AARP

United States1,279 reviews

Found 1,279 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,285 reviews
seniorprogramscsepparticipantemploymenthostfoundationvolunteer

Fun place to work

AARP provided me with Best training to prepare taxes. They allow to balance between life and work. All counselors work voluntarily and happily. I recommend others to join AARP.

Pros

Best and Free training

Cons

I wish they were open throughout the year

Depends on your manager

Was a contractor and it was pretty awful. Zero onboarding, zero support from management -- literally thrown in the mix with no documentation on my role or duties. Repeatedly told they didn't know what my job was exactly, but that they needed me to be the "new" name of the person I replace. Heard from multiple people, including the contracting company, that the organization treats their contractors "like hired help" and gives them all the work no one else likes to do. This was verbally confirmed by a co-worker when I was trying to figure out who to speak to in order to figure out how to complete a task. Other contractors had better experiences, but also had better managers.

Pros

Flexible work -- able to work from other locations as a remote contractor.

Cons

No management support, no guidance and no help.

AARP insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose

Great benefits and people, tough work life balance

I enjoyed working with volunteers who are the heart of the organization. National creates initiatives that trickle down to State offices without considering timelines. Constantly "on" sometimes working evenings and weekends to get work done.

okay

job was stressful. inbound call center taking calls back to back to back. rude customers on the phone most of the time. if the phone system was down, that was a good thing

Great experience

Amazing workplace culture. I learned a lot and was able to participate in various situations which created a lot of great experiences for an internship.

Fun place

It was ok. I think that there are better places to work & there are certainly worse places. Overall a decent place if you have the right manager. I did not .

An Opportunity of Older Adults to work a temporary job

AARP is really a training opportunity for seniors who are having difficulties finding work. Pay is low and job lasts maximum of 48 months. Jobs can be administrative, restuarant, or warehouse, but NO ladder climbing or lifting over 20 pounds.

Pros

Flexible training

Cons

Not pemanent, low pay.

Trainer

While being a trainer, I had the opportunity to travel to different site locations to run workshops and lectures on various subjects of technology. I also learned about different software programs while training others on how to use them.

Not a good place for temps

As a temp for almost 3 years, I was not paid fairly and no benefits. It’s a great place to work if you’re a permanent employee but not for temporary employees.

Pros

Schedule

Cons

Pay

Awesome Experience

Working at AARP was an awesome experience. They value innovation and the next big idea, which was nice, but at times it felt like a race to come up with the next hot project. For those a who fell short, it would unfortunately cost them their position.

How caring and understanding and patient management offered mess my well as ally co-worker were.

AA RP foundation is an excellent organization for not only seniors but also people that would like to get back into the job market that you might not have the best or up-to-date skills that they need they offer extensive training they have up-to-date software management is willing to work with everyone I enjoyed working with the public helping them find the new career in the workforce I enjoyed staying busy and learning new things unfortunately when cold get hit we had to work remote and then the building closed that's where I left AARP foundation.To be honest I don't have anything bad to say all positive.

I really like working here

I had input on which jobs I wanted to accept; the continued learning; the staff; the pay, and the pay raises, and the hours. I also like the location as it was not far from where I live. You have the option to go to school, and they will pay for it. They help you move forward and if anything happens to your car on the way to work, they pay for it. They also help you get a car.

Alot of work

Get fired easy management walk around all day and overload you with work especially if someone else is working slow. Mret new people everyday. Can never become permanent

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Too much work

Working together and discover and enhance clients skills was very rewarding

Working with people who genuinely need your expertise and appreciate your efforts. Recruiting businesses and expressing to them why they need and will cherish what we are offering.

Management is very supportive. Regardless of your geographical location you have support from across the county. The company offers comprehensive benefits that are pretty outstanding.

Pros

Vacation time, time to volunteer and time to care for sick loved ones.

Cons

The work/life balance is not good. The workload is not reasonable.

Collaborative environment that had a great balance between work and at home.

I loved working at AARP because it was collaborative working environment and people were great. I like the fact that tools and resources were readily available and there was an open-door policy at the executive level.

Good work culture

People are friendly but management can be demanding and lack transparency. Great benefits, PTO, volunteering opportunities. The work can be very demanding.

Good management.

I like working here. It's peaceful enviornment. I wish they hired me as a permanent full-time employee. I don't like being a temp, makes me worried about my future.

Great alternative of supplemental income for those with limited resources

I was a part of the SCSEP program so the compensation was very low. I was there before the pandemic, and now I understand some changes have taken place. Toward the end of my employment there, I left for better compensation my manager became very ill. Otherwise, it was a very rewarding place to work making a difference, helping others.

Pros

Paid holidays even part time

Cons

Minimum wage

Not a business… a well funded non-profit that doesn’t always make business decisions

For context this organization brings in $1.8B and has only 2500 employees. That’s a fortune 1000 level org in terms of revenue. Everything possible is done to not “mess it up”. Management is impotent, mostly because no single person has any ability to make a decision. As a result the majority of the management structure are the type of people willing to tolerate this. In the end, managers deal with entitled & overpaid employees who have no incentive to work, and are priced out of leaving. The place is not set up for working parents, rather people who are lagging their way into retirement. I hope to return for my last job before retirement.

If you are down and out they will help.

AARP was there for me to get me started again. The pay was the worst and the working conditions were fair. I was transferred to 2 locations after the initial job. I was allowed to study there while at work as well as look for work and interview openly on company time. I was exposed to negative work experiences, for example, I felt that my skills were being undermined. I felt like I was a joke to others employees. I am not saying this emotionally. It was true. But I am currently working in a job that is better suited to me now because of AARP. Try it out if you want to get on your feet again and you are 55 or older. I would do it again. Communication is unfriendly.

Pros

Study while working, look for work on company time and utilizing their computers as well as interviewing (paid)

Cons

Entry level and minimum wage only.

Common questions about AARP

Answered by current and former employees at AARP

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AARP. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
4.1Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight