85C Bakery Cafe Employee Reviews

great opportunity for growth
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 20, 2018
still young enough the opportunities are open. Expanding into other areas of the country allows for additional growth and relocation.

They are still working on plans and in progress with ideas to improve the quality of life within the store and operations.
Pros
growth potencial
Cons
not good at staying with a plan
Horrible place to work with humiliations.
Fresh Bread (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 16, 2018
This is no good place to work at due to 4 out of 5 managers having been conceited & thinking they're always correct while not giving you any packet/sheets w/ the rules & still penalizing you with warning if you unknowingly break certain rules. Everyone begins on 3 month probationary period in which they first claim you won't be judged/pushed for not working too fast but then they still do, & in fact a transferred employee told me about an elderly man in a different location who works a bit slow even though still at best possible, yet here, you get bullied at least mildly if your fastest possible can't reach their "expectation". Also, they mention they will point out at errors if they notice any such as if you accidentally say or talk in a way that isn't okay yet they don't. 1.5 wks after having been given a warning for unknowingly breaking a rule, they fired me, I asked on HotSchedules that I wanted to know the reason for termination & if they'll keep me from finding a new job if I include this job on the resume & application, & the messaging tab was deleted soon after. I tried posting a more detailed description of their altercations but either it wasn't posted or they lied to Indeed that it was misinformation, which websites tend to blindly believe managers more than others without investigation.
Pros
2 free breads per shift
Cons
Occasionally, they "forget" to send you on your 10 minute break, get mad at you if you ask certain questions rather soon after being hired.
Not a very good place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Claremont, CASeptember 14, 2018
I dont know how work life is at other 85 Degrees locations but this location is not great. When i started, they constantly belittled me and had unrealistic expectations of me and the other employees. Even if I did things how I was trained to do them, I would still be wrong. The management is disrespectful at times and do not know how to treat the staff and the customers in a proper manner. I do not recommend this job or this company.
Pros
Free bread during break
Cons
Unrealistic Expectations
Great Company with amazing product and an excellent mission.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 12, 2018
I love my job and my peers. I continue to learn from my area manager and all the corporate staff.

Lots of support and navigation to understanding the basc to major business needs and structure.
Easy to learn, yet always changing.
Shift leader (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CASeptember 3, 2018
The overall experience that I had with the company was less than average. They went through 3 different owners throughout my time there. Many different policy changes. There wasnt really much consistency.
Pros
Healthcare benefits for full time employees. Bonuses at first.
Cons
Unrealistic expectancies.
It’s a young person unstable job
Bakery Associate (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 24, 2018
Wasent Abel to live or grow not much recognition and really sloppy most of the time the associets don’t care and are young not really trying to grow it’s more like something to do for them and it’s a priority to me
Pros
Always busy
Cons
Low hrs
Fast paced workplace but management doesn't really care about the company
Barista (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WA 98188August 22, 2018
A typical day at work would be reporting to your manager so they can put you in a station,There's bar, fresh bread, and register. There's a lot to learn because you're pushing out bread and answering customers questions, or you're on register bagging bread and boxing it up for them and helping them out with cakes they want to purchase or preorder it for them.Or you're on bar making coffee,teas and smoothies. I learned the main reason you can't keep a professional, steady, and great work environment is because management fails to train employees properly. The workplace culture there is too uptight. They always switch up policies we have and recipes also , so there's always someone telling you that you're not doing something right.They don't know how to give constructive criticism instead they try to belittle you for it and question you about it instead of helping you out. That's the main reason so many people quit every single week. I liked my job personally , I like to do my job right or not do it AT ALL.So most encounters weren't with me. I really did enjoy my job at 85 but I really didn't like how I saw other people get treated. Overall its a a fast paced job.
Pros
Free bread
Cons
Listed most of them in the paragraph
Fun first job
Barista (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 13, 2018
Pros
Fun first job
Meet a lot of interesting/ cool people
Always got something to do
Free drinks

Cons
Some locations get really busy
Low pay
No benefits
Everyone works as a team
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, CAAugust 2, 2018
85c bakery cafe in Newark is a busy store. The team members all work as a team and help others when needed. The company has taught and worked with me to become a productive and fun manager.
Cool part time job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 31, 2018
Its a good place to work in and good food. Started off with good hours but over time was getting less and less. Managers were rude and bossy. Does cater to your every need as a worker so thats good.
It was alright but then hours were cut until it was no longer livable.
Baker (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 19, 2018
An okay place to work if you are a student with absolutely no bills to pay. If you have bills to pay I would not recommend it as it gives no job security whatsoever and they will take away your hours in a heartbeat.
Hahahaha - run away
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 11, 2018
shady company. low store morale.

low pay, over worked, they appreciate no one.

it growing too fast. stores too close to each other. they blame the employees for low sales, when its their problem for opening too many stores. its a regular bread store now. NOT the unique 85c bakery it once was.
Pros
you can make friends
Cons
low pay, bad management, bad corporate staff, low morale
A high-quality atmosphere with motivated crew members
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CA 94704July 6, 2018
Working at 85C was one of the highlights of my life. It was one of the most hands-on and diverse job I have ever worked. It was nothing like working in fast food. Attention to detail with an artisan touch was standard and a huge reason why I enjoyed working there.
Pros
plenty of diverse tasks to do, professional atmosphere, challenging work
Cons
long grueling closing shift hours
FUN but poor management
Storefront Associate (Former Employee) –  Daly City, CAJuly 5, 2018
Coworkers made it fun and the job was overall easy. You learn to do everything fairly quickly. When it gets busy you need to be able to keep up with the rush. Downside of this job is the management. They obviously play favorites and make you do the harder/nastier jobs if they don't like you.
Pros
Free bread, 20% employee discount
Cons
management, don't get paid enough for this
a great first job
Storefront Associate (Former Employee) –  Hacienda Heights, CAJune 11, 2018
-upper management is biased, still unorganized, & lack of communication
-always cutting labor
-a good first job: will to help train, flexible hours, always positions to move up in time
Pros
free food during shifts, friendly coworkers
Cons
upper management and the customers are not great
Stressful and management needs sensitivity training
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 18, 2018
They give you a lot of hours, but cut it just short enough so that you are not full time, and cannot make any overtime or benefits. The restaurant is always extremely busy and many times cashiers will be at the registers by themselves. The general manager had anger issues and yelled and cursed at new employees. Supervisors often threw their work onto employees under them, and were not very friendly. Id only suggest to work here if you are okay with working a lot of hours with no benefits.
easy job
SHIFT LEADER (Former Employee) –  Newark, CAMay 9, 2018
it was an easy job but it was not a fair job and made me feel like hard work was something normal and in order to move up it wasn't based on your work but who you knew in the company, that had the power to move you up.
Pros
good pay
Cons
heavy work and hours of labor with no overitme
fun work place
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 2, 2018
I would recommend to someone who has not yet had a job in there life to start here. The environment is very friendly and very culture. many growth opportunity. Employees and management are always friendly and are willing to help you understand your work duties if you feel like you are having difficulty .

I have made many good friends in this company even with the management team. all though at times it can feel like favoritism is at play, does not matter witch store you work at.

Most managers are very approachable if you need to talk about work relation or personal

Full time/ part time is optional
they will always work with your school schedule or if you have a second job.
Pros
life long friends
Cons
favoritism
Awful, Awful place to work
Baker (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAApril 30, 2018
They expect you to only work, for at least 80 hours a week. If you ask questions you will be told to stop talking. If you are being harassed by another coworker you will be told to deal with it or find another job. I have seen peope get injured and then fired for not being able to come to work. The management is there to try and look good for the higher ups, not help the team. Do not work here.
okay
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 29, 2018
depends on the location. the stores differ. the management is okay to deal with. more of an easier way to train people now. make sure to always get hands on experience. Good first job experience.