AT&T | Spring Mobile Employee Reviews

Brain washing poor managmet
Business Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Summerville, SCSeptember 14, 2018
More complicated to complete an order than making a bomb. No training on systems get thrown right in the fire. Management grades you on memorizing a stupid chant....
Pros
Discount
fun
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 13, 2018
fun work environment, branding culture, equips staff with necessary tools to make their job more effective. listens to what their employees have concerns with.
Cons
mandatory overtime
A great company to work for dependent on who is above you.
Retail Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 12, 2018
This is a great company to work for depending on which manager is above you, less qualified people and less experienced people get promoted over those who are experienced and overqualified. This company does very well to take care of the district managers and regional directors. even does a very good job of taking care of sales reps however store managers are left in the dust they are over micromanaged to the point of uselessness and aren’t given the freedoms to actually run their stores in an efficient manner
Pros
Culture at a corporate level, actually a part of something good.
Cons
Micromanagement to the extreme
Super fun job in a competitive industry with high but attainable goal expectations, livable salary, work/home life somewhat unbalanced
Retail Operations and Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport, ARSeptember 2, 2018
I loved working for Spring Mobile under authorization of AT&T. I managed the Newport and Bryant, Arkansas locations, separately. I originally started out under Cellular World which was later bought out by Spring. The work/home balance was definitely not equally weighted and you definitely put in your hours whether you're a sales rep or a manager but you can make great money for yourself in commission and bonuses so it can be worth it if you are focused. The only issue I had was with the upper management structure and their lack of vecks and balances for area manager. While at the Newport location which was almost 5 years I was fortunate enough to have had an area manager who was consistently on top of his game and kept our team very well informed and communicated openly with each of his store managers multiple times each day, which is actually necessary given the amount of approval needed for specials and discounts. Once I transferred to the other store I was in a new territory and there had been no area or store manager for months and no one had picked up the slack in their absence. It made the transition very hard and quite frankly, impossible to turn around in a short amount of time. Quite a bit of damage had been done to the staff regarding efficient training and without any guidance or supervision they'd all developed very bad habits and weren't too keen on creating constructive habits. This is what led to my leaving the company and it was extremely unfortunate because I absolutely loved the time I spent there for the previous 4 1/2 years. I'm sure the management restructuring  more... has settled down and sorted itself out by now however I learned just how much harder my original manager worked at providing leadership for our team than most of the other ones did for theirs so to work at this company you most certainly have to be on your toes and great at staying current on changing information.  less
Pros
Bonuses, Incentives, Contests
Cons
Long hours, ever-changing technology to keep up to date with
it was ok but alot of inconsistency
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VASeptember 1, 2018
in bonus, commissions, and overall pay kept fluctuating due to new purchases the company was making so due to our store location we have sales expections as on of the big stores off of a busy street off a vactional site.
Pros
manager on site very flexible
Cons
bad loaction for a store, and pay and commission were on a variable base
Great place to work if you can keep up with pace
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Belmont, NCAugust 30, 2018
If you're great at selling and a people person this is the job for you. There is a large amount of money to be made between pay and commission if you're willing to put in the effort.
Pros
Paid Time Off, 401K, Insurance
Cons
Varying Commision structures, Monthly goals would sometimes change weekly to daily.
6 Years of Spring Mobile
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 29, 2018
Spring was great back in 2012 when I joined the company and they were only at 80 locations. Over the years and with the Gamestop buy out Spring really became more corporate. I can understand things change, specially when you're owned by an even larger company such as Gamestop but that does not mean the culture should change. Spring more focused on becoming Americas Largest Authorized Retailer, instead of focusing on the quality of their locations. A lot of LMS (Low Market Share) locations along with Tier 5 (stores that bring in the lowest amount of Gross Profit). Listed below are a few reasons I left Spring Mobile after 6 years.

Pay: Spring does not adjust for cost of living areas, they tried when they switched managers from salary to hourly in 2017/18 however it was pretty low. Living in the PNW off $16 dollars an hour is a joke. I lived in city where the average apartment cost is $1600+, and the housing options start at 700k+. I asked for 2 raises within the 2016-2018 period and was told "I am sorry there is nothing we can do but if you focus on selling..blah,blah,blah". They gave me the corporate run around on how to pad my check selling. Nice try, I was here for 6 years I know how to sell. I need an increased hourly paycheck for the times I stand by the door waiting for customers to sell. How am I expected to start a family and purchase a home off 16 dollars an hour? Also Spring eliminated LTI payments (long term incentive) so tenured employees no longer gets bonuses for staying committed to the company. How you do not get a raise after each year with Spring blows my
  more... minds and its not like you can just give yourself a promotion. If you work at a Tier 3 location and a rep gets promoted to a Tier 3 location after a month you both now make the same amount of money. Makes sense right? Everyone knows in a commission job as well there is good months and bad months, Spring expects you to do amazing every single month and that is unrealistic.

Staffing: Springs biggest problem is their staffing issues. They use a stupid "Tracking tool" to see door swings, and based off that it will tell you how many reps you need during peak hours, and how many people your location can have. Whats terrible about that is during holiday its gonna say you're busy and then after holiday you're gonna have to fire some people which is typical in retail. But they do not let you staff accordingly specially when you are there all day everyday so you know the foot traffic of YOUR business. Reps are to be scheduled 32 hours now (because before we scheduled 40 hours, but with reps showing up half hour early, or staying late dealing with customers Spring was paying out OT), and managers are to be scheduled just 40 hours. Before it was 45 hours on salary managers, and 40 for reps. As you can tell that meant work managers like crazy because we do not have to pay overtime. Spring has an extremely high turn over rate, because we hire whomever, there is not enough commission and we literally micromanage every small thing that is done that reps eventually get tired and/or burnt out and realize there is better jobs with more pay and less stress. I was told during my 8 am to 8 pm shifts to please not close the location even though legally I would get an hour long lunch period and 2 15 minute breaks.

Work/life Balance: None exist at Spring Mobile. Not only will you be forced to put your work email and work group chats on PERSONAL devices, but you will be forced to attend District Rallies every single month (usual start time around 9 PM), and Store Managers will be required to attend Region Rallies as well. Your phone will go off all hours of the night because people ask questions or crack jokes at 10 PM, but you will also be called on your days off my reps asking questions (usually from customers upset demanding to speak to a manager) or your DM wont respect your time away from work and will text your or call you asking why this or that is not done. If you literally enjoy working a job that is at times 15+ hours (iPhone launch day) this is the job for you. Expect to be called into work, or asked to cover other locations with poor staffing cause Springs recruitment team kicks back and relaxes.

Career Advancement: Gonna be blunt here, getting to the store manager role is easy. I saw a rep get promoted after 2 months to a store manager because no one else worked that location, and no one applied for the posted job ad. Great, so the guy that has been here a whole 2 months now makes the same pay as me? That does not make much sense at all. Anything about a SM role is near impossible to get to cause Market Directors (formerly Regional Directors) only hire their buddies. I applied to around 9 DM positions in my 6 years and only got a call for 1 interview of which I personally know the MD and called him telling him that I had applied. As for the others, I never got a phone call or email to set up an interview time, or that they declined my application. Become friends with higher ups, that is exactly how you get promoted from the SM level and expect to stay at the SM level for YEARS. Spring used to have a Google Doc called "Depth Chart" but after about 2017 it never got brought up again so you had no idea if you were next in line, or working towards a promotion. Nothing makes you feel like you're wasting your life then not knowing if you are moving in the right direction, its super discouraging to see people with less tenure ship move above you. Does not speak highly of the company.

I finally woke up one day and knew I deserved better. When I left my MD did not even call to ask why I was leaving, or if there was anything he could personally do to get me to stay. I was burnt out and tired of working 8 AM to 8 PM in a slow location. I was not allowed to have more then 1 other rep in my location that was open 7 days a week, 10+ hours per day. Spring focused more quantity of quality and unfortunately that is why so many people are leaving, from reps to store managers to even district managers. Slower stores suffering and get no help. You get bombarded with training's every single month, and mangers are over worked. Store managers are expected to do role plays, observations, inventory counts, physical an digital whiteboards, operational items, ship and track phones, write ups, clean, and sell all on top of that. I sent multiple emails to my District Manager and after a day he would give me the corporate run around "I went to bat for you man and there said they cant pay you more, as for staffing you are just going to have to work around that". Uh what?! Managers do not manage anymore we are told how many people to hire, fire, when to schedule, what days we can have off, when to do meetings and such. I got tired of sitting on pointless calls EVERY SINGLE MORNING to talk about DIRECT TV, we just started shoveling it down customers throats. Poor 90 year old woman who came in with flip phone issues but if we did not offer her TV's we were tore into. Leaving Spring Mobile was the best career move of my life, its just sad my concerns fell on deaf ears and I did not even get so much as a call to stay with the company.
Pros
Phone discounts, warm store during winter, cold during summer, live DTV playing during the day.
Cons
No breaks, low pay, no career advancement opportunities, micromanagement, work/life balance, stress, revolving door job.
Great place to work, friendly environment
Entertainment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAAugust 26, 2018
Great workplace, people were always friendly, great communication skills from up-lines, although the location that i worked at for this particular employer was not optimal for a sales environment.
This job is overwhelmingly stressful.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaAugust 25, 2018
As a store manager you are expected to work 46 hours a week and attend last minute meetings that are over an hour away. Quarterly you have a late night “rally” to attend. The job gives you no time to yourself. You have to sit on calls constantly, most of which are meaningless. The DM’s (your boss as a store manager) has no guidance or direction. They can’t answer questions in a timely manner, they just tell you to ask someone else. You’ll have truckloads of operational items (back office work) that usually takes about 4-6, which they now tell you should be finished in about 2 hours so you have more “sales floor time”. Sales floor time is spent shoving TV down angry customers throats. People come in to rip your head off all day and you’re expected to kiss their butt so they leave buying something from you. The turn-over rate has been TERRIBLE so every store is understaffed. Long customer waits which just fired them up even more. This job made me miserable. You get calls from your boss, other managers, and your employees all day long. Even on off days. And they recently turned this SALARY position to hourly, so we all took a giant pay cut. Not worth the pay anymore at all. Basically was slaving away for $16/hour. This company used to be great when they were much smaller and they had things under control. After acquiring too many stores they lost all “culture” and we all just became a number.
Pros
Free use of personal phone at work.
Cons
No work life balance, low wages for amount of work expected, bad upper management, high turn over rate, high sales expectations, unhappy people
Very interesting place to work, always something different.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bealeton, VAAugust 20, 2018
I was a store manager so my experience is different than normal employees. As a sales rep, it's cut-throat meaning as in the salary/hourly is no where near enough for a minimum paycheck and the commission is difficult to reach unless you actually take advantage of the customers that walked in. For the store managers, it was more difficult because we had more tasks to do than anything which left no time for sales which meant little to nothing commission. Store managers were always on call and had to come in if something happened so no guaranteed days off. The company did not take what the employees said strongly as in some products are difficult to sell and had to work holidays but no paid extra for it.
Pros
Benefits, the people you meet, the interesting things you learn.
Cons
no work/life balance.

Want to know more about AT&T | Spring Mobile?

Ask a question
Exciting and interesting
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, ORAugust 15, 2018
The company does listen and tries to make changes to better their employees. However, there is a constant fear that you can be replaced at any time if you fail to meet an objective. Being in constant fear of your job and your security for your family is a hindrance to your performance.
Pros
Great hours most of the time
Cons
Overly pressured to do the wrong thing to keep your job.
Not the worst place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2018
I was a manager for years with them. For the most part, it's not bad, but only if you are able to stand your ground and not let them push you around. They tend to try to use the "culture" mentality to almost bully you into doing what they want. If you allow that to happen, then you will never have time to yourself and you will be taken advantage of. They pay extremely well for the job though, so it's worth dealing with some bad things. I would say that if you are not very well at operations, then you wont succeed as a manager at this company. Managers have a lot to do and you have to have great time management to be happy and comfortable at Spring. Honestly, the worst thing about Spring is that the HR department wields so much power that everyone is terrified to go against them. They nitpick about things, and if you get on the wrong side of an HR manager, they will make sure to make your life miserable. I will also say that they tend to put unreal expectations on their employees in terms of sales goals. I'm not talking about improving sales, I'm talking about them not living in reality and sometimes it blows my mind.
Pros
Pay, Travel, discounts
Cons
Tons of worthless meetings, Human Resources
Great mission but no follow through
Lead Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 12, 2018
The Company has a great mission to make all of our employees and customers happy, but the company grew and expanded way to fast. With that ive notice the culture change. going from 300 to 1600 stores over night was to much in my opinion to take on. The loss in one on one training with new hires to force feeding web modules to new reps.

Also the staffing does not make any sense. My location is budgeted for 1 full time ( me) and 2 part timers and im only allotted 85 hours to share with 46 hours being for my self mandatory. To have 2 part timers have under 20 hours each to reach goals is unfair to them and myself. Not enough opportunity or to sell due to lack of hours and coverage is minimal.
Pros
discounts on wireless service, benefits.
Cons
unable to staff correctly due to lack of hours, pay. I make $13 and hour where my reps make $11.50 with less responsibility.
A lot of personalities in one room.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Buchanan, GAAugust 7, 2018
The job itself was no-brainer stuff. They teach you and train you and teach you some more. So you have a good understanding of what's expected out of you. However, the management seemed to have a power complex. Sitting with a customer on the line while my manager chats up the females was annoying. Not just for me but for the customer waiting on them to finish playing around.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Managements professionalism
Team building, opportunity advancement
AT&T Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILAugust 5, 2018
My experience at AT&T was great. I would highly recommend working there to others. Great staff, great service, learning experience and opportunities as well.
fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 30, 2018
while working at Spring Mobile i realized i was a fantastic sales rep. I started at the bottom as a regular sales rep and worked my way up to management in four months. It was a great job!
Pros
pay structure
Cons
employee participation
Not worth your time if you can make sales
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 30, 2018
Their commission isn’t work anything compared to any other retailers, trust me. They make lackluster excuses of why they can’t help you and make sure to shove spring’s pledge like it’s equivalent to the national anthem.
Started out great...
Manager (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaJuly 26, 2018
The pay isn’t competitive for the job or the amount of work you do. They babysit you and constantly change the pay (way too low for managers) and add responsibilities weekly. The reps got a raise recently and they took money away from the managers to fund it. And once you get into management and get an ok pay rate, they can change it every 3 months. They don’t care about their people at all.
Pros
Bill discount
Cons
Pay, advancement opportunities
Worst
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalispell, MTJuly 26, 2018
Do not work here! I have had 6 jobs in my life and this by far is the worst company to work for. I would suggest to stray away from them. Oh and the pay is absolute garbage for the things you have to deal with. Work scrubbing tollets you'll be happier.
Pros
Discount on bill
Exciting
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Westwood, MAJuly 21, 2018
The culture of this company is very strong. The company cares about it's employees (but only in the high volume stores). Unfortunately, employees in slower stores are not treated the same.

Great opportunity for a career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AT&T | Spring Mobile. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight