Abbott House Employee Reviews

Extremely Stressful and Overwhelming JoB
Case Planner (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 30, 2018
This job is extremely exhausting. You are not allowed to do any overtime. Most of the time you have to work off the clock so that you don't run into overtime. The foster parents and birth parents are rude to you. They blame you for taking their child. You are responsible for visiting dangerous homes or shelters without assistance. Every week someone resigns from the position as case planner. I am thankful for the job, however I am not thankful for the mental and overworked abuse. Make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.
Pros
Co-workers are helpful
Cons
no work life balance, stressful, overworked, highly underpaid
Contracted Staff
Contracted Employee (Current Employee) –  Various SitesJune 24, 2018
I visited many different sites for many different reasons as a contact staff. The culture of the organization surrounds the needs of those serviced. Administration is pretty clear with their expectations of maintaining the current organizational culture. The direct support staff simply need to "stay in their lane" and understand that they do not always need to be aware of what administration is doing and frankly, do what is expected of them for the individuals. All changes happen for a reason, and this is an agency where a "go with the flow" attitude is necessary to be successful in any position.
Pros
The individuals and salaries are great for the area
Cons
Staff need to mind their business, focus on why we are all here, and stop being juvenile.
Great Place to start fresh out of college
Sociotherapist (Former Employee) –  New WindsorAugust 22, 2018
The supervisors are wonderful. The pay and salary needs improvement I don’t believe it is at the cost of living wages. I also believe there should be one set salary, and not an array of individuals doing the same job but getting paid differently.
Pros
The children
Cons
Lack of financial support, improvement with staff knowing one another, salary/hourly increase
Foster Care Department is a terrible department to work for.
Director (Former Employee) –  Bronx/ IrvingtonDecember 15, 2018
The Bronx site is unprofessional and unsafe.No security for staff and clients. The directors are unorganize with no sense of urgency; and they lack professionalism, collaboration and organizational leadership skills. There is a lot of caseplanner vacancies and retained staff is very overwhelmed and burned out. Do not work there.
Pros
The Flex spending card is great.
Cons
No contributions towards your retirement plan.
Productive and Fun
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Irvington, NYApril 11, 2018
Great Company to work for. This company is a great start for anyone who is willing to continue their education. Abbott House is flexible and understanding when it come to going to school. I love my time here, but being that my education background has advance it is time for me to look for other opportunities in my field.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Management are not always professional
Very fun
DIRECT CARE WORKER/YOUTH SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Irvington, NYMarch 8, 2018
Execellent fun to work there.. I like all the trainings , meeting are wonderful, c benefits 401k is great. Management is very caring about your needs
You Won't Be There Long
Health Care Integrator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 21, 2017
Some of the management are very supportive but most have a very "clique" mentality which makes it hard to advance if you are not in or willing to get into the clique. Staff overall are very supportive of each other even when we don't like each other. The pay is decent but like many social service jobs you will not get a raise unless you earn another credential. I do not know how the agency is run with the implementation of managed care so staff might have more than 6 clients which is supposed to be the max by state mandate. Unfortunately you will most likely have more because of the high turn over rate. During my time there most of the staff had extra cases without compensation.
Pros
supportive employees
Cons
management and little room for advancement
Very toixic
Clinician (Former Employee) –  irvintonMay 24, 2018
The agency need more structure and better management. They are not supportive and you find yourself trying to figure things out by yourself and at the last minute. CEO are not aware that employees are being taken advantage and not being guided,
Pros
arean and parking
Cons
poor supervisor
Must discard hci - b2h (bx) program
Health Care Integrator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 25, 2017
Working as a HCI @ Abbott House is comparable to being a Glorified, Over Qualified Secretary. The preoccupation with paperwork/cases gives it a third - world factory feel which is a Huge Disservice to the children and families to be served. Often times, you are strongly Discouraged to use your well deserved time earned despite mandatory overtime which leads to very Poor Work-Life Balance. BAD Management; Management are very UnProfessional and very UnEthical. Management try to pit workers against each other in the hope that one or the other get promoted when all along if/when a promotion becomes available, it is going to one of managements less qualified Goons. NO Job Growth and stressful environment. I have NEVER been at a job where there is such a High TurnOver on a daily basis. Some of the most memorable moments are trainings and celebrations for non sensical events that often times included free food. Strongly NOT Recommended to work there. Use your talents, elsewhere.....
Pros
Supportive, caring & Hardworking co workers
Cons
BAD Management, Low pay scales, NO job growth, stressful environment
Nice but tiring
Therapeutic Worker Social (Former Employee) –  Westchester, NYSeptember 22, 2018
Large case load and tiring. Fairly stressful dealing with therapeutic children with children often in different cities over a large geographic area. Emotionally draining at times.
A waste of time
Bilingual youth coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irvington NYMarch 20, 2018
I had applied to the Abbott House a few months back . They called me in for a interview and after 2 hours and my credentials being confirmed I was offered the position . I was asked which schedule
I would want and was asked to complete the following required health , drug and identity process . I did everything in a timely matter and was promised to be reimbursed on the costs of the test if I was charged . I completed everything within the week and called to confirm . They stated that they changed there mind giving me no reason and took them 1 month to reimburse me . They only gave me back $87.00 out of the $350 in health exams and tb tests they requested . If you have a friend that works there go through the process if not you might be wasting your time and money .
Pros
Helping people
Cons
The way they operate
The position is very enjoyable working with children.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 8, 2017
I work as a Waiver Service Provider for children who suffer from Disabilities, such as ADHD, Autism or Depression.
I have learned to have the child feel comfortable and to have positive conversations about him/herself.
This has helped children want to work harder on a skill.

The hardest part of my job is when I see a child get upset when they feel unwanted by parents or their peers.

I enjoy watching children obtain a required goal.
Pros
Observing a child achieve his /her goal.
Cons
The hours which the child request to see a Waiver Service Provider are denied
Poor work environment. Positive relationships with co workers is not encouraged. Lack of training and support and penalized when mistakes occur
WSP (Former Employee) –  Westchester County, NYMay 1, 2018
Positive relationships especially between line staff and managers strongly discouraged. Negative atmosphere with massive turnover of staff. Challenging not fully knowing expectations and not receiving proper training and supervision
Working with the disable playing various sports and educating the population
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  100 north broadway, irvingtin nyOctober 18, 2017
The good workers are over worked, while bad staff seems to get away with murder. The paper work could be much better. Need to do more computer reporting than paper processing. Company needs to reward good work. However, very fulfilling and rewarding working with the disable population. We are there to make sure the population is safe. That would involved reporting any abusive situation directed at the population. Whenever, a report is made as it relates to abuse, the whistleblowers are targeted by management. I was transferred for been a whisleblower, saying that i cannot get along with my coworkers. Months after, they brought the abusive staff to work with me at the new located because the parent of the abuse child didn't want that staff near her child.
Abbott House
Therapeutic Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYApril 4, 2018
Typical day was unsteady and stressful

The hardest part was keeping up with notes while driving from Westchester and Dutchess county, and starting on a note where previous worker was behind, so I started behind on notes.

The most enjoyable part was working with others

Typical day included home visits, office visits, taking children to Dr. and court appointments.
Pros
Enjoyed working as a team member
Cons
The work load was impossible to keep and maintain up to date
Low Salary & Poor Management
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 21, 2017
The salary is low and is a lot of work. And the management skills are poor. Typical work day e-mails, calls, clients, reports, progress notes. Very chaotic w/o a plan.
Pros
Management is understanding. Ability to grow.
Cons
Pay, support.
Not a great place to grow
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Irvington, NYFebruary 1, 2017
A great culture for favoritism, gossip, backstabbing and adults who act like pre-schoolers. Some of the children who come in are not supervised properly by the counselors, because they allow the children to run wild and curse very frequently. Some of the counselors are high on drugs, and all most of the employees do there is gossip. Otherwise, if you need the experience working in a non-profit environment, it's great because that's all you're going to get.
Pros
Nice schedule, no weekends, good learning experience
Cons
Micro management, very high turnover, all about money, and place needs updating
not bad
Socio-Therapist/Therapeutic Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2018
Abbott house is a great agency for providing stakeholders with an array of services and programs but the staff aren't valued. pay needs to greatly improve, starting with overtime as opposed to comp time---coming into late work or leaving early if more than 40 hours worked per week
Overworked but no pay
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Irvington, NYJanuary 18, 2018
This place is a good start off job but 12.50 a hour is ridiculous for the amount of work you have to do. Managers are always changing. Not a very organized organization. There is better out there.
Benefits
Cons
low pay, over worked. easy to catch a case, staff rotate fast
Productive and fun place to work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Spring Valley, NYApril 30, 2018
I learn at lot with People with developmental disabilities at Abbott House. I was Med certified and Learn a Lot of medical terms. It was really fun to go on outings with individuals. I learned how to be more patient and understandable with others.