Academies of Math and Science Employee Reviews

It's always politics
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 6, 2018
Work culture is not great. Long hours. No admin support. The list goes on. Children behavior is the worst I've ever seen in a school system and no clean discipline plan so it's getting worse over time. The kids no there is no consequence.
Great place to work!
Educator/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 13, 2018
Academy of Math & Science is a great place to work! Everyone is so positive, always looking for ways to get better, and administration is extremely supportive of faculty. Our students are eager to learn and parents are very supportive and involved in their children's education. AMS provides incredible professional development opportunities and gives you the opportunity to grow and better your craft as an educator. Everything is a team effort where ALL opinions and ideas are valued. It is a positive, enriching work environment. I HIGHLY recommend working here.
Pros
Great support, great faculty, great administration
September 14, 2018

Thanks so much for your review; we're so glad you enjoy AMS so much! We take pride in providing an excellent program for students as well as a supportive work environment for teachers and staff.

Productive place to work
Mathematics Teacher (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 13, 2018
Working at AMS has been a wonderful experience. Administration is extremely supportive in everything that we need. Staff and teachers are very helpful and very friendly.
Cons
Busy days
September 14, 2018

Thank you for your review! We're grateful for our dedicated teachers, staff, and administrators who are always eager to help coworkers as well as students.

Work Hard, Inspire Students, For The Arts
Full Time Teacher (Current Employee) –  Math and Science Success AcademySeptember 13, 2018
The work ethic and culture of the school is all about high achievement for teachers and students.

Teachers must also make sure they are very aware of different student learning levels within the class, and strive to inspire with relative materials that tie into data received and tested on Quarterly benchmarks, AZ Merit, NWEA, Dibels, OpenCore, and Saxon Math, etc.

The school also offers a unique liberal education of Specials/Arts classes during the week which include: Foreign Language (Russian, Mandarin), Music (Piano, Guitar, General Music), Art, Physical Education, and Technology/Computers.

The school also offers basketball, softball, volleyball, track and field, dance/folklorico, and other clubs after school for all grade levels.
workplace culture
Educator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 13, 2018
unfortunately, administration will pick and choose who they would like to criticize and target with negativity. Not giving any pointers on improving skills as a teacher and expecting new teachers to be at the same skill set level as 10 year veteran teachers. Very little gidance or training. Making any minor mistake can cost you your job, and please don't give your opinion on matters that administration doesn't agree with.
Pros
great kids and new campus
Cons
short breaks, over worked, underpaid
Great staff and families to work with
Kindergarten teacher (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 21, 2018
I enjoy working with the staff and families. The students are eager and excited to learn. The staff is fun and gets along well. The parents are very supportive.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
lots of last minute decisions, too much testing
March 27, 2018

Thank you for your feedback! We really do have incredible staff, parents, and students alike. :)

Not a good place to work
3rd Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 1, 2017
This was a toxic environment for teachers and students alike in so many ways. There is no library, the playgrounds are too small to accommodate the amount of students, and the staff was very unprofessional on many occasions.
Good staff, good students
Middle School Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 23, 2017
Five classes a day teaching primarily science with one class of math. Faculty was excellent and very helpful to me. Principal Lomeland is a good and fair administrator, her support staff was excellent too. The students were as cooperative as most all middle school school are to be expected. The most difficult part of the job was being brought up to speed because I joined the school several weeks after the year began and missed the most important part of my becoming part of the school which was the new teacher orientation held for one week in early July, I joined the school on August 15. School started about the 28th of July. The best part of any teaching job is the relationships you build with your students. i miss them even today.
Pros
Staff, students
Cons
It took a while to get the hang of the school since I joined late.
Teacher turnover high because Phoenix Administration is worthless.
Math and Science long-term sub (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 21, 2017
Kids are 2 to 3 years behind in math and science. No funds spent on math or science resources. Public schools in area are so bad that by comparison AMS looks good. Very sad situation.
Cons
Very bad kids and no support from administration.
Excellent support, great coworkers
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 5, 2017
The members of the administration here are very supportive of staff and always have excellent advice for any issue I may be facing. It is a fun work environment, and my coworkers are very enjoyable to be around. Students are a great bunch as well. I find working here quite challenging, but in a way that has helped me to learn a lot about myself and about teaching.
Pros
Good support, great people
Fun and Supportive
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 5, 2017
I have to say that I love working for this school! The culture here is so amazing. I've never worked for a company where I felt like I was truly valued by them and that I was a part of a family. As in all companies, there's always someone that may not like you, but there's so much love at this school, that it doesn't matter. I feel supported in all of my endeavors as a teacher and if I'm struggling in certain areas, I'm not afraid to ask for help. As far as families and students, these are the best! This school is full of families and it's amazing! It's an amazing network and it's beautiful to get to see the students grow as well as their siblings throughout the year. The curriculum is paced well and the administration is extremely supportive, respectful and well-rounded. This is my first year teaching and I think I may have gotten a pretty great deal with this school! The principal and dean of students are amazing and they make this school complete!
Pros
Culture, Families, Competitive Pay, Advanced Curriculum
Cons
Long Hours
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 5, 2017
Math and Science Success Academy is a great place to work. As a teacher you have a lot of responsibilities and it is nice that you can find support from your fellow teachers and administration. The staff is friendly, supportive, and helpful. We work together as a team to help make the school a better place and always strive for the best.

Another great thing about the school are the students and their parents. Our school does not provide transportation, so parents are responsible for getting their children to and from school on time. This means that you have more of a chance as a teacher to see parents/family members daily, which helps with communication.
I have really good administrators here. Families give support.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  South Tucson, AZMay 4, 2017
As a teacher you need to know that your administrative team has your back. Both my principal and my dean of students exude "teacher-ness" if that's actually a word. I read in a book years ago that the principal is supposed to be the head teacher. That is the situation we have. It's like at McDonald's; a good manager knows how to make the french fries.

I also like the fact that I have numerous opportunities to communicate with parents on a regular basis. Things like Class Dojo and daily written agendas are good ,but aren't the same as face to face discussions. Parents are on campus often and inquisitive about how to best help their kiddos.
Great families but long days
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 4, 2017
I love the families and students that I work with here. I think the environment created by the staff and families makes it a nice place to work. Administration has been supportive of some family issues I have had in the past. Communication is a big issue as we are often told last minute of things but that has been improving. The days are long as I am at school from 7:30-4 everyday. The students are here from 7:50-3:45. I really enjoy the community of the school.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Long days
A good place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 4, 2017
What makes AMS a great place to work is my co-workers. The staff and faculty have always been friendly and knowledgeable. The Academies does demand a lot from their people but the pay reflects those demands.
My Work Family
1st Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  MASSAMay 4, 2017
MASSA is really a giant family. We all look out for each other and really try to function as a team. The admin staff has our backs and looks for opportunities to thank and recognize us often.
Great workplace
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 4, 2017
The Academies of Math and Science are a great place to work. I have worked for the company for 5 years and am very happy here. My fellow staff feel more like family than co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to work with some amazing kids. We service the low-income demographic which gives us the opportunity to work with kids who come from some rough situations. It is an honor to be able to help those students feel successful and give them the tools they need to be successful at life. It can feel a little overwhelming at times, but the management are behind you 100%. I would highly recommend working here.
Dedicated to Academic Success
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Math and Science Success AcademyMay 4, 2017
Education is one of the most rewarding jobs a person can have. When you work for a school that cares so much for the students and staff it makes it very easy to go to work everyday. The hard work and dedication by the staff, parents, admin and students reflects on the vision and continued progress to be the best we can be. Our children deserve to have everyone around them working diligently so they are ensured a bright, and academically sound future. Thank you to all who make this possible on a daily basis at our Tucson and Phoenix schools.
Pros
dedicated staff, strong leaders, teacher support, after school tutoring and homework help
good school but overworked teachers
teacher (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 24, 2017
This school has some very good and qualified teachers. But there are also a few teachers who are unprofessional and need to to a short review of teaching techniques. We are worked very hard, but if you love to work hard, this is your job.
March 28, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are very appreciative of our teachers who work hard to provide our students with a great education, as the well-being of the students is our top priority.

Great employees who are passionate and support each other
Marketing and Recruitment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 29, 2016
I work at the business office and have only good things to say about the work environment and employees. Everyone works hard and enjoys what they are doing because they believe in the network's mission. Coworkers are always willing to help and work together on various projects. The network is consistently growing and adding new positions, providing opportunities for current employees to be promoted. The COO is the direct supervisor for most business office employees, and is willing to let you get involved with aspects of the business that most interest you. He doesn't micromanage and is interested in hearing your ideas on how to best do your job. Overall, this is a great company where you can build a variety of skills and have fun doing it!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academies of Math and Science. Our community is ready to answer.

Academies of Math and Science Reviews by Location