3M Employee Reviews

Found 1,654 reviews matching the search See all 2,907 reviews
fun workpalce
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Maplewood, MNDecember 10, 2018
3M was a wonderful place to work with helpful collaborative environment that allowed for innovation to be explored. Management is always encouraging your growth and finding opportunities to explore leadership skills.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
shorts breaks
Purchased packaging for consumer products
Sourcing Buyer - Consumer Packaging (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNDecember 10, 2018
I was a contractor. Contractors are treated as 2nd class citizens.

On my last day all permanent 3M buyers at my location were given layoff notices. All jobs being moved to Costa Rica.
Good Money - Mediocre Treatment of Contract Workers
Sales Analyst, Diversified Conglomerate (Current Employee) –  Maplewood, MNDecember 7, 2018
Overall there is clear divide between contract workers and FTEs in treatment and management attitudes towards them. 3M overlooks great people who are right under there nose for consideration for FT roles.
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Nevada, MODecember 7, 2018
So 3M is very fast paced and big on safety. So you have be sure you are being safe and using the machines safely. They have good management and its a fun place to work everyone is very friendly.
Held down by middle management
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 6, 2018
I feel like I've been held down by my management. I am discouraged to take more responsibility, and am hushed when I voice my concerns with the trajectory of my career. I have peers that would agree, middle management is so concerned with climbing upward that they hold down the people that report up to them.

Its possible my situation is unique. However, the murmuring that I hear around the office would suggest otherwise.
December 11, 2018

Hello,

We are so sorry to hear that you feel stifled by management. We would encourage you to reach out to your HR rep to discuss this matter further. Best of luck and thank you for your feedback!

Great workplace.
Temporary QA Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Ulm, MNDecember 6, 2018
Loved the employees working alongside me. If I ever had a question, they were more than willing to help. If I ever needed a day off or had family issues get in the way, they were also lenient of that.
Pros
Great workplace.
Lab technician/Engineer I/ Physicist I (Current Employee) –  Maplewood, MNDecember 6, 2018
Best work experience so far! i would definitely recommend applying, it is a great atmosphere and work environment, the pay is very competitive and they are very accommodating to your needs
Great place for learning!
Desktop Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 6, 2018
This is from a contractor prospective.

Minimum pay will below industry standards
No pto, holiday, benefits
Odds are very slim to ever be hired on
Management really doesn't care what you say or think
Will close departments and projects down with no notice and lay everyone off.

Fun and great place to work though, tons of room to move around and learn new things, just don't expect to get paid for it.
Pros
Lots of room to learn, good food court, if you can become a 3mer it's great
Cons
Everything above
A unique corporation
UX Lead (Current Employee) –  Maplewood, MNDecember 4, 2018
Working in the agile lab was a fun experience. I hope 3M continues to grow the agile marketing dojo, it just makes too much sense. Godspeed my fellow 3Mers!
Pros
Pay is good. Much autonomy.
Cons
Asbestos laden old building. Live as a mercenary, die as a mercenary.
Tyco 3m
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXDecember 4, 2018
this was an ok place i just didnt like the fact that management never told you anything and you would have to find out from other employees. I left because i wanted more structure.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your review. We really appreciate you taking the time to give your feedback and wish you the best in the future.

Overall experience
2nd shift supervisor ZetaPlus Pharmaceutical (Former Employee) –  Enfield / Stafford Springs CTDecember 3, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at 3M, opportunity was present to grow into a Mfg Supervisor Position - I started there as a QA Tech. I had opportunities to take computer classes (Word / Excel) at an off site learning center which only enhanced my ability to create documentation needed for the assembly production floor.

Hello,

We are so happy to hear that you had a positive experience working for 3M. We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review.

No Review
Temp., helper (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXNovember 30, 2018
They treated Volt employees as second class citizens. We had no say, no benefit. Continually being laid off. Management wasn't reliable. I would not recommend Volt at 3M to anyone.
Pros
Over time availability
Cons
Bad management
Well rounded company
Service Guy (Former Employee) –  Nevada, MONovember 30, 2018
A typical day at work was very easy and was not at all complicated due to the fact that my job entails that I took out trash from people's machines and moved rolls of product for people. I learned to drive a walky rider.
Self motivating team oriented
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDNovember 30, 2018
Very satisfying fast paced. Team oriented but competitive. I had some great supervisors.. Many options for advancement. Lively and cooperative nature with great staff.
Pros
push to meet personal goals. rewards for exemplary work
Cons
crew rivalry can cause problems

Hello,

Thank you very much for your review. We really appreciate you taking the time to write this and providing your feedback.

Group leader/ Polymelt Adhesive Coater Operator (Current Employee) –  Nevada, MONovember 29, 2018
Good pay and decent benefits. Great people but poor management
Good quality of material. Safe and easy work. Good place to learn about a multimillion dollar company.
Pros
Money is good
Cons
Hours and Management
No room for advancement
Shipping and Receiving/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 29, 2018
The equipment was very outdated for such a big company. The training was very vague and I found it to be quite useless. I pretty learned everything as I went.
December 10, 2018

Hello,

Thank you so much for your review. We are very sorry to hear that you felt the training you received was inadequate, and have passed your feedback on to HR in Indianapolis.

Overall a fun place to work
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Nevada MissouriNovember 27, 2018
It was a nice place to work the people were nice and cared about you. The hours were long but the pay was worth it and there was hardly any time to sit still.
Fun place to work
ROLL PREPERATION TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Brookville, OHNovember 27, 2018
On any typical day the employees at 3M enjoy laughing and fun while they do their job. At 3M you are constantly learning and being challenged to learn new processes. The hardest part of my job was trying to get the oil out of my clothing. The most enjoyable part was the people and friends I made while I was there.
Pros
Laid back relaxed atmosphere
Cons
The job ended due to shutting down the plant.
For the love of god, do not go to food safety
Assistant Operator (Current Employee) –  Brookings, SDNovember 27, 2018
Do you want to work everyday for the rest of your life? Do you want to be so far on the priority list that no one does anything to fix your line? Do you want to get blamed for everything wrong with your machine, even though no one else cares enough to fix it? Well then my friend, the Food Safety department of 3M Brookings is for you. Watch as very friendly people work themselves to soul crushing depression. Be told everyday that it will get better and that people are working on the problem, and then see nothing happen. Be reminded everyday how replaceable everyone is and how you dont matter.
Pros
Good overtime pay
Cons
You sale your soul, work there everyday, and never see your friends or families ever again
Cool and fun work place
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXNovember 27, 2018
Great people and great opportunities. I enjoyed the work place and the position I was in. It taught me a lot. How fast paced it can get with packing and in shipping. Learn quite a bit about running the machinery and other small things on the side.
Pros
Great experience and teachings
Cons
Management is not the best

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 3M. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at 3M.

Powered by Comparably