84 Lumber Company

• Trust in colleagues

Productive/Energizing Job Culture

Featured review

84 Lumber Company selected this as a representative review
Working for this company has taught me to be accountable for my work and the true process of becoming and being a leader. This is a fun, fast paced culture.

Pros

Hard work, caring managers, everyday sense of accomplishment.

Worth it!

This position was rough for me during my 1st month because they teach you a lot, perform a lot of heavy lifting, and the hours. After two months and lumber camp, this job changed for me. I feel more confident in my role and have better responsibility in the office. The hourly wage is not the best, but the overtime/monthly bonus helps outweigh this (Other bonuses are available). If you do your job and do not quit, the job advancements are endless (coordinator, co-manager, team headquarters, sales, etc., and your pay will increase). This job is great after college! 84 Lumber will make you start from the bottom, but an amazing opportunity for anyone starting their career. Also, the people I work with are truly amazing, and I love the work environment. I love my store, co-workers, and customers. I could not have done it without them. I am excited about my future here.

Pros

experience, people, lumber camp, benefits, forklifts and bonuses

Very sloppy . Only care for themselves .

Demand you learn about lumber the first day Tell you to watch them on the computer to see how the system works as they type lightning fast, then get mad you didn’t learn the first time. Expect you to know everything the first day I emphasize EVERYTHING. Manager just sat in the office and did nothing to help me learn .

Overworked underpaid

Look elsewhere. If you have experience it's overlooked you start at a fixed rate and are a glorified warehouse clerk with a false salesman tag. 12.25 an hour is a joke. They credit (sales) to whoever is at the counter when people come in to purchase lumber. The Co-manager (your boss) competes with you for sales. Any busy periods of the day (morning) you can be sent on tasks to keep you away from customers. Toxic environment.

Pros

Cons

No paid breaks poor pay poor management

Laid Back Pay not great

Decent place to work. Some room for advancement depending on your job. Management was ok. Seemed disorganized a lot. Pay was not great but work was not too difficult. Opportunities for bonuses in the position

Pros

Laid back

Cons

Disorganized

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Get your stuff done, work overtime no matter what, and maybe you will see pay progress

They lied my entire interview. Saying 40 hours a week no overtime no weekend. But since I started working here I have never had a week under 55. You can leave “on time” but the entire team will trash talk you and will never treat you the same if you don’t make work your entire life agenda and sell your soul to them.

Pros

They won’t fire you because nobody wants to work here

Cons

Everything is exhausting. Physically and mentally

not for everyone...must make quota

truly nothing here is enjoyable. just make your quota and answer the phone properly, main office makes random calls. a bonus is awarded to the entire team when the random call is answered properly.

Pros

great customers

Cons

sales

Poor managers and horrible employees

Job is for someone out of high school. No room for advancement. They like to pay you the minimum and expect you to work until you can't work anymore. Wouldn't recommend

Pros

Easy job

Cons

No room for growth

Expected more.

For a company that does billions of dollars in sales, the position and lack of resources was very underwhelming. You will spend most of your time working in AutoCAD drawing lines or filling out applications for cities and jurisdiction. There are very few calculations involved and anything that does need to be engineered - they contract it out. Project updates are done via word document/spreadsheet. Project setup is catastrophically unorganized. Management does not want to hear solutions from "outsiders" even if it would make the company more efficient. No written standards, guidelines, or procedures for projects despite having 200+ stores so you have no idea what to go off of. Be prepared to hear "what's your project?" and "that's the 84 Lumber way" everyday while you are here. Keep your butt in your seat mentality. Office environment is extremely quiet and non-interactive. The incentives are a nice touch though.

Pros

Incentives

Cons

Long hours, unorganized.

Unprofessional

Poor training, poor management"supervisor"and manager have poor communication skills and are lazy who also talks down belittles workers. Very inconsiderate. Negative environment. I've done everything there and they just do what they want. Manager goes to the bar to drink while supervisor complains about everything whether you do it right or wrong. Regional manager is cool

Pros

Lenient for the most part

Cons

Poor management, childish behavior, do not have much of a personal life

Bee Worker as MT, long long long 12+ Hrs pointless Saturdays

84 lumber, is mostly practically about favoritism, the overall vote as to who gets promoted is based on just those factors alone, everyone is out for themselves, they won’t help unless you ask, you have to beg for help if your falling behind as an MT. Work structure and work compensation suck, it only gets better if you get promoted within a decent amount of time. As an MT your the worker bee of the pack, they’ll use you until there is no more left of you only a carcass they’ll probably keep using you after that. Stress and long hours are high within this company, company turnover is ridiculous high. Forget about having a life, you’ll be breathing in 84 lumber for the rest of your life. The co workers are easy to bond with or talk to but pride and self righteousness makes communication hard and the atmosphere unwelcome.

Pros

1hr lunch. Advancement.

Cons

Pay, work structure, long hours, labor intensive. Stressful tiring. On your feet 12+ hours.

Everyone is out for themselves

I would not be writing this out if I didn’t want to warn others of a terrible working experience with this company. The shifts are 666 6am-6pm 6 days a week. Some days are easier than others. Other days you don’t have a moment to breath or collect yourself. Management will have you feeling obligated to work off the clock to meet the demands. Oh and manipulating margins to “boost” sales and screw customers..

Pros

Connections in the Commodity industry

Cons

Short breaks, laborious work

Not a bad job, just could use some improvements

84 Lumber is not a bad company to work for. They pay well, although with more people going to 15, it's not quite as lucrative as it was. That said the work load isn't unbearable, a lot of down time. Management could be far better but I've definitely had way worse bosses. And you'll be closing in at about 48hr a week.

Not paid enough, great benefits,good training,bad management and women can only advance to a certain point..

Overall it's not a horrible place to work. The starting pay rate is way to low, raises are low, hard to advance and management isn't great. Great training, good benefits and some great co workers.

Pros

Good benefits, good training and some great co workers.

Cons

Bad management, low pay and raises aren't great.

Na

Company only cares about making money and not about its employees. Extremely inflexible and unprofessional management. I would not recommend this job.

Not a bad gig, plenty of opportunity to move up

Pay feels a little low at times for the expected labor but all in all it's a good place to work with plenty of opportunity for growth within the company if you're not afraid to tow the line a little.

Not Good

The place is a mess and very unorganized. Management is a joke. It's only a matter of time before this place gets shut down. It's too bad because it could be very successful.

Benefits

Cons

Too many to list

No room for advancement unless you move

Ok place to work. Nice people. Not that great of pay compared to other companies for same job. Need to pay better to get more quality associates for the long term turnover is too high.

Monotonous controlling micro management

Old school MICRO MANAGEMENT!Behind about 10 years on working environment and balanced life.Poor poor salary.At close to 5-6 billion in sales every one at the corporate office is just bean counting robot.12 hr days leaves no time for anything.

Pros

None, have to pay for coffee lol and pitch in on cookouts !

Cons

Coordinator Training was not thorough and the trainer was not nice

Training was not long enough. Probation period was not long enough. When you hire someone with no experience, send them to train with a trainer that is not a people person and just hates people and is cynical makes the cards stacked against you from the get go. After 30 days of training to let someone go after a week on their own. I don't think it's right but, so many things were not right about this training. If your smart, don't like people, and like living at work this is the place for you. Money is great and the benefits are wonderful. You would have to take the good with the bad. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians here.

Pros

Benefits, Insurance, and Pay

Cons

Bad training programs, Bad Trainers, No work / Life Balance

Hours differ everyday

Not terrible, not wonderful. Management only cares about production. Seen good workers come and go due to managements attitude. But like I said it’s not horrible. Go in jump in your truck do your job go home you’ll be just fine. Just don’t get wrapped up in the politics. Picking sides will get you fired.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 84 Lumber Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.2
InHerSight Score
2.0Personal Development
2.6Career Opportunities
2.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight