ACAC Fitness and Wellness Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great place of employment
Fitness Director (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJuly 21, 2018
Nice and easy place to work with lots of fast paced days as well as slow paced days. Great mix of work. I work there full time and I am able to set my schedule as I please.
very simple job not hard to do make sure you like working with people
Outdoor Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 28, 2018
ACAC for a first job was a great working experience especially if you are just looking for a job over the summer. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to swim in the pool whenever I had a break or during adult swim time. The hardest part of the job would be maintaining the pool.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
not the best pay
Productive and fun place to work.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAMarch 26, 2018
Fun place to work, the most enjoyable part of the job was to interact and able to make everyone feel comfortable, and I learned to be more careful with details.
Solid reputable company with great benefits
Lifeguard Team Captain (0 years, 5 months) (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAMarch 18, 2018
Overall a positive atmosphere and a clean and safe environment. Grew a lot with the company, and even gained years of management experience through them.
Outdoor water park/pool
Cafe Attendant (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 19, 2018
On a typical day, I would handle the food/bev orders of around 400 people. At the final ten minutes of the hour, (i.e. 2:50, 3:50, etc.) It was break time in the pool, and a horde of people would gather around the cafe to make their food and beverage requests. So, I quickly learned how to handle multiple orders at once, and how to work on multiple things at once. I also learned sanitation, preparation, patience, and management skills, as I helped train new employees, and oversaw operations when the manager wasn't there.The hardest part of the job was when they would leave me in the cafe by myself, and I took all orders, prepared food, and made all the food for crowds of up to 40 people at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customer interactions, for I interacted with people of all walks of life. Children from the age of four who were learning the basics of transactions, to the mother of six who needed a whole pizza and several other food items. I really learned how to be an independent worker at this job, and how to handle criticism, praise, scold, or congratulations with a smile.
Pros
Free food, customer interaction, pleasant work environment
Cons
Hard to advance position/pay, poor compensation for work efforts.
Acac
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 11, 2018
this place dis good for young people who are just looking for their first job. There is really no advancement here. My boss was okay. Was never really much leadership.
Terrible place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Timonium, MDJanuary 10, 2018
Very difficult to find coverage with few or no breaks during shift. Management was very poor and often had employees how wouldn't show up for their shifts. The customers were always friendly which was my favorite part of the job but over all this was a bad company to work for.
Pros
N/a
Cons
no shift coverage, poor management, few breaks, poor salary
Review
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAOctober 30, 2017
I loved working at ACAC. The environment is great, and I love all of the people I work with. Everyone puts forth a team effort, and the members all agree. It's a fun place to work, and the member are enjoyable to work with.
Pros
Fun, relaxed environment
Cons
Pay
First Job Out of Graduate School
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAOctober 26, 2017
Trained general fitness clients in a one-on-one environment.
Conducted new member orientations, demonstrating effective use of equipment and training techniques.
Nominated for employee of the year (December 2006) after just 5 months.
Nepotistic Environment, subtle racism
Lifeguard Instructor/Swim Instructor/Pool Operator (Current Employee) –  Timonium, MDAugust 30, 2017
The Location's GM is cutthroat and nepotistic, as her daughter was given the position as cafe manager. The daughter's roommate is one of the top Manger's on Duty, who hired her boyfriend as another Manager On Duty. Front desk personnel who got their siter hired, no interview, no hiring or screening process. There are Personal trainers whose son and daughter work there in Aquatics, as well as, a member of care team's whose grandson was given a job. These people are generally given room for advancement and room for more compensation. A favorite membership Associates boyfriend works on the P.R.E.P. side as an fitness aide. Last but not least the Aquatic Director's Husband was given the contract to do the current renovations to the new studios. Talk about kickbacks.
Pros
Gym Membership
Cons
Nest of Nepotism
Awesome Place to work for
NCCPT Certified Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VAAugust 20, 2017
They give you all the tools and education to succeed, all you have to do is supply the work ethic. Management is constantly changing the scope of customer service and they do a great job of keeping the team up to date with this information.
good in between job
Member Services Manager/ Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Short Pump, VAAugust 7, 2017
ACAC is a great job to have while going through school. It is not something I would recommend in being a permanent position. The atmosphere is extremely laid back and the head of HR has her hands in everything. To me HR is in the back of the scenes and pitches in when necessary. Not the case in my experience.
Good place
Lead Afterschool Counselor (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 20, 2017
It was a good place to work. Lots of fun. Definitely recommend to any students who are home for the summer. Management was amazing and friendly. Working with the kids was great.
great place to work
Backroom Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 17, 2017
I truly enjoyed working here. My boss at the time was AWESOME. You have a free membership working here and everything is open for you to use. The instructors to the classes were great.
Rewarding and Fun place to work
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAJanuary 30, 2017
Great place to work! If you love working with kids or teens ACAC is a great place for you. They have a beautiful area with a great swim park, craft rooms, gaga courts, tennis courts, soccer fields, and even a climbing wall.
Great coworkers and work environment.
Physician Referred Exercise Program (PREP) (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 6, 2017
Enjoy working with people who value an active and healthy lifestyle. Don't have to sit at a desk all day. Get to help and teach people about all aspects of a healthy lifestyle.
Great Atmosphere
Cafe Employee (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAJanuary 4, 2017
My typical work day at ACAC is always filled with joy. I enjoy chatting with the members that workout there and creating a great relationship with the rest of the team. I thoroughly enjoy working with my co-workers and the management has been great thus far.
Very Productive Company
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 19, 2016
great staff and team members, wonderful environment to work at. I've learned a great deal of patience as well as initiative working at this job
Fun and great place and people to work with
Youh Programs Coodinator (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VAFebruary 24, 2016
Flexible hours and great environment to work. The people who work here are great and the members are such a joy. It's great to go to work and see smiling faces and be able to have fun.
Fun & Lively Place to work at with many positions
Fitness Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PANovember 3, 2015
Friendly and positive place to work at. The Staff goes out of their way to get to know and help club members with needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with fellow employees and using the fitness center allowing to meet people. However, different departments were short staffed often and did not allow breaks.
Pros
Free club membership, Free birthday Smoothie
Cons
Short staff, and Breaks