Academy Mortgage Employee Reviews in Sandy, UT

I enjoy working here to a point
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTJuly 31, 2018
It fast paced and has its ups and downs. There are a lot of career opportunities here. Good benefits, decent pay. I cant complain too munch. On a scale of 1-10 of my personal experience so far, I would say 4.
A company that cares about people not just the employees
General Servicing (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTOctober 6, 2017
One of my favorite characteristics of Academy Mortgage is their compassion. They do numerous outreaches and genuinely care about their employees well being. The culture here is family oriented. All of the team members love and treat each other with respect and kindness. The managers here do their best to also show that love and compassion. It is a very high paced environment where multi-tasking daily is a must. Working in the Mortgage Industry is great because it is always changing so there is so much room for learning new laws and processes. If I felt there was room to grow financially and career wise, I would never leave. The company really is that wonderful.
Good family owned company
Credit Policy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTJanuary 18, 2017
Academy Mortgage is a very good family owned company. They are loyal to their employees and staff. They strived to make sure that everyone was achieving their full potential.
Good place to work for!
Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTNovember 30, 2016
Love the culture and work environment at Academy. People are nice and you have a great experience working for them. Regular 8 to 5 business hours. Great coworkers. Not under a lot of pressure most of them time.
Pros
Good culture, Easy going
Cons
Little to no Compensations, Does not pay enough
Great place but not stable for employment
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTJuly 6, 2016
I really enjoyed Academy Mortgage's culture and respect for their people in general. I was amazed by how many people were fired or removed to serve in lesser jobs without any kind of career counseling. I thought it was in error until it happened to a friend of mine who was pulled into her manager's office one morning and told she didn't fit the team anymore and so after six YEARS of employment, she was fired with two weeks notice.
Pros
Work/Life balance is amazingly good!
Cons
Lack of respect for career counseling.
A place to set your roots down and grow.
Mortgage Originator (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTMarch 15, 2016
I learned a lot about the mortgage business during difficult times. I learned my passion for marketing. IF you love being in the service of others this is the place for you.
OK place to work
HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTFebruary 18, 2016
I didn't work here long enough to really form an opinion of the place. There were some really great people and others weren't so great. The loan officers were always friendly and helpful.
Good company.
Funding (Current Employee) –  Sandy UtahSeptember 15, 2015
Good company, would like more opportuity to advance. I am willing to learn!! I am always willing to work hard and learn more.
Pros
Great company, I would like to advance.
Cons
Lot's of day to day stress, would like more traning.
Professional family oriented awesome job
Senior VDI Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTAugust 21, 2015
Working for Academy Infrastructure is one awesome job. I started working for Academy in November 2012. Academy is all about personal growth, setting personal quarterly goals, business improvements, doing the right thing and making sure your family is important.

An average day starts at 8AM and ends at 5PM. Management is trying hard to make sure that you spend enough time with your loved ones instead of working late. Working from home is an option.

Academy is really watching out for you and making sure that you are happy. Great company to work for.
Terrible Job Work/Life Balance
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTApril 13, 2015
The amount of hours I had to work and the workload was intolerable. There was absolutely no work/life balance. Not a company I would want to ever go back to.
Great people company
HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTApril 9, 2015
Great company at getting to know people personally. Make you feel welcome. Very organized, but not good at taking suggestions for improvement.
Pros
Great people and parties
Cons
Complaints and suggestions go ignored
Somewhat positive environment, hierachy, little recognition for hard work
receiving specialist, final docs specialist (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTDecember 8, 2013
Academy has been somewhat a positive experience for me, but i've recently realized that they care more about how many numbers you pump out, rather than how hard you're working and how you're just doing your job. The environment became negative for me, and I just generally became turned off.

Company, at least at corporate, has a strong hierarchal environment where the "little guys", like post closing in general, got no recognition. It's all about the loan officers and how many numbers they're getting out on paper. People higher up on the food chain don't seem to care about the accomplishments of those "lower" down.

I've met some good people, and my mail job I had let me roam the office, but I didn't have a whole lot of positive experiences when I came to final docs.

I'll be leaving Academy soon, and am grateful for it.
Pros
Nice managers, lots of nice employees, christmas parties
Cons
Little to no recognition, no care for how hard you work, hierarchy
Good stepping stone, but short-term.
IT employee (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTNovember 8, 2013
I was headhunted to join the IT team. We had a lot of work to do. There were literally no company policies for even the most simplest and compliance-required practices. No password policy, information, computer use, etc. In the 6 months I was there, we created policies, performed internal assessments, implemented security controls, etc.
Good company, but very knee-jerk reactive to changes in economy. When interest rates went up .5%, 40 people were laid-off. The newly made security team was reduced to 2 people. Definitely a family-run company, but it you're not one of the good-old-boys, be nervous. They just recently cut 40 more people due to interest rates rising again. I was let go during their best month in their 25 year history (sold the most mortgages ever). They do claim to do what's best for your family, but I'm not sure. I bought my house through them and was laid-off literally 2 weeks after post-closing was processed.
Pros
Fun company parties
Cons
short-term, knee-jerk reactive, unstable employment.
Flexible and Friendly Workplace, Management Could Improve
Centralized Disclosures Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTSeptember 17, 2013
My department was a particularly dramatic one, but everyone else in the company is welcoming and fun. The atmosphere around the office is relaxed, helpful, and productive.
Management is spotty and unpredictable. Unforeseen lay-offs make for bad job security.
Productive, stressful at times.
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Sandy. UTSeptember 3, 2013
A typical day at work for me was separating loans to my teammates, and working the pipeline. I have come to learn a lot of the mortgage industry. Post Closing was my department. Investors were broken down into teams to even out the work load. I had more of the physical files that were prepared and shipped to the investor for purchase on a loan. Management was good. If you could find your manage (gone at meetings). Typical office, gossip here and there, but good people. Learning new programs (investors) was the hardest part. Only because nobody knew them so it was take it and run with it best of your knowledge. I really enjoyed the fact that the company is family based.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Time management on shipping a loan.
A growing company with room to mature
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTFebruary 5, 2013
A growing company with room to mature, Academy Mortgage is suffering from incumbency while attempting to dominate a stuttering market. While succeeding against competition by growing at a record pace, the employee base is overworked, understaffed, underappreciated, and depressed.
Pros
profitable and growing
Cons
below-average benefits, immature culture
Ok company to work for
Employee (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTAugust 27, 2012
Small company that has grown fast to a large company. Typical day at work can be fast paced or slow. Day to day work is good. Company has a lot of nepitism. Hire more outside then promoting from within. Hardest part of the job is not being recognized for great individual accomplishments and suggestions by upper management. Watching he company grow and assisting with process advancements has been enjoyable.
Pros
a lot of paid holidays
Cons
low advancement opportunity