AECOM Employee Reviews

Found 2,399 reviews matching the search See all 3,554 reviews
Overall a pretty good place to work but is relying more and more on outsourcing jobs to save money
GIS Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 5, 2019
The Good:
AECOM provides a nice atmosphere in which to work. Flexible hours and the option to work remotely are two of the best perks. Salary is competitive, management is good at communicating important information, and sponsored events occur throughout the year.

The Bad:
Management's laser focus on cutting overhead costs comes at the expense of worker satisfaction. They are outsourcing more and more jobs overseas to save money and are quick to lay off anybody who is struggling to maintain a large enough billable workload. Company loyalty is nonexistent as the focus has turned to getting rid of older workers with higher salaries and hiring cheaper entry-level employees.
Highly bureaucratic and risk-averse
PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2018
AECOM treats its labor impersonally. The company offers poor benefits and is not shy about eroding them to satisfy shareholder demand. I had anticipated the opportunity to do innovative work, but found that the company is highly bureaucratic and risk-averse. Because there is no room for overhead, there are few formal opportunities to gain skills. People are also fiercely protective of their timesheets, and often interpret offers to help make things move efficiently as an attempt to "steal" their work.
Pros
Exposure to diverse clients; opportunity to work on world-class projects
Cons
Management that prioritizes short-term profit over long-term strategy
Experience depends on the project and the team you are working with.
Assistant Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2018
As with the norm of the ACE industry, job security depends on the market timing and your project.

Being part of AECOM Tishman, the project level executives are great, they are hands on and involved. They will help you as much as they can with your career progression as possible.

Regular AECOM is a different story.

Negotiate your salary as high as possible before joining a project.

AECOM/and Tishman needs to start implementing technology or they will get left behind...
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
promotions
Mixed Feelings
Mechanical Estimator, Pre-Construction Lead (Current Employee) –  Annapolis Junction, MDAugust 17, 2018
I was hired as part of an expansion of the division. Was never provided any training on AECOM procedures and was reprimanded within the first 30-day for not following procedures. This culture continued through my employment which created undue stress. When this was presented to management, management refused to offer training and stated I would just have to learn as I go. Approached management about the necessary tools to perform my duties and were met constant red tape and excuse why modern estimating programs could not be put into place. Also was forced to do Construction Management of which I was told when hired I would not have to do as the estimator. This also created undue stress and when I approached management about it, I was met with rhetoric, and told to suck it up.
Pros
Large Company with good benefits
Cons
Bad Management
Horrible management and Cheap Labor
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 17, 2018
This place is driven by greedy management and cheap labor concept. HR Management is a joke... no one has a clue if HR exists. You are on your own and keep making money for th big boss and his followers. Sometime you wonder if this a public company. HR Leadership is committed to sending all jobs to the Philippines and India...any place you can find labor at cheap rate. Project Managers struggle to work with clients as their is no functional support. The compensation team works on confidential data to recommend salaries... no one has access the data. Technology is the key to “saving money” for everything whether you have knowledge input or not..The whole concept is based on call center mentality (round the clock service by people who have no understanding of business).. you call for help and they have no answers...will direct you back to where you should have started! And the company has US Government contracts....
Pros
Some very good Project Management teams
Cons
Low morale, low pay and benefits, insecurity, replace Americans with cheap labor in developing nations
adequate compensation, dreadful hours, cut-throat work culture, nepotism and poor management
Mechanical Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Pueblo Chemical Depot, CONovember 4, 2018
Given the task of de-militarization/neutralization of live chemical weapons, some of the work was extremely dangerous. That said, the compensation was well deserved. The hours/schedule were brutal due to use of the "du-pont" schedule. I found the work culture and environment very toxic, misleading, dishonest and confusing due to blatant nepotism and poor advancement practices.
Constant change
Engineer (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 7, 2018
Working for a huge company like AECOM comes with many challenges, constant change is one of them. It doesn't seem like anyone cares to teach new company initiatives, when something changes it takes forever for the average employee to hear about it and actually benefit from it.

There is no incentive to perform, i.e. bonuses, recognition, etc. while many projects require overtime to accomplish. The only plus is paid overtime but that isn't enough to make most people want to work extra.

Bottom line is so important, it seems like professional development & training is something you have to beg for because it is an overhead cost.

Healthcare & 401k are average.
Take a real serious look before you make a decision to work for this company.
Employee (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 3, 2018
Don't let this company fool you. Take a real serious look before you make a decision to work for this company. Company paints a rosy picture which is not true. Poor raises, no direction, no communication and moral is terrible outside of headquarters in LA. Talk to people that have worked for the legacy companies. Get their opinions before you decide. When you are laid off they escort you out the door immediately. We have had people return to retrieve their personal belongings. The section of the company I work for is very unethical and is a "good old boy" network when it comes to who gets positions and laid off.
Pros
Free coffee for now but that may change.
Cons
Unstable future.
Great work environment
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 8, 2018
Love the variety of work from day-to-day. Benefits are great with the exception of the cost of health insurance (but I think that's most companies the days). The company provides each office with a budget specific for building employee moral and collaboration as part of their Great Place 2 Work (GP2W) Program. Their main focus is the safety and health of their employees, and work towards improving processes to ensure their safety. While some days can be stressful, staff work together as a team to help reduce tension and work overload.
Pros
Benefits, pay, collaboration, support for staff
Cons
Cost of some benefits
Great co-workers, management weak, career advancement obsolete
Lead Plumber/Steam Fitter (Former Employee) –  Pearl River, NYSeptember 22, 2018
Company does not care about retention when it comes to employees. I had been employed for a little over 3 years and have seen over 20 people leave Staff is only 26 total. Most left for more money and better benefits. Management or the lack of was the also the reason. It is a shame because they have had some very talented and professional employees
Pros
Great people, flex time
Cons
Unqualified management

Want to know more about AECOM?

Ask a question
Typical Large Engineering Firm
Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dahlgren, VANovember 19, 2018
Work days are normal when compared to the other local firms. I was previously employed by URS until AECOM purchased the company. Following that, we lost a couple of holidays and the 401k match was cut in half. I travel a ton with my position and work between 50-80 hours during travel weeks. The workplace culture has become more about how we can make AECOM money vs taking care of employees.
Recruiters use word play to attract you to the job overseas
Material Coordinator (Current Employee) –  BagrāmOctober 7, 2018
A day at work consists of only about one or two (if you are lucky) tasks a day. I have a lead who does not want to provide training information for the purpose of securing his position. My daily tasks are not clear until I raised a concern to my Supervisor.
Pros
Learning the Cargo side of Transportation
Cons
Does not contribute to my career goals as I expected
Good company
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVDecember 27, 2018
AECOM is a great company in all areas, including opportunity, culture, pay & benefits, travel and work life balance. You are basically a consultant working contract to contract, so you must sell as well as do the work.
Pros
Culture, opportunity, pay & benefits
Cons
Seller-Doer model
Good pay and work/home balance
Principal Engineer/Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 30, 2018
My review may not be typical of all AECOM divisions or offices as it is a huge company so read my review with that in mind. AECOM is a good company overall and is a good company for new workers, females and minorities. Females seem to be represented well and treated fairly from what I have seen. There are not that many other minorities but I do not think it is because of anything below board from the company. Our office just does not seem to get very many minorities to apply. The pay is good and the benefits seem to be on par with what similar companies provide. There is a good balance of work and home life with AECOM. There is opportunity for rapid advancement especially for someone interested in project management. The working conditions are pretty good but IT support and computer equipment has not been all that good. The worst thing I see is that AECOM does not permit enough paid opportunities to train workers on learning new skills unless they are lucky enough to have a mentor willing to train them on the job. There are numerous on-line technical courses that one can take at no cost on your own time but very few classroom paid technical training sessions available.
Pros
Good pay, decent benefits, good home-work balance
Cons
Lack of formal paid technical training
Stressful
Munitions Handler/Control Room Operator/SDC Lead (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYNovember 25, 2018
Stressful and did not have much support from management. Felt like there was little chance for advancement, especially for females. There were many people who did their job well and management kept them there.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
A strong and grounded company
SUPPLY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 6, 2018
I really love working for AECOM. I was hired right after I retired from the Navy. I've been there every since even through the change. I have received 2 pay raises and I plan on working with them for as long as they would have me.
Pros
Guaranteed your 40hrs. as long as you come to work
Cons
There is no advancement with this company.
Competative wage and benefits
Project Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INDecember 11, 2018
The salary and benefits are competitive for the market.
The management staff is supportive and responsive to concerns of the employees.
The company offers numerous opportunities for training.
Good people, but company lacking stellar senior management
Senior Geologist/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAAugust 14, 2018
Nice people to work for, but job security constant concern. Focus is on profits and utilization rather than career development. Less than stellar management. Difficult to advance.
Pros
Able to work from home. Overall good benefits.
Cons
Career advancement lacking in some sectors (environmental). Bureaucratic.
Morale
Senior Logistic Operation Analyst (Former Employee) –  KuwaitDecember 10, 2018
The company provide and awesome morale with great benefits and bonus package to there employees open door policy with the CEO gives a fresh opportunity to employers and allow you to complete the mission.
Pros
Excellent
Benefits
No job security here
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2018
No job security for any support departments. If your department isn't a money maker, your job is in jeopardy. Constant changing of policies and procedures.
Pros
Free breakfast, decent compensation
Cons
No job security. Poor morale among employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AECOM. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K
41.2K

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.4Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss