84 Lumber Company Employee Reviews for Outside Sales Representative

Good place to lear the lumber business
Outside sales coordinator (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJune 21, 2018
Good place to lear the lumber business. Learn the ins and outs of the business. Most weekends off. Each store is different as to how it's ran. Different manages have different styles.
Seemed nice at first, but not a nice place to work
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Wrightstown, WIJune 17, 2018
84 lumber it was nice for the first 6 months the store was open and then everything turned for the worse. I did sales and all of a sudden we were being charge for delivery to our customers out of our commission checks. That's not right. That is a cost to the company not me. They had poor benefits and the only positive thing was the two trips I went on. One to Pittsburgh to corporate and the other to Kansas City for a promo from a siding company.
very good company
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAJune 15, 2018
It was great to work for 84 lumber, there was lots of potential, there was lots of work and lots of opportunities as an employee, we we're encourage to learn and grow in the company
Pros
learning
Poor ownership and regional managers
Outside Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 19, 2018
Poor ownership and regional managers helped influence me to go elsewhere. The culture is still bad with every new manager or regional manager changing these every few month. Quota system meant the you sometimes worked overtime without pay if your job quota or responsibilities weren't met. Could be laid of at any moment.
Pros
Occasinal perks or tickets from Sales REPs
Cons
More than enough to warrant a look elsewhare
closed store
Outside Sales Representative/Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Post Falls, IDMarch 26, 2018
low pay. company closed local store. cut throat business. very little support at the local level from management. if building becomes slow again they will move out of that area.
Very good employer with excellent training
Contractor Sales Representative / Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Elma, NYFebruary 5, 2018
Company really wants employees to succeed, and invests some excellent training in new employees.
Pay is not so good, and sales goals usually become unobtainable as time goes on, causing bonuses to not be met.
Commissioned based jobs were terrible only due to the lack of clients. Most contractors have been serviced by prior employees and accounts are assigned to sales reps. A lot of accounts were taken with reps when transferred to other locations because reps felt these accounts belonged to them and not the store. This removed clients from store accounts and made it next to impossible to generate leads and add to store sales. This resulted in the store inability to meet its goals for bonuses.
Again company did provide excellent training.
Pros
Company provided excellent training.
Cons
Low pay and unethical sales tactics with sales reps.
Best work environment ever.
Outside Sales Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 19, 2018
Got along great with coworkers. Great learning experience that I have used throughout my career. I basically learned how to run a business from all aspects.
Pros
Great training, career advancement, good pay
Cons
Some associates were promoted too early
Great place to work in my opinion
Outside Sales Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Joppa, MDJanuary 12, 2018
Not a lot of money to be made unless you're a top salesman or a store manager of a busy, and profitable location, but a fun place to work...again, in my experience.
Pros
fun, flexible, educational
Cons
no money unless you're in sales with big accounts
Good company to work for
Outside Sales Co Manager (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 9, 2018
I worked with 84 Lumber and started as a counter sales person. I was advanced quickly, and moved into a management role. The company layoff downsized several positions within my store.
Pros
Excellent pay and health insurance
Cons
Not great job security
Great company to work for
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Statesville, NCDecember 13, 2017
84 Lumber is a great company to work for. I would work for them again if the opportunity presents itself.

With that being said the challenges are that you are only as good as the support staff and management at your assigned location.
84 lumber memphis tennessee
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Piperton, TNNovember 15, 2017
I was a outside sales rep,i was to obtain new business in the Memphis area.I basically was in a role of sink or swim.It takes at least a year or more to set up a territory.
Stressful work for little pay
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Clarion, PANovember 5, 2017
As a whole 84 Lumber is not a terrible company to work for. At the store level depending on where you are the job gets very stressful and unrealistic to hit sales goals. At my store I feel I’m setup for failure
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Griffin, GAOctober 14, 2017
I was an outside salesperson. My customer base consisted of home builders and all types of construction projects. The management was easy to work with to satisfy the customer.
very solid company
Outside Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILSeptember 14, 2017
Proud to had worked for 84, I had to retire do to a leg injury , they did everything they could to work with me and assist with my needs.
I would highly recommend this company, I will always buy from and recommend the 84 Lumber CO.
Pros
dependable reputable company
Cons
heavy lifting is pretty much guaranteed
Learning experience
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXSeptember 1, 2017
The customer base was a nice balance of different kinds of builders. The store was very good at working with me on getting my orders right and delivered in a timely manner if there was a problem I was the first to know.
privately owned
Outside sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Seabrook, MDMarch 15, 2017
privately owned company commission rates not very competitive do not take suggestions well management not great on a island when it comes to company support
A good place to work
Outside Sales / Lumber & Building Supplies (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYDecember 19, 2016
Knowledgeable staff and a good customer following. Unfortunately, they shut down a lot of locations and forced employees and customers to go elsewhere in the areas that stores were closed.
Ok Place to Work
Co-Manager/Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Moorefield, WVNovember 18, 2016
I'll make this short I been there 9 years and got shown the door do to poor sales performance. Yes the business is about sales. However I was not given the opportunity to stay as a lower employee or a different position. Once show to sales its there way to shove you out. And with only a two day notice I thought that was poor on a company I spent almost a decade with just to get shown the door.
84 Lumber
Outside Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Claymont, DEJune 21, 2016
good place to work. can move up but poor work environment. not a lot of employees. no management there a lot of times.
Pros
good pay
Cons
no praise for good work
Good Company but lacks local decision making capabilities.
Outside Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Ranson, WVMarch 31, 2016
84 Lumber is a good place to work, but in this market they are behind the times and refuse to wander outside the "comfort zone" box.
I would stay with the Company, but my desire is to get back into the construction site management role.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 84 Lumber Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight