ABF Freight Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
City Driver
City Commercial Driver (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 13, 2018
Deliver/pick up freight in the bay area. Drive 28/53 ft trailers. Also forklifts, double trailers, and containers. Package and label frieght or orders.
Pros
great benefits, flexible hours, great pay
Cons
Fast paced from start to finish
OSAD/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJuly 11, 2018
Always busy....constant phone customer service from getting rates to tracing shipments. Daily payroll and account receivable reports along with deposit.
Pros
always busy
Cons
new branch manager
some what stressful
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 9, 2018
good experience until last few years didn't know the direction they
were going. wouldn't hire as business expanded. Try to always get
more with less.after awhile would get a little old and get you down
Pros
good benifits
Cons
no help when needed
Great place to work.
DOCK WORKER (Current Employee) –  Conley, GAJuly 6, 2018
Great job for part time and/or if you're in school. They're real flexible with hours but they prefer you to come mostly on the weekends. They pay pretty good as well with time and a half on certain holidays.
Productive Work life
Driver (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 10, 2018
Work place is very productive. As far as line haul, great money great terminal in Albuquerque. Work life gets busy in the summer but pretty slow during the winter. Working in Albuquerque as a drive, you learn how to drive in the most harsh conditions mainly winter and mountain driving.
Horrible company to work for!
City Driver (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 8, 2018
All I can say is, if u wanna work for an employer who doesn’t value you as a driver and could care less about jeapordizing ur safety record you’ve come to the right place? They take the word logistics out of being a logistics company because the so called management doesn’t communicate at all! The left hand never knows what the right hand is doing, absolutely no training, terrible freight to deal with and impossible locations to deliver to at times which management could care less about what has to be done... just do it mentality? Last but not lease, there’s not a single driver or manager that can be trusted so my advise would be keep to urself at all cost!
Pros
Teamster benefits
Cons
Everything else
Enjoy working there.
Casual ( dock & yard jockey ) (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 6, 2018
Seasonal work gets slow in winter. ( the nature of the freight business ). Enjoy how every day brings a variety of challenges. Fellow workers are easy to get along with ( a lot of working together ).
Pros
Work when want ( casusal)
Cons
Wrather
Terrible place to work
Forklift Operator Certified (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTMay 30, 2018
Horrible company to work for terrible management all the way up terrible working hours they don't give you vacation for I think the first two years they took our they cut our pay the Union contract they took a week's vacation from us they are just horrible horrible company to work for they hire green managers to run the place
Pros
There are no Pros
Cons
Very bad management all the way up to many cons to list
Excellent Corporate Culture
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Conley, GAMay 29, 2018
Well managed company. Takes care of its people. They have a very structured Quality Process that has been effective in all aspects of their operations,
Pros
Believe in ther people
Cons
Teamster Union
Excellent company
Administrative Assistant to VP Transportation (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARMay 28, 2018
During my employment with ABF Freight System the company was understanding of family situations, however, you were expected to perform your task in a quality manner and you had an opportunity to attend Quality Training.
Pros
Benefits and People
Cons
Could be stressful
Watch out for upper management
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 14, 2018
I was in middle management and my manager was out to get me and my shift partner at any cost. Cut-throat is the best word to describe the atmosphere of the job.
Local Management is Terrible
Road Driver (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMay 13, 2018
Typical day at work: You're expected to be on call from 7 am - 7 am the next morning. If you miss your call to work, you're threatened to be written up. This company forces you out when weather conditions have roads closed or restricted or have weather restrictions such as no unnecessary travel. Local management constantly sends drivers out on dispatch with light trailers in high winds. No consistent dispatch times from day to day. They constantly have loads going out but no loads to get you back home.
Excellent company
Regional Manager of Safety, Security, and Training (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARMay 10, 2018
Pleasant and rewarding.
It was a very fast paced job. My responsibilities encompassed 25 terminals over 5 states. Drivers, training, safety, inspections, reviews and reports on all aforementioned duties.
Pros
Superb management
War
Heavy Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARMay 10, 2018
I was there for some time. Management likes to create a hostile work environment then blame the drivers. Once you are on the road the job is fine and paychecks are good.
Pros
Money, work
Cons
Great place to start career in logistics/management
HVXP Coordinator and Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 10, 2018
I went through the Management Trainee Program. Upon my completion, my first assignment was in Springfield, MO. In Springfield I was the operations supervisor. Day to day was challenging and had a good team environment. Too long of hours due to lack of drivers/dock workers. I learned a lot. Promoted to a regional position back in KCMO.
Back in KC after the Management Trainee Program, I worked at nights. This was ultimately the reason for me leaving. Teamsters in KC are less than favorable subordinates. There are a few bright stars with that natural "hard-working" characteristic, otherwise you have to constantly be on their case.
Fast paced, challenging and sometimes exciting. I enjoyed the culture of ABF. I would recommend to others. They really need to fix the work/life balance aspect with supervisors or there will constantly be turnover, especially with the ever increasing millennial workforce.
Pros
Laid back atmosphere
Cons
Teamsters, time off
Rewarding Job, difficult hours.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Sauk Village, ILMay 3, 2018
Work consisted of either stripping trailers or filling them with freight.
Management was average, not the best I have ever had but far from the worst.
The coworkers were amazing and made me look forward to work.
The hardest part of the job was the training.
Pros
Great coworkers, good pay, union
Cons
On-call, unstable hours
Abf freight
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 17, 2018
Trucking requires a special skillset and is a demanding lifestyle, but many find it rewarding. "I enjoy posting pictures and video of the views from my 'office window' on my Facebook page," says Loren West, a former long-haul trucker in an ABC exclusive. "Many of my followers marvel at the places I’ve been and tell me how fortunate I am to live this kind of life."

If you are one of those delivering America, thank you! We hope everyone has the opportunity to extend gratitude to a trucker as we celebrate Truck Driver Appreciation Week.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Lots of politics
Toxic and Hostile
Driver (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 16, 2018
The level of incompetence in management is staggering! This company's tactics are so slanted that when their lips are moving you better believe they are lying! The only good thing about working at ABF was being a Teamster!
Pros
Being a Teamster
Cons
Was a stressful mis managed job
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 6, 2018
I would not recommend this company to anyone who is seeking a job outside of an office environment, and wants to see advancement in a company. this company is not progressive
Horrible place to be
Supply Chain Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2018
Walk away. To much friction between labor/union & non-union "management" positions.
Unrealistic expectations for every position.
Managers are improperly trained to manage people.
Very outdated ideas and thoughts of roles and people.
Company is aging, and not open to "younger" ideas or efficiencies. Expect to work minimum 11 hours a day, including after hours "customer meetings," and "weekend customer events" these are mandatory per RVP's instructions
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management isn't trained properly to manage, Work-Life balance is non-existent