Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews

Found 3,658 reviews matching the search See all 3,677 reviews
Productive and Fun work place
Greeter (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXSeptember 22, 2018
Loved all my co-workers everyone was very nice and happy to have their jobs! My bosses were fair, but also respectful at the same time. No nepotism or favoritism whatsoever.
Great environment, it makes you feel like a second family
Firearms Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXSeptember 21, 2018
I got a sense of being part of the group from the beginning. Other employees help you learn, management pushes you to train, and at least in my case you never felt like you had to promote sales to stay. If you had a rough week at school you could take it slow and maybe it would be noticed but managers would talk to you before reprimanding you. Also, if you felt like growing, putting the extra effort would always be noticed. A lot of times, hard work would be recognized by more than one supervisor.
Pros
Discount, Environment, Sense of Belonging, Everyone Helps Each Other
Cons
Short Breaks, Slow Pay Raises
Blah
STORE OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Several storesSeptember 21, 2018
Working for this company as a Salaried member of management isn't the worst job I've ever had. The culture is very much based on the store, and the store director. If you've got a terrible store director in a even more terrible town, its a recipe for a whole lot of unnecessary stress. The work life balance is god awful, and the compensation is low for the level of expectation, and that is for all retail store positions in this company.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Too many to list
Overview
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  1604 NW Military San Antonio TXSeptember 21, 2018
The management was terrible. They care more about the sales rather than the employees. They consistently yell at me and others for simple mistakes. And rather make the customer happy even though the customer is wrong. Never going to work there again.
Pros
Discount is good
Cons
Horrible work enviornment
Very nice place to work.
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXSeptember 21, 2018
Academy was a fun experience for me, I learned a lot and got a lot of customer interaction. As a customer service representative, I enjoyed helping the customers with their problems (i.e. broken equipment, wrong size returns)
Pros
Fun place, good people, flexible hours.
Cons
Management, micromanagement.
Place of work is a fast-paced environment and poor management.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, LASeptember 19, 2018
The hardest part is not knowing everything to do in situations because of poor training. A lot of the managers don't make sure you are up to par with the way they like things done.
Neutral Retail Job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LASeptember 18, 2018
This is the average retail job. The hours fluctuate due to time of year e.g. christmas (lots of hours). The hardest part is dealing with management and customers.
Pros
Occasional free meal
Really exciting place to work
CASHIER LEAD (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSSeptember 17, 2018
I enjoy working at Academy Sports and Outdoors. It is a great company as a whole and the employees make the work environment more fun! I would recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
Vacation Time and Paid sick time
Cons
No overtime
Not a good company to work for
SOFTLINES SENIOR TEAMLEAD (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 17, 2018
I have worked there over 10 years. When I started there it was a great very company. Management was good. Now the management staff is horrible. The benefits are horrible. The employment turn around is extremely horrible
Fun work place
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cool springs TNSeptember 17, 2018
Needs better Management , I’ve learned that nobody where you work there will always be drama every where you go. The most enjoyable part of my job is thinking positive.
Asset Protection Associate (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXSeptember 16, 2018
I would stand at the door and greet customers as they came into the store
Guest that had guns I escorted them to the back of the store to the gun section
Easy but stressful at times
Outdoor Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  Midwest City, OKSeptember 15, 2018
It is a slow paced but sometimes stressful job, The management is average for a local retail store it could be better, the workplace and culture is very competitive, the hardest part of the job would be the lack of team members who you work with, and the most enjoyable part of working at academy is the team members, they are very respectful and considerate.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Sometimes i do not get a break
A well work place
Supervisor of Footwear (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXSeptember 15, 2018
Good atmosphere to work in. Great team. Overall good place to build yourself up. I enjoy my time when I’m at work. Our team is really hard working. The management really works with you.
sporty and exciting
Freight Team/Apparel Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 14, 2018
laid back, fun, competitive pay. staff friendly and fun. flexiable hours, paid time off and vacation days earned easily. managers always helpful in assisting staff .
Pros
break room
Cons
short breaks
Not a bad retail job
Cashier Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GASeptember 14, 2018
I first liked Academy back when I had great managers. Then, when positions changed, management became worse and worse and I disliked working more and more every day. I realized I no longer wanted to work with Academy when a manager hired an old coworker of hers for a position I had been working for six months. Management began to give me work that was not meant for me and I did not like being taken advantage of. Other than that, advancement opportunities were high.
Pros
strong advancement opportunities
Cons
poor management
Terrible place to work, management is terrible
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 13, 2018
Hired as pt receiver, got full time immediately without my consent. Rat infestation makes for a poor work environment. Basically every box touched in the back had droppings on it.
You get no breaks except for a mandatory 1 hour lunch. They have way too many managers that dont seem to do anything different than the others. Nobody answers the phones when you need to call in and it's impossible to reach a manager.
You will do alot more things than the job you specifically applied for.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, work more areas than hired for
Island Time = Lazy, rude, hostile work environment
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 13, 2018
Location of a retail store should have nothing to do with how a store is managed, how customers are treated, or how non-compliant staff is allowed to be. Some stores take on a mindset that due to the geography of the store they are exempt from adhearing to corporate structure and policy. Do yourself a huge favor and shop the environment of the store before you go to work there. Walk through the aisles and observe the cleanliness. If the store looks like it’s going out of business, it’s likely staff is too lazy to replenish out of stocks. If your used to a retailer with strict operational standards, a clean, organized and visually appealing store, do your homework and investigate. These standards are a direct reflection of the type of people you will be working with. Stand in the aisles and listen to the staffs conversations, if they don’t care about customers they won’t care who overhears them, unprofessional and sloppy.
Pros
Discount on clearance
Cons
Rude, aggressive, hostile, lazy, sloppy, unprofessional, combative, militant employees.
Hunting associate
Hunting Associate (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALSeptember 13, 2018
Not a bad place to work during college. Management was all that bad. Work was quick paced some of the times. Enjoyed the discounts but pay is min wage so not ideal for living and expenses.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay
Malicious Culture
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYSeptember 13, 2018
The management is abusive and dishonest. There's a good reason why this store has such a high turnover rate. If you like working for incompetent people, you'll love working at this store.
Pros
The products and the prices
Cons
Abusive, incompetent management
Company sold it's soul
H/F associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Perfect example of what happens to a company that has been bought out by an investment consortium. It's all about the Benjamins! The corporate motto was reiterated daily at management meetings, labor rate, labor rate, labor rate! Nothing else mattered but ROI.
Pros
None!
Cons
Low wage rate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy Sports + Outdoors. Our community is ready to answer.

41.2K

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight