ABF Freight Employee Reviews

Abf freight
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 17, 2018
Trucking requires a special skillset and is a demanding lifestyle, but many find it rewarding. "I enjoy posting pictures and video of the views from my 'office window' on my Facebook page," says Loren West, a former long-haul trucker in an ABC exclusive. "Many of my followers marvel at the places I’ve been and tell me how fortunate I am to live this kind of life."

If you are one of those delivering America, thank you! We hope everyone has the opportunity to extend gratitude to a trucker as we celebrate Truck Driver Appreciation Week.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Lots of politics
Toxic and Hostile
Driver (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 16, 2018
The level of incompetence in management is staggering! This company's tactics are so slanted that when their lips are moving you better believe they are lying! The only good thing about working at ABF was being a Teamster!
Pros
Being a Teamster
Cons
Was a stressful mis managed job
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 6, 2018
I would not recommend this company to anyone who is seeking a job outside of an office environment, and wants to see advancement in a company. this company is not progressive
Horrible place to be
Supply Chain Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2018
Walk away. To much friction between labor/union & non-union "management" positions.
Unrealistic expectations for every position.
Managers are improperly trained to manage people.
Very outdated ideas and thoughts of roles and people.
Company is aging, and not open to "younger" ideas or efficiencies. Expect to work minimum 11 hours a day, including after hours "customer meetings," and "weekend customer events" these are mandatory per RVP's instructions
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management isn't trained properly to manage, Work-Life balance is non-existent
Outstanding company
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 27, 2018
A really outstanding company to work for!! A typical day is fast paced and busy. Your skills as a city driver are tested. You run hard to care of the customers. The hardest part of the job is the LA traffic. The most enjoyable is working together to take care of the core customers in a professional way.
Pros
Let you do your job
Cons
Not enough vacation
better places to work
Delivery Driver and supervisor (Current Employee) –  Conley, GAMarch 26, 2018
seniority rules. Your new hire, well nights weekend for very long time. You bid sometimes twice a month, No vacation until your second year. long days
Pros
insurance
Cons
seniority
Good company
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2018
Company was great to work for and I enjoyed the people. They compensate very well. Sales was just not for me and I did not see a future career path that fit my needs.
great place, good people
thrity years in transportation (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 15, 2018
my work consist of transporting freight to other terminals.. the enviroment that was at work was very good and management was attentive and understanding. the hardest part of my employment was leaving my family constantly. The best part was giving me the oppurtunity to live well, and progress putting children through school and other personal oppurtunities!
Bunch of back stabbing...liars and no class workers..Manager is a liar...like someone said lie enough to get you hired....then treat you like ish.
Casual Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2018
lies back stabbers mean nasty dirty mouths mean angry at life...Trainer is a very nice person..you have to have some knowledge of this work or you are screwed
Pros
pay
Cons
..no paid time off...snow days no pay day...bathroom in office with staff...
Great Management Trainee Program
Transportation Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oswego, ILMarch 13, 2018
Start with ABF out of college in their management trainee program. They did a great job training employees in this program to deal with all facets of the business.
Pros
Training
Cons
LTL Trucking Sales is cut-throat
very stressful and back breaking work but pay is good
Forklift Operator/Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PAMarch 12, 2018
very fast paced job, but stressful. The pay and benefits are excellent. the weather effects everything on the dock. Need the ability to load and unload heavy freight and awkward pieces,
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
weather, distance
Poor Management
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, AR 72903March 9, 2018
I experienced extreme harassment and bullying from indirect managers and it was never taken care of and still happens. No one that worked there when I was there is still employed there.
Suppose to be driver mostly work the dock and yard
Checker driver (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, paMarch 4, 2018
I would not recommend this job to anyone management is horrible thay will tell you what you want to hear to get you hired then you will be put on night shift only to be bumped around nights and day's nine guy's have quit in three and a half years that should tell you something about the place
Pros
Pay check
Cons
Terrible place to work
Good bunch of people to work with
P&D Driver (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILFebruary 17, 2018
Good place to work people helped each other, just don't get hurt on the job they will dig into your past and try to find something they can fire you for
Pros
Good insurance
Cons
Fire you if you get hurt on job
Okay place to work
Dock Worker/ Casual (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 14, 2018
As a casual, you will be called on short notice and asked to come in. You are required to join the union which provides zero benefits to casuals as you can be fired at any time. You also are required to pay union dues even when you don't work. Full time employees do not respect casuals and are unwilling to work with them. Management was unwilling to stick up to lazy Co workers and hostile Co workers. Management was basically dead weight. Pay was nice and you could almost make your schedule every week what you wanted. Job security was zero for casuals, and the work culture was very depressing. Zero team bonding. Casuals were also given the freight full time employees were unwilling to handle because it was difficult...
Pros
Pay, Flexibility
Cons
Union, Co Workers
Overall a good place to work
Line-Haul Driver (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDFebruary 11, 2018
If on the bottom of the seniority list then it can be a little hectic with lots of weekends otherwise very steady work and fairly compensated with excellent benefits.
Frustrating company and union to work in
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 6, 2018
This company was great when I started, but has been crumbling over the past few years. The base pay is amazing, but expect to live in the office. We are so understaffed that there is forced overtime nearly every night. The hiring process for new employees takes about three months, so by the time we offer someone a job, they've usually found something else. The union is crooked and screw us over every round of negotiations. New hires don't get any vacation days until they've worked two years.
Pros
High hourly pay rate
Cons
Long hours, no vacation days, union mentality
Confusing
Driver/Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 1, 2018
Union to many layoffs poor equipment to much confusion the supervision is not on same page and they don’t know what they are doing. Management seems to care more about self gain then how moral is.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Run down equipment
Sometimes rewarding, sometimes frustrating
Dockworker (Casual-Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 23, 2018
This is a union position (Teamsters) and has the positive and negative aspects that come with a union job.
The positive aspect is the pay. In my opinion (as a part-time casual job) it's the best part-time job in town.
And now the negative. Maybe it's just my upbringing, but I always assumed that a person should work 8 hours if they're paid for 8 hours. Dock casuals tend to work harder than the regular employees because they're trying to get hired as regulars. But at ABF, there were a LOT of regulars that apparently figured they worked hard enough as casuals, that they don't have to work hard. Ever.
It's very annoying to be working your tail off for $16/hr while you see multiple regular employees driving around the dock making $25/hr thinking their job is to TALK to each other about their personal lives.
Pros
Excellent $16/hr casual pay, opportunity for a $25/hr regular position (if it EVER happens)
Cons
Union protection for deadbeat employees on the roster above you.
Great people to wirk for
Casual Driver (Current Employee) –  Tifton, GAJanuary 21, 2018
ABF is a great company to work for, hours vary for casual drivers, if things slow down casuals are the first to lose hours. Usually no set start time for casual drivers and may have to work late nights. Don't expect much time at home in the evenings
Pros
Great pay
Cons
No family time in the evenings