Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews

Found 3,842 reviews matching the search See all 3,862 reviews
The pay was decent and i liked my coworkers but management was the problem
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Paducah KyOctober 27, 2018
The pay was pretty good and I enjoyed working with almost everyone there. I didn't like the hours so much on a typical week, I would be scheduled to close 3 nights in a row getting off work anywhere between 10:30 pm and 1 am (depending on the time of year) and then have to open up the next morning at either 6am or 7am and do that for a couple of days. I never knew when to sleep. Management made up rules to suit them as they went along and promotions were given only to those who received the popular vote, not those who were qualified. Management positions were given to the manager's friends over qualified candidates. If a member of management didn't like you, you were not going to be successful there.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Poor management
Super relaxed environment, easy to get comfortable and help out.
Cashier Team Lead (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXNovember 16, 2018
When I first started in 2016 I loved my job as a cashier. However things were beginning to change, & when I became CTL the overall morale of the store had started to change slowly. Now as I’ve moved up & started to take on more responsibilities I’ve noticed that the front end gets neglected constantly. A majority of management ignores my department and doesn’t try and alleviate problems we encounter. However this is just my store, most of the other stores don’t have problems like this. Therefore it’s managemet that needs a change, and unfortunately this store has already begun to loose a lot of good employees.
Pros
Friendly work environment, benefits, available to work with your schedule easily
Cons
Ignorance to a majority of problems, takes advantage, laziness
Decent job to fill free time
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  ArkansasJanuary 12, 2019
Academy provides an easily attainable part time position to make minimum wage or just above minimum wage. It is typically a pretty slow-paced job, and there are not often unforeseen challenges to the job. Pay raises are given once a year, with a 50 cent maximum, based on a loose evaluation scale. There is not much room to move up in the company, however, there are often opportunities to move to different positions within the store, all within the same pay range. Upper level management is quickly getting worse and putting more and more of a strict hold on the store level management, especially in hours cut, leading to a very bare, severely understaffed store becoming a common scene. An employee should always be prepared to leave their department and assume the role of a backup cashier on a daily basis, at any time of day, as very little cashiers are staffed at a time, mostly relying on the department associates to make up for the front-end being very behind.
Pros
Flexible positions, good lower level management
Cons
Strict higher level management, low pay, no room to move up
Great environment, it makes you feel like a second family
Firearms Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXSeptember 21, 2018
I got a sense of being part of the group from the beginning. Other employees help you learn, management pushes you to train, and at least in my case you never felt like you had to promote sales to stay. If you had a rough week at school you could take it slow and maybe it would be noticed but managers would talk to you before reprimanding you. Also, if you felt like growing, putting the extra effort would always be noticed. A lot of times, hard work would be recognized by more than one supervisor.
Pros
Discount, Environment, Sense of Belonging, Everyone Helps Each Other
Cons
Short Breaks, Slow Pay Raises
Fast-paced retail environment where you see something new every day
Store Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXDecember 30, 2018
Very busy days, especially holiday season, typical of retail. 6 day work weeks are required of managers during holidays.
We sell a great multitude of products, almost to a fault. It seems we increase our sku count of what we carry each year and don't have a true direction or customer base that we cater to.
Customer base appreciates our low prices, but also tries to take advantage of us by constantly asking for discounts, or acting like they can barter us to a lower price than we already have.
Benefits and payscale are very competitive.
Relaxed and fun place to work in a retail setting
Apparel Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hiram, GASeptember 1, 2018
A typical day was relaxed and functioned correctly with each associate working as a team. the management was fair and kept the place running smoothly. The workplace culture was friendly and always offered an opportunity to answer guests' questions, meet their needs, and ultimately lead to customer satisfaction, which makes any retail establishment successful. The hardest part of the job was sometimes knowing that a guest has walked away unhappy or unsatisfied. That being said, the most enjoyable part of working at Academy was knowing you made a difference to a customer's day.
Pros
flexible hours, good staff
Cons
pay is a bit low, benefits are not great
Lovely company...depending on mgmt
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  West Melbourne, FLJanuary 3, 2019
I loved working here at first; we had the best morale. After a year and a half, the true colors of our store director showed. His attitude and feelings reflected on the managers and in return made many employees quit. The benefits and pay were not bad, though. Had corporate came and removed the store director, the turnover rate would be a lot less and many employees would actually enjoy working here.
Pros
company lunches, sick time and pto, discounts, flexible hours
Cons
too much responsibility and not enough pay, slow days, bad management
Blah
STORE OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Several storesSeptember 21, 2018
Working for this company as a Salaried member of management isn't the worst job I've ever had. The culture is very much based on the store, and the store director. If you've got a terrible store director in a even more terrible town, its a recipe for a whole lot of unnecessary stress. The work life balance is god awful, and the compensation is low for the level of expectation, and that is for all retail store positions in this company.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Too many to list
Needs some works
Hunting and Fishing Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXJuly 18, 2018
Employee turn over was incredibly high and I understand why. Management was terrible and there were no clear directions ever given. The management team would constantly disagree with each other and would act childish and argue with each other all the time. There was always a shortage of employees because no one would stay for a long time because of the terrible work environment. There was also little to no promotions. There were employees there working for 5+ years still making minimum pay. Whenever an employee did get promoted they received a dollar raise and took over managements job for a fraction of the pay.
Pros
Decent discount, worked with schedule
Cons
Management needs work
un valued
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 17, 2019
Academy offered benefits that was good. I worked there over 10 years because of them. pay was okay for some but after 10 years incentive wasn't much. managers are not always knowledgeable. its sad that in all the years I was employed I was treated like an unvalued associated and saw so many others treated the same. managers would show favoritism to some and those are the associates who would advance. when I first started was a fun place and little by little things changed and not for the best
benefits
Cons
favortism
Everyone wanted to move on to something better
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAOctober 30, 2018
Only one good manager, which thankfully was the one in charge of my department. Higher management however, was the least professional, most aggravating people to work with. Communication was lacking on all levels and no one seemed to really care that much about what they were doing. Typical retail environment with high chance of burnout and constant turnover.
Pros
Hour breaks, Good benefits
Cons
Low pay, Incompetent Store Management
Sad that I have to leave
Apparel Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, MODecember 17, 2018
The workplace is very accepting however the job security was much more focused on the members in departments that no one else could be trained in and this led to a lack of work ethic. Sadly there was no option for me to advance and the benefits of staying were not enough for me to consider staying.
Pros
Great management.
Cons
No job advancement, low work ethic
a company trying to keep up with the times but doesn't care about employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALJuly 23, 2018
stressful job and lack of care from management. its going through lots of changes company wide and it doesn't care for employees work/life balance. says all full time employees are suppose to work open availability but shows favoritism towards only a certain set of full timers. hardest part of the job is having managers that dont care and dont praise for doing a good job. lack of communication from managers on schedule changes
Pros
discount
Cons
everything about this place. rude managers that stalk employees
Terrible Management
Cashier Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Apex, NCNovember 15, 2018
The management at Academy is inconsiderate. My store director is callous and lacks any sense of compassion. They only offer criticism and never praise. The work environment suffers as a result. Any company that promotes this type of manager is not a company that I want to work for.
Pros
Employee discount is nice
Cons
Inconsistent hours, Bad management
Good for Retail
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Denham Springs, LAJuly 11, 2018
The location I work at has a great team, but the management varies from store to store and some locations are much worse. Most managers are willing to let you work flexible hours, but it can vary. It is typical retail work. The company seems to prefer to hire experienced managers from outside the company rather than promote. In the time I've been there, I have seen only 5 promotions verses 12 hired from outside the company. And 2 of those promotions were from Manager to Store Director.
Pros
Good Benefits and Discount on Merchandise
Cons
Few Promotion Opportunities, Poor Work/Life Balance
Dull and tiring but typical for retail.
Freight Team Member/Team Sports Associate (Current Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXAugust 13, 2018
Academy isn't a bad stepping stone job but don't expect to get very much opportunity to advance or gratitude for your work. Full timers are typically taken advantage of and worked to the bone while part timers or teenagers are ignored when they end up doing nothing but stand around. Expected to do more work in less hours if store needs to cut hours. Most people think that the customers or stocking is the hardest thing about retail, not with Academy. The double standards and unfair treatment between workers and leads or managers is whats hardest. Benefits are very good however pay is not.
Pros
Benefits, moderate work hours per week, discounts
Cons
incosistant, exhausting, low pay, little opportunity
Great coworkers, horrible management
Apparel Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARJuly 17, 2018
I really did enjoy this job considering no one is necessarily strict on employees and you were never stuck doing one thing (except if you were asked to be door greeter for a few hours which was truly unbearable). My coworkers were honestly so great and very fine people and are what made me stay at Academy for so long. My store is very understaffed most days and too much is expected of employees. Hours are always getting cut even in the summer when I'm assuming we're most busy being an outdoor store. I seldom hear of people getting raises and if you do you've probably asked for one and its taken awhile for you to get it. Not much opportunity to move up in store. Academy recently made big changes in the company completely erasing very much needed positions in store to save money and now their are even less people because of it. Also...no paid breaks.
Pros
not very strict on what employees are up to
Cons
no paid breaks, understaffed, too much expected
Apply with caution!
IT Regional Support (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 16, 2018
You will quickly see what's actually being told and whats actually being implemented or two completely different thing. Being a self-motivated individual is paramount when working with Academy Sports and Outdoors.

Low salary compared to industry standards, lack of growth for non-upper management employees and poor succession planning.
Pros
20% Discount on merchandise
Good company
Senior Team lead softlines (Current Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXNovember 2, 2018
Asside from the politics (sense of hierarchy and favoritism) at this store there are really friendly and amazing people at academy. Management needs a lot of help (maybe retraining on how to be a manager). Can only move up if managers like you. But the managers are nice ish. And everyone else is nice. It's an ok company
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Always short staffed
Started out promising
Cashier Team Lead / Inventory Control Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Katy, TX 77450July 23, 2018
Working for the company started out promising, however; there was no room for advancement and not worth the stress of dealing with too many managers. Lack of communication between department heads and managers and usually seemed as though no one knew what was going on. This was at the store level of course. Interviewed 5 times for different positions within the corporate office and never got anywhere. Very disappointed in the culture of the company now that it has started the process to go public.
benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy Sports + Outdoors. Our community is ready to answer.

41.2K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight