Academy Sports + Outdoors

• Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Great entry level!

It was great entry level work for me. Helped me work on customer service skills. I enjoyed the company of the people I worked with. Overall it was a pretty decent experience.

Productive place.

Very productive work place depending where you are at in the company and department depends on tasks if they are busy or not. Overall opening and closing can be stressful without the right people.

Exhausted

No work life balance Salary members work 24/7 phone calls and texts all day long Hardly any development available for anyone willing to grow with the company unless you’re willing to give you’re entire life up to begging constantly.

Cons

No work life balance

The employees are cool

The employees that I work with are really cool individuals, but the managers are literally just a bunch of adult babies who really don’t have a sense of leadership and all they want to do is just make their pockets fatter without truly molding individuals to grow. They promote the people they either like or have some type family similarity. Don’t work here if you truly want to grow.

Pros

Hour lunches

Cons

They take hours away for no reason

Fun and easy place

Worked two years and never regretted it,easy and fun,loved the pearland location so much,enjoyed the workers and the memories of them,super,super easy and easygoing coworkers

Pros

Cons

Boss

Legal slavery/Sweat Shop

You are truly just a number/warm body! Poor training and you can’t work fast enough!! Job coaches put you down and make you feel stupid if you don’t learn fast enough. Worst job I ever had, feel like a trained monkey!!!

Pros

Cons

Sweat shop environment

Management Sucks

Working here can be OK. Management plays favorites and treats people poorly, the lazy workers get rewarded with more hours or a higher pay. The actual hard workers get crapped on. It’s very stressful because when people tell managers about the new people doing wrong, then just turn their head like nothing happened. They over work you, then wonder why the best employees leave because they take advantage

Terrible Management

Management lacks respect for you personally, your health, and your family. To succeed you have to throw everything else in life out the door and work awful hours with little to no wiggle room. They will make you skip breaks. Human Resources does not help because the word doesn’t go high enough to make a difference. Bottom line they care about their bottom dollar and nothing else. your skills don’t make a difference in promotion majority is whether or not they like you. They don’t see anything from your point of view. They are obsessed with being successful and nothing else. Customer service is for reviews not a genuine care for the customer. Poor management skills on keeping employees which is why the turnover rate is so high. They do not lead by example and have zero humility and it shows by their attitude and the people under them as well. If they didn’t have such an amazing location they would be out of business.

Cons

Antique Point of sale system. Seem like schedule is made like a paint by number artist. They create competition TEAM is just a word! Lewisville Texas

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Management, scheduling, favoritism, Zero Standard Operating Procedures

Cool for a little while

It was cool at the beginning because my manager was awesome and really cared about his employees. But he was promoted and left so we got to see the cracks in the management that he held together. The pay was terrible and the pay did not match the work

Pros

Cons

Short breaks, low pay

Jobs at Academy Sports + Outdoors

See more jobs

Academy Sports + Outdoors is not a good company to work for.

The company treated employees terrible and didn't care how they treated them. It was a very toxic work environment with no room for growth. Managers didn't care about the employees and were terrible leaders. I would advise against working there.

Pros

No pros to report.

Cons

Everything and everyone.

The job was alright

I worked part time and it was an alright experience. I was given a raise once and promoted once pretty easily so growth seems pretty good. I only worked there for a year so I don't know too much but it was an alright place to work.

Toxic work environment due to management

The amount of money isn't worth the amount of work. Management will overtask you and expect it done in an unreasonable amount of time, then will proceed to talk down on you if it doesn't get finished in the time of your shift . Most management is clueless on how to perform simple tasks but will act like they know more than you. Shift changes are also common without communication. Very poor management upbringing with very poor communication and respect towards associates. To them everyone is replaceable no matter how hard you work. The stress of working here isn't worth it.

Pros

Free food on major holidays, other associates treat you like family.

Cons

Poor Management

There was nothing positive that came out of this company.

This company does not promote from within, does not offer equal opportunity pay, and plays favorites in every department. It was incredibly mentally and physically exhausting as well due to the fact I was expected to work 10 hours straight with no lunches because staffing was never adequate.

Pros

Nothing ! I was denied my own pto at one point!

Cons

Everything!

Easy job. Managers/store director are the issue

The job is super easy and there is always something to do. The pay increases every year in small cent increments so don’t expect much. Part time will stay part time don’t expect to move up. You will see a lot of new employees come and go as that seems to be part of the academy experience. Management will be the reason you quit. Can’t make a complete schedule without making it short staffed or follow availability time sheets. You’re going to work outside your available times and most likely you’ll work someone else’s shift. The managers and store director attitudes towards their own position and feelings about other management will show you how much they care about what you do. The whole store is full of drama and is being run like a joke. But, it’s an easy job!

Pros

Associates are all nice, simple tasks

Cons

Scheduling, management, favoritism

A relatively fun environment ruined by bad management.

Definitely not a college job. Management will talk happily about how they'll work around your schedule then brutally schedule you on days you claimed you wrote as unavailable sometimes. The associates are all very nice and supportive people, it's just the management has little idea of how to work efficiently.

Pros

Employee discount, strong full time benefits

Cons

Bad management, lack of communication, no attempt to work with people's schedules

Learn a lot

I’ve learned a lot and made a lot of friends. Management is not so supportive or understanding. Ton of work with little staff. Extremely high turnover.

Pros

20%discount

Cons

Lack of support and no staff

Fun work environment

it was actually fun to work there.. people there are nice & hours are always flexible.. whether you have another job or currently enrolled in school, managers will work with you & put you on the schedule when your available. 10/10 highly recommended

Pros

Long breaks

Cons

Don’t ever accept a promise without it in writing.

Job is consistently, dramatically understaffed including before this year’s “labor shortage.” Managers will try to poach employees from other departments and make promises of raises and benefits with no intention of following through. I’ve been promised raises that never came, backpay for a late raise that also never came, and benefits I was never given for moving to receiving where I was promised wednesdays off (nope) and was made to work at least 1 1/2 hours overtime every single day for months. Management is all over the place, there’s never more than one in the store so good luck finding an opportunity to discuss anything with them. I know there’s plenty worse out there but this is confidently the worst job I have ever had.

Pros

Good discount

Cons

Dishonest management as a rule

Overall good place to work

While frustrating at times, Academy is a good place to work. It is a retail job and weekends are required. Often it's every singe weekend. Schedules come out two weeks in advance.

An okay place to work

the job was great when I first started off, due to the store having enough staff to schedule. But the management went way over their heads and drove over half the new and old workers away. We are extremely understaffed although there have been constant claims of "hiring a whole new team" every month with no new people actually starting. Customers are a hit or miss, the majority of them tend to cause no problems and I have met plenty of great people. Do not accept being a backup cashier, you will regret it and never be seen in your department because you will be on the register all day, every day. Overall, this job has also helped me extend my knowledge in new things such as shoes, hunting/camping, and sports.

Pros

Will work with school schedule

Cons

Overworked

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy Sports + Outdoors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.3K
1.6K
1.3K

Women's ratings

2.8Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Academy Sports + Outdoors with

• Academy Sports + Outdoors
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?