Academy Bank Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
A company that gets distracted
Associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 8, 2018
The company sends good focus on core values, however, ignores the need of better management. The company displays effort to maintain good work\home balance but struggles to staff employees to cover the work load, which in turn requires not family friendly work hours. Not a bad company, just a company that gets distracted.
Pros
Beautiful building
Cons
Lots of traffic
great job
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KS 66109August 6, 2018
It's was a great opportunity, just not enough pay. They run on goals and commission. After taxes are taken out when you get payed for commission your check come out to be not worth all the hard effort.
Productive, great learning enviroment
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 1, 2018
Work days can get very busy at the bank. I learned a lot while working at the bank. Learning to navigate through the system was a great experience. Laid back environment. Keeping your drawer balanced is a must. I enjoyed opening accounts.
Pros
Incentives were great! We could earn anything from a a credit card to a bonus for District Manger
Cons
Breaks wer short 30min
Pretty relaxed
Assistant Banking Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 1, 2018
Pretty relaxed but sometimes stressful and more high pressure. Locations are not ideal, as they are in Walmart. Training could be better to produce more well-rounded employees from the start.
Worked like a Dog 🐕
Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COJune 11, 2018
When I was promoted to branch manager I was extremely excited to get my salary until I realized I would be working more than 60 hours a week with no help from upper management, the pay is so poor that turnover leads branches to have very little staff and management feels everyone is replaceable.
A small bank branch inside a Walmart.
Assistant Branch Manager/Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COMay 20, 2018
Academy Bank is a second chance bank, providing vital financial services to clients who may not be able to bank anywhere else. A typical day would usually start around 8:00AM, and would normally conclude around 7:15PM. Long hours, staggered days off, and pressure to open accounts and sell financial services were the hardest parts of being a personal banker. However, dealing with the public was the most enjoyable part of the work day. The client base was lively and always spruced things up. Plus, there is a feeling of genuine fulfillment when one helps a customer turn their negative financial situation into a positive one. Overall, the culture at the various branches was lively, friendly, and collaborative. I'm very grateful to have had this position, as it was a wonderful start into the world of providing financial services.
Pros
Sales bonuses & free financial services
Cons
Long hours.
Straight forward but challenging
Banking Center Manager (Current Employee) –  KansasMay 7, 2018
Academy wants to be a household name. It takes hard work and even more determination to be successful here. The ladder is a short climb, and the turnover is high, due to pretty high sales requirements. don't let that deter you though. It is a great place to work and learn the banking industry.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long hours/ no personal life.
Awful
Assistant Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Kirkwood, MOApril 26, 2018
A great stepping stone into the industry and nothing more. Just an endless game of opening and closing checking accounts. No real incentives. Run as fast as you can.
Its a good place to work if its aTemporary Job
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  St. Joseph, MOApril 16, 2018
When I worked there it was fine because I also was going to school. They gave the opportunity to do that. It was very competitive. It they care about was to sell, sell & sell products to customers even if they didn't need it. You had keep asking until they customer finally gave in. It wasn't about the customer it was more of making a sale no matter what. They don't care how good of an employee you are. All they care about is that you meet and exceed the goals set by the company. The pay was not the greatest. I do have to say that THE MANAGERS Were amazing! Nothing bad to say about them.
The regional manager was not! if you didn't make the sale or met the goal, you were put down by the RM. The RM would make you feel inferior and unworthy instead of motivating you and giving you tips to become a better at selling products. If you made the sale you were on his good side and on his favorites' list.
Ok
Personal Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 18, 2018
Good job must be able to deal with down time days go by slow hard to push accounts on people who don't need them other than that's it's a fun work experience
Excellent caring place to work
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Blue Springs, MOFebruary 4, 2018
A typical day involves a lot of marketing out front between customers, handling transactions and learning new things daily. This is a good company to work for.
stressful
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COFebruary 1, 2018
I learned about finances. I helped people with deposits and withdrawals, make loan payments and safe deposit box rentals. I enjoyed this job. and I learned a lot.
Good Place to work for anyone new to banking or sales
Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Pueblo West, COFebruary 1, 2018
Very sales driven organization. This is not a place to work for those who are not good at sales. They are very competitive and have high sales expectations. They are good at keeping things fun and fresh and give you the freedom to be creative.
Pros
Fun and fast paced, ability to be creative
Cons
Long hours, split days off, high turn over
Pay
Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Evergreen, COJanuary 30, 2018
Academy Bank offers low pay for management. Their rates are unfair for all the work that it's to be done on a daily basis. Cut throw sales environment.
big focus on sales, daily marketing
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 29, 2018
I love my coworkers and customers, but I have decided to look for other opportunities since advancement within the company is limited. Unless, you are willing to relocate. Also, I wish more training would be provided.
Pros
Can be laid back when goals are met
Cons
Schedules and shift coverage isn’t always the best
Academy bank
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 12, 2018
long hours Monday through Sunday and the pay is terrible, no room for advancement, no time off. I very rarley had time to spend with family, I opened up a lot of accounts for this company and it still was not good enough.
Pros
good experience
Cons
pay sucks
Poor Communication
Banking Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 12, 2018
The branches are scattered all over the nation, however, more towards the Kansas, Texas area. The remaining branches were operating blindly a lot of the time. We didn't have consistent information between our operations and sales managers. Customer care always misdirected the customers on any inquiries they may have had, including irate customers. We should be able to work together as a team to help meet all aspects of the company, however, we spent too much time being divided, pushed away, or not tolerated to make the vision work as a whole. Our customers see Academy Bank branches, and Academy Bank customer care as though we are two separate companies, overall they preferred the branches. Compensation was not enough, as they company is one of the most take all I can jobs I have ever worked for. You will not have time to spend or have a life outside of work. If you have a family it's horrible, otherwise this job may be beneficial for you. I believed in their vision, however, after 6+ years of working with the company I have experienced let down after let down.
Pros
supporting branches in my region
Cons
Cooperate lack of concern for employees
Do NOT work at academy
Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Greeley, CODecember 20, 2017
This is an absolutely horrible place to work, I was a former BCM and I can honestly tell you do not work for Academy Bank The upper management is a complete joke. If you are not buddy buddy with the upper management you are always going to be a target my team was in the top 10% for sales and the top 5% for ops and we were always getting ridiculed for one thing or the next. The work life balanced is horrible I was constantly requires to work 7:45am-7:15pm with no extra pay due to my salary if you want a place of employment that allows you to spend any time with your family this is NOT the place for you. I would strongly recommend never taking a position with the bank.
Pros
Absolutely nothing
Cons
Management, Work life balance, Culture, Etc
Poor Management
ASSISTANT BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Pueblo West, CODecember 18, 2017
I would never work their again they underpay and they are not able to keep people working for them. I do have to say they do take the time to train there employees
very relaxed enviorment
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZDecember 17, 2017
very slow paced work, learned the basics about banking. how to help consumers get the right checking account. Hardest thing about the job is actually opening accounts since it's inside of a Walmart. The most enjoyable part is building relationships with the customers.