Ability Beyond Employee Reviews

Enjoyable and rewarding
Life Skills Instructor (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTSeptember 17, 2018
A normal work day for my individuals includes assiting with their day to day living as in hygiene, budgeting their money, meal prep, driving to and from work, and taking them on a recreational activity. My management is awesome. The team is only as strong as the management and we have strong close knit team. Work place is a relax but structure enviorment. I woundn't say that there is a hard pat to this job, but you deffinitly need patience. Now the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job is watching the individuals grow and building a strong bond that develops into a family.
the job was ok
Life Skill Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bethel, CTSeptember 7, 2018
helping adults with learning skills and doing their job efficiency and make sure that it was done in a timely manner and making sure that they understood what they were doing
Ability Beyond
Life Skill Instructor (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYAugust 23, 2018
The only area this company lacks is with pay. Some of the consumers that have jobs get paid more than the staff. Those behind the desks are getting paid what we that are doing the hard labor should be paid
ok place to work
LSI (Current Employee) –  Bethel, CTMay 30, 2018
Its not a bad company to work for. If you are just starting off in this field it is a good place. Management could be better. Also the pay is not that great for the amount of work that we do.
workplace
Life Skills Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bethel, CTMay 25, 2018
I like working here. I got this job straight out of hghschool. Because i always wanted to help people this is a great first start. I love working with my clients,
Direct Care
Direct care (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, CTMay 14, 2018
I did direct care taking care of people with traumatic Brain injuries on a weekly basis.Therefore,when you start the job,you have to learned how to work with the client you are with.Furthermore,it`s a mental challenge job, either the client is going to control you or you or going to control the client.However,I took great pride in helping people that needs help,it made me feel good, it was how I was raised. Furthermore, wants you get to know your client,then the job becomes real smooth with no stress.
Stressful but high rewards
Direct Support Professional and Mentor (Current Employee) –  Bethel, CTMay 9, 2018
Assisting individuals with disabilities in their every day lives
Can be stressful and challenging when working with challenging behaviors but the smiles and appreciation are worth it!
working
Overnight Life Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTMay 7, 2018
good atmosphere, please is a little stressful but it's something your would have to be good at multitasking, management was fair but when it came down to wanting to take time off hours did not accumulate quick enough. clients are good when they get use to you and they see you trying to help them out.
Good if you have other jobs.
Life skills instructor (Current Employee) –  Bethel, CTMay 6, 2018
Great if you’re a student or have another job. It’s very stressful at times. Too much going on at times. Sometimes relaxed. Not a job for everyone. Doesn’t pay well.
Good Job
LICENSED SKILLS INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, CTApril 29, 2018
One of the better parts of my job were my clients, they can make you laugh all the time.
The job could be sometimes busy which could be stressfull.
It was unfortunate but the amount of work amd compensation did not go hand & hand
Pros
The clients, coworkers
Cons
Pay, Upper Management
Good Balance of Work and Life
Representative (Former Employee) –  CTApril 6, 2018
Easy-going atmosphere, positive people to work with. Dress was casual. Management was supportive and customer base is solid. Nothing negative to say.
Rewarding place to work!
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mt. Kisco, NYApril 2, 2018
Great place to work! Ability Beyond is a very fast paced environment that can become quite stressful at times! My coworkers genuinely cared for the well-being or their consumers, and worked endlessly to assist them to reach their vocational goals.
Great place to start
Life Skills Instructor (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTMarch 16, 2018
This is a great company to set your foundation for a career in health care. You get paid two week training, they pay for your med certification, and your PPEC. There are a wide range of houses and locations to work at. You can either apply for a permanent position at one of the group homes, or be a "floater" and build your own schedule and work when and where you please.
I had very nice and supportive co workers and one of the best managers
Life Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chappaqua, NYMarch 6, 2018
Wasn't a bad place to work the house I was placed was more like a family. my manager was so caring I loved the clients. Still keep in contact with them to this day
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Pay
Poor work environment
Clinical Team (Former Employee) –  CTFebruary 28, 2018
I worked at Ability Beyond for 2 and a half years. When I first started, we had a management team that cared for the individuals served and created a fostering culture. Within a year, the management team was condensed and replaced and the culture changed immediately. Staff was being required to do things outside of their job description, and the focus shifted from being our client's best interest, to bringing in funds from outside agencies. The work environment became hostile and less therapeutic. The work load increased, but there was no financial compensation for the time put into meeting these new expectations.
Pros
absolutely none
Cons
Lack of support from upper management, Low pay, write ups are done in a sneaky manner, relocate staff without warning, constant changes in schedule, Horrible job culture
Not enough Pay for the Stress
Residential Counselor (Life Skills Instructor) (Current Employee) –  Mount Kisco, NYFebruary 22, 2018
High stress environment if you actually work in a group home. The management is lackluster. Culture is supportive and informative, with co workers working together and at times teaching eachother. The room for advancement is mostly slow, limited and only an option if you have prior training for a management position.
They don't care about the consumers
Life Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  NYJanuary 15, 2018
They do a lot of shady things to cover up when the state comes. I was taught a lot of ways to do things so it looks ok when the state comes in, but wasn't the most ethical.
Good
Life Skills Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bethel, CTJanuary 14, 2018
Ability is just alright. The company tries to treat employees well but direct care employees don't get enough money. This can be a very stressful job depending on the day.. its just not worth the money, all the liability.
Pros
vacation, flexability
Cons
poor pay
Needs better Management
Medical Support Speacialist (Former Employee) –  Bethel, CTJanuary 7, 2018
Stressful job with no encouragement from supervisors. Some days are actually more rewarding than others.The clients make the work worth the stress....
great agency to work for
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bethel, CTJanuary 7, 2018
Nice company to work for. Current position is being eliminated, if i could stay i would. ability to move up in agency. Wonderful clients to work with at agency.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ability Beyond. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.2Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight