3M Employee Reviews

good work experience
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 14, 2018
good work experience, was a good working environment
learned how to make filters for pig farms and refrigerators and working with many different cultures
Pros
lunch
Cons
2nd shift
Great pay but contract ended abruptly
Sales Analyst, HR Advantage (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNAugust 14, 2018
I liked working at 3M but the work was boring and it felt like there was very little movement to advance. Also my contract ended the same day I was told. Parking was also pretty bad unless you got there early, but my manager, coworkers, and the food services were great.
Good place to work but the drama gets outta hand
Packing Operator (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNAugust 14, 2018
Way to much drama, good work environment, they expect you to just work work work and no family time. (Social Life) Can't even leave the building when on the clock. I understand being a big company you need to have your security but the moment you go through that gate, its feels like your in a prison
Pros
Cafeteria, benifits, paid lunches
Cons
Point system, Drama, cant leave the building, short breaks.
3M Columbia
Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 14, 2018
Great place to work and very employee positive company. When I was there we had 100% insurance and a very good 401k match. The Columbia location closed due to loss of a major customer. They are just now recovering.
Productive and safe.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Medina, OHAugust 13, 2018
There's a lot of manual labor with the job. Everyone is very nice and inclusive. The hours weren't always that great, unless you were just on first shift. But for the most part people worked 12 hour days. I thought the pay was more than enough, as a college student. Only thing is it was different than what they described the position to be. I was told I would be working with the engineers on projects, seeing that I am a college student in chemical engineering. But I ended up just packing and shipping all of the products. I was hardly with the chemical engineers.
Nice work environment with benefits
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 13, 2018
I enjoyed working at 3M, we had a great work life balance with perks throughout the year. Good benefits and my coworkers were nice too. I left only because of personal reasons.
Great Pay, terrible work environment
Warehouse Operator (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILAugust 13, 2018
3M in Dekalb offers great pay and benefits but there is a huge disconnect between management and the staff, lots a hrs worked, and lots of drama throughout the company. The leads are in cliques and employees are treated favorably by certain people in charge.
Pros
great pay, vacation and health care
Cons
long hours on short notice, weekends, bad management
Good pay and Benefits, Easy to get Fired
Warehouse Operator (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILAugust 12, 2018
Although they pay you well, you better be there every single day on time and complete your daily job with perfection otherwise you will not last. It is a very easy place to get fired from if you do not take it 110% seriously from day one.
Pros
Paid breaks, good benfits
Cons
Difficult job to stay at, large amounts of mandatory overtime. Almost impossible to get a day off even if you are very ill.
Regular company
R & D Chemist (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAAugust 11, 2018
3M is a regular company like any company, It has standard benefits. It gives s regular pay and competitive pay comparable to within the area. It has desirable working area. 3M is a safe work environment and safety snd health is always the number one concern
Very happy
Global Sealant Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 11, 2018
I was happy with the people, culture,and benefits at 3M. The onboarding development program allows you to see all of the businesses in 3M before you manage a P&L. I was able to develop and understand the systems at 3M plus it gave me an instant network within 3M once I started my P&L role.
Fun
Manpower Temp (Former Employee) –  Valley, NEAugust 9, 2018
Fast paced always busy never a lack of work could be a little better communication between employees and management a better understanding of mental illness
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Great place plus a good break system
n/a (Current Employee) –  Cynthiana, KYAugust 9, 2018
I enjoy working there because it's easy money. There is nothing too stressful about working here and the offer a great system called flex where you can pick when you want to work and which area.
Pros
easy work
Cons
long days
Socially stunted
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 9, 2018
The culture is reminiscent of high school. Think what the popular kids think or be ostracized. Political perspectives were talked about freely in a manner that may intimidate those who have a different view. Did not protect the "work zone".
Pros
Vendors come to campus, i.e. farmers market, Harvest Bread Company
Cons
Too political
Terrible
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILAugust 8, 2018
The worst management you will ever get from an employer. They try to terminate people once work slows down for that time of year. The hardest part of the job is the training, because you are punished for mistakes as if you carried a licence on the PIV already.
productive and fun workplace
SUPERVISOR SHIPPING AND RECEIVING (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 7, 2018
I love it!!! Great job!!! I would recommend this job to anyone. The supervisor was cool, fun place to work, and they always looked out for their employees.
Good place to work in a small town
Manufacturing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 7, 2018
Started as an operator and moved to management position within 6 years. Lot to learn. Everything is very complicated and lengthy so you have to pay lots of attention and learn every stage of the process. You have to be smart, willing to learn and show interest that you are here to learn and do a good job. Good working environment. They respect diversity and everyone works here feel comfortable. Very clean facility.
Great
Manufacturing Supervisor/ LSO Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MNAugust 7, 2018
This is a great company to work for. Many start out young and end up retiring. 3M really does challenge you intellectually and encourages out of the box thinking.
Official response from 3M
August 10, 2018

Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoy working for 3M.

It was a fast-paced work place
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAAugust 7, 2018
I was hired through a agency, and when the production slows down, they will let us go. I learned how to handle delicate circuits, and plating them without damaging sensitive parts. The best part of the job is they give us a lot of over time.
Pros
we can have short breaks
Metrics Driven
Sales (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNAugust 6, 2018
Typical day working at a desk with a metrics focused role. Dysfunctional work culture and lacks communication within different roles in the division..
the company and work was fine. However the management was very lacking. No personal skills with employees, poor structure for directions, unaware
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 6, 2018
#M was a great place to work when I did. However, the management was a bit out of touch with job mission and employee development. The benefits were also great and the company structure strong. all in all if the opportunity would become available again I would joint the team once again. Unfortunately the company closed the plant I worked at or I'd still be with them I believe, god willing.
Pros
strong company
Cons
Pro management at the plant I worked at

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 3M. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight