Aflac logo
Aflac
Happiness rating is 57 out of 100Below average

Aflac Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location.
Not your desired location?Choose a different one

Found 44 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,633 reviews

Aflac insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Good place

Working at HQ isn't too bad. It is like every other place. It is what you put into it. There are some great leaders, and there are some that are lacking.

Great for anyone that wants to be paid based on the work they put in!

This career is extremely rewarding, assuming you work hard and hit your appointment numbers. Management is extremely helpful in ensuring your success, but they are not going to do your job for you. If you work hard, they will bend over backward to ensure you make money quickly and consistently. If you are lazy and don’t put in the effort, you can’t expect them to help you. I now opened my own brokerage, but still bring Aflac into all of my accounts.

Pros

Great mentorship, lots of hands on experience, good training, amazing trips, great incentives

Cons

Hard to set owner meetings, but just like anything, it’s a numbers game

Lack of mentorship makes the opportunity difficult

I worked for AFLAC at the Silver Spring location for about two months and the experience was not worth it at all. This is a very unprofessional team that strives to bring the most employees into AFLAC that they can because they get paid bonuses for it. This office is run by a husband-and-wife team. They have multiple shelves stuffed full of trophies for bringing the most new hires to AFLAC that year, going back many years. If you do not believe me, take a meeting with them and look at the bookshelf in the conference room.They will have you sit in an open classroom type setting, give you a list of hundreds of names and phone numbers, then tell you to cold call them with a poor script that “has worked for him his whole career”. They take something like 50% of your commissions while they “teach” you, but what they really need is young people to bring on new accounts so they can keep making money, through the 50% they take off the commission and those bonuses for new hires from AFLAC.During the hiring process I was told that I would be reimbursed for the licensing costs if completed within a set time frame. I met the time frame and they never paid for my licenses. The Silver Spring AFLAC team is very unprofessional and deceitful. Be careful of this “opportunity”. I am glad I tried this job out and it could work out well for someone with a more professional mentor but I do wish I had gotten this type of insight before working for the Silver Spring location.

Pros

Independence

Cons

Lack of training

Fast paced environment with a lot of room to grow

I moved to North Carolina, but I was at this office for three years and couldn't have asked for a better environment. If you are considering B2B insurance sales, and you work hard, I strongly recommend this organization. I went from a W2 job, making 50K a year, while working harder than my bosses, to making over six figures, just by listening to my Aflac mentor and continuing to work hard. If you are lazy, this is not for you. Of the people that quit, it's often because they didn't make the kind of money they wanted to make in their first two weeks. A month is not going to give you an accurate representation of how well you can do here. The sales cycle is incredibly fast, but you have to put in the work and grind, especially in the beginning. The regional manager here probably works even harder than anyone in the office, which I respect.

Pros

Awesome management that truly wants everyone to succeed. Great trips. Fun work environment.

Cons

No warm leads provided

Work hard, Play hard

This career is definitely not for everyone. I even thought it may not be for me during my first 6 months. You have to work hard prospecting, and following up, but it pays off ten fold. Nothing good in life comes easy. If you work hard, you’re diligent, and consistent, you can build a great life for yourself. Everyone here helps eachother win.

Pros

High commissions, great incentives, good bonuses, great office culture

Cons

No incentive trips currently due to COVID

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

All commission

All commission and not the best training. As and intern I felt like they brought us in just to get sales from our warm leads. There were twice as many interns as there were agents.

Productive and Fun Place to Work

It is fully commissioned based when you first start. The more business you write the more you build your monthly residual income. You must put in the work to do good

Fun workplace, not the best pay

If you are good at selling this should be easy for you. Try to learn quickly on your own. Closing accounts by yourself will give you the best pay. Good luck.

Commission Only Sales

AFLAC is a great place to start your career but most people do not make it a whole year. It is very tough to make it, but work-life balance is great. They promote from within and based on your numbers so it is a fair culture. Would work there again if they had benefits.

nice people to work with, but this type of sales work is not for everyone

In order to make a livable wage in this company you must make around 200 cold calls a day (roughly 1,000 a week). They did not tell me this beforehand and implied I would be receiving "warm leads" which was 100% not true. There is no base salary and no benefits, and enrolling yourself in Aflac benefits is actually more expensive than what your clients pay. The best part of the job is that you can make your own schedule and do the work wherever you want, and I found the people who worked at the office were very kind and helpful.

Pros

flexible work schedule, pleasant office atmosphere

Cons

making hundreds of cold calls a day, 100% commission with no benefits

Jobs at Aflac

See more jobs

Positive work environment

The company and the atmosphere was pleasant. Since the position was in sales, there was quite a bit of cold-calling which was my least favorite activity and the uncertainty of being commission-based was a problem with my current situation.

100% Sales.

As a regional administrator, you work directly for the regional manager. It's essentially an assistant position so take that for what it is. As a representative for Aflac it is 100% sales and commission. I would not recommend it if you need money right away or if you don't have a book of clients built up. It costs money to get a license and it takes time to build a clientele. You will be doing lots of cold calling and grinding to get appointments.

amazing place to build your company

Your co-workers are there to help you and drive you to succeed. I was able to gain valuable experience every day from the job requirements and would recommend this position to anyone.

Pros

flexible schedule, work control, amazing enviroment

Cons

no base salary

Rigorous sales environment, more focused on sales then the client.

A typical day at work involved self marketing, closing meetings, enrollments, and strategic planning. I learned to be self sufficient by having to complete all of my own tasks and being responsible for my own business. Management was very weak and did not try to properly train employees, which created a high turnover. The workplace culture was a very much "What have you done for me lately" culture. I was able to learn how to recruit credible employees by using a different structure then what was being trained at the time. The hardest part of my job was penetrating a saturated market. As healthcare has become more expensive, clients do not want to purchase alternative benefits. I enjoyed being able to learn how to operate a difficult field.

Pros

many awards given out, good work experience, created great business relationships.

Cons

compensation was too low, no paid time off, saturated market conditions.

fun workplace

good place to work if you are a starting a new career. I would not work at AFLAC if I was 10 years into the workforce. The work culture was inviting and I enjoyed the environment.

summary

Lots of cold calling so if you are into that then this is a good job for you. Pay is off of commission, so there were days I worked 8 hours and never made money.

Fun place to work, but lack of career advancement

I was thrown to the wolves, and had very littler training. Self taught most of it, and had no room for advancement due to manager. If I had better management it would have been a more positive experience

good

im glad i had the opportunity to participate in their human resources internship program. i learned a lot and met new people and learned kay hr responsibilities

Horrible Internship

was not the internship i was expecting. thought i would be shadowing underwriting or auditing, was actually out pedaling sales in the streets. would not recommend.

I was just not good at selling insurance

Aflac is an amazing company with wonderful products. However, if you are not good at sales and closing deals, you will not make a dollar. Working at Aflac was fun, but I wasn't good at it.

Pros

Great work environment

Cons

Commission only

Human resource intern

A typical day starts with looking at career/job websites trying to find applicants that are suited for working for insurance companies like AFLAC - you then contact them either via phone or by e-mail with a standard letterhead. The more interviews you can secure as a human resource intern you are paid a salary. I learned as a human resource intern what goes into deciding who would be a good candidate for insurance sales, I was allowed the freedom to create a new template for job hiring inquiry. I did have an excellent manager who did take a chance on hiring me as an intern and I did have flexible hours in so far as I could call as many people as I wanted and stay as long as I wanted since I was an intern. The hardest part of the job was trying to secure potential interview candidates because getting paid depended on it. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the different job experience other than working sales

Pros

Having internship experience

Cons

Not getting paid if you could not secure an interview

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aflac. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.2K

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight