Abuelos Mexican Restaurant Employee Reviews

Management Will Make You Want To Leave
Server (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 16, 2019
Working at Abuelo's was stressful. I worked with the company for a decent amount of time and things weren't this way when I first started.
However, I was constantly reprimanded and walking on egg shells around management. My coworkers and I were scolded for things we weren't taught in training and for simple mistakes.

As there were multiple managers, it was almost impossible to have a good shift where all of them were on the same page and things were going smoothly.

I would not recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Coworkers
Its a fun place to work at and a great place to work at.
Server Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 12, 2019
Bussers are the least respected of the whole place and they are the lowest paid. And if you are a trainee you don't get paid your full wage until you complete the training period.
Pros
Free drinks as much free soda as you want and free lunchs.
Cons
Bussers are paid the lowest even and they are the least respected.
Not worth it unless you need money
cook (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXApril 4, 2019
There is no training, manager can never get the schedule right, if your good then your in charge of everyone in your area like a team leader with no pay raise on top of the the hours are choppy and short
Pros
People
Room to grow
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 3, 2019
With Abuelo's there was always room for advancement. I was promoted from within. There was a flexible schedule. I learned several tools to help advance in other jobs as well. Turnover is always the most difficult part of any job.
Productive Work Place
Cook (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMarch 31, 2019
Abuelos gave me a chance to learn and grow. It is a fast paste moving environment where you have to work as a team. Management is the best, hard work does not go unnoticed. For example i started off as a dishwasher i am now a Cook. I would recommend Abuelos Mexican Restraunt to future employees and customers.

P.S. (Im lookin for a 2nd morning job Im currently still employed at Abuelos)
Horrible place to work
Server Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 25, 2019
It’s like high school all over again with the drama in this place. Unprofessional, full of favoritism, poor management. Expected to do way to much for too little pay. Manager is beyond rude to his employees, doesn’t listen to them if they have any issues, doesn’t try resolving anything, doesn’t care at all unless you get corporate involved. We can’t eat on the clock even if we have nothing to do, because “we should eat before we arrive” but yet he will eat plate after plate of food from the kitchen. Absolutely no breaks. Just an awful environment and very stressful.
Cons
No lunch, no breaks, awful management
Terrible Place to Work for
Hostess (Former Employee) –  League City, TXMarch 8, 2019
I was excited to work as a hostess for Abuelo's, but was told my position was eliminated after I was secured of that position; so I had no choice BUT to train as a server because there was no other open position (my prior training for serving was not good at all, but I had no choice due to financial issues). I wasn't comfortable training to be a server and told my managers that; but they were able to assure me that they would be patient and slow to make me comfortable at it. My first day in training, the managers told me and the group I was going to be training with that we were going to RUSH through the training process. After a few days of not being able to handle it, I consulted with my managers that I really applied to be a hostess and that I didn't apply to be a server for a reason. Thankfully, they were able to switch me to my initial desired position, which was hostessing. After they switched me to that position, they NEVER put me on the schedule for two weeks straight! I had to call multiple times to have it get fixed, they didn't fix it until two weeks! Finally, I went in person to talk to the lead manager, and I waited until closing time. The minute it was closing time, he walked out of the restaurant without acknowledging my presence, and left. I had to wait even longer just to talk to the assistant managers! It was such a horrible experience, I ended up getting behind on my financial responsibilities because of them, and I made SURE that none of my family members were to eat or spend any of their hard earned money there because of how I was treated! I would NOT recommend  more... employment here unless you want to be forgotten about.  less
Grill Cook/Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 28, 2019
Like the job but not enough hours, don't follow availability you put in for job, work is not hard, to many chiefs not enough Indians, people make to many mistakes, that the crew has to deal with
Pros
Cons
Health care
My job is helping out servers get seated and maintain the front area
Greeter (Current Employee) –  League City, TXFebruary 27, 2019
My shift normally starts at 4 and it depends if it’s busy or not on what time I get off , I help the mangers with big party’s , and handling happy or upset customers, my job is to make them happy
Pros
The employees
Cons
Mangers
Great place
Server Assistant/Busser (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXFebruary 25, 2019
It was a really amazing place and the general manager is amazing and really kind and so are the other ones. Just one in particular gave me a hard time on nearly a daily basis but when that person didn't it was a really amazing work place to be apart of.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Manager discipline
Disorganized and Reactionary Management, Room for Growth
Core Shift Leader/ Bartender (Current Employee) –  Hurst, TXFebruary 13, 2019
The management's willful ignorance of the needs and wants of their employees, and lack of leadership or team building leave a fractured staff constantly quabbling amongst themselves instead of focusing on guest service and satisfaction. Despite that, it leaves the door open for those willing to apply themselves and improve their craft and (for servers/bartenders) their income.
Pros
Free meals for shift leads, ability to work in the manner you choose
Cons
No recognition, little leadership
fast paced work with thriving customer relationships
Head Bartender/ Server/ Hostess (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 13, 2019
Great place to work and be able to meet all kinds of people. I was fortune enough to have worked for this company for five years. Management was always pleasing and willing to work with you. They always gave me opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement
Cons
looking for a more a more advanced position
Restaurant
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZFebruary 11, 2019
Great culture of people. Lots of fun. Holidays are off. Free meals for doubles. Always busy. great flexibility. Overall great company to work for but takes years to advance
Not the place to be
Prep cook and line cook (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 7, 2019
All in all, I was excited to start working but once I was hired I realized it is a racially segregated place to work. If you are not Hispanic you will not get the hours or respect you were told you would get during the interview process. I would not recommend anyone to work there.
Great people, great place
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJanuary 15, 2019
Great place to work for team members and managers. Biggest problem with this company is the lack of restaurants in other parts of the country besides Texas, which means promotion opportunities are limited.
Fast paced restaurant
Server (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 11, 2019
abuelos was fun to be a part of! They were always busy and managers were understanding! We all worked as one and kitchen staff helped a lot. Guests here were mostly happy but weekends were hectic!
Pros
Busy and fun
Cons
Didn’t make as much as you deal with
fun place to work.
Server (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 8, 2019
i remember it was nice vibe working in the restaurant, most of the associates were young people with fun conversations and a lot energy helping the work area more enjoyable.

management was always making sure we were doing an excellent job taking care of customers and completing our task on designated areas

cool part was that if you got a compliment from customers they will call you in front of associates and tell you did a great job with the customer, and sometimes they had contest for a chance to win something and one time i won an iPod tablet.
Pros
free lunch sometimes, strong teamwork, fun place to work.
Cons
salary without tip was poor.
Work was fast paced and enjoyable
Server (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 27, 2018
I work for Abuelo's for a couple of years. I enjoyed the work and money because everything was fast paced and we stayed busy. I enjoyed working with my managers as well.
typical waitress job
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXDecember 13, 2018
typical waiting job

good tips

one good manager

good, clean work environment

good staff

good food which brought people back (regulars).

Big restaurant, lots of walking
Pros
Servers assistants (S.A.s)
Cons
morning shifts
Fast paced environment, Fun co-workers, busy holiday season
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXDecember 3, 2018
Working here is a good job. For the most part the coworkers are fun to work with and the managers are best I’ve ever had. You get paid ok but you have to work the weekends if you want a good check. As long as you do your job and act like a team player you will enjoy it.
Pros
Closed thanksgiving& Christmas
Cons
Have to work on most holidays, Annoying customers, certain servers are rude

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Abuelos Mexican Restaurant. Our community is ready to answer.