Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews

Found 3,843 reviews matching the search See all 3,863 reviews
Productive and fun work place
Receiver Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, GAJanuary 18, 2019
Academy is a fun relaxed place to work their pay is just not so great and you get sent home early almost everyday . The management goes off of he say she say instead in situations
Productive and co-workers are good
Seasonal Employee (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 17, 2019
I love working for Academy sports + outdoors because it is a very friendly environment and there is always something to keep you busy. In my opinion they are the best sporting store to go to.
Pros
Friendly environment, busy
Cons
A productive work place and an easy environment
Asset Protection Associate (Current Employee) –  Newnan, GAJanuary 17, 2019
It’s a fairly easy going place to work though those who do not work or slack around and dealt with properly. Most of the managers are easy to work with and are really good at communicating with employees
Poor management and poor corporate handling
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJanuary 17, 2019
The management doesn’t handle no complaints right between employees, when calling corporate to handle things nothing was done either.. they put people in lead positions who do poorly and when management leaves do whatever they want even when manager says what to do before leaving.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Managers don’t listen to complaints they mess around all day
Good Place to Start off
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXJanuary 17, 2019
Good place to start off, not a lot of promotion going on, i still have a friend working there and she still works apparel and is not assistant manager or at least in charge of a section after 4 years of working there.
Pros
Employee Discount of 5% off
Cons
No opportunity to promote or move on to something new after years of loyalty
working environment
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXJanuary 17, 2019
Working in retail isn't for everybody, it is an easy job it just takes a lot out on a person mentally if they aren't careful. Its a repetitive job that is best described as doing the same thing day after day. Customer service is the main goal, making sure the customers are happy is important to the company.
un valued
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 17, 2019
Academy offered benefits that was good. I worked there over 10 years because of them. pay was okay for some but after 10 years incentive wasn't much. managers are not always knowledgeable. its sad that in all the years I was employed I was treated like an unvalued associated and saw so many others treated the same. managers would show favoritism to some and those are the associates who would advance. when I first started was a fun place and little by little things changed and not for the best
benefits
Cons
favortism
Academy Sports and Outdoors
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood, ARJanuary 16, 2019
Working 8 hours a day greeting customers, making suggestions, identifying their needs, stocking shelves, keeping records, preventing theft, and keeping the premises clean. I have as well, worked as a cashier when needed. I’m great with communication and a wonderful team player, as I’m very friendly and a hard employee. I’m great at selling products, attention to details, computer literacy, and great with time management.
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 16, 2019
Had a great time working with all my co-workers, also enjoyed helping customers. Fairly easy job, would assist with fitting rooms, stock room, receive shipments, and special order items for customers.
Pros
N/c
Cons
N/c
lot of stocking
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 16, 2019
It a good place to work. I learned a lot of things at Academy Sports and Outdoors. I have to learned how to read invoice and stock items on the shelves.
Not fair
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 15, 2019
It was terrible they come across as racist a lot of people feel uncomfortable there , we never received the hours promised the money was not good at all production was always low there sometimes we couldn't attend work days sometimes a week because of it. I really dislike the treatment there will never return unless I'm desperate or things change.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Racist low income barely make hours for the week we can't live off it
poor
Clerk, Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJanuary 15, 2019
poor pay, poor avilibility for hours, management was always angry and wanting to change something. Low employee morale, the only good thing was the 20% discount on most merchandise
Pros
discount
Cons
slow, poor management, stressful, lack of hours, lack of livable pay
Just OK
Firearms Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 15, 2019
Take away the employee discount and it is a retail job standing all day with the only break being your lunch. Not real good on communication. You will find out after the fact that what we did yesterday is not what we do today. All in all it is just a job.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No breaks, communication
sales representative
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Jackson, TXJanuary 14, 2019
My objective was to help any customer that needed assistance. I learned to zone aisles as well as keeping a great attitude. the managers were very laid back, as well as my coworkers. The hardest part was lifting heavy objects and having to deal with rude customers. The best part was helping people.
productive
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXJanuary 14, 2019
academy provided me with a great job while i pursued my education. The staff became like family to me. Most of which i still keep in contact with. They encouraged me to pursue my dreams and I would recommend anyone to join their team, whether it be short term or long term
Pros
good people
Cons
difficult customers
Not for everybody
Sales Associate/Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 14, 2019
You will be doing most of the work, with very little pay. The managers are in their own world. You do the loading, selling and they reap the benefits.
Fun, friendly and energenic
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKJanuary 14, 2019
Everyday, even the slow ones, were still enjoyable and productive with new learning experiences and opportunities every day. The managers were nice and understanding and were willing to work with your schedule and hours, the $10 starting pay was nice and I was sad that it was a seasonal job only.
Pros
Pay, friendly co-workers and managers
Cons
Seasonal positions, long holiday hours
horrible place to work
Logistics (Current Employee) –  Easley, SCJanuary 14, 2019
Management is very secretive and does not corporate with your schedule, they always change your hours without talking to you about it first. A lot of drama in the workplace!
Would work there again.
Early Morning Stocker/ Merchadiser (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAJanuary 14, 2019
Very solid workspace. Very friendly, professional and diverse staff. Pay was applicable, hours were decent (24 to 35 hours a week) and management made it a priority to make sure all staff members were happy and taken care of.
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJanuary 13, 2019
Good management and a steady amount of hours and scheduling. Coworkers were competent and hard working. Work was hard but made time fly. I left this job because I left town for the military.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy Sports + Outdoors. Our community is ready to answer.

41.2K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Academy Sports + Outdoors.

Powered by Comparably