...all bets are off. They are penny wise and dollar foolish on many projects. They go down too many wrong streets before they find the correct one.
Pros
work-life balance
Cons
MN nice
busy enviroment
Production Operator to Line Lead (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MAMay 18, 2018
working 8 hours busy to caught whit machines. welding,printing ,coating and printing computer glasses. asa line leader supervising the job, making sure the numbers were complete at he end of the day.
Pros
job stability
Cons
long work hours.
Work was fast paced and lots of hours every day but it was not stressful.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMay 17, 2018
One thing that made working for 3M great was that everyone worked as a team and got along. On top of that all the overtime made work much better because you are getting paid time and a half at that point.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Long hours. (if you do not like over time)
great place to work
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 15, 2018
great place to work management work place culture great plant to work at I hate we had to close to save I don't think so you lost money think little more next time please
Worked as twist teacher
Lab Technician (Twist Teacher) (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 15, 2018
This was a summer (about 8 weeks) job to learn more about STEM jobs and how they look at 3M. I had a good time working there, everyone was very nice and I learned a lot.
Great Company with training and advancement.
Global Marketing and Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 15, 2018
3M is one of the finest corporations in the world. It has a training track for their management team that spans decades. They promoted from within most of the time. They required higher level management to have had a sales role at sometime in their career.
Pros
Best sales and marketing talent in the world.
Cons
Pay levels below industry average.
Pay and benefits are excellent
Operator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 14, 2018
Definitely a great place to work. Very strict environment. Pay and benefits are excellent. They offer stock purchase options and great discounts for cars, computers, etc.
Fast paced
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cordova, ILMay 14, 2018
Too much tribal knowledge that not a lot of people cared to share. I walked into the position not knowing anything and having to learn a lot of the processes by myself or with 1-2 day training.
Pros
Cons
Need better training programs
Productive, Friendly and Relaxed Work Enviroment
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, Oh and Hebron, KyMay 14, 2018
3M is an Amazing company to work for. A diverse and friendly environment a with room for Growth.
I've learned a lot of new skills and training while working for 3M.
3M have compatible pay salary, and safe and friendly work environment. If you are in management, you will attend a lot of meetings, necessary for the Business. The manage is well trained and very flexible. The most enjoyable part of working for 3M was the diversity and the Family like work places. I will recommend anyone to work for this company.
Great place to work at as a student
Tech Aide (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 12, 2018
3M was a great place to work for as a student. I learned many skills in the laboratory and with data analysis. I am leaving because I want to pursue a full time job.
Has gym onsite
Chemical Processor (Former Employee) –  Cordova, ILMay 11, 2018
I liked working at 3M, you get plenty of overtime if you want it and the pay and benefits are good. On the production floor you will work with a lot of dangerous chemicals that are reproductive hazards or can cause cancer or death so wear your proper PPE.
From a former contingent worker
Pricing and Merchandising Analyst (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNMay 10, 2018
My role was to assist with the duties of full-time employees in the transition from legacy contract management systems to SAP. Aside from some communication issues in Chargeback Management, my time there was enjoyable. The workplace was peaceful and the hours were very flexible, occasionally allowing me to work from home.The pacing was irregular- sometimes there was little to do, then everything comes in at once and it's pedal to the metal. need to be flexible ad able to work in high stress situations for short periods of time.
Pros
I had a good contracting agency that provided benefits
Cons
issues with process timing. Some weeks there was little to do, then everything would come in a week before deadline. Be prepared for times of high stress
Great place to work. Great people, fast paced production process.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 10, 2018
My favorite job of all time. Loved the people, the work and the process. Everyone was motivated and enjoyed working with each other. Wish I was still there. Truly miss everything about 3M.
Pros
Just a great place to work.
Cons
Very dirty and dusty environment.
Understanding Coworkers
Chemical Process Engineer Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNMay 9, 2018
The work environment was very nice and coworkers were very friendly and understanding. Most enjoyable part of the job was flexibility in schedule. I learned many new skills such as scanning and using Microsoft Excel.
Very busy and stressfull
Product Development Chemist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 8, 2018
Very busy and sometimes stressful work environment; need to make data driven decisions fast; good data interpretation skills is a big plus if one wants to succeed.
productive
Assembly Line and Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNMay 8, 2018
too fast paced and too demanding. didnt like how others were treating me. too much mandatory overtime. didnt train me in too well to where i didnt get what i was suppose to do.
A great work enviroment
MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MAMay 8, 2018
Workplace and environment was a great atmosphere with great hours and overtime.
Management was sub-par they were great at times and at times they were biased.
Perfectly adequate
Manufacturing Technology Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNMay 8, 2018
3M strives to make sure they benchmark everything against competitive companies, and therefore pay, benefits, work environment, etc. are absolutely average. No real incentive for high performers to stick around. Culture is VERY slowly transitioning to a more modern workplace, so some employees are utilizing a work-from-home arrangement. Many others are absolutely abusing the newfound freedom. Overall, they pay fine, are reasonably stable, and make for a fine place to hang out for 35 years until you finally feel death's cold embrace.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 3M. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight