84 Lumber Company Employee Reviews

There are good people who care... Keith Herr, Chris Baker Ryan & Adam Simmons. They made 84 Lumber for me.
Account Manager & Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLOctober 15, 2018
84 Lumber is an old company by today's standards and it does not directly compare to modern day tech or startup companies... However my mentors and time spent at 84 helped make me more of a man. Taught me the value of hard work. I learned to lead a team, be the point of contact for all the good and bad. Learned (slowly) how to deal with some of the worst possible situations. 84 Lumber is rough make no mistake. But it does hold true, to school family values. It's makes an individual stronger and prepares them for anything else the world could throw at them...

I would like to especially thank Keith Herr, Ryan Simmons, Chris Baker & Adam Simmons. Each of them played a role in mentoring me and I will forever be in their debt. When I hear 84 Lumber... those are the faces I see.
It was an honor gentlemen.
Pros
Complete Autonomy, Rewarded for hard work
Cons
60+ hour weeks... Hundreds of phone calls..
Low Pay, treated badly
Yard Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCOctober 15, 2018
Was paid 8.01 an hour for hard physical labor. We were instructed not to use the seatbelts in the forklifts, except for right after someone got their leg crushed between a dumpster and a concrete slab (in case people came to check on safety regulations etc). One of the forklift operators was deaf, this also caused some safety concerns. The store manager was terrible, running people ragged just to put them on busy work (sweeping the lumber yard or sweeping out the warehous...which is open to the outside). It's a paying job...that's about all the good I have to say.
Cons
pay, safety, environment
Productive and high paced work place.
YARD ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDOctober 6, 2018
a typical day could range between having to build lumber loads ranging in weight. As well as going on deliveries to deliver doors, cabinets and windows. Learned quick multiplication and how to build a load correctly.
Pros
free lunch sometimes, vendors may also bring free food
Cons
short breaks, late load lists, no help at times
Great place to work!
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Moundsville, WVOctober 1, 2018
Although being a yard hand is back breaking work, it was still the most fun job I have ever had. All 9f the employees are like family. It was like hanging out with your brothers every day. Everyone helped everyone, and work always got done.
Hard Work But Worth It
Contractor Sales Representative Trainee (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCSeptember 30, 2018
There is nothing easy about working for 84 Lumber just simply because of the type of business it is. If you put the work in though, it pays off very well after a while.
don't do it
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Coal Center, PASeptember 28, 2018
there are far better and safer places to work, currently they have numerous employees that come to work high and or drunk the plant manager knows about this and lets it continue anyway.
Pros
easy work
Cons
horrible work place. poor leadership. no beards allowed!
Great Company
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 27, 2018
Great company with a great atmosphere. Pay needs to be better and hours need to be more flexible for work/life balance. Independence and team work are encouraged.
Great Job
Yard Hand (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PASeptember 25, 2018
84 Lumber was a great place to start my life. The pay was good and the experience I got with fork trucks was very beneficial. 84 lumber continues to be great
Busy productive fast pace place.
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Pataskala, OHSeptember 21, 2018
Hardest part was being very busy. You only get on 30 minute break. Fun part was most employees where easy to get along with and you get to drive a forklift.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Short breaks. Manager.
Alright
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  NySeptember 21, 2018
Decent money and benefits and good people. But say goodbye to your beard and if you're not mentally prepared to be thrown to the wolves for 11 hours a day then this job is not for you.
Pros
Pay/benefits/advancement
Cons
Stressful
fun and great to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 19, 2018
i loved working for this company, i would go back to them in a heartbeat, this was my most favorite place of employment, the company has great benefits and a great promotion policy
Pros
great bonuses
Cons
closed down in the west coast
Great
Forklift Operator/Order Puller (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 18, 2018
Love my job i would still be working there if i would got my raise.. Never got my raise after 3yrs of working there i went up for 2 annual reviews everything thing was good but never got them and everyone else did but overall it's a good company
Pros
30 min lunch
Cons
Just one lunch break
Enjoyed working there
Suoervisor (Former Employee) –  Eighty Four, PASeptember 16, 2018
I really liked the people that I came in contact with. Manager was pretty great. The pay not so much. Probably would still be there if wasn’t laid off
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Working outside in winter
Just a big good ol boys club
Outside Sales Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Winder, GASeptember 14, 2018
If you dont know someone on the inside or aren't willing to be a puppet dont work here. the people who work their butts off rarely get recognized. Lots of hours and I mean lots be ready to work 80 hours plus
Pros
Lots of hours at a low a low rate. Always willing to give more hours
Cons
Terrible managment company wide, pay raises only come with promotions, lots of hours
Its nice
Lumber Associate (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 12, 2018
The company is a nice to work for there is alot of friendly workers there and they give you 2 breaks and a unpaid lunch. I would recommend. This job to people. There is alot of heavy lifting.
Productive atmosphere
A/R Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 12, 2018
A typical day consist of routine activities. Enjoy the work I do which consist of doing estimates, billing out invoices, and printing/ preparing layouts. The down side is the manager allows a lot of horseplay and inappropriate language. Atmosphere can be hostile at times.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Low hourly rate
Extremely dangerous and unorganized
Warehouse Associate/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNSeptember 11, 2018
I've been hurt at twice a week working at 84, I've been hit by a forklift with my supervisor driving, the dispatcher is unbelievably unorganized, arrogant, and rude... Whenever an order has to go out they rush us to get it on the truck and gone, and the warehouse supervisor (The same one who hit me with the forklift) is an alcohol drunk, that has a very bad attitude, he doesn't work well with others, and he throws things like a child when he's angry.
Great work place
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Wye Mills, MDSeptember 6, 2018
Great work place to learn and become part of a fantastic team that gives you the ability to learn on your own and develop great skills in sales and stuff with wood
Great work environment
Yard Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COSeptember 6, 2018
Days were fun, yet stressful, I learned about lumber and construction, manager was the best boss I ever had, heavy lifting and attention to detail was hardest, best part was my fellow employees.
Pros
Fellow employees and learning opportunities
Cons
Long hours and stress
Truss builder (Former Employee) –  Franklin, INSeptember 1, 2018
Hot environment not temprature controled so when its winter or cold out the building is cold. Learn more than one thing at times paced an learn how to use the equipment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 84 Lumber Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight