3M Employee Reviews

Found 1,757 reviews matching the search See all 3,107 reviews
Comfortable workplace with onsite cafeteria. Every one is very welcoming and easy to get a long with.
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDFebruary 14, 2019
Show up get a good turnover from the previous shift and just keep everything running smooth. Communication is key if you want breaks. Someone usually needs to be there to oversee every machine you cant just shut something down.
3m is always striving excellence in-which is contagious.
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MNFebruary 13, 2019
Professionalism is at the heart of the company. The need to cut corners doesn't exist because the process. A culture that most could thrive in. A chance well taken.
Pros
Good sound established practices.
Cons
Finding mentor can be hard.
Program management (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 13, 2019
Great place to work at 3M, professional, work life balance and great team. Very international and multicultural setup and enjoyed my work managing teams and also as a contributor.
reat job security
Lean Analyst & Machine Operator/TTO (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, WIFebruary 13, 2019
Awesome clean place to work. Did not like rotating first and second shift every other week though. If you work nights you didn't have to rotate. The work load is very easy to manage and there is no micro managing.
Benefits
Cons
Rotating 1st and 2nd shift

Hello,

Thank you very much for your review, and your feedback on the rotating shifts. We really appreciate you providing your input.

Sucks the life out of you
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Menomonie, WIFebruary 12, 2019
Stay away, the pay is good but what you give up in your personal life is not worth it. Management is bullies, safety is just a word, no sense of reality from management.
Pros
chance to make lots of money
Cons
culture and management
Innovative Company
Business Transformation - FI - Global Process Lead (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 10, 2019
3M is about innovation. 3M promotes thinking differently and it translates into new products and sales for the company. 3M is global company that supports transferring knowledge from one part of the organization to another part. It is very clear that even outside of the US most 3Mers see it as a global company rather than just an American Company and feel a vested ownership in the success of 3M.
Pros
Innovation

Hello,

Thank you so much for your review! Here at 3M, we are very proud of our legacy of innovation and really appreciate you calling that out here. We are very happy to hear you enjoy working for 3M, and really appreciate you sharing your experience.

It's all about work
Stockroom Manager (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDFebruary 9, 2019
Be ready for a fast moving work day with little time to sit down and chit chat to other workers. This is a great place to work and that is what is expected of you. If you are willing to give it 110% this will be a place for you. Many workers have been there for 20+ years and will not put up with someone coming in and not doing their job.
Opinions count
Machinist Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 9, 2019
3M manufacturing is a very fast paced environment. You are constantly changing locations so you have to have high adaptability and be resilient. Quality is everything; if it takes a little longer to have perfect quality then take that time. If you have ideas on how to improve the flow in your area, you should give feedback because they listen. Everyone that I know who provided feedback moved up in the company; it is valued and sets you apart from others.

Hello,

Thanks so much for your feedback and great advice! We really appreciate you sharing this.

i dont know
Production worker, college summer temporary worker (Former Employee) –  Valley, NEFebruary 7, 2019
I was a college temp years ago working in the injection molding department. I got along with my co-workers and supervisors. they never had me do more than they thought I could. everyone was nice when I worked there.
Ok place to work
Supervisor/Manager over Production Line (Former Employee) –  Guin, ALFebruary 6, 2019
Company is a Union based company, just has a lot of challenges that come along with it being a union based company. Needs to be more fair, firm and consistent in decision making. Company needs to stand firm and not give into Union.
Pros
Plant manger-knowledge/understanding in improving company.
Cons
Supervisors need to know that they have the support of management.
February 11, 2019

Thank you so much for your review. We are very sorry to hear that you didn’t feel like the decision-making while you were at 3M was fair or consistent, and that you did not feel supported by your manager. We strive to create a workplace where employees understand why decisions are made, and where managers are not overbearing, but are there to support and guide you. We appreciate you sharing this feedback with us, and it has been passed on to HR in Guin.

Great
Project Engineer and Technical Sales (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 6, 2019
it is a great company to work for. Provides a good work/life balance depending on position. Provide's great benefits, salary, and flexibility. I would highly recommend this company.
Review
Senior Orthodontic Professional Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 5, 2019
Great opportunity for movement within divisions.
Excellent benefits, training, and onboarding. Company will not typically relocate employees. Great company culture.
Regular day to day business
Customer Account Management Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, MNFebruary 5, 2019
I was able to develop phone skills with clients and prioritize business needs to client needs accordingly. I enjoyed my early morning schedule and the clients I was responsible for.

Hello,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback! We really appreciate it.

Work culture
Full Stack Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 5, 2019
Very healthy environment and participated in peer reviews and made modification accordingly based on team suggestions.
Very flexible to upgrade to latest tech stack as needed.

Hello,

Thanks so much for your review! We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with 3M.

boring and slow pace
Inspection Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 4, 2019
it slow and boring u do the same stuff over and over check badges and pack them their nothn really to differnet and u sit in a small room for most the day

Hello,

Thanks so much for your review. We really appreciate you sharing your feedback.

Humble but bright people
Strategy, Marketing, and Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 4, 2019
People are incredibly humble but also very very bright. Great management culture everywhere in the organization. Couldn't recommend a better company!!

Hello,

Thank you so much for this review! We love that you enjoyed your time with 3M, and are so happy to hear that you had such a positive experience.

Busy days, always something new to do
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNFebruary 3, 2019
Culture of 3M was friendly, supportive, & good chances for advancement. Worked with employees who had been there for many many years - I was able to draw on their knowledge of the company and its history.
Pros
Always a chance for advancement
Material Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNFebruary 3, 2019
3M provides more than most companies due for their employees. Good internal job posting options. Pay is the same per job, not based on experience or time at job

Hello,

Thank you so much for your review! We really appreciate you sharing your feedback.

A fine place to stay
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTFebruary 1, 2019
Hardest part of the job was my team mates: they were very hostile to change and that wasn't something I could glean from my interview.
Asking around the company, it seems every team culture is different. There's not a lot of interaction outside of that. I had a buddy from college that worked down the hall, and I was free to see him maybe twice a month. All the other time was consumed with team labors.
Pros
Events with free food, very secure in job position
Cons
No choice of technology stack, difficult to move teams
Poor treatment of production workers
anonymous (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNFebruary 1, 2019
Although the Hutchinson 3M plant pays well, there are issues.

While salaried employees are able to leave the premises or even go to their vehicles during their shift, non-salaried employees are not afforded this same privilege. Non-salaried employees need permission to go start their vehicles even during this recent span of nearly 30 degrees below zero temperatures. In fact, non-salaried workers are not allowed to do this UNLESS it is -10 degrees or below at anytime unless they have received permission.

Mandatory coverage is required but is often not needed and is usually loathed by the coverage person especially when the coverage person has to work seven days or longer, which results in very little productivity by said person.

There are a plethora of problems with this 3M Hutchinson site. This plant has their own unique set of of policies that are foreign to other 3M sites which do not employ the same methodology. There is a definite sense of inequity between salaried and disgruntled non-salaried employees.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Mandatory overtime, Feels like a prison for production workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 3M. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K
41K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at 3M.

Powered by Comparably