84 Lumber Company Employee Reviews

Terrible manager and even worst co-manager.
yard assocciate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 11, 2018
don't pay employees what their worth. management is awful. the co-manager is literally hated by most of the yard workers.
part-timers do not receive paid time off, sick days, or benefits
Cons
part-timers dont recieve any benifits, paid time off, or insurance. also terrible pay.
it was cool
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSDecember 8, 2018
Had that small town feeling about it even though I work in a bigger city setting, having regulars was a plus, fun and interactive environment, pay was ok.
Pros
Family like envirnment
Cons
Long work days
Don’t bother especially in Greensburg
MT/ Sales (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PANovember 25, 2018
You will work long hours and do all the work that the manager and Co are supposed to do themselves. The management here doesn’t care about anyone but themselves and their OSR. Revolving door of employees at this store for a reason. Previous manager was loads better and really valued and cared about his workers.
Pros
Closed Sunday
Cons
Being employed here
It was decent
Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 24, 2018
I worked here a long time ago and don't remember too much. I think the work environment was fine and stable. There is not much else I can note on the subject.
Its a normal work experince its relaxed work at your own pace
Running a forklift (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHNovember 16, 2018
It's a great place to work I loved my time with 84 highly recommend it I miss it but I missed home more which is why I left but if you are a yard guy you run a forklift to prepare loads inside you you get the orders to know which wood you need to do the loads
good place
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Moundsville, WVNovember 8, 2018
great co-workers great boss great company all around, good benefits, good pay, learn a lot, someone is always willing to help you improve and advance to handy skills
Yard Manager
Yard Manager (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCNovember 7, 2018
84 Lumber was great place to work. They taught me many things, forklift training as well as counter . Hardest part of the job was working in the heat.I was also responsible for helping with deliveries, Offered a large variety of goods. The most enjoyable part of the job was ability to create your own schedule, Offer quality products with lots of selection to choose from. A typical day at work was to be productive
Long hours for very little pay
Yard Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2018
I applied to this job under the pretense that it was a simple manual labor job, and that was why the pay was so low, I was mistaken. Upon taking the job it was soon made clear to me that I would be required to learn every task in the yard, even learning to use the combilift to move floor joist that were 66 feet long to the saw mill.I was not compensated for learning any new skills. I was fine with this arraignment at first and learned to quickly finish any and all work given to me with the partner I had. The issue came when they decided to double our current work load from cutting floor joist for 8 house to 16. I look through the paper work and found they were giving us work that was a month ahead of schedule for no apparent reason. With no pay raises for all the jobs I learned and the needlessly increased workload I decided to resign and move on to another job. The one good thing about this job was learning to use the combilift, which I really enjoyed.
Pros
lots of skill to learn
Cons
understaffed and overworked
Great company to work for, hard labor and hard work
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJNovember 6, 2018
Fast paced and very labor intensive work in order to meet customer needs. Learned to to really work with a group of people to accomplish a task and have the same goals.
Great short term income, weary on career opportunities
Design Estimator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 3, 2018
Working for this company has its highs and its lows. Starting out as an EWP yard worker there is physical labor that is hard to do on a daily basis, but if you manage to show you are loyal to company they will recognize and move you up the career chain.

Management is somewhat to be questioned and falls highly on corporate to get things done. lots of higher level forces at work behind the scenes.

Friendly work environment, great bosses in terms of friendships but horrible to work with due to the amount of work to be done.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Lots of work, bad low level management, empty promises

Want to know more about 84 Lumber Company?

Ask a question
Multiple violations of state law
Yard person (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, CAOctober 30, 2018
Much pressure to work through lunch, no breaks. Abuse of employees in that this practice of wage theft is prevalent. Absolutely recommend finding somewhere else to work
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Lack of breaks, expected to work through lunch.
Easy job, long hours
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 30, 2018
Manager Trainees work from 6:45am until sometime after 6:00pm.(8:00am-12:00pm Saturdays) The work is easy if you apply yourself and the materials, tools, and appropriate amount of staff are in place. Not a bad job as there is a lot to learn and plenty of knowledge to gain that would pose useful in the future. Hardest part of the job is the early start and long work day, and having to work on Saturdays. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with and the work environment.
Great company to work for. Amazing ability for advancement.
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 24, 2018
I’ve worked for 84 Lumber Company for five years. Nothing has changed my opinion of the leaders of the company in the time that I have been with them they are very due in their understanding of the employees and what they bring to the table. I have nothing but the utmost regards for the time that I have spent with the company. I only wish the market were better for the salespeople that they have. The market is inundated with salespeople, therefore decreasing the likelihood of success within the market. Not because of the company, but because of the competition as well. I would recommend 84 Lumber to anyone who has the drive to be their own person in an industry that requires the drive in their personnel to be the best that they can be.
Management sucks no room for advancement or raises
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 24, 2018
Would not recommend this job. No raises even though they tell you after 90 days you’ll receive one. No room to advance in company the job you start with that’s where you stay until you leave. Only good thing was pto after 90 days
Good Company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VAOctober 24, 2018
Good Company and good Opportunities as long as you are willing to move around or relocate in order to advance in the Management Field. Good pay and even better Bonus incentives programs for different positions.
Fun place to work with opportunity for advancement
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Township of Deptford, NJOctober 23, 2018
Came into the office every morning and and worked on quotes and answered emails. When the logistical work is finished I would then leave the office to meet with customers at job sites. I would then help with on site measurements for different aspects of each phase depending on what materials needed to be ordered. I would then reach out to the respected vendor and get a current market cost on the items needed and put a quote together.
Pros
Not a desk job
Cons
Very long days and expected to work most holidays
Tough place to work but fun
MANAGEMENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 22, 2018
I learned a lot of good business practices when I work for 84 Lumber. Its a great beginners job if your just out of college and wanting a good manager training job.
I liked my job
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 22, 2018
My job was fairly easy. Employees were great to work with. And pay was awesome. Overtime was offered if I wanted it as well. I would definitely go back.
very bad job
Prep Worker (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 21, 2018
it was a very bad experience the people there are very rude it was one of the worst jobs I every had tey had their picks who they wanted on that job that's not fair
Regional office for accounts payable
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Joppa, MDOctober 17, 2018
I learned a lot about accounts payable here. The lumber buyers were on site and could help with any questions. Great managers and coworkers. Unfortunately the office closed.
Pros
Great employees and managers, learned a lot
Cons
Office closed because of relocation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 84 Lumber Company. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight