99 Cents Only Store

• Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

Typical retail work environment

My time at this conpany lasted a month due to the fact that i was moving out of state. But overall, the key holder whom I work most of the time kept a professional and friendly attitude towarda the crew. The only bad thing is the paid in CA minimum is 15 and got paid 13 but the plus side is you get paid weekly

Pros

Good coworkers

Cons

Paid

Not worth the pay, never enough workers due to lack of hiring/people leaving due to poor treatment/conditions

Worked my way up from Stocker to Key Holder and worked at my location for a little over a year. We went through so many stockers and cashiers in one year it's insane. The reason for the large revolving door of workers is due to poor upper managment, very unfriendly and unwelcoming work atmosphere and lack of hours. All the hard workers I saw got abused to the point of quiting which is very disheartening to see. A lot of the workers that lasted the whole time I was working there seemed to just move through the motions most of the time with this sad look in their eyes of being stuck in a job they hate but can't leave due to needing the money. This type of environment is ok for a starting job durring school but do not plan on making it a career as it is very much a terrible work environment. Cons: Good employees are overworked till they quit, huge lack of managment communitcation (even amoungst themselves), seem to hire the lowest bidder for anything important such as light repair to fire alarm system repairPros: Gets your feet wet in terms of work experience

good

okay job. Needs more people who can complete their tasks at a steady pace. Sometimes they have uncomfortable shift hours. And sometimes the traffic can be unbearable to get to work on time.

Something to do to get experience

When i worked there, it was like a slight imprisonment.If my shift ended at midnight, we couldn't leave until all the crew was finished. There was a point in which we all were done at 5a.m. the managers at the time had too much favoritism toward a certain type of persons, and showed me the first signs of discrimination. I would not recommend anyone to work there.

Pros

Meet people

Cons

Pennies as pay and too much stress

Good for first job

Ok company , pay is minimum wage and you deal with all kinds of customers . I wouldn’t work here again but it is good for a first job or something to do until you find something better

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Its a job that pays the bills, Management were the real MVPS

A 3 star rating only because this job is not mostly for everyone, if you worked in retail before, then you shouldnt have an issue going through the motions, if you show that you can work hard and make a major impression, you can be moved up quickly. Coworkers were really kind expect one, but I wont throw her under the bus, Management was really helpful when you needed assistance, and when the store got busy, everyone available stepped up to the plate and got it handled accordingly. Being a person who worked retail most of my life, this job was really different, a different vibe, and the whispers were loud enough for me to hear, but thats in any workplace that you step into, as for the pay, its a dollar under 15 dollars an hour which most places pay a entry level store associate just about 15 dollars an hour to stay afloat, which puts this company in a griphold to keep workers, and the benefits are not really promising if you work full time, I got the sense that the benefits were bottom of the barrel. You do get a discount of 20 percent off store items but thats only if you buy anything over $9.99 and thats it, thats just as low tier as it can get. I would recommend this job for the much younger crowd looking to get experience in the retail field. If you are full time, keep in mind you are signing your life away, and thats the way I looked at it from the horizon and thats just keeping it real as it gets.

Pros

Management, Fast Paced Environment, Customers were great

Cons

Low Pay, Benefits are not the greatest, Stress and Burnout

Super boring they make you do alot for very little pay

They make you recover many aisles because they have no workers and even key holders dont help out with organizing stuff half of the workers who are close to them barely do anything. Which leaves you actually putting in a lot of work because they dont help out and chit chat a lot. Only good thing is if you know anybody and you can chat while on break or else everything is awkward. They barely give you any hours and when you ask for more they barely give you any. Dont forget they talk behind your back.

Pros

Weekly pay

Cons

Too much work for very little pay.

If you like being lied to start working at the 99

-Store level management was usually pretty good-Easy work-Store discountCorporate will lie to store management and tell them that they are going to give reviews and raises yearly for store employees but it never happens and then when you ask district level management they will lie and say they will ask but they never get back to you and continue to lead you on.Used the pandemic as the first excuse in 2020 for no reviews or raises and in 2021 they just flat out lied and said they were coming in a couple weeks.. it never happened.Stop pretending like you care about employees because talk means absolutely nothing, it is the actions that back up the talk that matters. Their idea of appreciation for something like coming in during the pandemic and risking your life is a $25 store credit to... 99 cents only... All I wanted was an honest review and raise but got lied to. So ponder that before you sign on board.

Pros

co workers

Cons

overworked, underpaid, corporate doesnt care about store level anything really except profits

Think twice about working for this company, not a good company to work at.

They show No appreciation for their employees. Extremely Poor Mgmt., if you ask mgmt. a question, most of the time, they say "I don't know, I have to ask someone else to get the information you need." When customers are argumentative, and rude, some of the mgmt. Never "back" or support their employee.Definitely Not enough pay for All the jobs they expect you to do. The managers tend to show alot of favoritism, they need to learn how to treat all employees equally. The managers tend to put toooo much stress on the employees, causing some employees to get physically sick from all the stress.

Pros

Making friends with regular customers.

Cons

Low pay, Never enough employees on sales floor, Tooo much favoritism, Expect employees to do 2 to 3 different jobs at once. EXTREMELY POOR MGMT., No appreciation shown to employees.

nice work environment

Its a good place to start out at as a teen simple and well worth it. Just go in do your job and go home.

Pros

laid back

I would Never Recommend Working Here

I lasted only two days before walking off the job here & even I felt it was too long. Sure, management was so nice & helpful during the first job interview and were so intent on hiring on the spot & making sure you're hired on as quickly as possible however, once you officially start your first day then the flip switches. After I started the supervisors were so unhelpful and impatient while training new hires, like me, & always seemed so miserable and unhappy to even be there. Then they would go off on me for not knowing much when they made little effort to even train me properly. Then they would berate me in front of customers while supposedly "training" me. I can take constructive criticism but when you constantly berate & belittle me in front of my customers, no less, that's unacceptable . Their excuse for their impatience & poor attitude is 'because that's how corporate expects you to be trained'. Given the lousy pay, poor management, poor atmosphere & lack of proper training I walked out & told them that they can pay me what I worked my first week. I walked out on them and have no regrets doing so. As far as atmosphere goes, the store was dirty, unclean, crowded, many drug addicted homeless hanging around, panhandlers begging for money, & rude customers who constantly either give you snide remarks or try to tell you how to do your job.

Pros

A job

Cons

Poor Managment, Lack of Training, Poor Leadership, Lousy Pay, No way for Advancement

Horrible management

It’s ok for a first job and getting your experience, but after a few months please leave. The pay sucks, you only get cent raises. Management is a joke and you see a lot of favoritism!

its okay, no growth

unloading truck, stocking shelves, being a cashier and keeping your space organizedyou sneed to keep the store clean and provide good customer service

Don't work here

They did not pay me enough for the work and I had to do other things that other people in other positions were supposed to do. Typical day at work would be stocking shelves, walking around for the rest of the day acting busy.

Pros

Cons

Management, no benefits

Fun workplace

It was a good job for someone who is still in school or just need a part time job. Very easy all you have to do is scan items of course so it was pretty easy .

stress

stay away stressed out too much je said she said bull too many tasks assigned to 1 person and not enough hrs management gossips too much never holds people accountable

Horrible management at all levels of the company

Most co-workers were great, but a few were terrible. Management (corporate to store level) was frustrating and made working here insufferable. It's a good first job or a part-time job for students. Don't ever allow yourself to believe you can be a full-time worker for this company. They will do everything in their power to prevent that from happening unless you unfortunately become a manager.

Pros

Co-workers

Cons

Management, pay

Been a while

Worked here 10 years ago, but had good times with coworkers. Never felt pressured and loved helping customers. Sure people would laugh when I told them where I worked, but I didn't care. :)

Pros

Easy going

Cons

Watched breaks, lunches.

99 Cents Only Store

This store was the first job I had, I can say I learned a lot. Apart from that, everything goes downhill. The management organization is poor, and they give overtime almost forced. At times I had to go, and my mom was waiting for me outside. When you have a ride, its rude to keep them waiting. This had to happen a lot of times. People came late and you HAD to stay, then there were bearly any workers. The pay sucked, I worked there for almost two years and I got cents raised. I'm glad I left. It good to work as a beginner, but after a few months please leave. Also try to not make friends, people love to gossip. Just work and get aquaintaced so you don't get in the middle of drama. There were many times where this would surround me but I was away from it and it helped a lot. Also it helps you get to a higher position.

Pros

Good experience

Cons

breaks aren't paid, forced overtime, low pay for much work, poor management.

Chaotic work environment, lack of structure, company does not seem to care about employees

At the location I worked in Carson City, it was complete chaos. Without management for several months. I was an assistant manager essentially doing management tasks and roles without proper compensation. Corporate never would answer or address issues. Based off of other reviews, I can guarantee you the location I worked was not the only one without structure. Pay is absolutely not worth the work. I’d strongly recommend working elsewhere.

a lot of work - never enough time

the amount of work load compared to the amount of time and precision just isn’t there . warehouse always full too many trucks in 1 week and not enough hours given for employees … kind of backwards . this job is better for people who need a 1st job opportunity and leave with a resume or older people who want to keep moving and make some money .

Pros

it’s a job

Cons

it’s a job you don’t keep forever

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 99 Cents Only Store. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at 99 Cents Only Store.
Powered byComparably