Abacus Data Systems Employee Reviews

Run away as fast as you can
NA (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJanuary 11, 2018
Absolute worst place to work, it is cut-throat and the environment is extremely negative. Management is disorganized and do not communicate well with one another. CEO is demanding and tends to yell to get the point across. One week you could be working with a few people, the next you have a whole new team, turnover is insane. Very sad place to work.
Pros
Free lunches and unlimited PTO
Cons
Getting screamed at, work life balance, negative atmosphere
February 13, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We try to cultivate a positive and fulfilling work environment for all our employees, and we’re sorry to see you didn’t feel that during your time with AbacusNext. In terms of hiring so many positions, we’ve grown by 800% in the last three years, and any way you slice it, that’s a lot of hiring. We’ll only reach the goals we’re driving toward if we have the help of the best, most motivated people we can find who thrive in a fast-paced technology organization. If you would like to share more, please contact me by emailing glassdoor@abacusnext.com. We wish you best of luck in your future endeavors.

Candid Culture
Implementation Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 1, 2017
The CEO believes in candidacy and that allows for employees to tackle issues with a clear and direct approach. Each day I would on bored a new client with unique needs and set them on on a customized work environment. The hardest part of the job is engaging with the management team they are hands off and do not do a good job of team collaboration or, appreciate proactive measures of engagement on everyday tasks. It is enjoyable to meet your client expectations and remove the burden from the of maintaining a systems network.
Pros
Working Remotely form home
Cons
No HR department CEO can not handle the human dynamics of her office.
Legal Software
Senior Account Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 4, 2016
Job mostly consisted of calling leads that you found and old customers who were one-time fee plan. You were responsible for transitioning customers over to a subscription plan.
Awesome!!!
Professional Services Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 16, 2016
Great place to work. The best people! This is a top company and anyone should be happy working here.

Managers are helpful and respectful. The CEO is the best!
Every day is an opportunity
Business Development Manager/Sales (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 27, 2016
Abacus rewards hard work. One thing that really strikes about this place is there is no ego on the sales floor, which is a testament of their hiring process. Also, we have a clear vision and mission with all the pieces in place to get to our goal (smart management, great culture, and products and services with a clear competitive advantage, specifically the Abacus Private Cloud).

Also, management is always looking to improve and, although, they set up our comp plan to align with company goals, the new comp plan is extremely generous to those who work hard.

Lastly, the most enjoyable part of the job every day is the excitement I feel about my sales funnel. Will this $3500 account close today? How will my demonstration go with the 30 user firm today? These questions get me out of bed in the morning. Plus it truly feels like you're a part of a family here.
Best Job I've Had
Senior Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 27, 2016
This is a great opportunity... It is up to you to make the most of it though.

If you work hard you will be very handsomely rewarded.
Pros
Free Lunches, Game Room, Lots of Money
Best place to work, if you are willing to work.
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 22, 2016
I have been working at Abacus Data Systems full-time

Tons of Pros come to mind, but just to list a few:

1. Steady Hours

2. Good starting pay

3. Amazing potential for additional pay (Commissions, Bonuses, Promotions, etc.)

4. Flexible Lunches and Breaks - On that note, Rec/Game Room to unwind in when needed

5. Great people in every department.

6. Amazing Corporate Values and Corporate Culture.

7. Very diverse staff, we have people from all around the world that have made Abacus their home.

Another personal note, they tend to look for individuals that have great soft skills and only a passion for what they do, obviously any additional education or experience helps, but they won't disqualify you for not having those. There have been a lot of great people that have succeeded in the company that come from all different types of professional and educational backgrounds. I can honestly say that this is the most rewarding job, both emotionally and financially I have ever had.

Unlike most other companies I have worked for in the past, Abacus provides promotions and raises based solely on performance. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many people at the company, myself included, have had more than a few opportunities to move forward in our careers because we work hard and enjoy what we do. With that said, if you are not willing to put in the work you won't last very long or will not see much advancement. Your advancement in the Company is completely dependent on YOU. Some may think that is a con, but if you are willing to put in the sweat, this is
  more... a huge PRO.  less
Pros
Breakfast every Wednesday, Game Room, Birthday celebrations
Abacus Data Systems is San Diego's oldest 'startup'
Support Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 21, 2016
I've been with Abacus for almost a year now, which doesn't sound that long, but in Abacus time, it's like a century! In the time that I've been with the company, they've grown 3x in employees, moved into huge offices, acquired our biggest competitor, and I've gotten two promotions. The pro AND con of this company is that it moves extremely fast, too fast for some people, and new projects and giant growth challenges spring up literally overnight. Management is young - everyone is on the younger side here - and it shows here and there, but, you really feel like you're involved and can make an impact when you put yourself and your ideas/thoughts out there. Company makeup is the most diverse I've seen at a tech company in my life, something you don't really think about until you see it (female Hispanic CEO, African American CFO and CTO, only the CSMO is white). It's a fun and thriving culture, the people that love it LOVE it, but I've seen a lot of turnover with people that just can't stand the company's style. I'd recommend to friends that I thought would make a good fit.
Pros
Growing company, good pay, work hard / play hard atmosphere, room for advancement, located in UTC area
Cons
Health care plan is okay, vacation plan sucks, no 401k/stock (yet)
I was a contract paralegal and only worked there for 5 months.
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  University Town Center, San DiegoAugust 26, 2016
I was a contract paralegal ad only worked at Abacus Data Systems for five months. There is a good work/life balance there They provide breakfast on Wednesdays and they have a sales meeting / pep-rally on Wednesdays. However, they foster an environment of cut-throat competition. The CEO is notorious for scolding and humiliating people out in front of everyone. Everything is fine, as long as you don't make a mistake or fall below your quotas.
Pros
Cons
The CEO is notorious for scolding and humiliating people out in front of everyone! Terrible
September 23, 2016

Abacus fosters and team environment it is a melting pot of cultures, diversity and amazingly talented people from all walks of life. One of my favorite all hands meetings is when our CEO said "it is not about what is on that resume, or how many degrees one has, but how hard they work and the passion they have to be great at what they do." At Abacus you are given the opportunity.

Worst Interview Imaginable
IT Consultant/Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 22, 2016
Management doesn't seem to understand the role of a "Pre-Sales Engineer". Unprofessional is at best a nice description. What an utter and complete waste of time talking to some of the rudest individuals that I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Industry professional beware.
Pros
I'm glad the interview ended early.
Cons
A "Con" would be actually working for this company.
It was a happy, happy day when I got out of that place
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 17, 2016
One of the worst jobs I've ever had. Management "counsels" you on your sales performance by embarrassing you in front of the entire company during their dreadful weekly meetings.

The leads you receive are the same worn out leads that have been called 8,000 times. Don't bother going to HR about the horrible conditions because your confidential complaints will not be kept confidential.

The CEO is the crudest, foul-mouthed, unprofessional "leader" I've ever come across. You are STRONGLY "encouraged" to post positive reviews about the company on you social media sites...and they WILL check to see if you have.
Pros
Free lunch once a week. That's mainly to keep you working through lunch.
Cons
No 401, STINGY time-off policy, benefits plan that was so expensive I stayed on my wife's plan
September 23, 2016

Our CEO is extremely passionate, caring and is consistently leading Abacus into new and exciting directions. As a general rule our management team is transparent and you will always know exactly where you stand and how to get to the next step in your career at Abacus.

Sales is not for everyone - that age old saying "Natural Born Salesman"

Remember one thing, it's mandatory to promote the business.
Sr business development manager (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJune 9, 2016
It's a must and even emailed daily to like all post, promote abacus on all of your social media accounts. If we do not see that you have done this we will take disciplinary action up to and including termination.

The CEO is obnoxious, rude and lacks of integrity.

Be careful
Avoid this place like the plague !
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego/La Jolla CAFebruary 19, 2016
The MOST disorganized company I have ever had the displeasure to work for.
They state in their handbook "If you are not at your desk 15 min. PRIOR to your start time you are considered LATE".
Huh ????
Is that even legal ???
NO direction , NO training, you are 100% completely on your own the minute you start working there.
Unfriendly co-workers, weekly rah-rah meetings that take you away from your already incredibly huge work load,
Just avoid --- there are WAAAAY better places than this to work.
Pros
Casual dress is ok.
Cons
Everything - no 401k, no info on medical plans, no training, no coffee in the office, no breaks, short lunches, free OT expected... the list of Cons is endless.
September 23, 2016

Abacus is a team environment. We all count on each other to get the job done. The all hands meetings keep us all on the same page with one common goal and direction.

Abacus Data Systems is fairly unique in the fact that we have in house Developers, Engineers, Marketing team, Professional Services, Client Services, Abacus Private Cloud and Accounting all under one roof. We don't have to outsource and can not only take care of each others needs but our clients needs at a moments notice. This takes extreme organization and leadership to pull off. It's working - we are growing.

High-energy team and client success oriented workplace!
Client Services Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 17, 2015
Very relaxed and fun office culture but still very focused on the success of our legal office partners. Great management team from the CEO down. Benefits packages could be better but that should come with company expansion. Low turnaround in spite of rapid growth.
Pros
Positive energy from all employees, hour lunches, great location, department rewards for meeting quarterly goals, employer health insurance contribution
Cons
No 401k matching/contribution, trial-by-fire training
Mediocre and Stagnant
Provisioning Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 17, 2015
A typical day is you arrive 30 mins early so that no one questions your timesheet. The management will nickel and dime it's own employees to where you arrive an hour early and leave an hour late and it's all a part of "paying your dues". You don't get paid for that extra time, and you catch a lot of flack if you were five minutes late, once. The people there are great, and you can tell everyone wants to succeed and do well in their careers. Unfortunately, there is no room for growth, good ideas are met with a wall of "no", and the explanations are "because I said so."

Secondly, you have no faith in management, because they make promises they intentionally don't keep, and if whatever you agreed upon at the time of hiring, if not put in writing, is purposefully used against you to say that you're full of it.

If I were looking for work, and this was the only place on Earth hiring, I would sooner commit a crime to be taken care of in prison, than work there again.
Pros
Cons
Numerous.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Abacus Data Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9