85C Bakery Cafe Employee Reviews

Do not work here
Associate/Bread (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 7, 2019
I was fired because the manager thought that her boyfriend (who is also a manager) was flirting with me. So much drama and if you're the new person good luck with that. They fired me but would not give me a reason at all. They constantly lie and don't care about you at all
Pros
nothing???
Cons
short breaks, no free stuff, management are jerks
Very friendly and fast paced environment
Associate (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMarch 28, 2019
Working at 85 is an incredible start to a retail job. The pay is always one dollar above minimum to compensate for the amount of work done throughout the day. It is a fast-paced environment since it is always busy. My favorite part of working in this environment is that everyone is friendly with each other and works strongly together to create a safe environment. The hardest part of the job would be that at this specific location, the kitchen area is a separate building from the actual restaurant.
Fun coworkers, bad management.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 19, 2019
Coworkers are amazing and helpful and fun to work with. General manager has no clue how to run the store efficiently. GM gives hours to those she favors. Hours get cut like crazy with no warning.
Pros
Free bread, free tea, free coffee
Cons
Short breaks, no hours, bad management
85c Work Culture
Front End Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAJanuary 30, 2019
It's a decent part time job for those who are looking to make a few bucks while they are in school or trying to figure out what to do. In my honest opinion, it's not a bad place to work, however management does make or break you. It's a lot of favoritism at this location and you can tell who the managers likes and dislikes. The location of this store is probably one of the worst, with terrible and entitled customers. I never really took this job seriously, I just needed the hours to have more spending money.
Pros
Free Bread, Flexible hours
fast paced
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAJanuary 15, 2019
Faced paced to get everything out for orders
learned how to decorate cakes
poor management
hardest part was working with people that didn't care
the best part was learning new things
It's Fine for Entry Level
Baker (Current Employee) –  Cerritos, CAJanuary 10, 2019
If you're looking for a career in baking, it's definitely a start. However, there's no where to really go unless you have a soulless corporate attitude and somehow get trained in all departments.
Pros
Free bread, good discounts
Cons
Dead end job
Tremendous learning opportunities
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS (Current Employee) –  Brea, CADecember 5, 2018
85c Bakery Cafe is an up and coming food and beverage giant originated from Taiwan. The most enjoyable part of the job is working directly with a vast array of individuals.
You get out what you put in.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CANovember 29, 2018
My experience at 85 was a roller coaster. There is no typical day because the customer flow is unpredictable. There are different kind of managers, but they all bring something to a team. The work culture is different in other locations. The hardest part of the job was being understaffed. The most enjoyable part was the great coworkers at every location.
Pros
Bakery smell, new customers, good team environment
Cons
Understaffed, over worked
Entrenamiento facil y responsable
Bread Maker (Former Employee) –  Brea, CANovember 27, 2018
Un buen trabajo..la paga esta bien lo malo es de cada 15 duas pero un ambiente limpio responsable
Pros
Bonos
Cons
Los dias de descanso
Not the best place to work
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, CANovember 13, 2018
You can expect to be busy all the time. The customer demographic in regards to how they interact with workers is rude, impatient, lack empathy and very hard to work with. You are expected to know every role in the store (5 different front of the house roles) as just a store associate (the lowest position). Always understaffed so stress is very high. I learned the importance of team work/support through the lack of it. Management was bad. Very micromanaging and positive feedback was never given. Always focused on negative or what can be improved. For the 5 different store associate roles, you were tested before you can even work the role. You had to memorize recipes, sequences, ingredients, processes, and more. If you failed the test (getting more than 3 wrong), you had to retake the test while off the clock. They want you to memorize and know everything rather than have a reference sheet at stations. It was very discouraging. Workplace culture was very structured. Uniforms and image were top priority and not provided. I don't remember one day I, or any of my coworkers, weren't stressed. The hardest part of the job was the lack of support. We were expected to work on our own and when you ask for support, they look down on you for not being able to man your station by yourself. There was not one enjoyable part of the job.
Cons
management, lack of support
Productive & Friendly Workplace
STORE FRONT ASSOCIATE/SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 10, 2018
For me working at 85 was fun. all of my coworkers were friendly and we all worked as a team which was good. Busy but the shift flies by fast. Scheduling was nice; gave me time to focus on school as well. But the CEO in my opinion are selfish and don't really care for you which is sad. Other than that working at 85 is a pretty decent place to work.
great opportunity for growth
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 20, 2018
still young enough the opportunities are open. Expanding into other areas of the country allows for additional growth and relocation.

They are still working on plans and in progress with ideas to improve the quality of life within the store and operations.
Pros
growth potencial
Cons
not good at staying with a plan
Horrible place to work with humiliations.
Fresh Bread (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 16, 2018
This is no good place to work at due to 4 out of 5 managers having been conceited & thinking they're always correct while not giving you any packet/sheets w/ the rules & still penalizing you with warning if you unknowingly break certain rules. Everyone begins on 3 month probationary period in which they first claim you won't be judged/pushed for not working too fast but then they still do, & in fact a transferred employee told me about an elderly man in a different location who works a bit slow even though still at best possible, yet here, you get bullied at least mildly if your fastest possible can't reach their "expectation". Also, they mention they will point out at errors if they notice any such as if you accidentally say or talk in a way that isn't okay yet they don't. 1.5 wks after having been given a warning for unknowingly breaking a rule, they fired me, I asked on HotSchedules that I wanted to know the reason for termination & if they'll keep me from finding a new job if I include this job on the resume & application, & the messaging tab was deleted soon after. I tried posting a more detailed description of their altercations but either it wasn't posted or they lied to Indeed that it was misinformation, which websites tend to blindly believe managers more than others without investigation.
Pros
2 free breads per shift
Cons
Occasionally, they "forget" to send you on your 10 minute break, get mad at you if you ask certain questions rather soon after being hired.
Not a very good place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Claremont, CASeptember 14, 2018
I dont know how work life is at other 85 Degrees locations but this location is not great. When i started, they constantly belittled me and had unrealistic expectations of me and the other employees. Even if I did things how I was trained to do them, I would still be wrong. The management is disrespectful at times and do not know how to treat the staff and the customers in a proper manner. I do not recommend this job or this company.
Pros
Free bread during break
Cons
Unrealistic Expectations
Great Company with amazing product and an excellent mission.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 12, 2018
I love my job and my peers. I continue to learn from my area manager and all the corporate staff.

Lots of support and navigation to understanding the basc to major business needs and structure.
Easy to learn, yet always changing.
Shift leader (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CASeptember 3, 2018
The overall experience that I had with the company was less than average. They went through 3 different owners throughout my time there. Many different policy changes. There wasnt really much consistency.
Pros
Healthcare benefits for full time employees. Bonuses at first.
Cons
Unrealistic expectancies.
It’s a young person unstable job
Bakery Associate (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 24, 2018
Wasent Abel to live or grow not much recognition and really sloppy most of the time the associets don’t care and are young not really trying to grow it’s more like something to do for them and it’s a priority to me
Pros
Always busy
Cons
Low hrs
Fast paced workplace but management doesn't really care about the company
Barista (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WA 98188August 22, 2018
A typical day at work would be reporting to your manager so they can put you in a station,There's bar, fresh bread, and register. There's a lot to learn because you're pushing out bread and answering customers questions, or you're on register bagging bread and boxing it up for them and helping them out with cakes they want to purchase or preorder it for them.Or you're on bar making coffee,teas and smoothies. I learned the main reason you can't keep a professional, steady, and great work environment is because management fails to train employees properly. The workplace culture there is too uptight. They always switch up policies we have and recipes also , so there's always someone telling you that you're not doing something right.They don't know how to give constructive criticism instead they try to belittle you for it and question you about it instead of helping you out. That's the main reason so many people quit every single week. I liked my job personally , I like to do my job right or not do it AT ALL.So most encounters weren't with me. I really did enjoy my job at 85 but I really didn't like how I saw other people get treated. Overall its a a fast paced job.
Pros
Free bread
Cons
Listed most of them in the paragraph
Fun first job
Barista (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 13, 2018
Pros
Fun first job
Meet a lot of interesting/ cool people
Always got something to do
Free drinks

Cons
Some locations get really busy
Low pay
No benefits
Everyone works as a team
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, CAAugust 2, 2018
85c bakery cafe in Newark is a busy store. The team members all work as a team and help others when needed. The company has taught and worked with me to become a productive and fun manager.