A Child’s Place

Working at A Child’s Place: 25 Reviews

United States25 reviews

staffmanagementjobworkcoworkerstimeplaceworking

Fun workplace but management needs to listen more

The job itself is great. Good people, coworkers and good families that come to the center. Management needs better communication and they need a better plan on compensating those that stay during such difficult times with staffing. The director, assistant director, and executive directors are all in classrooms right now because of short staff. Hard work environment that was created because management wouldn't listen to staff, so most staff left.

Pros

Location, reliable income

Cons

Sometimes no breaks and understaffed rooms

Productive and fun workplace

I love my job at A Childs Place. The management is great. I am in the kindergarten Enrichment program. I love working with the kids and at the elementary school. They now pay 100 percent of health insurance and offer dental,vision,401k,disability etc. Also my director is great to work for. I would recommend working for them if you like working with children. They are a great company.

A Child’s Place insights

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction

Supportive and helpful management

Working at ACP has really been a great experience for me! I’ve been able to learn a great deal from my direct supervisors and feel very valued everyday in my position. I really love all of the children and families and enjoy being a part of the team!

Pros

Great benefits, great pay, supportive management team

Cons

Unreliable coworkers

Dysfunctional Company-High Stress Job With Little Reward

Where to start? A Child's Place has so much potential. It's a brilliant idea to bridge district education with extended day childcare. However, this company is the most poorly executed company that I have ever worked for. Staffing is an absolute nightmare. They are either short staffed or the staff they have is not fit to perform even the most basic job duties. This results in the enrichment teachers and/or assistants not only fulfilling their daily responsibilities but also those of support staff. Anyone who has ever been in education knows how much is required of teachers; taking on additional responsibilities of colleagues is unacceptable. When brought to management's attention they brush it off; incompetent staff is better than no staff and they know their teachers will pick up the slack of others. In addition to wearing the hats of multiple roles, your pay will not reflect your efforts. In my 3 years, I never saw a raise or an honest observation. I would receive an evaluation from a supervisor that never once observed in my classroom; I was asked to sign this phony evaluation so that their files were up to date during state inspection. I cannot speak for all benefits, but PTO is a joke. During my tenure, I was never given more than 3 days off per school year. If the district closed, I either had to use one of my limited paid days or go without pay altogether. A Child's Place prefers their teachers to have a master's level education, yet their PTO reflects an entry level job (at best). PTO increases to 5 days after 5 years of service; very few employees -

ACP looks to provide a space where their employees feel valued, while creating a space for children to find success through creativity.

Although my time with ACP is relatively new, I have loved every minute of being a part of this team! Being a part of such an inclusive culture is a great way to find and create success as a Director.

Pros

Great people, work/life balance, compensation, culture

Great place to start my career in child care

A Child's Place was a great place to start my career in child care. My director and co-workers have been supportive and positive. I love that I get to spend my days helping students grow!

WORST company I ever worked for!!!

Working at A Child’s Place was a terrible experience. Starting from management to toxic coworkers. Everyday there seemed to be an issue with something. The pay is extremely low for what is expected from you. Especially with all the holidays and summer off. I would not recommend working here unless you like being overwork-worked, under-appreciated, stressed out everyday over a low paying job.

Pros

Cons

Poor communication, Low Pay, Bad management

Look elsewhere!!

A Child’s place is horrible company to work for. Everyday seemed like a chaotic disaster with poor planning. Wake up feeling sick one day? Sorry you are forced to come in. The excuse is being “short staffed”. But no wonder ACP is short staffed they treat their staff like garbage. There is minimal support from management.

Pros

Working with students

Cons

Management, Pay, easily brunt out, rude coworkers

High Turnover & Low Employee Value

I love the kids and summers off. The pros end there. Management is rarely around. Staff is poorly trained. I often carried the job responsibilities of myself and others. As a Lead, I was expected to pick up the slack of others.

Really great place with supportive management

I really enjoy working at A Child's Place. This is a great environment to work directly and hands on with children. While the industry is difficult, ACP makes things better for Early Childhood Educators, The management is supportive and helpful especially during this difficult time of COVID. I love the families and the children that I get to work with each day!

Pros

good pay, supportive management, helpful co-workers

Cons

na

Opportunities for growth!

A Child's Place has given me the opportunities to grow and expand my teaching experience in classroom and leadership settings. It is a great way for teachers to build relationships with district staff. The wide variety of shifts/flexibility can fit all needs!

Pros

Caring Coworkers, Flexible Schedule

Cons

n/a

A Child's Place is a great company to work for!

A Child's Place is a wonderful company. They offer many different schedules to fit your need and work/life balance. We have many locations in Chester, Montgomery and Bucks County (child care centers and school district programs). You can work full time or part time and there is room for advancement in the company! Working before and after care in our school district programs gives you flexibility throughout the day! Everyone is very friendly and helpful! I enjoy my job!

Pros

Flexible schedule, friendly staff, working with children and families in our community!

Cons

N/a

This company is unfortunately unable to be truly successful.

This is a good job for beginners in childcare, (even though you are in one of the wealthiest districts in PA...you would think they would want expertise). However, saying what I just mentioned, they pay for what they get. You pay for quality which they refuse to do. They let many valuable employees go due to poor management and poor quality coworkers. If you are a good quality worker you get taken advantage of. If it wasn't for most of the good quality people who work for that company, they wouldn't be in business. It's a shame because this company has potential, however management just doesn't humanize their staff. Childcare is already a difficult field to work in let alone not having the support from management or your team. It all stems from the top of the chain, it that doesn't change, the company culture will never change.

Pros

Good for beginners

Cons

Bad for quality people with expertise

Director cares about 'bodies' in the classroom not quality teachers

Director/Management don't care about the quality of staff they hire or keep. Some staff are just terrible. To be fair there are some amazing teachers. Teachers a constantly out of ratio for example young toddler ratio is 1:5 however teaches often have 6 or 7 children and if teachers complain about it the are treated badly going forward. Teachers are not supported and not given resources they need to do their job. Teachers are expected to buy everything from paint to staples and everything in between. The excuse was - there was no money due to the pandemic. Teachers don't get planning time - None! Teachers are given short notice to stay for a meeting or parent night. Toddler play ground as many broken equipment.

Pros

Free coffee and water

Cons

No Support

I love my coworkers, but do not love management

At the school level, the company culture is great. I love the people I work with. Higher management feels like a mess. Workers' safety and security is not valued, it's all about the money. The company no longer provides basic supplies needed to do the job, "due to the financial impact of COVID," impeding the ability to do the job. I've never seen or met the CEO, and what little communication workers had from her during the pandemic-induced shutdown was impersonal and sparse. Raises are virtually unheard of unless you fight for it every year.

Cons

Long hours with no designated breaks, expensive benefits, lack of communication from management, no raises, no supplies

It’s great if placed right

Management here sucks. They talk about everyone and pick favorites. Management can’t be trusted and they mess with your pay stubs. Also the people at different schools think they are the boss over everyone. This company was a good foot in the door but they need a better management.

Overall easy

Management will have favoritism over some employees. If a parent does not like you then just know that you are on the hot seat with management as well.

Poor management

I loved being able to work in an elementary school and being able to work with kids of all ages. The problem I had was that management only cared about themselves. Communication was at a minimum. I had one peer employee that I worked with directly and she was not appropriate at all. Wore inappropriate outfits to a children's school, would cuss at the children, would flip the children the bird, and would make fun of the kids all the time. And, was a bit racist to be blunt. I had brought up these worries to three of my managers, and not a single one cared or thought there was a problem. I am disgusted to know that they are okay with having someone like that work around children.

Never work there

Management here is a joke. There is no training given to new teachers and the negativity is ridiculously high. I am currently looking for a job elsewhere because I don't know how much more I can take.

abcd

Good pay, good benefits, long hours, decent corporate structure, not a large turn over for staff, good families and co workers, yearly raise, yearly bonus

Productive place to work with kids

This job was a good place to work when you are in school, the kids are amazing, but the management is horrible. They play favorites and are unfair in many ways, no benefits and the hours are not much.

Common questions about A Child’s Place

Answered by current and former employees at A Child’s Place

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A Child’s Place. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits