Abraxas Youth & Family Services Employee Reviews

False advertising/ false people/long hours
Youth Development Technician (Current Employee) –  Shelby, OHNovember 18, 2019
Was offered a sign on bonus of $3000 and was told I wasn’t going to get it by the Human Resource Director. And to this day I have not received it. Constantly being mandated because people don’t want to come to work. The kids will aggravate you however the people in the office will straight up do you wrong. They don’t care as long as they get their paychecks. They are not the ones who are getting punched or spit on everyday.
Residential Treatment
This was an opportunity to work with Adolescents in a locked facilty, the experience was fulfilling and I managed to develop new skills and I will always appreciate the experience
I would rate working for this company as being poor.
Licensed Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, CONovember 11, 2019
Poor management, dangerous working with out of control teens with minimal staff supervision. Work load more than anyone can manage. Management not supportive of employees.
productive and educational
Team Leader/Manager (Former Employee) –  South Mountain, PANovember 7, 2019
a very mind opening experience. i learned a lot about other cultures and demographics. how living in a poor community can affect youth in a negative manner. a typical day at work was exciting , never a dull moment.
Not appreciated, over worked, poorly organized
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, CONovember 5, 2019
Too much mandatory over time, pay checks often messed up and slow to correct. Staff under appreciated for work they do. Upper on sight management needs to learn how to run a facility
great pay
Therapist I (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COOctober 26, 2019
I was often asked to do things I considered unethical. It was all about the money, and less about getting kiddos back into their homes and community successfully .
Pros
Good pay, free meals, work hours, able to do some documentation at home
Cons
The office space was a closet with no window or a/c or heating vent, expected to extend client time in facility unethically, Admin kept and shared private paperwork without my permission, I had a hard time retrieving my personal papers.
dangerous working conditions
Licensed Mental Health Therapist (Former Employee) –  Canon City, COOctober 23, 2019
Worked ten hours a day and was unable to keep up with the workload. Unorganized organization. Dangerous working condition due to kids out of control and staff being physically hurt on an on going basis. Did not feel safe in this environment.
fun enviorment
Treatment Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PASeptember 15, 2019
Enjoy working there. Only reason why I am looking into alternative employment is to obtain better opportunities to go back to school. Good work environment.
October 18, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. Abraxas Youth & Family Services does offer tuition reimbursement, please check at your work site as to the details of our tuition reimbursement plan. Or, feel free to contact us directly at recruiting@jobsatabraxas.com for more information on this employee benefit.

Inconsistent schedules, constant understaffing, and poor communication
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cañon City, COSeptember 14, 2019
You will frequently be asked to work doubles with little to no warning, and the training is not particularly helpful. The only people that seem to be happy there are the executives and the other people in power. Communication there is often very poor. Would not recommend working here, unless you're solely looking for experience.
October 18, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. When it comes to staffing and scheduling, we are working hard in this area to make positive impacts and are looking at ways to improve our lines of communication.

Facility director on a mission to run the business into the ground
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Cañon City, COSeptember 10, 2019
Hard part of working here is never knowing what random and impulsive decisions/orders/changes that the facility and clinical "directors" are going to implement without communication to or input from those of us actually working with the youth, and how those decisions are going to destroy staffs ability to maintain structure and safety within daily programing with the youth. Awhile back they lost the brains of the operation, their admin director, and since then have been running the place into the ground. Morale among those doing all the real work is lowest I've ever seen, overtime is ridiculously high and of course EXPECTED, employees aren't valued at all, communication from the top down and everywhere in between is almost nonexistent, they laid off several essential staff including the janitor and even the person doing payroll to save money, and eveyone still left works in a constant struggle to just get through each shift without burning the place down or having a riot break out. Paychecks are always off, operations staff and clinical staff are dropping like flies and aren't being replaced, and worst of all, the youth are getting shafted. The admissions team brings them in on false promises that they will be getting therapy/treatment specific to their needs as well as tons of other services that dont exist, and the youth are losing it because they cant get help from anyone. Its a train wreck and youd have to be incredibly desperate to deal with anything thats going on there right now.
Good working with the kids.
Mulitple Positions Held (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COSeptember 5, 2019
If your heart is into working with troubled youth, then this place is for you. Focus in working/helping the kids and you'll do fine. The kids don't always show it, but they do appreciate what you do for them.
September 16, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. It's great seeing kids grow and succeed
as a direct result of our work.

job summary
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 3, 2019
very high turn over rate and hard to keep track of who is in what position and this then leads to confusion and difficulty doing your job effectively ..
September 16, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We do provide many promotional opportunities and we will look at ways to improve communication of staff promotions to everyone.

Lots of promises and few follow ups
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Marienville, PAAugust 28, 2019
Watch your back and do not trust what the Administration tells you and make sure you have someone cover 6. Too many people have been lied to and charged with made up junk and then fired for make believe garbage so the one’s in charge could keep their jobs after they did terrible things to kids out there. Cameras off
Be prepared to work and have patience the children there need alot of attention and care from the staff to make them safe
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Cañon City, COAugust 22, 2019
If you want to advance your career this is the place to help you get there! I am a teacher but my degree is in mental health so now I am pursuing therapist licence. Their santuary program is very helpful.
September 16, 2019

Thank you for the positive feedback! We offer a variety of career paths and sounds as though you've found the right one for you.

You've gotta to really love troubled youth to even consider.
Therapy practicum intern/Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COAugust 16, 2019
The environment is tremendously stressful. the clientele do not typically engage in the therapeutic process easily. the management team is difficult to work with. the compensation is fair but not adequate for what you be expected to do. They are constantly under-staffed and turn-over is very high!
September 12, 2019

Thank you for feedback. This line of work can be stressful and it requires us to be both tough and compassionate.

Very Stressful
Life Skills Worker II (Former Employee) –  Marienville, PAAugust 14, 2019
Environment is stressful which is expected however it is good to see when the counseling pays off for the youth. However low staffing, and increased hours drain the employee
September 27, 2019

Thank you for your review and for making a difference in the lives of the youth in our care. Working in this field can be stressful.

High turnover in staff and expectations high with little support from management. Clients are my focus and keep me moving through the week.
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Woodridge, ILAugust 12, 2019
Counseling staff really care, but burnout is inevitable. Management is busy filling beds while skeleton staff struggle to serve them. Clients are prioritized by clinical staff, but expectation is high for low pay and benefits. The field is under appreciated, no question.
Pros
Clinical staff are excellent.
Cons
Management is detached from staff needs.
extremly unorganized
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COAugust 10, 2019
I wouldn't recommend anyone working for this company. yes the work is challenging but the management made the job an extremely stressful environment to work in. they consistently threatened to fire me if I didn't work doubles at least three times a week.
August 14, 2019

Thank you for letting us know know about this. Your feedback helps us get better.

Poor communication, too much mandated overtime,
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COAugust 9, 2019
Very poor communication between operations staff and management (supervisors). Unable to practice self care most of the time due to constant mandated overtime. There's not much consistency with where you are going to be working or who you will be working with, or with guidelines for running the treatment program (always changing things). You are allowed a fair amount of paid time off, but it's hard to get it approved when you want to take it and again poor communication with letting you know if it has been approved
August 14, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. We're sorry to hear you had such a frustrating experience, but we really appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention.

Fast paced, unique work place
Treatment Supervisor (Current Employee) –  South Mountain, PAAugust 8, 2019
Working with juveniles comes with a unique set of circumstances. This job will offer you a lot of chances to make a difference in their lives. You must be able to think on your feet and come up with many different solutions to a problem
Pros
Friendly staff, teamwork
Cons
Hours
August 23, 2019

Thank you for your review! This line of work is challenging; never a dull or boring day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Abraxas Youth & Family Services. Our community is ready to answer.