ABF Freight

ABF Freight Employee Reviews

United States563 reviews

freightterminalunionteamsterdockdriverltlseniority

Great people

I really loved the people I worked with her, but the terminal manager was not my favorite boss. I always felt like I had to work twice as hard to earn respect and fair treatment. Would never work there again.

What is the best part of working at the company?Good pay. That is the only good thing about this company.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Corporate controlled by a former Wal-Mart accountant. You are nothing but a number. A few years ago she just did away with non-union pensions. While your union employees retire with 7K a month. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Long hours and lots of responsibilities. What is a typical day like for you at the company?Start at 3:30am. Run the daily operation and if you are lucky you get out by 3:30pm. With all other duties you are doing the work of 3 people daily. That is exactly what they replaced me with (3 people) after 19 years. Somehow that looks better on a spreadsheet.

ABF Freight insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues

A great place to work

A great place to work. great salary, loads of opportunities to learn and advance. The benefits could be better, but I will hang in there and try to learn as much as I can.

never same work hours,never same days off

being extra board driver was rough.first,never had same start hours. never had same run. they would call you at 10 hours off and tell you to be there in 2 hours to run . then there was tim,es you be 3rd or 4th on the board never knowing when you were going to work. then they would call and say you have 2hrs to be there to run. never could get a schedule for sleep. wasnt there long didnt feel like it was to safe being on different sleep and work schedules

Not what is promised

If your single have no life, family or want to be around your family than this the job for you. Benefits don't start right away and the pay is sub par. But if your willing to stick around and get seniority i can see it being okay..... just get ready to sit on the extra board.

Not a bad company. Good benifits

Revolving door of management and supervision, company jumps over dollars to pick up pennies. Run down office, dock ,yard and city equipment. Inexperienced management makes this place a difficult test in patience at times. Good teamsters benefits.pay is mediocre at best

Fast paced/great benefits

Started here for the benefits.If you have a question, just ask anyone and they are willing to help.Can be cold at times but if you like to stay busy it is non stop. As long as your constantly moving freight then managers leave you alone

No Time Away From Phone For Lunch/ Breaks

Company likes to say they care for the employee but do not practice what they preach. No time away from phones for lunch and formal breaks are non-existent.

Not a good place to work

Management hates you and the Union cares only about the monthly fee you pay. Seniority doesn’t means much anymore, the bottom guys just have to smuch some management rear and they treated better than the ones with a lot of seniority .

Benefits

Cons

Everything else

A system built to ensure you don't succeed

In every company, there is a role in which the responsibility outweighs the ability to impact the thing one is responsible for managing. The outbound supervisor is that at ABF. You will not be given the tools and training you need, but you'll be judged as if you are. It's unfair and a part of this role.

Great Place to Work

It’s a great place to work, all insurance is covered and you are union. You will start on the dock and everything is off seniority. So don’t come in expecting to drive. This dock is open air dock so must dress according to weather and all their freight is miscellaneous. Other than that, it’s a great place to work. Pay is okay, they are in contract negotiations now. Also u will probably start on night shift.

Abf otr

Eh okay pay could be better, benefits are the absolute best and you don’t pay a penny. Dispatchers can be rough but most of them will help you out when needed. Management only knows what you bring to the table. Open door policy is great. I loved it and wished my health didn’t cause me to leave.

Pros

Outstanding benefits

Cons

Hometime

What is the best part of working at the company?Good benefits and decent pay. Enjoyed having the Teamsters Union backing. Can't be fired if someone doesn't like you.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Making your appointments, most all of the deliveries have appointments. Driving in adverse weather, dealing with stop and go traffic.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?They treat you good as long as you get your work done as expected.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Hustling most of the day, working 8 to 12 hours per day. Trying to please the company and the customers while safely manuvering the big truck thru tight spaces.

Don't work here. Been in the Ltl business for 12 years at another company come here and it's a complete mess. Seasoned employees think they know every thing about freight and look down on the new hires. Dock is too small compared to my current job. And they think zip-ties will secure freight that's loaded on load bars... What a joke

Changed

They say changes are good for our industry. Maybe. However, the mobile platforms they are piloting in Kansas City, Indianapolis and soon enough in Salt Lake City seem to be creating more problems than fixing. We're using customer freight to test an idea and reinvent a wheel that's worked well for over 100 years. Great union benefits, pay could be better and management could micro manage less. I would still recommend a job here because strength is in numbers.

union

Benefits are great. Pay is good.The largest issue to be honest is a parent company that would not exist if it weren't for ABF called arcbest that is slowly attempting to kill ABF.

Great benefits, decent pay

Union job. Incredible paid for union benefits. pay is alright, one of the lowest hourly rates for LTL freight. As you saw above, UNION. I pay my dues, but can't say I'm on board with them. There's always some political bs going on between management and the union. bunch of cry baby union employees. that's your decision to decide how you feel about the union. If you need to transfer terminals, don't. just find a new job. I was forced to resign and rehire which resulted in me losing 10% pay, all vacation and insurance benefits, and is was in a different region so my pension was affected as well. basically had to restart as a completely new hire after 2.5 years. seniority rules so you will be working overnights and across the weekend for several years unless you work end-of-line. you won't drive hardly ever. dock or yard work only. if you are at a larger terminal you will work an 8 hour bid shift and can only work overtime if it is offered to you. overall I do not recommend working here. Great benefits and job security but in my opinion, the union ruins it.

What is the best part of working at the company?Good company for money bad schedule. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?You should respect the sleeping time you don’t suppose to call me for work at bed time. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?If you are at the bottom of seniority get a lot of Red Bull.

Productive and fun

Benefits were ok however they micro managed you and the crm tool they hounded you on. Lot of travel and they always wanted the pipeline of accounts updated ever eeek

Great working environment

Great people to work with and the benefits are hard to beat. Work is challenging at time; however, if you can drive here you can drive anywhere. Pay could be better to match cost of living on island.

Great Place to Work if you're Self-Driven

I have been with ABF almost a year. I can honestly say the place is great to work. I could work somewhere else for more pay. But, if the environment you are in is a great place to work, it's best to just keep working there. I also love helping people. There's nothing better than knowing you are helping someone. Your decisions may make or someone's day.

Pros

Majority of everyone has a positive attitude

Cons

Good benefits for people that need them

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ABF Freight. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

1.8
InHerSight Score
1.7Personal Development
2.2Career Opportunities
1.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare ABF Freight with

ABF Freight reviews by popular job title

• Transportation & Logistics