A123 Systems Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Fun place to work
Senior Product Design & Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIMay 8, 2018
limited growth with the company, need to get more business , need to hire more engineers, over all it can be very good company with good future and products
Productive, Challenging and fun with ping pong table
Engineering Testing Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAApril 18, 2018
Fast pace, challenging tasks. Project schedules are very aggressive.
Nice, and friendly colleagues.
People are smart and competent, some people helps each other, some are not. Salaries aren't good. Company has their ups and downs, and here very slow.
Pros
New products, new chemistry.
Cons
Short breaks, no advancement opportunities.
Clean place to work no advandcement
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIMarch 12, 2018
No room for advandcement you will always get overlooked... poorly ran parts always coming in late and having to work over time at the last minute...management is ran very poorly
A123 systems.
Sr.Electrical Controls Engineer Manufacturing (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIMarch 8, 2018
Typical Day at work involves troubleshooting issue with automation to assist the maintenance techs and other engineers to resolve problems, it also include dealing with MES issues whether debugging connectivity or new gate check requirements, Project PLC programming, At times it might include Managing Technology issues dealing with outside Support groups in specific technolgies requiring outside assistance. The Culture at A123 was probably the best I had experienced in 40 years. Every interaction was non-competative and always a collaborative effort to improve upond the way we did business or to improve the productivity and/or quality of production practices and the final product. Most enjoyable for me was troubleshooting plant issues and providing programming changes when required. We were given a lot of freedom in terms of creativity in providing solutions to machine seqeuncing issues.
Pros
A123 systems had a broad range of capable individuals supporting the plant
Cons
Limited American Customer Base. Most sales were offshore, Hence the move of production to Germany and China
Learned a lot working here
Quality Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIFebruary 22, 2018
For years this was a great job but companies have their ups and downs and the downs here were very low. In all, I was given a great opportunity here in the quality department to advance my skill set due to my hard work ethic.
Above average place to work
Technician, Quality (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIFebruary 11, 2018
Work was steady at all times. You were always either working or in a group meeting finding out about the the new changes in the job or benefits. It was a joy to work there.
Pros
new products
Cons
short breaks
no longer in business
Cell Formation Technician (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIFebruary 4, 2018
the company went out of business ,long hours
the management is full of lies and they always lie. Work hours always change including shift hours start and end
Clueless Executive Management
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 29, 2018
Sales have dropped by 300% yet there is no clear path forward. The company has never made a dime yet executive team has paid themselves huge bonuses. All in the name of talent "retention". If there was and real game changing talent the company would be in much better shape given the fact that the industry as a whole continues to grow and thrive.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
no advancement opportunities. Slow sales=LAYOFFS
It's a job
Test Engineer, Automotive Systems Group (ASG) (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 17, 2018
This is a really annoying requirement, kind of like a high school essay topic. Not sure why this is even a requirement. But here's a 150 characters to satisfy some bizzarro need.
Tab Welder
Tab Welder (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MI 48152November 26, 2017
Responsibilities included light maintenance making sure the automated Tab Welding stayed running. Closely watching the whole battery cell making process to make no scrap was being made.
Checking every cell individually for defects. Accounting for downtime, scrap, production numbers.Maintaining and cleaning area after shift for the next shift.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIAugust 24, 2017
Not a bad place to work. Friendly people and clean work environment. Very helpful work force. The operators and management were very helpful. I am sorry that there was a closing of the facility.
Pros
Cons
Wages were stagnant
good place to work
Senior Applications Engineer (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 17, 2017
The work was challenging, and it was overall a fine place to work. Doing good work into Lithium Ion battery development for various industries and applications
hard to go in every day
Formation Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJuly 14, 2017
Was a good place to work I enjoyed my job. till they announce that they are closing down half the plant and sending it to China in 3 month with no incentive to keep people motivated.
Pros
upper management get paid well
Cons
operators get looked over for raises
Relaxed Environment
Production Operator II (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIJuly 12, 2017
Very relaxed environment, not too much physical labor just long hours. Takes too long to get hired in and the management is not too efficient at resolving employee disputes
Pros
Chill place to work
Cons
takes too long to get hired in
Work in progress
Production Group Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJune 28, 2017
A123 is a work in progress. The company was a start-up and had a hard time figuring out what its core business should be. From what I hear, things have turned around for the better.
Fun workplace
Group Leader/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJune 22, 2017
The shift rotation was a dream come true. The 12 hours two day work and then two days off, with every other weekend being a Friday, Saturday, Sunday off or working.
Good place to work, poor management
Anode Coating Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Romulus, MIJune 13, 2017
from a work aspect the job was great. I worked with some awesome people and learned a lot. management was poor and the company basically ran itself into the ground.
Pros
good work environment, good pay and benefits.
Cons
poor management and lack of communication to employees.
production work , long hours
Maintenance Tech on automation products (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJune 12, 2017
12 hour shifts in a clean room at - 50 humidity . very clean place to work . good benefits . you work two days on get three days off , three days on and two days off . just couldn't get use to that.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
very clean place to work
The job is unstable constant layoffs and unprofessional staff.
Production Machine operator (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJune 5, 2017
you never know whats going on when working at A123, The job is very unprofessional supervisors constantly use profanity although it was in a joking manner often times. It still came across very unprofessional. The hiring manger Tiffany Coleman never know whats going on with everyone's employment regarding layoffs which was frustrating and she is very secretive with telling you information about your job. December 26, 2017 the day after Christmas everyone was randomly laid off. The supervisors did not let us be aware of what was going on before hand nor after, instead we were randomly notified with calls on an off day informing us that we would not return into further notice. half of the employees were let go and others like my self had to randomly wait to find out what was going with employment. we didn't start back work until the end of march and once we came back we were notified that we were only there temporary until June 30th with no reasons why ? worst job I could every have. Highly recommend else where if you are looking for something stable, less layoff & STABLE.
sometime they might mess up on your pay this have happen to me several times so please watch out and keep track of how much you are making.
Pros
its no longer 12 hour shifts
Cons
layoffs, unprofessional, Unstable, everyone is clueless when it comes to your concerns.
Hours are harsh
Production Pack Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIMay 30, 2017
Lots of hours, great checks, but little family time. Work a lot of weekends. People I work with are great to be around. Like to be able to learn new things.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
no family time