Academy of Art University Employee Reviews

Very nice University to work for. I Love helping the students thst are interesting in great futures.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 26, 2018
If I was still in California I would still be working for AAU. I really enjoyed the instructors, students, departments staff and the friendly Bus drivers.
Pros
Get to work in every department that the University has.
Cons
There is a lot of buildings to this Campus.
NOt a good place to work
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 20, 2018
they Lied about what the job is and what you would be doing. they only care about the bottom dollar not the students or employees. I would never recommend that place to anyon
Aau
Assistant Strength & Conditioning coach (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 27, 2018
Long hours, low pay. University not well managed; athletics is managed as best it can be. Facility issues; lack of coverage. Hopefully it can all be worked out.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great Company
Assistant Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 24, 2018
This was an awesome Federal Work Study position I held while attending college. Loved everything about it. Gave me an opportunity to learn new things.
Great management
Peer Mentor/Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 9, 2018
I really liked working for Academy of Art and it taught me a lot of valuable skills that I will use as I continue my career. The people I worked with were very helpful and kind.
Perfect for Remote Work
Online Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 29, 2018
Being an online adjunct professor is perfect for remote work. If you live in a rural area where your house is paid off and you don't have to pay rent, this is a great job. The hours are flexible and there is health insurance. The only caveat are the semester breaks and not knowing if your classes will have adequate enrollment.
Pros
Flexible schedule and friendship between management and staff.
Cons
No compensation during semester breaks and uncertainty of enrollment.
The Teacher's Struggle Is Real
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 4, 2018
This place is among my favorite places to be on a given day. The students and the atmosphere make it a place of appeal and inspiration. Everything about being a tutor/instructor is exceptionally rewarding.

However, as much money as I know this place rakes in, as much money as they blow every year defending themselves in court, and as much money as clearly gets absorbed by our parent company, the staff and faculty get the shaft! Some instructors are given some extreme preferential treatment (such as being flown in, fares paid for, or meals supplied) but most of us are scraping by... literally going hungry at times.

The university considers it's help as overhead and not part of the team. #disappointedByThis
Pros
Always tip of the sword, In the city, Surrounded by adventure, Inspiration abound
Cons
Costs outweigh paychecks and it's rubbed in your face
Horrible Work Environment/ Management
Campus host- Front Desk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 24, 2018
Avoid working here unless you're really in need of employment. It is very easy to get hired here because people are always leaving. Management was very poor and disorganized. The first few days you will just be placed in random locations because it is likely that the manager will forget to plan ahead. In addition to this, expect to be micromanaged and serve as security personnel (except without the pay). This company wants to cut costs anywhere possible at your expense. I do not recommend anyone to even consider being employed by this company.
Pros
income
Cons
strongly encouraged not to take a break, hostile work environment
The Acadmey of Art University
Adjunct professor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 23, 2018
The school is good, but there are too many times where there were no rubrics for projects. Teachers have a good deal of discretion for projects and evaluations.
Pros
The culture is good
Cons
Upper management is off.
A good place to work ( considering other options)
Campus Safety (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 26, 2018
The hours can be long but the 3 days off each week balance out well. The company is great and fair with it's employees but some supervisors lack leadership skills making work more challenging.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor leadership
Good University, poor internal management
Outreach & Recruitment Representative (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 12, 2018
Very flat organizational chart. Only a few people running the entire University. They are over-worked with no new or fresh ideas. They need NEW blood and ideas, however they do not pay enough for the Bay Area to recruit talent, instead they recruit from other failing and closing Universities.
Pros
Great Art School and hands-on opportunities for students
Cons
Poor management hurts Universities overall reputation and future effectiveness.
OK if you need experience
Campus Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 25, 2018
There is a top-down sense of fear that jobs could be eliminated at any point, and occasionally they are. Very strict and micromanaged. Employees do not feel appreciated. But if you need a job quick this might be a good place to submit an app. They are always looking and you could start in less than a week in some cases.
relax and fun job
MacLab Technician, (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 25, 2018
Oversee course implementation and monitor faculty input and student output in areas of design, video
producer and codes.
Assess students’ achievement of the course learning outcomes. Offer constructive feedback to assist
students in their skills development.
Camera Operator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 6, 2018
It is a fun environment to be around. I was a student there so a lot of the work I did was school related. You did not get paid for it. It just set you up and treated you like real job situations. So you were graded on how well you did your job. They’re motto was don’t treat this like it’s a class. Treat it like this is a job.
May 17, 2018

We are glad your experience at Academy of Art University was positive and productive. Thank you for contacting us.

Cutthroat, yet isolating.
Instructional Design Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 5, 2018
You can work very, very hard here and it is simply not noticed due to the chaotic environment you're working in. High stress, high turnover and almost no possibility for advancement. The subject matter you work with can be so interesting, but the job is such a thankless grind that it's likely not worth it for most people.
Pros
Worked remotely, great subject matter and some fantastic professors.
Cons
There is never enough time to complete the work you're given, so you're always feeling behind and stressed.
May 17, 2018

We’re sorry to hear that your experience at Academy of Art University did not meet all of your expectations. It is wonderful to hear that you were intrigued by the subject matter and enjoyed working with many of the fantastic Academy of Art University faculty.

Enjoyed my time
English/Writing Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 4, 2018
Enjoyed my time at the school. Taught enough classes to get by but wasn't given more work when I wanted it. Good teachers. Good immediate supervisors.
May 17, 2018

We are genuinely happy to hear that your experience at Academy of Art University was enjoyable and that it gave you the opportunity to work with good teachers and supervisors. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors

Work with great people
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 1, 2018
My entire department has a great vibe and everyone enjoys the atmosphere. Management struggles quite a bit because there a shift between Executive Office and staff
May 17, 2018

Your comments and opinions are valued. Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Great and fun experience
ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJanuary 31, 2018
Classes are fun and students are engaging.
Generally everyone behaves professionally with good communication. Healthcare insurance is offered. Shuttle buses are available to move around various campuses.
May 17, 2018

It is good to hear your class time with Academy of Art University students is productive and enjoyable. Thank you for posting!

Lots of turn over in instructors
Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 24, 2018
As an Instructor to get a decent wage one must teach a LOT. like 13 classes a semester. The Academy only pays for classroom hours, not prep-time, grading, lesson planning, etc So most of your work time in not compensated- hence the large class load per semester.
Pros
Students are AWESOME
Cons
Everything else
May 17, 2018

We agree that Academy of Art University students are awesome. Thank you for taking the time to post. If you are still teaching with us, please contact Human Resources. We do pay our Instructors for work performed outside of the classroom.

Thank you for your contributions to our students.

Online Photo Instructor
Adjunct Photography Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 17, 2018
I am an online instructor of photography at the Academy of Art university and work from home. Students I have taught online ranged in age from seventeen to seventy.
May 17, 2018

What a varied and interesting perspective your diverse community of online students must bring to your Academy of Art University classes!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy of Art University. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss