AAA Employee Reviews for Travel Agent

Found 53 reviews matching the search See all 2,227 reviews
Geico is a terrific company to work for.
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 17, 2017
Geico is a terrific company to work for. If you are looking for career advancement and can handle a demanding and fast pace environment, you can't go wrong by working at Geico.
Travel Agent
Customer Care Professional / Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 4, 2017
They are great at making promises that are never fulfilled. Company will downsize to pay less to employees without experience and have you train your replacement.
Pros
Flexable with home work Balance
Cons
Doesn't fulfill promises
lots of overtime work, goals can be stressful
Travel Agent - American Automobile Association (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJune 21, 2017
working monday through friday and most saturdays answering phone, building travel qoutes, responding to clients request and needs, sales job. the hardest part about the job is dealing with management stressing goals and strict policies on travel vendors preferences. Most enjoyable part are the travel perks and every now and then booking something uncommon.
Pros
travel perks
Professional but enticing
Travel Agent & Insurance Agent Intern (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHMay 18, 2017
AAA is a professional business that carries out its day to day process with precision. During my time there, veterans were willing to train me properly and the group was very friendly. Customer service was also handled masterfully.
great place to work
AAA Travel Agent, Travel Department (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 8, 2017
Great place to work. Work/life balance is amazing. Great trainings! The manager and supervisor were great people and skilled leaders. I wish there were more places like that!
Good experience, but time to move on.
Travel Agent (Current Employee) –  IndianaOctober 28, 2016
Love my AAA family and my customers but it is time to move on. The pay you start at is the pay for the rest of the time you work there. The goals to get a payout on commission are unreachable. It may be easier if I was in a larger city but not in a smaller town.

Upper management if almost impossible to get a response from. Multiple times I have called and emailed, to be told they would get back to me...still waiting on an answer on what to do. My manager in the office was great, but she can only go so far to help me.

January-March are busy times for travel, you must be able to multitask! Follow up with customers is key to this business. If you have hospitality background the job will be easy to adjust too.

Prepare to go back to the 80's using the cashiering system, they actually switched to this system in May of 2015. Just a heads up.
Cons
Pay scale
Poor training, compensation, no appreciation
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  PAJuly 24, 2016
Learned early that management was poor. No real training despite pointing this out to manger and at performance review. Many long time employees that are primadonnas or who quit after 2016 merger with another AAA branch. No wage increase (cost of living) or other. Unreasonable bonus policy. Performance review system is awful, unrealistic and not well thought out. Despite job description, AAA only cares about the number of credit cad approvals you get and memberships sold, upgraded and put on auto pay with their (preferably AAA) credit cad. Don't get sick! If you aren't hospitalized you'd better make it to work. Long time staff do the work of manager day to day with no compensation and are unpleasant and disgruntled (which I understand. Who wants to do all the work with no pay?). The new merger in 2016 put systems back to the 80's. Much more paperwork, clunky, ineffective computer systems, more workload w/o compensation but yet the same demands to get work done in unrealistic timeframes.

I felt bad for AAA members. It's an aging population and management could care less. They want young new members but are being advised with out of touch consultants who do not understand the impact of social media or new technologies. I loved some coworkers, others we're back biting and pretentious to staff and members.

If you're young and want some experience, go and stay for a year then move on. AAA in its present form is a dying breed ran by those without a realistic vision for the future.
Pros
You set your day plans but need to anticipate road blocks, Get some experience to advance to a new career path.
Cons
Poor compensation, expensive health plan only available for F/T workers, Performance review system is biased and unfair. No real training, Management only cares about themselves.
Just go to get some experience
Travel Agent (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 12, 2016
I can't speak to other departments, but for working in an office, just get some experience and then get out. For travel, there's zero work/life balance and upper management clearly have no idea what they're doing. The whole department will go under in a few years based on current practices.
Great place to gain skills.
TRAVEL AGENT (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 3, 2016
I learned valuable skills required for an office setting. How to manage clients and accounts. Keeping proper documentation.
The other agents were always helpful and friendly.

The best part was helping clients find solutions that worked for them. The clients were grateful and made you feel valuable.

The unfriendliest parts were the demanding hours and strict vacation use limitations.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Restrictive hours and vacation availability.
Sales goal focused and less focused on personel
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Westlake, OHApril 9, 2016
New management company took over that raised Travel Agent sales goals. Afterwards meeting sales goals became difficult and they terminate people if they do not hit their monthly goal three months in a row.
Pros
supportive workers sundays off
Cons
sales driven short lunch management training
Its a job
Travel Agent (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXMarch 24, 2016
Very stressful, work a lot of weekends, not family oriented. I'm very tired, I miss my family and having a life outside of work. They micro manage you even if you are doing well.
Good company to work for
TRAVEL AGENT (Former Employee) –  Troy MichiganFebruary 29, 2016
Good company with a good benefits package. Fair compensation with many opportunities to travel. Unlimited earning potential but, no real opportunity for advancement.
Fun place to work
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 25, 2016
AAA-San Antonio was a good place to work. Excellent team of friendly and professional co-workers and staff. I thoroughly working as a part of this team.
Excellent Company
Leisure Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 15, 2015
Provided excellent customer service to its members and non-members in booking travel, fixing autos, providing insurance and all around customer service.
Pros
Customer Service
Cons
Great at first then down hill FAST! RUN AWAY!
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALNovember 7, 2015
Loved what I did and was great at it! I loved the other coworkers and we all got along great! Everything was going good until they tell you that you are ALMOST to the next teir of pay for commission. This is where my problem started happening. Your manager will step over you and steal your sales and take all the credit for things even when the manager didn't do it. The manager will bad mouth clients once they leave and expose confidential information. Lies to your face and trys to justify answers. Lately it got worse where manager would talk out loud behind your back and lie about it too. If manager thinks something is suspicious you will be blamed for it even if you didn't do anything. Goes behind you without asking you if you did it or not just assumes everything is your fault and you are lying. Yes I am mad! Want to let the next person know if you have a problem with manager best thing to do is quit because it won't stop. Manager gets everything they want and gets babied like no other. It's a loss battle since nothing will be done about it. Oh and also get ready to have to report EVERYTHING you say and do because they aren't just already watching you but they will blame you any chance they get to on the most stupidest thing! Whatever you do DONT take your cell phone to the bathroom because you will be blamed for texting other employees. Manager is VERY paranoid about everything. So if you want to work in a hostile place then this is the place for you. Enjoy!!
Pros
Learn a lot about traveling and the best ways to travel. Rewarded when meeting goals, possibility of free trips, meeting other people who come in and also meeting other employees from other offices.
Cons
Manager books the business and travel agents can't make commission, Management causes friction in the office, Vice President and HR DOES not back employee, Managers do not get written up for slandering employees.
Customer Service
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Nashua NHOctober 4, 2015
AAA continues to provide its members with outstanding customer service. One standard that has never changed. Good benefits.
Great company to work for!
Domestic Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 23, 2015
they have thee best training that is out there! coworkers were Great! Loved what I did they have great motivational tools!
Pros
training is thee best!
Cons
not as good as it used to be
Travel Agent (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 20, 2015
This used to be a great place to work. But now it has been bought out and now people thousands of miles away make all the decisions for the local offices. There is more red tape at this company now than there is in the military. Plus last year they stopped paying commission. I instantly lost at least $5000 a year.
Pros
little to no supervision
Cons
short lunch, low pay, no communication
Great Customers
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 12, 2015
I loved being able to help plan vacations for travelers. I hosted several groups and handled any problems along the way. Taught the auto counselors how to book cars, air tickets and hotels.
Pros
Customer appreciation
Cons
When I couldn't get what the customer needed
People person
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Scarsdale, NYMay 11, 2015
love being on the phone helping clients with their transportation needs. providing them with information about different places to visit.
Pros
working with 500 fortune company
Cons
you must meet your quota

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AAA. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight