AARP Employee Reviews

Environmental friendly place to work with staffing people cooperating with applicants.
Administrative Assistant, when in training. (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 13, 2019
All of above rate high. I began with AARP in July 2003 when I left and transferred from Urban League, Atlanta, GA. I went to work on Fairburn Rd, Atlanta, GA 30331, upon training period with Urban League of Atlanta back in November 1, 2001.
Pros
Office friendly environment.
Cons
Needed to work and fulfill duties yourself.
I am thankful for this job.
Employment Specialist @AARP FDN SCSEP (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 12, 2019
I am very thankful for this position. I especially liked my fellow ES's.
The location was good as well.I learned a lot of interesting things. It was really close to my house.
Pros
Good team
Cons
No insurance
Supportive, Creative programs for updating new practices in workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  777 Grant Street, Denver, COFebruary 7, 2019
AARP offers a diversified type of programs for Mid level + Seniors.

Government SSCEP grants provide training for Seniors to change their vocation,.Offers the opportunity to Retired volunteers to assist other for profit and non profit businesses and to become trained into
new employment fields through volunteerism.
Pros
Social, Computer Team player, and Mini job fairs are only a fe of the Training devices AARP provides
Cons
Pt
Moderate
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 7, 2019
Manager did not listen to employees ideas. Tasks not made clear. They had a good system in place to create new jobs, jobs not always available. On staff person not clear if manager was available and hours.
My review is as follows:
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 5, 2019
Comfortable place to work at, including very respectful co-workers. I enjoyed my time at AARP SESEP Foundation program and learned much from my Manager and some of my co-workers. I enjoyed my time at AARP SESEP Foundation!
Pros
An amazing Manager
Cons
limited job advancement
Environment was acceptable
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 31, 2019
Manager - area requiring improvement. Co-workers were cut-throat and non-cooperative.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the opportunity to travel and network with others.
Pros
Workplace culture
Cons
Management and co-workers
Excellent WorkLife Balance
Senior IT Consultant / Sr. Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2019
AARP provides opportunity to grow professionally as well as an excellent work life balance work remotely that is supported by a host of technology tools to include Skype for Business and various other conferencing tools.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Project timelines that are typically not achievable without substantial overtime.
A typical day of work
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 24, 2019
Relax attendance a job fairs or make phone calls contact to the employers to placed a job placements, follow ups job retention and updated and placed the job bank to get new job order's in the personal computer systems.
Pros
sometimes free lunches
Cons
two breaks of 30 minutes each one per day
SCSEP program
File/Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 24, 2019
Excellent program for senior's 50+ trying to get back into the work force. opportunity to build confidence and skills while earning a salary. A typical day at work always opened up new life experiences.
Pros
free trainning day lunches
Cons
Upward mobility within the company through the program not available, A 48 month tenture limitation.
They treat Contractors Bad
Strategic Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 24, 2019
Contractors are consistently treated like step children in the organization in every way possible. however the work life balance is great. This organization has a lot of diversity. That is well received.

Want to know more about AARP?

Ask a question
Great Company!
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJanuary 13, 2019
awesome fixed schedule, great management team, great overall experience, work from home, pto, vto,etc................................................
Pros
flexible schdule
Cons
low pay
it was fine
Digital Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2019
Day to day activities were standard PM activities: scheduling, coordinating and helping resolve any road blocks. Weekly reporting on status and project activities.
Productive and Interesting Organization
Tax-Aide Team Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 2, 2019
Hardworking workplace culture. Had an opportunity to learn new skills required by my position. The hardest part of the job was being compelled to turn over projects that I had worked on to more senior staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new skills and becoming engaged in a few projects from beginning to end.
Pros
Flexible schedule.
Cons
Reluctance of management to assign work to new staff.
Good program
Senior Community Services (Former Employee) –  Pahrump, NVDecember 26, 2018
Senior work.
I enjoyed my work at a Animal Shelter.

Only draw back was the internal fiasco at the location I worked. They were going through some changes, which created friction amoung the workers and the public.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
not enough hours
Aarp foundation scsep
Employment Specialist/Job Develooer (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 20, 2018
My experience is with AARP Foundation SCSEP. I have learned many things while in this training program. I believe the experience will help me in the future with getting employment. I appreciate the experience I have had with the SCSEP program.
The work is light, and I can do it and job search.
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 10, 2018
A typical day at work is casual, I'm either hanging blinds, or doing light house keeping. I've learned to adjust my schedule to maximize my experience using the limited time that I'm paid for. Management is fun to work with, and the assignments are light, and I can talk to them about problems, and report finished work without a whole lot of complications. The workplace culture is patient, relaxed, and full of peacefule people who enjoy communicating. The hardest part of the job is getting done with assignments in the limited time that AARP will pay me for, and the most enjoyable part of the job is the people who like to be a team.
Pros
Food Bank privileges.
Cons
Hours are too short.
AARP is focused on providing the best programs for its members and work/life balance for its employees.
Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 6, 2018
AARP is focused on serving its members. As such, AARP newsletters and programs are designed to fill the informational needs of members. AARP programs provide valuable discounts and members are happy with AARP benefits and programs and their return on their membership investment.
Pros
Flexible schedules.
Federally Subsidized Employment Training Program
Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 5, 2018
AARP Foundation is the administer of the SCSEP for the US Department of Labor. SCSEP is the federally subsidized employment training program in which I am currently enrolled in.
learning experience
Recreational Aide (Current Employee) –  Sanford, FLDecember 4, 2018
this a program designed to help senior citizens return 40 hr a week work force, while working for non profit agencies with some training, along with those in need
Pros
community service
Cons
minimum wage
a learning experience
Recreational Aide (Current Employee) –  Sanford, FLDecember 3, 2018
this position is designed as a training program for 55+ seniors to return to the 40 hr wk work force, its called the senior community service employment program, in which I would recommend to anyone 55 or older also assignments are with non profit organizations
Pros
host agencies are residence
Cons
minimum wage and only 18 hr wk weeks