Academy Sports + Outdoors

Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews

United States4,794 reviews
Found 4,794 reviews matching the search
Fun Place to work
Overall there are team activities and we try to live our selling proposition - be good at sports and outdoors. A typical day at work is busy since there is always a backlog in hiring and a hiring freeze for some time.
Excelente
La consideró bueno lo que si deben trabajar con el personal que allí dirige no todas tienen buena ética y practican mucho el regionalismo por lo demás todo está muy organizado
Fun if you like being taken advantage of
I would only suggest working here if you’re truly desperate for money or it’s a beginner job for you. Management expects you to complete an impossible amount of work in your shift along with having to do tasks such as cashier , carry outs, and help other departments. Every day, the store is short staffed , and people notice that. Some days , I’d be the only person to take care of three departments that take up half the store . Being a hard worker will only mean that they take advantage of you and expect you to do all the work while others get away with doing nothing. I will never want to work here ever again
Hard to get promotions.
Its hard to advance at Academy, even with exceptional work ethic and organizational skills. But they will work with your schedule is you have an additional job.
Good place to work, but not make a career.
Ever since the launch of the new in store credit card program, that is all the management and corporate people care about. I have enjoyed my time for the most part, regular sales associates are super great to work with as are most team leads, but management is only focused on one thing, credit cards. Management changes personnel more than sales floor. Working here as a college student though proces rather difficult, they say they will work with your schedule but ultimately get mad when you have classes every day. Also, they schedule oart time workers full time hoirs without giving any full time benefits or pay.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Someone special
Academy did not start out like it was when I left in 2019. I enjoyed working there but as people left and new ideas started coming in and everybody wanted to change things, it started to change for the worse. I believe it may be headed back in the right direction now but everyone should understand, every company has problems, it’s up to the person if they are strong enough to endure.
A decent Job but not a career.
A normal day at the DC in Cookeville is doing what ever task you was trained to do rather that be loading trucks or stocking new merchandise for either 10 or 121 hours and that's about it. Very repetitive but if you need money and are okay with long days it will pay.
Toxic, rude, vindictive store director ruined a good place to work.
Four years into a job you're comfortable and confident, have a relationship with regular customers and know your co- workers well. None of it matters when you have an unstable boss who makes no effort to get along.
Pros
It WAS a great place to work.
Cons
One person can destroy morale and it happened at my store.
Good starter job
Good starter job. I worked there several years ago. While I was there the management was rude and would not respect the employees. However I believe that individual is no longer with the company. It was more of a reflection on that individual than the entire company.
This Company Needs Help
This company has gone down hill, and cares little to nothing about its workers. There's so much mandatory overtime, so there's little work/life balance. Usually, you'll find out about the mandatory overtime the day before. There are a few good managers, but most are passed over for the other managers' "friends".
The benefits are pretty good, but the pay isn't the greatest.

Overall, this company needs to take a real hard look at how they treat their workers if they want to survive.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Academy Sports + Outdoors?
Horrible job
Ive worked at 2 different academy stores within the past 3 years, and management has always been horrible. They do not care about their employees unless you're kissing their butt (literally). They are unfair and pick favorites and would not care if you are literally about to pass out. Just offer the credit cards and you'll get through your shift, unless your team lead threatens you and says you're not allowed to leave the store until you get a certain amount of sales. DO NOT WORK HERE. Especially at the Northwoods San Antonio location. Only benefit is the pay is somewhat good but not worth the emotional trauma the team leads and management cause on you.
Horrible place to work
The corporate environment is totally messed up, they only care about the bottom line and what goes into the pockets of the investors and executive management. Employees in the office are treated terrible, over worked, under paid and under appreciated. The theme is "do more with less" and that mainly means to do more work with less people. They've been doing layoffs for the past two years, mainly under the radar so the media doesn't pick it up.
Don't waste your time applying for a job here because you will only be looking for another job within a year.
productive fun place to work in
typical day is collecting carts , maintenance
what i learned is collecting cart and making sure my job is complete

the hard part is cart pusher and cleaning up

most enjoy part of the job is all the friendly faces

and greeting customers
It’s the worst.
Academy was fine when I first started. Which was around a year ago. But now.. especially with managers switching around. Going to work now is stressful. The managers at the Corpus store are the worst and do nothing but talk badly about each other behind everyone’s back. You can’t do anything without being judge for it. you can’t ask for any help from anyone. Being a cashier/CTL I leaned that asking for a manager to come up and help is pointless and will do nothing but make the situation worse.
Good training
I’ve only worked at Academy for a few months but think I have a good feel of the culture.
Everyone gets along and has a kind of “whistle while you work” attitude. The management does their jobs and are always helpful.

Overall, I’m happy to work there and hope it’s long term.
I loved my experience working at a academy.
I definitely recommend working at this company if you enjoy working in a retail environment where you are constantly moving and learning from management.
Decent jobs
Decent job to get warehouse experience. They have good benefits and they match up to 6 percent on 401k plans. They have a cafeteria so bringing lunch or breakfast is not a necessity.
Pretty laid back, but management here was pretty bad
The work in and of itself is pretty normal for a retail environment. The people below management are usually pretty alright to work with, very few lazy people and everyone seems to be mostly pulling their own weight. The problems come up when you begin to be moved around departments, hours and wages cut randomly simply because they want to move you from a field of expertise to a register. They take a very harsh approach to people with depression and anxiety, forcing them to only have jobs in the lower paying positions, and if they find out about your condition, they will cut your hours, your pay, and move you down the ladder, regardless of your performance and customer satisfaction. The exact words used with me was that, because I have depression and anxiety, I was a "danger to the company and my coworkers." I find this to be a deplorable way of looking at such a common affliction such as depression, as most people experience it at some point in their lives. Personally, I was very upset when this happened, although I had no power to do anything.
Strong leadership that if focused on employees and customers
Culture is family oriented with a fun atmosphere that is focused on providing fun for its customers. Diversity of opinion is encouraged and collaboration is the norm.
Overall good experience
I was only there for a short period of time, but I felt like I could make a good change. There were positive people, I just wish management was better. I had a hard time balancing my two jobs and often had to call into my other job because Academy didn't work with what I had. I made some really good friends over the summer, but all of them left by the time winter hit.
Pros
Good pay, great peers
Cons
Management doesn't really care about employees
Es una empresa muy competitiva en la que hay muchas oportunidades de superación personal
Es una empresa donde aprendes a trabajar en equipo.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy Sports + Outdoors. Our community is ready to answer.
1.2K
1.5K
1.2K
Women's ratings

2.8Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.