99 Cents Only Store Employee Reviews

Found 1,491 reviews matching the search See all 1,495 reviews
Great Place to expand your work experience
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Atascadero, CAOctober 1, 2018
With in six months and hard work I was promoted to front end lead. Within a year I was again promoted to ASM. With hard work you can be promoted quickly. The 99 cent only company allows you to learn and grow. The more knowledge you have the more valuable you are the the company. The culture differs from one store to the next, depending on Management. Though my store's culture is very positive and had had great reviews from secret shoppers. As management it is important to make deposits as well as withdraws and show respect to all employees there. If you are looking for a company to grow with or to broaden your work experience then I feel the 99 cent only company is the right place to start.
Adverse Working Conditions
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 6, 2019
Human Resources Department has a lot of work to do. This company regularly educates all personnel on the policies and procedures.Especially when you have just started with the company. But once you get into the store, the store manager runs things their own way. No support for the middle management. The retention of regular employees is very limited to those that have been in place for long periods of time. They keep who they like and blame their problems on the rest of the group without satisfactory information gathering. Worst company I ever worked for.
Pros
Reasonable Shifts, Satisfying work.Great training.
Cons
Non-competitive pay. Adverse working conditions.
awful teamwork, terrible customers, delusional management
Stocker and Cashier (Former Employee) –  san ysiOctober 22, 2018
The work itself wasn't nothing terrible, but the lack of teamwork and customers behavior made it worse, in the sense that they would see you struggling and i would get no help, the customers would have no human decency by disrespecting the staff, and establishment, being rude and flat out gross, i did developed patience and understanding of the employee and employer relationship, managements views are so twisted it was motivated by macho power trips, with a fear based way to manage which leads to a terrible high school drama like workplace culture filled with jealousy and hate, so you needed to be careful what you said and to who, and that's was the hardest part of the job, the best part was the people i could trust who saw thing as i did the kept me going and i appreciate that.
low pay company not for employees
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJanuary 3, 2019
I really disliked the was the company itself treated its employees. There is no set schedules you could me opening the store one day at 6am they you could be closing the store the next. The company doesn't offer it's employees benefits unless you are higher up management other than that you are considered part time so they don't have to give them to you.
Pros
customers
Cons
customers, 10min breaks
Life lessons
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 10, 2019
Working here was a stepping stone while I was going to school. Very Challenging in day to day activities. I wore different hats everyday dealing with customers and staff. The only thing I really loved was working with the people I interacted on a daily basis it made the job fun and exciting.
Pros
Benefits and People
Horrible workplace
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 26, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers. The employees do all of the work, and the store manager gets all of the praise. The pay is extremely low. They hire anybody though, so if you desperately need a job, apply and give them a call.
Pros
Coworkers are great
Cons
Low pay, horrible store manager
Overwhelming in merchandise, all stores no exceptions.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Montebello, CAAugust 20, 2018
Bad company to work, as a manager there is no control for your store, basically they use you to control labor. Orders doesn't work, all you do is just adjustments if your lucky you get what you adjust if not you will see your truck full of everything.
Pros
No pressure behind, but the results show you if you will get fired.
Cons
You control labor only, beside that nothing is controlled. Even the management team are without experienced.
Fun good experience
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAAugust 13, 2018
I liked working at the 99 cents but they have poor management they don’t pay you for what they expect they treat employees bad they don’t give you raises and don’t knowledgeable people work performance
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Working for a paycheck
CASHIER/OVERNIGHT STOCKER (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 30, 2018
I am a under paid graveyard shift worker who has worked for this company 2 years with no raise, no benefits, no opportunity to advance and grow with the company. There is no appreciation for my hard work, experience, and dependability. I am to just be satisfied I have a job.
Pros
Working graveyard I can continue to attend school
Cons
No appreciation.
Work standards
Front End Lead Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hiway 249 and bammel..Houston txAugust 14, 2018
Each stores has standards to go by but most aren't ran the 99cent way. Most are ran the way the manager want it to be ran. We have learning programs we are supposed to complete but the assistant manager completed the test for everyone. Not many follow the schedule. Most come in when they want and leave when they want. There is no structure
Pros
Cons
Lousy place to work...wages are low raises are small way below what shpuldbe paid
Productive and complicated
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CADecember 16, 2018
It was a good learning experience since it was my first job. Unfortunately, the team was not the best. It was always busy which was good since it was better to have something to do. However, it most of the employees were not helpful since they slacked off and took their time. On the bright side, I did learn to be more patient, not with just customers, but everyone in general. Also, became much more organized since I did a lot of stocking when I was not on register. Management was definitely not the best as they were not very organized. They could not always take control of all their employees and sometimes could be unprofessional when it came to gossiping. The hardest part of the job was to please the managers especially when they gave you multiple and simultaneous work to do. An enjoyable part was working together with some the employees and even having some occasional good small talk with the customers.
Greed and Unapprochable managment
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CASeptember 26, 2018
I positively loved working at this place. Until they switched managers and cut my hours from 35 down to 20. Yet still complained the work isn't getting done on time. It's difficult to finish 8 hours of anything when you're scheduled 4 hours. Yes I know "that's retail" however that's not a living wage. Management had an ample supply of hours so it makes you feel like you're not worth much to them. The Manager seemed to have a dissociative identity disorder or was bipolar and was very "UNAPPROCHABLE". The regular employees were super nice. I was to only guy on the stock team of Latinas. We had a lot of fun. It made the low pay rate and lack of hours tolerable but the unpredictable behavior of the manager inevitably forced me to look for employment elsewhere. Perhaps somewhere I'd feel like I'm worth more than 99 Cents only...And no not the Dollar Tree...
Pros
coworkers, easy job
Cons
unapprochable managment
The manager here sucks
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CADecember 12, 2018
The manager at this store makes your life impossible nothing you ever do is good enough for her there’s always a “but” you can bust your behind for your job and it won’t ever be enough. Sad because the job itself isn’t hard but she makes your life there impossible you’re like robots you can’t talk or smile when she’s around. She hates to see people get along. Other than that it’s fine. People quit all the time because of her yet she hasn’t been fired.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Manager
productive
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJanuary 8, 2019
its a great place to work if you are a student and need flexible hours and are not looking for advancement. The pay does not meet for what the work requires and raises are not given.
It's fun and relaxing at times, but management made it difficult
Backroom Hand (Former Employee) –  Rohnert Park, CAOctober 20, 2018
Well first off you get a friendly vibe from everyone at the store. Soon after the management show their true colors. I had one manager watch produce fall off a truck, have me and two others pick it up, half an hour later went on the speaker saying that (fruits that hit the floor) we have fruit half off. Another time, same person started to rant about an employee because he threw away molding vegetables, she said take it out the rest are good. The hardest part of the job was definitely her, and the fact that there was no GM, which resulted into back stabbing
Cons
The management
its a fast paced store it is always busy
Front End Sales Associate / Safety lead (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CASeptember 10, 2018
I would recommend this place as an ok place to work if you are not looking for advancement or better pay raises or just looking for part time work definitely not a place to make a career.
Pros
company potlucks
Cons
not enough raises, under staffed
It a good work environment
Assistant Manger (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 27, 2018
They treat their people like garbage in less your Hispanic. They low ball raises. You have no help from the district manager. Your basically a glorified stocker no matter if your part of management or not.
Benefits
Cons
Long shifts
The employees were never happy with the work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Poway, CANovember 30, 2018
The duties of management are more than just sitting in an office in order for the business to really be productive with a small budget you will have to do a good amount of work yourself and sometimes takes away from managing your employees. Management is under paid with the amount of responsibility that you have and is expected from you is really an issue and it shows with the turnover rates with management.
SOP is dated a long with inventory system.
Pros
Steady hours
Cons
Underpaid
Fast Paced Underpaid Overworked Underappreciated
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAJanuary 6, 2019
During my time at 99 cents Only Stores was different each time people would start to change when getting promoted.We would turn our backs on each other because of management and there incompetence.It was a bad work environment for the most part we would never leave on time do more work than what we should do like they would only schedule 2 cashiers for closing and expect the store to be fronted and all gobacks done by 11. Management can't even say thank you instead they write you up like your replaceable garbage such a sick experience. Bums/Panhandlers would show up everyday theft was a big issue they really never did anything about it. Management treats employees like **** and customers like Vips truly gut wrenching. Management also gossips and talks **** about employees. They also tend to believe the rude customer more than the employee don't bother working here I barely lasted almost a year before I had enough of this b.s.
Pros
10% Discount when buying 10 or more items, Holiday Pay
Cons
Incompetent Management, Rude Customers, Messed up schedules, Overworked Underpaid Underappreciated
Cashier
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJanuary 4, 2019
typical work day, language learned, management, workplace culture, hardest part of job, most enjoyable part of job, my opinion about job. do not include

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 99 Cents Only Store. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight