Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews

awful management
Apparel Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 22, 2018
management sucked. all the men that you work with will hit on you on a daily basis. at the 1-10/99 location, the CEO and other higher ups are always in the store, which is nerve wracking for all the the workers.
Happy Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXJanuary 22, 2018
I really enjoyed working here, it was a very friendly place. All the Managers and employees were good people, and the managers were very helpful.I loved how the customers were nice and talkative.
Pros
everything
okay
Sales Associate/ Firearm Salesman (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 22, 2018
Good starter job if you are getting out of high school. besides that, that all. if you work six hours you only get a 15 minute break. Customers were great and fun to talk to
Pros
N/a
Cons
hours and pay
Management needs work
Team Sports Lead (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJanuary 21, 2018
Lack of communication was an issue between management and staff members. Favoritism was also a big issue with this company. I would not recommend this company to anyone looking for advancement opportunity.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Lack of management skills, no chance for advancement
Lots of layoffs due to New Management
DC associate (Former Employee) –  DC WarehouseJanuary 21, 2018
Was a fun place to work but due to new owners lots of layoffs and no job security with this company. third parties are taking the jobs. I really like working here with my co-workers that became family and friends plan on staying here and retiring with this company but due to the layoffs.
Pros
Good benefits decent time off and discounts
Cons
Job security at the DC
Productive and fun workplace
FOOTWEAR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJanuary 21, 2018
Fun place to work at. Customers tended to be understanding when it came to the number of people who were working and already had their hands occupied helping customers to the ratio of the number of customers in the department. There's always something to do at work and you can learn something new each day.
Low pay
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 21, 2018
Academy was a decent place to work but they just didn’t pay no where near what they should for all of the work you have to do as a truck driver. It was not worth it.
Not the best
Footwear Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOJanuary 21, 2018
Management was incompetent for the retail market, promoted unqualified team members over qualified team members. Communication from management down to the lower ranks was nonexistent making it very hard to do your job.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
everything else
If you need a job, take it. Not good for growth
Logistics Team Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 20, 2018
Your experience will depend on what management team you are working for. They can make or break the job for you.
Some are overbearing and can make a 8hr shift seem like 16.
Raises are on average are .25 cent or less. No matter how great of a job you do.
Make sure you're full time, if not your hours will get drastically cut during slow periods. I'm talking going from 40 down to 10hrs a week. If you have a family and bills, that can put you in a bad spot. FAST.
I took the job because I needed it, point blank.

Great co workers
Pros
Discount, Coworkers, Flexible hours
Cons
Low hours, low raises
It's an okay place to work I guess...
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Gretna, LAJanuary 19, 2018
I mean, I was there part time as a Team Member(seasonal) they had me working everywhere. Front greeting, doing some logistics in the back, stocking...
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short Breaks, Lack of one on one training, working more than your position
great
Asset Protection Associate (Former Employee) –  Evans, GAJanuary 19, 2018
Although the pay was low the environment was fun and upbeat. Management was awesome and work well with school and other job schedules. Miss working there but the pay should be better.
Its okay
Apparel Associate (Current Employee) –  Bastrop, TXJanuary 18, 2018
Its alright, work is fine, getting screwed over in hours after holiday season but its not a terrible place to work at. I will say the work is never too much, but you can feel exhausted when you had to work into the night and feel like you should have had a break and feel a touch dizzy after.
Pros
Discount and pay is good
Cons
Short breaks, you can get screwed over on hours often
decent place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXJanuary 18, 2018
working at academy sports and outdoors is decent you do receive a discount on some items. some managers and team leads let their attitudes get the best of them and how they treat other workers but low pay and low chance of being moved up the ladder is why I left.
Pros
cook outs, great workers, awesome customers
Cons
attitudes
Productive and Structured
friendly customer service (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCJanuary 18, 2018
My typical day at Academy Sports started at 4 am and ended at 12pm . I worked Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. They could use better managers because the ones before didn't know a lot.
Pros
Company cookouts
Fun place to work
Operations Senior Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Tomball, TXJanuary 18, 2018
Academy is a fun place to work the staff is friendly. Management is flexible and approachable. Down fall is not enough staff to man the floor due to sales. Not a set schedule. Customers can be demanding and difficult.
Pros
Friendly staff, management willingness to work with school schedules
Cons
Rude customers
Good for big box retail.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 18, 2018
The company is a good company within the big box retail spectrum. There are the usual stresses and expectations of retail but it is a fun environment to work in.
Pros
Steady employment with growth opportunities.
Cons
Not what I want to do with my life.
Productive, easy going
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 18, 2018
Very calm work environment, rarely any rude customers. I learned responsibility. Management was very easy to work with as well as the workplace culture.
great job for starters or second income
Operations Senior Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXJanuary 18, 2018
It all really depends on what store or managers you wok with. My first store was a nice location, great management team, happy employees. The second store there were two poorly trained managers, two managers who abused power and didn't help the new managers, and a store manager who didn't know how to deal with the issues and just made excuses for the bad managers and complained about the new ones... So investigate the store before you apply. See how the employees act, if they seem happy, they probably have a great management team.
Pros
will work around your schedule
Cons
possible issues when the wrong people are in charge
great people
Senior Lead Operations/Cashier (Current Employee) –  LubbockJanuary 18, 2018
great people and a great company I would tell people this would be a good choice to work at because of the friendly and supportive culture. professional and listening leadership
very fun place to work
Team Sports Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXJanuary 17, 2018
helped customers with their shopping experience, learned to work well with coworkers and customers alike. got along with management well and had a great working relationship

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy Sports + Outdoors. Our community is ready to answer.