Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
41.1K
Found 3,517 reviews matching the search See all 3,536 reviews
great place to work at it all depends on your manager
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 19, 2018
When I first started to work for Academy back in 2001 when it was privately own company was a great company that made you feel like family, but when the company was sold there were lots off good and some bad changes.

The good changes the where more opportunities to grow with in the company the benefits are better and chances to grow with the company.

The bad Academy decide to out source a lot of department that lead to layoff for less cost company
Pros
Great sample sales
Cons
no breaks and long hours
Fun
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, GAJuly 19, 2018
It is great place work and the people there are lots fun to work with. I would so go back and work there again. It hot as heck inside there but it worth it
N/a
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, GAJuly 19, 2018
Academy is a decent place to work if you live in Jeffersonville. Pay is to low raise is to low if you do not stay in jeffersonville all else is ok the work is easy
Review
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJuly 18, 2018
This company wasn't managed properly. Management allowed fraud and that is why I left the company. When we had just opened the store, the manager was chipper (as the vast majority of the employees were college students). As months went by, the manager would demand poor hours that conflicted with school. He would allow customers to walk away with fraudulent transactions.
Pros
free food sometimes
Cons
management, pay, attitudes
Productive and fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAJuly 18, 2018
Academy was a great second job for me. My former coworkers and mangers were nothing less than awesome. I always had great small conversations with customers.
Pros
Awesome managers
Cons
Not enough hours
Needs some works
Hunting and Fishing Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXJuly 18, 2018
Employee turn over was incredibly high and I understand why. Management was terrible and there were no clear directions ever given. The management team would constantly disagree with each other and would act childish and argue with each other all the time. There was always a shortage of employees because no one would stay for a long time because of the terrible work environment. There was also little to no promotions. There were employees there working for 5+ years still making minimum pay. Whenever an employee did get promoted they received a dollar raise and took over managements job for a fraction of the pay.
Pros
Decent discount, worked with schedule
Cons
Management needs work
Needs ALOT of improvement
Recieving Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXJuly 17, 2018
Alot of favoritism amongst full timers and team leads. Salary management is oblivious to it apparently. No true team work except in the clicks or comradery. Expected to "stay until its done" even if the truck is late and you are scheduled to leave at 12-1pm after coming in at 4am. Looked down upon by full timers if you follow your schedule and can't finish an impossible workload or task.
Pros
Pay check
Cons
Expected to stay past scheduled time no concern for life outside of store
Fun place to work
Associate (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJuly 17, 2018
Academy was a fun place to work. I enjoyed my coworkers and management. I love the product that we sold there as well. I loved interacting and helping all of the customers as well.
Overall Thoughts on Academy
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXJuly 17, 2018
Academy is the best starter job. I am thankful to have learned many new skills. My managers are pretty awesome, they are very understanding. On my first day i was welcomed with opened arms, the staff is incredible.
Great coworkers, horrible management
Apparel Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARJuly 17, 2018
I really did enjoy this job considering no one is necessarily strict on employees and you were never stuck doing one thing (except if you were asked to be door greeter for a few hours which was truly unbearable). My coworkers were honestly so great and very fine people and are what made me stay at Academy for so long. My store is very understaffed most days and too much is expected of employees. Hours are always getting cut even in the summer when I'm assuming we're most busy being an outdoor store. I seldom hear of people getting raises and if you do you've probably asked for one and its taken awhile for you to get it. Not much opportunity to move up in store. Academy recently made big changes in the company completely erasing very much needed positions in store to save money and now their are even less people because of it. Also...no paid breaks.
Pros
not very strict on what employees are up to
Cons
no paid breaks, understaffed, too much expected
Management needs improvement
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJuly 16, 2018
I worked here as a seasonal position and from day one the company was very unorganized. There are too many "lower-level" managers that want to be the "head chief in charge". When you complain to the actual "head chief in charge" about things they over look them. Managers tell people's business, which is confidential. It's honestly too much to write, this company has major improvement to do!!
Entry level starter jobs. Stay in school kids! Considering leaving.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 16, 2018
First off, this is a good company if you're a high school graduate, great for entry level. I started off as a FT associate (cashier ). Within months I moved up to customer service cashier (more $), but more stressful position. After 3 years of that I moved to the role of Asset Protection Associate (better hours). Soon I was moved to the Door Greeter position, Fitting Room Attendant (unofficial title), Sunglasses Sales Associate (unofficial title). At this point I am just floating between departments, mainly as a Backup Cashier due to severe understaffing.
I enjoy learning various positions throughout the store and enjoy my work. At some point I had a brief illness and fell below the required amount of hours to keep my FT status. At no point since returning to FT availability have I been reinstated to FT, even after seeing multiple people hired since at FT status.
There's a high level of turnover as departments are understaffed and management takes too long to replace people. They will try to get the same work done with less staff if possible which has left a skeleton crew and then they will cut the hours of the people who do most of the work. You're also expected to finish projects (not always in your department) without going into overtime. I have seen so many people just walk out and never come back from the stress. Management is hit or miss, some are great most are not. They push making plan (sales) but the structure is off because there's not enough employees in the store which means missing plan which means cutting hours. It's a vicious cycle.
Pros
Lunch break for full time employees, employee discount.
Cons
Not enough hours, understaffed and overworked.
awesome benefits
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 16, 2018
Great retail company to work for, competitive pay and great benefits, hours are not as great because of the retail hours. Other than that it is a good place to grow if you like retail.
Mala paga, pocas horas
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJuly 14, 2018
Liego de darte horas te las cortan y el pago es muy bajo
slow pace intense customer care
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 14, 2018
Pretty much slow pace a good environment you learn new things on the floor that would help you get through the day and help shift go smoother also cool co workers
Easy peasy
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJuly 12, 2018
Slow paced and relaxing. Managers are very understanding and flexible with hours. Coworkers are lovely and willing to help out. Don’t get paid enough for it.
productive
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJuly 12, 2018
Work. A lot of work dealing with difficult customers on a daily. Mostly short staffed on days you wouldn't want to be short staffed. It's usually not the employees faults because their co-workers are the ones who do not advise the managers that they will not be in but again that goes along with the short staff.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Low pay for what you work.
Very good environment to work in
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 12, 2018
It was a great experience working at Academy got to learn a lot of new things . Ready for something new and exciting. . Was working there for about 3 months got tired of it because I was working full time hours and was only getting part time benefits.
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Lack of employees
Good place for a temporary job
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 11, 2018
Not bad pay but the hours are terrible. Most days you 2:30pm-11: 30 pm on slow days you leave at 10 pm but on busy days you have to stay as late as 2 am. They do have morning and evening as well but you don't get to pick them because its a floating schedual.
Pros
Excellent managers
Cons
Terrible schedule with not great pay
Good for Retail
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Denham Springs, LAJuly 11, 2018
The location I work at has a great team, but the management varies from store to store and some locations are much worse. Most managers are willing to let you work flexible hours, but it can vary. It is typical retail work. The company seems to prefer to hire experienced managers from outside the company rather than promote. In the time I've been there, I have seen only 5 promotions verses 12 hired from outside the company. And 2 of those promotions were from Manager to Store Director.
Pros
Good Benefits and Discount on Merchandise
Cons
Few Promotion Opportunities, Poor Work/Life Balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy Sports + Outdoors. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight