51Talk

• Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Home based

It's good as a second job but it shouldn't be your main job. The pay is low and the penalties are pretty high. Tech assist is also remote so you're pretty much on your own in figuring things out.

Pros

Flexible time

Cons

Low pay

ESL teacher

This company is one of the best ESL teaching platform. Very reliable and reputable company worldwide. Being part of this project it really helps me to discover my strengths and allowing me to challenge myself and to discover rooms for improvement. started early January now been level up to 4 stage of ranking. From New Qualified teacher to Senior Teacher A. Salary is best since it's a homebased work.

Pros

Remarkable Incentives

Cons

Penalties

Never again

high penaltypoor mangementstudent based coachesmisleading adsthey dont value their teachersincentives are at a laughable ratethey need graduates but they only offer 54php per hour

Pros

remote work

Cons

management, salary, penalty, students

Productive and Fast-Paced Company

The company is really understanding and it really suits my need for a work-from-home type of job. The salary is also very competitive plus they have benefits and programs that you can join to earn more money.

It was very toxic and depressing.

Even if you gave your all, you'll always have a bad evaluation from students and parents. They are very strict with absences even if you had a valid reason. When I left 51talk, I was supposed to get my salary for the last classes I've taught but I never got it.

Pros

Cons

Toxic

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Too many interviews and Low salary

You will start at the very botom which is 50 pesos or 58 pesos per slot and you need to finish 55 slots in two weeks in which is not good if you are looking for a schedule that you can manage on your own. Have a lot of penalty that cost more than 2 slots. Even in the interview takes a lot of your time. You need to pass 6 interviews which has at least a total of 4 demos on your part

Pros

Easy to pass the first to 2nd interview

Cons

Long hours, low payment

Worst experienced ever!

Very abusive to the workers, strict, and low salary. They will not accept your excuses like what I experience. My mouth is swollen and it's hard for me to talk. My wisdom tooth is coming out and it is really painful. They will not accept that kind of excuses. They are just using the teachers as a money maker. This company is the worst! Students are good and nice! Poor management!

Productive and rewarding

It is easy to get into this company because they don't require much from you at the beginning. You can also work in the comfort of your home. Trainings are free and so is TESOL. It is also rewarding teaching kids. However, working online has a lot of demands. When you want to earn more, you need to buy equipments such as power supply, secondary computer, otherwise your efforts will just go to PENALTIES, When you get hired by this company be prepared to be their CLOWNS because you as a "Teacher" not only you are following their so called "teaching guidelines", along with a Teaching Quality team the STUDENTS YOU ARE TEACHING WILL ALSO EVALUATE YOU. And this is the TWISTED part of their system, you with the degree in college, who already know how to speak English will be evaluated by a student who cannot even utter an English word, who doesn't even pay much attention to their lessons and yet they are given the privilege to evaluate their teachers - AIN'T THAT SICKENING!!!! Yes, their support team has changed and no longer rude, however, no mater how you raise them about your concern about the student either with bad behavior and gives you bad evaluations. They will do NOTHING ABOUT IT, So, when you get to this company be prepared to be abused emotionally and mentally.

Pros

Flexible time; pay is also on time

Cons

Students shouldn't evaluate teacher. It is the teachers job to evaluate students.

TBH don’t waste your time here.

Real talk only, this company/the management sucks. They only care about the number of students instead of the numbers you earned. It’s pretty obvious that they don’t really care about you as a teacher (which you’ll realize in a few months working in this company). Only few teachers are lucky to be part here and stay for good, maybe you can try, but nope I won’t really recommend this to you.We deserve better.You deserve better than this.

Pros

Challenging

Cons

Clickbait ads, fooling teachers, low compensation

Employees are not supported enough and poor compensation and benefits

At first, I really liked working here because of the flexibility of work schedule. You can plot at your own convenience and close slots as long as it hasn't been booked yet. The cons include; poor compensation, massive penalties, poor support when you have concerns and sometimes, you are forced to teach something that is beyond your knowledge. I was a Junior teacher before and I wasn't trained in teaching business topics but they let adult students choose a business topic on my class. I also remember having a penalty for being absent because their app won't load. I tried calling their hotline and tried going to the support portal, it was a hassle and in the end, I still got a deduction. You can't dispute concerns like that. Their support agent told me that intentional or unintentional absences would still be deducted to your lesson fees. They only accept emergency reasons. This company needs to improve their support team and make their employees feel like they are appreciated, not exploited.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

undercompensation, poor support portal, inequity among foreign and Filipino teachers

Worst Experience Ever!

This company is the worst! They don't care for the teachers. They only see the teachers as money makers. They don't have compassion for teachers. Some of the students are also brats and the management team doesn't listen when the teachers tell them about, bad experiences about students.

Pros

Flexible Schedule

Cons

Low Pay, No Benefits, Bad Employee Support

Top-tier ESL Company with awesome bonuses and incentives

I have been a 51Talk Home-Based Online English Teacher for quite some time and I can say now that I made a great decision being a part of this team. I love how I can plot my classes at any time because they offer a flexible schedule. In my free time, I can book their teacher training sessions which are completely free. But what I enjoy the most is the bonuses and incentives that I receive. I am able to earn more as an online English teacher in the comfort of my home.

Pros

Free training sessions, good incentives and bonuses

Flexible hours, but not great compensation

Teaching is fun. You get to teach students from every age bracket and that’s nice. The salary though, not good. You’ll be overworked but underpaid. If you want to earn 40,000php per month, you’ll have to damage your vocal chords lol. You’d have to start working at 6AM until 12AM for that to happen. Some students are really annoying too. It will depend on how you handle situations. The support team is moderately helpful. I think their chat support is super friendly and responsive.

Pros

Flexible time, some students are sweet and you will definitely get attached to them

Cons

If you want to earn more than 40k or more per month, prepare to work from 6AM to 12AM every single day non stop.

Productive and fun workplace

51talk helps me to improved my skills and capabilities in teaching my students. It gives me a motivation to do my best and show what I can impart to my students especially the knowledge that I have.

Pros

Flexible Time

Cons

Lost of Connection might affect the salary income

The students are Chinese and most of them are respectful and hardworking.

I work for 51talk for one year and four months. At first months I feel dedicated and energized to have a class because I want to be promoted even its a part-time job only. I work at 6:00-8:30 and it was good because of flexible schedules even though they want to have 65 slots opened. The trainers are good and friendly also, including our team and captain. I have became friends with my students from young to adult learners but the management is really bad. I am happy with my job until I realized that one of my student said that one of the highest expenses that they pay is the 51talk but I wonder why the teachers has a very low compensation and benefits. When you are absent the penalty is 200 especially if you did not self-tagged for unexpected absences but they have substitute teachers for that. The penalty is really big than your salary and when I was promoted before Junior teacher I have 63 per class, then they changed the system and now I am senior teacher I have 62 pesos per class. Isn't it a shame? you got promoted but your salary became lesser. The best part was they said you have incentives, the incentives for real are +3, +4 or the highest +5 pesos for every mission. If you are a newbie and want experience you can apply here but don't expect to have 70k or 60k because no matter how you work hard you will not reach it, unless you work until your throat is in sore. Enjoy the students but do not expect growth and loyalty from this company. I am an office based and a home based teacher. I feel sorry for the company because of how the way they treat their teachers. Without -

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Good students

Cons

Penalty is bigger than the salary x3. Inconsiderate, Unfair treatment and inconsistent management

You are underpaid

I notice that there has been a lot of changes with their payments and incentives. Ive been with 51talk for more than a year now and it used to be more

Pros

Self - tagging

Cons

Low compensatios and benefits, high penalties

Good co-workers, terrible work schedule

I worked here for 3 years. First 2 years were at the office and then 2020 at home because of the pandemic. I met some good people and earned quite a bit of money through their incentives.Their work schedule is horrible though. They require you to teach from 10am to 10pm on weekends and will only give you 1 day off. That’s a maximum of 20 video classes 25 minutes each. Unless you’re a clown who can smile In front of kids that long you’ll definitely get burned out. Managers and HR don’t care ‘cause they have the weekend off.They’re choosy when it comes to hiring people and teachers seem to come and go. Just try it at your own risk.

Pros

Good co-workers

Cons

Terrible work schedule

The worst

Not worth it at all. Too many teachers in the platform, yet very low number of students and very low salary. They doesn't even care at all with their teacher's health. Too much salary deduction.

Pros

Cons

Too many to mention

Low Compensation and Problematic Set Up

You managing your own schedule on paper sounds way better than it seems. The system has you setting up your free time on the schedule system they have. Whether students take the slots is the problem. You can end up waiting the entire day to fine out no one took any of your slots. Its a waste of electricity and time on the workers part. Students can schedule a half hour before the said free slot, which to me isnt very good time wise as well. Payment is also low which is another issue.

Cons

Problematic scheduling system and low pay

They have good classroom software and online platform.

I'm always grateful for the experience they've given me. It boosted my confidence and trained me to become better in the teaching profession. They offer free online trainings and promotions are easy to achieve. You just really have to have a good and stable internet connection as well as a secure source of electricity, which I lacked back then. Without it, penalties would be stacked more than your actual rate per session.

Pros

Gives you a lot of training which are essential for your profession and promotion.

Cons

They have bigger penalty rate than your actual per 25-minute rate.

Productive teaching experience in the comfort of your home

It is an awesome experience! I really enjoyed teaching students during my free time. Trainings provided by the company really helps a lot for self-improvement. I am confident and was able to deliver my lessons very well. 51 talk has competitive salary and incentives, great support system, fun work culture and reliable management.

Pros

incentives and compensations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 51Talk. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
4.1Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight