Acadia Insurance Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
busy company to work for
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAMarch 13, 2018
Busy place to work. Company encouraged getting Associate in Claims. Training & guidance from management was lacking. Great benefits. Room for advancement.
benefits
Cons
clique
The best job I ever had
Commercial Lines Underwriting Associate (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJanuary 19, 2018
This was my first insurance job and the best job I have ever had. My managers and coworkers are all people of the highest caliber. I came in as an entry-level employee, and they culitvated me into an insurance professional. I highly recommend this company to anyone in the insurance industry, and especially to any newcomers to the field.
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, MESeptember 14, 2017
Overall, it is a comfortable place to work. Well structured, very good benefits, and the work is consistent. If you like a corporate environment, this is the place to work.
Ok company, doesn't value everyone
Service (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MEAugust 17, 2017
This is a decent company to work for if you keep your mouth shut. They do not value all employees the same. I had to leave due to a hostile environment, HR was aware and did nothing. I was genuinely surprised and hurt they let me walk. Work/life balance is good.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Pay, hostility, not valued
decent hours
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MEJuly 14, 2017
pay is not the best but offers good benefits. Beautiful campus and great people. Upper management is approachable, good summer hours program lets you take advantage of the short summer in Maine.
benefits
Cons
pay is not the greatest
No future
Services (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MEJune 11, 2017
Acadia is an ok place to work if you don't have an opinion. I left Acadia as I was told I had no future and I endured a lot of mental/verbal abuse. HR wasn't concerned with my hostile environment. The level of respect you receive depends on your department. Acadia cares more about the employees bringing in money as opposed to the service employees.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Pay, career advancement, hostile environment
Productive company with emphasis on employees
Accounts Receivable Technician (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MESeptember 24, 2016
The days were busy with more work always coming in.

I learned a lot about commercial insurance, especially audits. Co-workers were all friendly and knowledgeable.

The hardest part of the job for me were the audits and helping customers was the most fun.
Great environment, average pay
Rating Technician (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NHFebruary 9, 2016
This is a fun place to work. The people are amazing but the pay isn''t the greatest. Like most places, you have to know who to impress and how to impress them. Outside of the box thinking isn't always appreciated and you may find yourself stuck if you do happen to be one of those people. Overall, I'd give the place a 3.5/5. This is a great company to retire with but not so great when you're just getting started.
Great work enviroment
Inland Marine Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Marlborough MASeptember 29, 2015
While I enjoy working at Acadia. The deparment I currently work in has had several changes in the senior level leadership. This has caused for several changes in the way to view things and makes it difficult to understand the Acadia way.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Constant changes in leadership / proceedures
Low pay. Sr. Managment lacks direction.
Loss Control (Former Employee) –  New EnglandAugust 23, 2015
Ok place to hang if your just in it for a paycheck. All the LC folks with talent have already jumped ship. Trust is an issue with SR. Managment. It's been going down hill with each president change, which is about every 5 years.
Pros
pizza on snow days if your in the office.
Cons
LC is not valued by current management.

Want to know more about Acadia Insurance?

Ask a question
Changing underwriting appetites
Senior Marine Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MEJuly 30, 2015
During my time at Acadia Insurance, I witnessed major shift in the underwriting philosophy (from finding way to insure risks to giving reasons why a risk was not insurable).
Pros
Competitive salary and excellent benefits package
Cons
Not being able to "read" senior management
Staff includes many personable, experienced workers
Senior Inland Marine Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MEJanuary 22, 2015
Company has 6 offices across New England. Your experiences at this company can be different depending on the office you are located in.
Good location in Bedford NH
Commercial Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NHDecember 21, 2012
Nice place to work, fellow employees are good to work with, prior management was not as good as current management.
Progressive employer; great lunchroom; Thanksgiving dinner
Casualty Claims Adjuster for Commercial Liability (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAAugust 16, 2012
Working in commercial lines insurance is intensive but rewarding. It is important to have a working relationship with your fellow teammates. The workload is very heavy but we all got along well and assisted each other with some of the load. We all were the best at something and shared quite frequently with others.

Advancement is a long process, mostly because Acadia is a small company, less that 100 adjusters in six locations. A nice aspect is the offices are all-insurance combined, about 65 people to my office.

The down side is the workload. Sometime adjusters work 60-70 hours weekly, no overtime pay as we were salaried.
Pros
great people! lots of togetherness among all lines.
Cons
long hours for the claim adjusters.
Excellent Regional carrier with solid leadership and good vision to the future.
Commercial Lines Director (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MEJune 5, 2012
Acadia is a customer/agent focused company. We spend a large part of our energy finding ways to make common sense decisions that benefit both parties. We have established an approach that allows us face time with our key insureds and helps them beyond just claims experiences when it comes to company interacts. That makes Acadia different.
Sometimes change is not a good thing
Senior Los Control Rep (Former Employee) –  Bedfod NHAugust 30, 2011
The latest management team is focused only on writing business and not writing profitable business. Employees are under tremendous stress and consistently asked to bend their ethics. Not the place it once was.
Pros
bribes with pizza
Cons
very stressful work environment