Abbott House Employee Reviews

Great Place to start fresh out of college
Sociotherapist (Former Employee) –  New WindsorAugust 22, 2018
The supervisors are wonderful. The pay and salary needs improvement I don’t believe it is at the cost of living wages. I also believe there should be one set salary, and not an array of individuals doing the same job but getting paid differently.
Pros
The children
Cons
Lack of financial support, improvement with staff knowing one another, salary/hourly increase
Contracted Staff
Contracted Employee (Current Employee) –  Various SitesJune 24, 2018
I visited many different sites for many different reasons as a contact staff. The culture of the organization surrounds the needs of those serviced. Administration is pretty clear with their expectations of maintaining the current organizational culture. The direct support staff simply need to "stay in their lane" and understand that they do not always need to be aware of what administration is doing and frankly, do what is expected of them for the individuals. All changes happen for a reason, and this is an agency where a "go with the flow" attitude is necessary to be successful in any position.
Pros
The individuals and salaries are great for the area
Cons
Staff need to mind their business, focus on why we are all here, and stop being juvenile.
Very toixic
Clinician (Former Employee) –  irvintonMay 24, 2018
The agency need more structure and better management. They are not supportive and you find yourself trying to figure things out by yourself and at the last minute. CEO are not aware that employees are being taken advantage and not being guided,
Pros
arean and parking
Cons
poor supervisor
productive
Foster Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 21, 2018
work is challenging. good company. Great learning experience for New Social Workers. People are nice and the families you work with leave a ever lasting imprint on your heart
Poor work environment. Positive relationships with co workers is not encouraged. Lack of training and support and penalized when mistakes occur
WSP (Former Employee) –  Westchester County, NYMay 1, 2018
Positive relationships especially between line staff and managers strongly discouraged. Negative atmosphere with massive turnover of staff. Challenging not fully knowing expectations and not receiving proper training and supervision
Productive and fun place to work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Spring Valley, NYApril 30, 2018
I learn at lot with People with developmental disabilities at Abbott House. I was Med certified and Learn a Lot of medical terms. It was really fun to go on outings with individuals. I learned how to be more patient and understandable with others.
not bad
Socio-Therapist/Therapeutic Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2018
Abbott house is a great agency for providing stakeholders with an array of services and programs but the staff aren't valued. pay needs to greatly improve, starting with overtime as opposed to comp time---coming into late work or leaving early if more than 40 hours worked per week
Productive and Fun
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Irvington, NYApril 11, 2018
Great Company to work for. This company is a great start for anyone who is willing to continue their education. Abbott House is flexible and understanding when it come to going to school. I love my time here, but being that my education background has advance it is time for me to look for other opportunities in my field.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Management are not always professional
Abbott House
Therapeutic Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYApril 4, 2018
Typical day was unsteady and stressful

The hardest part was keeping up with notes while driving from Westchester and Dutchess county, and starting on a note where previous worker was behind, so I started behind on notes.

The most enjoyable part was working with others

Typical day included home visits, office visits, taking children to Dr. and court appointments.
Pros
Enjoyed working as a team member
Cons
The work load was impossible to keep and maintain up to date
Learning experience
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Irvington, NYMarch 21, 2018
Comfortable environment
Able to transfer within company
Co-workers are nice and supervisors were courteous and helpful
I am able to work independently
Many changes have occurred but I have adapted well
Pros
nice view
Cons
each individual experience is different
A waste of time
Bilingual youth coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irvington NYMarch 20, 2018
I had applied to the Abbott House a few months back . They called me in for a interview and after 2 hours and my credentials being confirmed I was offered the position . I was asked which schedule
I would want and was asked to complete the following required health , drug and identity process . I did everything in a timely matter and was promised to be reimbursed on the costs of the test if I was charged . I completed everything within the week and called to confirm . They stated that they changed there mind giving me no reason and took them 1 month to reimburse me . They only gave me back $87.00 out of the $350 in health exams and tb tests they requested . If you have a friend that works there go through the process if not you might be wasting your time and money .
Pros
Helping people
Cons
The way they operate
Abbott House
Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 19, 2018
The organization at the time I was hired was a complete disarray. I had started with three other new employees and by the time I actually remembered one of there names they had put in their two week notice due to the position being overwhelming.
Very fun
DIRECT CARE WORKER/YOUTH SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Irvington, NYMarch 8, 2018
Execellent fun to work there.. I like all the trainings , meeting are wonderful, c benefits 401k is great. Management is very caring about your needs
Overworked but no pay
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Irvington, NYJanuary 18, 2018
This place is a good start off job but 12.50 a hour is ridiculous for the amount of work you have to do. Managers are always changing. Not a very organized organization. There is better out there.
Benefits
Cons
low pay, over worked. easy to catch a case, staff rotate fast
Great work life balance
Manager (Current Employee) –  Irvington, NYJanuary 17, 2018
Generous time both vacation and sick time. Additional personal time. Fast pace work environment keeps you moving. great team atmosphere active leadership
Pros
Generous time off
if you're not part of the CLICK you will lose your job
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MAJanuary 8, 2018
they are very "clicky", they spend their time bad mouthing others and if you don't do the same, you are singled out. FACTS! i was told this from day one but wanted to give it a chance and sure enough, i wasn't fake and therefor I didn't fit in.
The position is very enjoyable working with children.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 8, 2017
I work as a Waiver Service Provider for children who suffer from Disabilities, such as ADHD, Autism or Depression.
I have learned to have the child feel comfortable and to have positive conversations about him/herself.
This has helped children want to work harder on a skill.

The hardest part of my job is when I see a child get upset when they feel unwanted by parents or their peers.

I enjoy watching children obtain a required goal.
Pros
Observing a child achieve his /her goal.
Cons
The hours which the child request to see a Waiver Service Provider are denied
HCI/social work
Case Manager/Health Care Integrator (HCI) (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 6, 2017
The volume of reporting/paper work was overwhelming.Supervisors all great. Enjoyed having opportunity to for with all the families. was very happy to see inprovement among those children served.
Pros
C0-workers supportive and positive
Balanced
Administrative Assistant/IT Liaison (Former Employee) –  1775 Grand Concourse Bronx, NYNovember 16, 2017
it was an interesting experience to see so many young people with no family and no where to go. The lack of love was written on all the faces I came across in my time there. But I tried to change that, and with some help, we were able to change some frowns upside down. Foster Care is a tough and cruel business, that can also bring fulfillment and purpose
Pros
Helping people in need
Cons
Low pay mediocre benefits
Poor upper management
Director (Former Employee) –  Irvington, NYNovember 11, 2017
For many years, Abbott House has been a generally solid and stable social service agency. The upper management for the last 5 years, however, has not been so good.

Many skilled, talented and dedicated staff are passed over to promote management kiss ups.
Pros
there are a lot of good people who work there
Cons
management