Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews

Found 3,750 reviews matching the search See all 3,769 reviews
Apply with caution!
IT Regional Support (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 16, 2018
You will quickly see what's actually being told and whats actually being implemented or two completely different thing. Being a self-motivated individual is paramount when working with Academy Sports and Outdoors.

Low salary compared to industry standards, lack of growth for non-upper management employees and poor succession planning.
Pros
20% Discount on merchandise
Terrible Management
Cashier Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Apex, NCNovember 15, 2018
The management at Academy is inconsiderate. My store director is callous and lacks any sense of compassion. They only offer criticism and never praise. The work environment suffers as a result. Any company that promotes this type of manager is not a company that I want to work for.
Pros
Employee discount is nice
Cons
Inconsistent hours, Bad management
n/a
Merchandiser/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LANovember 15, 2018
I do not want to give a comment. They were a good company to work for at that time in my life. I would recommend this job to others who need good training and great people to work around.
Poor managed and stressful place to work.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Flowood, MSNovember 14, 2018
A typical day at work would consist of rude customers and poor management. Although it was not the best job i learned how retail sales worked and i also learned how to increase sales.
Pros
nice coworkers
Cons
poor management
I received a 30 minute break and sometimes a hour long break as well.
Sporting Goods Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 14, 2018
The break room had a TV with cable and was kept neat with a refrigerator. it had plenty of chairs and tables for employees. Their are also lots of lockers in the break room which allows people to keep their personal goods in.
not a good place to work
Asset Protection & Cashier (Current Employee) –  MissouriNovember 14, 2018
I am yelled at everyday by someone who isn't even my boss. Management stands around and talks about their personal lives all day long. Much of what they are talking about makes me uncomfortable. We are really slow most of the day, but I'm not allowed to move around or help anybody outside of my area.
Pros
I have a job
Cons
management is really bad
Good place to work. Needs more work life balanace.
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 13, 2018
Good place to work. Small family atmosphere. Benefits are pretty good. Insurance is pretty affordable. Managers need more work life balance. Employees receive 20% discount.
Pros
Good people and product
Cons
Work life balance
It’s a job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNNovember 13, 2018
They make you do more work and pay the same. If you told them you can only work 1st shift or a mid shift, they’ll switch your schedule and have you work closing and come back in the morning for an early shift. They’ll have you work overnights and still payed the same after months of being there. Some coworkers there have bad attitude also, but majority are mostly nice.
Pros
Free water, discounts
Cons
Management, more work same pay.
Best job I've had thus far
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 13, 2018
If you can handle customers, Academy is a great place to work. Great for student schedules and the money is decent. All of my coworkers are good people and do their jobs.
Pros
Long breaks, flexible hours, good coworkers
Cons
Long shifts, bad customers, sometimes high stress
Save yourself the headache: Don’t work here!!!!!
Apparel Associate (Former Employee) –  Foley, ALNovember 12, 2018
Academy sports and outdoors is the worst company to work for.
I don’t understand how this store is even still standing The managers are lame and all they do is micromanage you and sit in the training room all day watching cameras. They don’t care about the fact that you may have a personal life outside of working.

DO NOT WORK HERE. ITS NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!
Pros
Cons
Everything else
Excellent Work From Home and All-Around Company
Contact Center Customer Service Associate (WFH) (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXNovember 11, 2018
The training is excellent and work very straight-forwarded. All resources and support are outstanding. If not for it being seasonal work, I would work for them for a very long time.
It was alright
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Schertz, TXNovember 10, 2018
Being a cashier is fun, hut after awhile I wanted to do other things. I got be a customer service rep, so I got to do returns and exchanges. Then I moved into the sports department and that was fun, I was really trying to move up and be a lead on shift for that department. But I had to move away all is a sudden dbnkeave that job
I enjoyed the company
Store Director (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXNovember 10, 2018
The company has good benefits and a balanced work life. Too many threats and changes and layoffs with the new CEO. I enjoyed my 10 years with the company and learned a lot.
work is great
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Prattville, ALNovember 10, 2018
the work is good and its always a good feeling to help people find what they need. if you like helping people this is the place for you to work. you will have to learn how to work and cover other departments.
learning management
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Benton, ARNovember 10, 2018
I've learned time management, and how to get things accomplished working with a team. I've learned to achieve tasks working with teams. The most enjoyable part of the job were the employees and the customers.
Pros
one hour lunches
Cons
poor management
Low pay, no training , and poor leadership.
associate (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNNovember 9, 2018
The pay is very low. I do not make a living wage at the location I live. Some departments in the store make a higher amount than others. It is not good for the moral of the location. You are paid too little for as much self training as you are required to undertake at this job.

My first day of work I had received no training on how things were done. I was greeted by the manager and then told to get to work, at which point the manager left me to my own devices. I had some experience in this kind of work so I was not completely drowning, but I seen this done to people that started there with no experience whatsoever. The managers do come around every so often to evaluate what you have done, and that just makes things even muddier.

Working at Academy I learned very quickly that the company does not have a cohesive plan. Every manager has their own way they want things done. You will change a project 5 or 6 times depending on how many managers come by to look at it. There is no one standard.
Pros
I had an early shift
Cons
low pay, poor leadership
Company really cares about the employees and community
Senior IT Finance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXNovember 8, 2018
The company is very employee and family oriented. The benefits are great, and the Campus is very accommodating to the employees. They do a lot for the community and we have a lot of volunteer opportunities within the community as part of Academy.
Pros
fully stocked gym, store discounts, great co-workers
Fun atmosphere
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKNovember 7, 2018
Training for Manager very intense and leadership courses fun to interact with others and some traveling was needed. Had to train in each dept and sold guns had to learn law and pass test to show guns and pass Audit. Security was very important there and merchandising and set planograms was a joy to work on, and love inventory .
Pros
Health Benefits good at the time. Owner was Great man
Cons
I was not a fan of working more night than days
very calm
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, TX 78374November 7, 2018
very organize & fast paced, really loved to be able to help customers and at the same time keep my area clean to help customers to be able to shop at an easier way.
Pros
great workers
Cons
some bad customers
Decent retail position with the usual boons and burdens.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 7, 2018
I was only employed with Academy for the holiday season, but as far as retail stores go, it's not the worst thing ever.

The managers are understanding of one's needs and can usually accommodate if you need to work a shorter shift or take a day off.

It's the typical retail environment, so tedious workdays and difficult customers are going to be an issue on occasion. There's also times where there aren't enough work hours to provide for a regular schedule, so you might find days where you're working shorter shifts.

Still, you're probably better off than at a Wal-Mart.
Pros
Managers are flexible, employees work together, hour-long lunch breaks.
Cons
Stressful at times, occasional inconsistent schedules.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy Sports + Outdoors. Our community is ready to answer.

41.2K

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss