Academy Fire

Academy Fire Employee Reviews

United States25 reviews
Academy has great people however the management and culture are not very good. They do not pay their vendors or subcontractors on time and have a poor industry reputation. The CEO is a great person and is approachable. The immediate executive team provides a terrible culture and many people have left because of this. They do not pay their people very well unless you are at the top 1% at this company. They have been bought and sold many times and are owned by an equity group. There is a very high turnover here and until they address the people at the top surrounding the CEO I am confident that will not change.
I enjoyed working there. Staff was great and it was a fun environment. Great place to learn new skills. lunch provided at the last day of the month. health bnenefits
At AFP you have to find your sense of work ethic and style to become successful and have work done accordingly. If you get to overwhelm or over think, you can potential sink. It does have high demands on metrics and client SLA. As long you are honest and work at your full expectations, you can succeed. Academy Fire is a family job, coworkers become siblings and manager become cousins. Recognition and appreciate is shown at this job. Opportunities are given as long you show you want it.
They bleed you and no appreciation. Will swtich your job function so you dont complain about bad managers. No work life balance. Did not enjoy working there
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
this place is a joke. They fire and hire people like it’s nothing. Training is all over the place. Everyone’s rude and you have to pay for parking everyday or get a $200 pass every month to not get tickets.
They say they will pay you back if you make a year working there but they don’t.
Overall the company was a great company to work with and provided limited opportunities for growth. Within 3 years I was promoted more than twice and was ready for a management position. Management positions are held to higher standards and regardless of the work, productivity and ethic you provide, your promotion will only come if it’s deemed necessary for the benefit of the company. Hard work is recognized to a certain extent.
Underpaid and underminded are the only 2 words to start describing working for this place. All I wanted to do was make a career and move up in the company but all I was told were lies of advancing in salary and positions.
Pros
Sometimes had free lunches.
Cons
Horrible Management.
There is no room for growth, the company is in competition with itself and doesn't value its employees. They throw constant work at you but don't compensate or give incentive. Overall great to get the experience on your resume but don't count on it being a career.
Honestly a great company. Everyone is really nice. You feel like your working with family and friends. As long as you come to work on time and complete your work assignments, there really isn't anything to complain about.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Academy Fire?
I have been with the company for 3 years. Very fast paced, By no means boring, the day fly's by. Management and co-workers are supportive.
There is opportunity to advance. Pay is comparable to other multi-facility management companies. I started as a dispatcher with no prior experience and now I am the Sr. Account Rep for several large customers. .

Location close to transportation.. Company offers OT, medical, PTO.
Great interaction and cooperation within company culture. Company moved to a larger location and were able to provide us with a kitchen/dining area. Sensitive to needs of employees with regard to emergency time off, assistance.
Pros
New office, kitchen, 1 hour lunch, flex hrs where necessary
Cons
End of month very hectic. Parking difficulties, AC and Heat not always working properly
I did not care for the supervisor there. They had no type of training system. It was a sink or swim type of environment. A lot of putting people on blast. The supervisors would tell your personal business to people and talk about others in the office.
Pros
work from home
Cons
supervisors would talk behind your back to everyone.
A typical day at Academy is busy. There is no room for a lazy employee. Employees are expected to be on time and ready to work at 8am. Afterhours are required. You would be responsible to answer phones from home for one week.
Pros
Learn a lot about fire protection
Cons
company is a little too customer friendly and not enough employee friendly.
- Very busy, quick paced position
- Need to multitask and master time management

- Management isn't great .. AT ALL

- Opportunity to travel and meet clients

- Writing skills are a must
Great environment, Great management, HR is awesome. Paid vacation after a year. Sick and personal time after 90 days. Training is very detailed. You get to travel with the company.
Pros
Free lunch, Free Training. paid vacation, sick and personal days.
Cons
AC never works correctly in the office.
The manager is amazing and I appreciate the opportunity and experience. This position is why I am in school getting my BA in Accounting. Great pay and benefits. Flexible corporation as well.
Enjoyed my time working for Academy, I just found myself stuck in one position for too long which was expected being that this is a mom and pop shop.
Pros
1hour lunch breaks
Cons
Job location is surrounded by factories
A typical day at Academy Fire Protection will consist of a lot pf repetitive work which consist of non-stop phone calls, following up and data entry. Academy has a lot to offer however, do not expect to be paid much to begin with.
The hardest part of this job is multitasking all of the commitments with minimal help. This company is rapidly expanding and, if able to acquire employees at a faster rate, is a great company to work for.
This place was an excellent work environment with great co workers.The managers were always helpful and cared about their employees. I really felt comfortable and appreciated.
Pros
Appreciated work place
Cons
needs better compensation rates
Meh...a lot of office politics, that's for sure. I stayed in my own little corner honestly and I think that's why I didn't last there. I didn't make friends and I wasn't trying to.

If you need something to hold you over whilst looking for a real job or you're ok with being a dispatcher/telemarketer, I say go for it. It's not a bad job. Just not something that I personally would want to have done for a long time. (it's pretty boring, too.)
Cons
boring, VERY low pay