AASHTO re:source Employee Reviews

Love it here
AASHTO Accreditation Program (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MarylandJune 7, 2019
This has been the best company and environment I have ever worked at. Customer service responsibilities can be stressful at times, but our managers and coworkers always have our back. the knowledge in this community is astounding! There is always someone available to help answer a question or help you find the answer.
Everyone in the company started in the same position, so it really helps everyone relate to each other. Upward movement is available, but mostly for management related positions.
Laboratory Assessor Position Review
Laboratory Assessor (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MarylandJune 4, 2019
I have been a Laboratory Assessor for over 2 years now and genuinely enjoyed my experience at AASHTO re:source. In short, the job entails traveling around the country to Construction Materials Testing labs and evaluating their conformance to nationally recognized test and quality standards. AASHTO re:source provides comprehensive training after you're hired, so you don't have to come in with experience in the construction materials testing industry. You do need to have strong critical thinking and interpersonal skills, and the ability to multi-task to be successful as a Laboratory Assessor. The company culture is relaxed and management will work with you to see that you are successful and grow in the job. The biggest component of the Laboratory Assessor position to be aware of when applying is that it does require around 100 days of overnight travel a year, in 2 or 3 week blocks. While this is a great way to see the country (on the company's dime), it may not be the ideal situation if you have, or are looking to start, a family. For anyone who likes to be on the road though, this is an interesting and challenging (in a good way) job with a good company!
Dynamic workplace that really cares
Laboratory Assessor (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MarylandMay 30, 2019
The first thing I noticed when I started here at AASHTO was the company culture: care is taken to make sure employees are not only treated fairly but also happy and content. Working here really feels like you're a vital part of something bigger than yourself. When we are out in the field assessing labs, it isn't like any other kind of audit where we have something to take or impose on them, rather, we are there as a process in continuous improvement. While the traveling schedule may seem daunting at first, once you get the hang of it it becomes a lot of fun to see the different parts of the country.
Laboratory Assessor
Laboratory Assessment Program (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MarylandMay 30, 2019
AASHTO re:source is a great place to work. The pay is competitive, the benefits are fantastic, and the travel opportunities are amazing! Additionally, there are opportunities for advancement within the company, and management is extremely supportive of professional development. Coworkers are passionate, smart, supportive, friendly, and sometimes even funny! When I started here I was slightly concerned that the traveling would wear me out. However, it has been my experience that supervisors are very understanding and actively promote a healthy work/home balance.
AASHTO resource is a great place to work!
Senior Laboratory Assessor (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MarylandMay 29, 2019
AASHTO resource is a great place to work! The people are great, and the travel is fun. Everyone here works hard and there is a good amount of collaboration when working on projects. Management is engaged and works hard to keep a healthy work life balance. Pay is pretty good, but the benefits are outstanding. This is a job I look forward to coming to every morning!
Small Organization with Great People
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MarylandMay 28, 2019
It is a small company, so there is not that much room for advancement, although we do promote from within. Assessors travel a good bit of the time, so their typical work day is spent in the field. Other staff spend most of their time working on day-to-day tasks at their desk or attending meetings. The culture here is really great- the people are definitely one of the best parts of the job. The open environment is great, although there are times when I wish we had more privacy. Overall, management listens and cares about what employees think. I have developed a lot of skills over the years by working here, and I don't plan on leaving any time soon.
Best Place to Work Ever!
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MarylandMay 28, 2019
AASHTO re:source is like no other company I have ever worked for. The managers are awesome and I do not have coworkers I have friends. Everyone is very supporting in helping you to achieve your day to day tasks and your goals.
AASHTO re:source is a great place to work.
Administration (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MarylandMay 28, 2019
The people at re:source are the best! Half of the staff are on the road most of the time, but there is still a good organizational culture and a friendly atmosphere. There are opportunities for most positions to work from home at least a couples days a week. Plus, people seem to bring in food for the office at least a couple times a month (and who doesn't like free food!).

Across the board, managers treat staff as actual human beings, and not just a nameless employee. They are understanding when life happens and care about you a person.
Love travel
Senior Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MarylandMay 28, 2019
Those who do well as assessors are people who love to travel. Being away from home for 50% of the year is not for everyone. But for those who enjoy it, it's a great job. There is always something new to learn.
See the country, make a difference in the world (of construction materials testing)!
Administration (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MarylandMay 27, 2019
Working for AASHTO re:sources gives you the chance to see the country, and make a difference in the construction materials testing industry.

The company has a good mix of both young and experienced minds, all focused on helping improve the construction materials testing laboratories across the United States, through assessment and accreditation.
Review
Laboratory Assessor (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MarylandMay 27, 2019
The benefits that come with this job are awesome. Excluding the main benefits (health, dental, etc.), the extra perks such as working from home once a week, compensatory days, paying for external development courses, and many more are what really set this job apart from others.
Laboratory Assessor
Laboratory Assessment Program (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MarylandMay 27, 2019
If you love travelling, interacting with a variety of people, and can think well on your feet than this is the job for you! When working as an assessor you will get to explore all throughout the United States as a part of the AASHTO re:source family. Even though we are on the road alone for the most part we work as a team and it really does feel like my coworkers are like a second family. The hardest part of this job is also the best part, travelling. The travel schedule is intense to say the least. I tend to be in a different place half of every month, so it can be hard to put down roots where I currently live. However, this amount of travelling has helped me stay in contact with friends and family from all over the country while becoming immersed in the different cultures in our country.
Great Job that Offers Travel Opportunities
Manager (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDMay 23, 2019
Most people start as Laboratory Assessors, where they audit laboratories that test construction materials. About half the time is spent in the field, and half the time back in the office. There are lots of professional development opportunities, and the training provided is very thorough. Management truly cares about the people they work with, and the work environment and the people who work here really make the job. The hardest part of the job can be traveling, but that can also be the best part of the job as well.
Pros
Great 403(b) Match, Good benefits, Ability to Travel, Work from Home
Cons
More IT support is needed, HR staff all work at different location
Excellent office environment with oppertunity to travel the US
Laboratory Assessor (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDMay 22, 2019
Very relaxed but professional office environment with the opportunity to work collaboratively with coworkers about your experiences while out on business travel. Everyone is very friendly and provides excellent feedback on your work and fosters an environment of continual improvement.

A typical work day in the office could include working on turning in an assessment report, working on peer reviewing a colleague's report, or working on committee projects with other Laboratory Assessors to help improves processes.

A typical work day while traveling includes performing a lab assessment at a client's laboratory, driving or flying to your next assessment location, or if it's weekend, exploring the new city or area you are in.

The hardest aspect of the job is traveling up to 50 % of the time; however, if you are like most of us this is also the most enjoyable part of the job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AASHTO re:source. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6