Abacusnext Employee Reviews

A. Joke.
Sr. Sales executive (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2019
This company is a 35 year start?? When has ANYONE heard of a, successful, 35 year start up?? They are the man-child of the tech industry. They LOOK like they should have it together but have zero direction. They changed management, direction of company and assembled new dept. from the others they dismantled with employees that have no idea why they were placed in that dept. They fired the trainer DURING THE TRAINING and told us to get on the phones and good luck. They have NO training material for any position, I kid you not, just ask to see the "training material". It's a circus, controlled chaos, best part of the job, free lunches and kegs of beer they bring in that's it, period. I was there for 6 months and they refused to give a scheduled day off even though they tout around "unlimited time off". Apply at your own risk.
Pros
Free food.
Cons
A lot.
Best kept secret in San DIego
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 14, 2019
Friendly colleagues and supportive managers. Get to support extensively on cloud technology implementations (everything is cloud now). Free lunch on Wednesday. bus commute to/from UTC offered to employees which is nice. Flexibility Supportive Professional... it pains me to see people leave and regret it, Whatever are your career aspirations, one can find a way in Abacus. Especially here in San DIego where the technology pool is limited... I'm glad I found this place.
Pros
Great team and all working towards the same goal. Good work life balance
Cons
It is now a larger company and non-doers just go get away with pushing papers.
Great people, awesome culture, good sales job
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 14, 2019
I have learned more about current cloud technology and software management platforms at AbacusNext than I had learned at my previous jobs (Cox, Time Warner) and it really helped advance my career. Unfortunately I had to relocate due to family, but it was good while it lasted. Fun office culture, pretty high paced. Equal opportunity employer, very multi-cultured office.
Pros
Commission checks!
Cons
If you're not a technology lover, you will struggle to learn up
Poor Company Structure
Client Success Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 6, 2019
Departments don't coordinate and processes aren't in place to fix ongoing issues. Management doesn't have insight to fix the gaps between sales, quoting, client retention and product implementation.
Pros
free lunch on Wednesdays
Stay away from this place.
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 2, 2018
I was reading all these reviews but notice no one is commenting about their experience with Toronto office. Office was great but the worst dept was support specially support manager who have ZERO technical skills the dude does not even know the version of the supported product, does not even know how to reset his own password, takes the whole support team in the development meetings does not even know what to say sits and listen like a foreign language movie is playing and hide behind everyone. The funny part is dude writes all his emails in the subject line scared to death even when a sales rep calls from head office start shouting at his ppl come here talk to this guy because to him the discussion happens in a foreign language study like a final exam before Friday meetings with the management. Dude is so scared from his boss that willing to perform sanitary duties if called for. Have no management does out of box favors to his favorites u r bringing coffee for me every day u r allowed to take 10 smoke breaks, u r taking my escalation call u can take half day off and show up anytime, u saved me on the weekend u are my TL regardless of the fact that you don’t even know how to write an email or talk in English, u r playing video games with me u can decide your own schedule the best technical skills the dude knows how to play video games all day at work. Even the Toronto head who is technically sound knows he is technically ZERO but does not do anything was almost got fired by the old employer but got saved by the previous manager. Getting paid for doing a job which my 90 year  more... old grandmother can do. Even his current boss does even know how to handle support was promoted from custom service to Director of support because everyone in his office quit haha.  less
Pros
Free Lunches Every Wednesday
Cons
Will never go back to work here..
Short Term Employement
Accounting (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 20, 2018
Abacus Data Systems acquired Commercial Logic's asset. I worked for Abacus during the transition. They allowed me to work remotely and gave me an opportunity to education myself with Sales and Uses requirements and research SALT software.
All slogans, little action
Project Manager - Professional Services (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 15, 2018
CEO constantly talks about the benefits of being an employee of AbacusNext. The company kept expanding and acquiring other companies, and regular employees saw little in it for them as far as benefits. Healthcare was extremely expensive, especially for employees with families. Other than salespeople, no one had any idea how the commission structure worked. There was no advancement. No opportunity to work remotely in my department, other than by special permission occasionally. Communication was lacking, to say the least. I was not happy at my job.
Pros
Free lunch once a week. Nice new building with a gym.
Cons
Lack of communication internally within department, no opportunities to advance career, remote work not allowed; no bonsu/commission structure.
Growing company with Perks
Sr. Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 11, 2018
Heavy cold calling, learned about legal software, minimal management, inside sales culture, fun break room with ping pong, lacking enough management to support the number of sales reps.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
mgmt communication
Incompetent Management Team
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 2, 2018
Great potential as company is financially backed by billion dollar investment firm, but management must be changed. High turnover in sales and marketing. Four new Inside Sales Managers in a year speaks for itself.

CEO must be removed from position along with her puppet incompetent management team.
Pros
Free breakfast once a week
Cons
Incompetent Management Team
Run away as fast as you can
NA (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJanuary 11, 2018
Absolute worst place to work, it is cut-throat and the environment is extremely negative. Management is disorganized and do not communicate well with one another. CEO is demanding and tends to yell to get the point across. One week you could be working with a few people, the next you have a whole new team, turnover is insane. Very sad place to work.
Pros
Free lunches and unlimited PTO
Cons
Getting screamed at, work life balance, negative atmosphere

Comment – February 13, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We try to cultivate a positive and fulfilling work environment for all our employees, and we’re sorry to see you didn’t feel that during your time with AbacusNext. In terms of hiring so many positions, we’ve grown by 800% in the last three years, and any way you slice it, that’s a lot of hiring. We’ll only reach the goals we’re driving toward if we have the help of the best, most motivated people we can find who thrive in a fast-paced technology organization. If you would like to share more, please contact me by emailing glassdoor@abacusnext.com. We wish you best of luck in your future endeavors.

Not for me
sales (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 4, 2018
this company has a ton of potential but is not for the feint of heart. There are some great people working there, but all in all, the experience was not for me. There were many unethical business practices, and it was obvious that the company was over extending itself.
Pros
Free lunches on wednesday's, good products, fair pay
Cons
Churn and burn mentality that has many good people leaving.
Great work atmosphere with coworkers
Client Services Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 20, 2017
Great place to work with coworkers troubleshooting Abacus software/Server issues. A typical day would be troubleshooting clients Abacus software by either editing registry or re-registering .dll.
Pros
Coworkers and free breakfast every wednesday
Awesome software, great team, poor management
Professional Services Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lindon, UTOctober 23, 2017
Enjoy my work and the people I work with. The company is run by a UK outfit, and the differences in work cultures between the US and UK can be an issue. Also, constant turnover of talent because of lack of competitive pay for key positions.
Pros
Great team, balanced workload, benefits, 401(k)
Cons
Senior management, low pay
Candid Culture
Implementation Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 1, 2017
The CEO believes in candidacy and that allows for employees to tackle issues with a clear and direct approach. Each day I would on bored a new client with unique needs and set them on on a customized work environment. The hardest part of the job is engaging with the management team they are hands off and do not do a good job of team collaboration or, appreciate proactive measures of engagement on everyday tasks. It is enjoyable to meet your client expectations and remove the burden from the of maintaining a systems network.
Pros
Working Remotely form home
Cons
No HR department CEO can not handle the human dynamics of her office.
Legal Software
Senior Account Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 4, 2016
Job mostly consisted of calling leads that you found and old customers who were one-time fee plan. You were responsible for transitioning customers over to a subscription plan.
Awesome!!!
Professional Services Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 16, 2016
Great place to work. The best people! This is a top company and anyone should be happy working here.

Managers are helpful and respectful. The CEO is the best!
Every day is an opportunity
Business Development Manager/Sales (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 27, 2016
Abacus rewards hard work. One thing that really strikes about this place is there is no ego on the sales floor, which is a testament of their hiring process. Also, we have a clear vision and mission with all the pieces in place to get to our goal (smart management, great culture, and products and services with a clear competitive advantage, specifically the Abacus Private Cloud).

Also, management is always looking to improve and, although, they set up our comp plan to align with company goals, the new comp plan is extremely generous to those who work hard.

Lastly, the most enjoyable part of the job every day is the excitement I feel about my sales funnel. Will this $3500 account close today? How will my demonstration go with the 30 user firm today? These questions get me out of bed in the morning. Plus it truly feels like you're a part of a family here.
Best Job I've Had
Senior Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 27, 2016
This is a great opportunity... It is up to you to make the most of it though.

If you work hard you will be very handsomely rewarded.
Pros
Free Lunches, Game Room, Lots of Money
Best place to work, if you are willing to work.
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 22, 2016
I have been working at Abacus Data Systems full-time

Tons of Pros come to mind, but just to list a few:

1. Steady Hours

2. Good starting pay

3. Amazing potential for additional pay (Commissions, Bonuses, Promotions, etc.)

4. Flexible Lunches and Breaks - On that note, Rec/Game Room to unwind in when needed

5. Great people in every department.

6. Amazing Corporate Values and Corporate Culture.

7. Very diverse staff, we have people from all around the world that have made Abacus their home.

Another personal note, they tend to look for individuals that have great soft skills and only a passion for what they do, obviously any additional education or experience helps, but they won't disqualify you for not having those. There have been a lot of great people that have succeeded in the company that come from all different types of professional and educational backgrounds. I can honestly say that this is the most rewarding job, both emotionally and financially I have ever had.

Unlike most other companies I have worked for in the past, Abacus provides promotions and raises based solely on performance. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many people at the company, myself included, have had more than a few opportunities to move forward in our careers because we work hard and enjoy what we do. With that said, if you are not willing to put in the work you won't last very long or will not see much advancement. Your advancement in the Company is completely dependent on YOU. Some may think that is a con, but if you are willing to put in the sweat, this is
  more... a huge PRO.  less
Pros
Breakfast every Wednesday, Game Room, Birthday celebrations
Abacus Data Systems is San Diego's oldest 'startup'
Support Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 21, 2016
I've been with Abacus for almost a year now, which doesn't sound that long, but in Abacus time, it's like a century! In the time that I've been with the company, they've grown 3x in employees, moved into huge offices, acquired our biggest competitor, and I've gotten two promotions. The pro AND con of this company is that it moves extremely fast, too fast for some people, and new projects and giant growth challenges spring up literally overnight. Management is young - everyone is on the younger side here - and it shows here and there, but, you really feel like you're involved and can make an impact when you put yourself and your ideas/thoughts out there. Company makeup is the most diverse I've seen at a tech company in my life, something you don't really think about until you see it (female Hispanic CEO, African American CFO and CTO, only the CSMO is white). It's a fun and thriving culture, the people that love it LOVE it, but I've seen a lot of turnover with people that just can't stand the company's style. I'd recommend to friends that I thought would make a good fit.
Pros
Growing company, good pay, work hard / play hard atmosphere, room for advancement, located in UTC area
Cons
Health care plan is okay, vacation plan sucks, no 401k/stock (yet)