ABF Freight Employee Reviews

A solid company to work for
Line Driver (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 4, 2019
The only reason I'm leaving is because I'm going to be moving and retiring I have been here for 24 years and would like to stay but circumstances make that I need to move family obligations
Pros
A solid company to work for
Cons
I really do not have anything negative to say they've treated me well
Great job, for some
Frieght Handler (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 3, 2019
You start off at $16.25 until you are hired on full time. You also start off on call around the clock. its hard to find free time when you never know if you work or not. once you get to full time scheduling works on a bidding system. the longer you work there the better shifts you get.
Pros
pay
Cons
on call
Good place
Supplemental Dockworker, Trailer Hostler (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 22, 2019
Family oriented , but a national co. Management let’s u make the right choice. Do what’s expected , no worries !work is easy grasp.hot/cold work environment
Pros
No stress
Cons
Need more hours
Place is going down hill
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaMay 21, 2019
Place is a joke they don't want to go out and get any freight nobody wants to work great job if u don't want to anything they dont care just running the freight to panther
It was ok as long as you can play politics with the senior guys
Semi-Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Pine Brook, NJMay 15, 2019
Lota of politic do the seniority of the guys and the changing oh shirt. Every 3 month the would change shirt and the most senior get to pick first so your perso nal life depent on what shift they leave you with.
Pros
To much over time
Cons
To much over time
Its either ABF or nothing.
City Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 7, 2019
The work life balance is horrible. Its 50 hours a week minimum, but don't let another supervisor be out that week. 60 hours easy. Only 10 vacation days. For the amount of stress this job puts on you it should at least be a month. Management doesn't care about you as a person only the quota and goals being met.
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Stratford, CTApril 1, 2019
I would keep the grounds clean at all times, empty the trash, clean and sweep the trucks. I'd make sure all of the shipping products were safe, while I was on duty.
Pros
15 min breaks
High Velocity Exchange Point Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PAMarch 26, 2019
This job prepares you for other opportunities down the road. It is tough being part of an union job but pay and knowledge is great. The work/life balance was better than any job i had.
good place over all
Road Driver (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 22, 2019
being a road driver for abf on the extra board you have to be on call 24/7 and work 6 or more days before you get days off. it is a union job, so there is animosity between drivers and management. equipment is new and very well maintened. away for home and laying over in company hotels was the worse part of the job for me.
Pros
get paid for everything you do
Cons
very little time off
no full time work
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 18, 2019
not steady work on call 5 days a week only work when they need you. great healthcare and retirement but you have too get seniority or you dont work. If its a small terminal you have to wait for somebody retire or go out on disability because not very drivers quit because of free health care and free retirement plus 26.00 hour and time and a half after 8 hours
Pros
health care retirement good
Cons
no guarantee of working
Traveling and dealing with customers great enjoyment
Checker/ P&D Driver (Former Employee) –  Delray Beach FloridaMarch 9, 2019
Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide a significant review of this former employer due to non-disclosure.I worked there Monday through Friday 12 to 14-hour days, very little with time family are friends what a pleasant lot of pleasant communication with employees and customers, I was blessed by God for the opportunity to be there in return I hope others were last also with my present.
Work day experience
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 6, 2019
Learning operations and how LTL carriers get the job done is interesting to say they least. It is a all or nothing environment physically demanding and mentally tiring. It is unionized and the hardest part of the job is working with the employees to complete task. The time off is the most enjoyable for management when we are fully staffed we can see only working 14 days a month.
Pros
Time off
Cons
No sick days or extensive training.
did not like the atmosphere
CDL Driver/Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 24, 2019
able to make good money at the job and the job itself was not bad. but having said dealing with the whole seniority thing was to much. basically after maybe 10 years you will be set in a set bid. does not work with family
Hard Work
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Conley, GAFebruary 20, 2019
The drive for me was pretty easy considering I was only about 30-45 minutes away. Working at ABF was easy and I liked working the long freight that came in regularly. Management was good but everyone ain't perfect. The culture for ABF is great if you need help all you have to do is ask. The hardest part of the job is not knowing what your trailer is going to look like. The most enjoyable part of the job was that you could work with a partner on the two-man loads.
Nice Place To Work
Scheduling / Routing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Aston PAFebruary 8, 2019
It was a nice place to work, not a lot of room for advancement though. Could be boring at times and dealing with the general public for deliveries could be hard
Pros
Supportive Managers
Cons
Could be slow at times
Hghf
Driver (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2019
I have been here for 5 years the job is good but if don't want to do anything this is the place for I have been driving for 15 years I have never seen guys do nothing and get away with it they do nothing.... To get rid of these guys to some real workers in that care these guys punch in and did there job for the day it a joke.......
Thanks
Bad contracted workers i.e.UNION SCUM
Driver (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 3, 2019
Benefits are great, pay is great, management is limited in employee structure. You work with the bottom of the barrel workers. What happen's when you can't get fired? Lazy,apathetic, ungrateful work force with no bar for how low you can go.
Need a career? This is the place.
Road Driver (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PAJanuary 2, 2019
ABF gave me the tools and education I needed to perform my job.
Management is willing to work with, and help you perform your job.
The hours are long, and performed mostly at night.
Overall, if you don't mind working long hours away from family, this is not a bad job. The benefits and salary will more than compensate.
Pros
Set own goals. No one staring over your shoulder while you work.
Cons
Long hours, mostly overnight. Time away from family.
Sales Representative
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 20, 2018
I was very fortunate to begin my logistics career at ABF Freight. The Jacksonville office VP was a positive presence onsite. I still remember her saying, "When you're ripe, you rot, and when you're green, you grow." Meaning the team members should always strive to keep learning and bettering ourselves. Mistakes are expected as long as we grow from them.
My direct manager always took time to explain operational info and personally help team members with customer issues, which allowed us to understand how to handle those in the future. Her knowledge of LTL tariffs, Rules tariffs, and Accessorials was instrumental in building my career into an operational one after the ABF Jacksonville office closed.
Pros
Leadership and Management, Training, Culture
Cons
Compensation, growth opportunities
Unions are great for slackers,but if you are a good worker,Abf is not for you
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Sauk Village, ILDecember 2, 2018
l worked 28 years for Abf as a mechanic in the shop.The management sucked! For the future mechanics out there,if you're a slacker,Abf is the place for you.The more you do the more they give you to do.Instead of getting after the slackers they would over work the guys that worked. I would never refer anyone to work there,even if they bribed me with their 750 dollar finders fee!
Pros
Union benefits