abilities network Employee Reviews

It is a good and fulfilling job with very little pay
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 30, 2018
I honestly loved what I did, I just didn't love how I was forced to do it, Government funding can sometimes come with regulations that can be frustrating. Management pushed for funding increase with state government but ultimately expects too much from employees for what they can compensate. I also wished there was more nourishment for growth from management, I felt like I was praised a lot but given very little opportunity to actually move up. There is also a ridiculous amount of travel involved with the job, sometime up to 150 miles a day. overall a good job that lacks the proper funding to truly give employees reasonable pay. Staff is fantastic and hardworking. Learning how to multitask and memorize is crucial for success in this role.
High Retention rate, Poor salary, unorganized, lack of training, poor management
Employment Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMarch 3, 2018
Would not recommend for employment. Poor management, no training, no team effort. Poor management; pay does not compensate for the amount of work expected. Revolving door; retention is poor.
A best place to work
Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDFebruary 8, 2018
I really enjoy working for Abilities Network. I never had any kind of problem. I wish they pay me a little more than they pay me now. Great hours, good management, great benefit....
Pros
Flexable
Cons
N/a
Haven't worked here in years
FAMILY PARTNER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2018
It has been many years since I worked for this organization. I enjoyed the work and working with the employees. The contract rate was much less than anticipated.
Great place to work if it is in your field
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDSeptember 15, 2017
The benefits were awesome, the pay not so great. It was enjoyable working with people with disabilities but the specialist were overworked.

The cons out weigh the pro's. But it is good for a start up job.
Pros
Gas reimbursement, tickets reimbursements, healthcare
Very overwhelmed / Rusted
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  TownsonJuly 12, 2017
As a Employment Specialist, I was rushed while in the two week training. I was told by the current employee who was training me/ leaving at time, they are rushing you because there is no one else. I traveled over 80 miles daily to get to training. I was not paid for 20 miles of the 80 miles traveled. I was very overwhelmed with the orientation that was provided. Mean while during training I was harrased with emails/phones calls for up coming meetings and visits for clients, while trying to complete over 50 trainings on the computer. This job is fast paced and unorganized.I was written up while in the two week process for unknown mistakes made along the way while in training. I was fired and told I could not keep up. "Not the right fit". Although I was excited to exceeded the mission and vision statement. I was not given the chance to be Successful. The managers had no compassion about the employees only about the dollar. Things need to change for better. I feel for the clients in which they serve. You can't have your cake and eat it too.....
Pros
HR Benefits
Cons
Poor management, poor pay, using public wifi, Rushed orientation
Very Interesting Job
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMarch 22, 2017
I would check in to the office in the morning and for the rest of my day drive around to meet my clients. It was a very interesting job that taught me a lot.
Pros
Helping people with disabilities
Cons
Driving around with my own personal car
Great Place to work
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 5, 2016
I really enjoyed my time working at Abilities Network. I learned a lot. Abilities is very supportive of staff gaining knowledge and excelling within the company. Very person oriented. The CEO could be more in touch with staff.
Nice company to work with
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 24, 2016
Nice company to work with, management is good and the clients are amazing. Open door policy. Documentation is minimal and mileage reimbursement is pretty high! The hardest part of working here is being on your feet for extended hours of time.
Pros
Off by 6 pm, rearely working on the weekends.
Cons
No breaks, wear and tear o your car from driving all day.
Great Work Environment
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 6, 2016
This has been one of the best companies I have worked for. Not only do they provide great benefits, they also have gym membership discounts and company events that boost team morale.

Want to know more about abilities network?

Ask a question
Productive and Professional Work Environment
IT Network/Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMarch 5, 2016
One of the best companies I have ever worked for. Very supportive and always willing to help you out. I highly recommend this place of employment to anyone.
Managing and Overseeing Adult's with Disabilities
Employment Specialist/Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDSeptember 29, 2015
Learning how to manage and be organized. Management communicates very well. Co-workers are helpful when needed and can always assisted.
Excellent Executive Director, very skilled in overseeing provision of services for individuals with developmental disabilities, epilepsy and special e
Executive Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Towson, MarylandAugust 23, 2015
Provided overall administrative support to Executive Director, Board of Directors and other Directors as needed. Managed Towson office clerical staff and facilities management issues for 5 offices. Managed calendar, scheduled and attended executive level meetins, took and transcribe meetings, completed various licensing and grant proposals and all board communications. Provided assistance to human resources department relating to recruiting, benefit administration, performance appraisal process and increase cycle. Managed, supervised and performed a variety of administrative tasks to meet agency wide needs.
Pros
Excellent non-profit, very fulfilling work, liked the variety of functionality, Executive Director and Board of Directors were great to work with, I learned a lot while employed there.
Cons
Heavily depends on state funding, loss of substantial funding and restructured, my position was eliminated and the office manager and others absorbed my duties.
Laid Back place to work
Support Manager (Former Employee) –  TowsonAugust 18, 2015
Very flexible work place with not your everyday 9-5 jon

Enjoyable job with not much room to grow but very independent work place that allows the employer to set their hours

Poor Management that was very out of touch with the field workers

Poor Financial managers, 2-3 times throughout my career we faced lay offs and changes.
Pros
Flexibility, Friendly
Cons
Poor Management
The job can be rewarding but it's not for everyone
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMarch 17, 2014
This job can be rewarding if you enjoy helping people and seeing them grow as they gain independence. You will be traveling around the community for the individual to participate in activities related to their goals, whether recreational or employment-related. You may work with someone who likes visiting the library, bowling, or visits the YMCA to exercise; or you may have someone who works but needs on-site job coaching to remain on task. You will help individuals seeking a job through updating resumes, completion/follow up of applications, practicing interview skills, even accompanying the individual to interviews.

There is a lot of texting, emailing, and phone calls. There is no face to face contact with your co-workers unless you have a position in the office, have team meetings, or need to come to the office for another reason. You will be driving your personal vehicle to do the job. Sometimes you will be able to get lunch and sit still to eat; most of the time, it's more like order from the drive through and eat on the way to your next person. One of the hardest parts of the job is working with an uncooperative individual. But you're dealing with adults so you can't make anyone do what you're suggesting. You can just explain the consequences and be firm.
Pros
Mileage/some expense reimbursement, paid on snow days, sometimes bonuses
Cons
No breaks sometimes, somewhat difficult to get promoted

Ask a question about working or interviewing at abilities network. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight