ACCEL Schools Employee Reviews

Good
Crew Member (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Zanesville, OHAugust 18, 2018
Good easy nice relaxed free lunch break free tranportation an everything nive people good conditions fun times swift work reliable pay weekly fun bosses
Pros
Free lunch
Worst Teaching Position Ever Held
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 17, 2018
I have 18 years teaching experience and working for Accel has led to my decision to stop teaching. The work environment does not foster growth as a teacher. The children Accel schools serve are challenging to begin with but the policies and procedures make the job unbearable. When working at an Accel school expect to have very few resources that actually help the children learn and no support from administrative staff. If you are new to teaching do not get pulled into community/charter schools just to have a job. You will not want to stay in the profession working at an Accel school.
Pros
Cons
To many to list
Horrible Place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  OhioJuly 14, 2018
Accel is an awful place to work! No lunch breaks, principal micromanaged everything that every teacher did and let the kids assault teachers with no consequences. The principal would pull you from your only break during the day while your kids were in specials for meetings, subbing in another room or even manning the door. The kids ate lunch with you and if you needed to use the restroom, you had to text the principal to ask for someone to watch your class because there was never a time you were not working with kids. There was no extra pay for taking extra kids, losing your planning period, attending meeting after school, etc. The ONLY good things were the staff and most of the students.
Pros
other teachers
Cons
no lunch, no breaks, no supplies, micromanaging
It was a good experience!
Community Engagement (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 9, 2018
This company has great benefits. However, compensation needs improving. The position I had was high stress but rewarding. It was fun working with the schools and principals pertaining to enrollment. The events were fun and it was awesome being out in the community. My suggestions for improvement is to invest more in professional development. There should also be more training and performance feedback involved. The biggest suggestion is if you promise an employee a raise or review. Then please stay true to your word. If you cannot do something then open communication would have been appreciated.
Benefits
Cons
Hours
Poor Environment
instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 1, 2018
I would not recommend my worst enemy to work here. There is a lot of back stabbing and the leadership at Accel Schools is very poor. Do not waste your time working at any Accel School or sending your child to these schools. the education hat the students have at these schools are also very poor.
Pros
Cons
Poor Leadership
review
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJune 20, 2018
I was given a job and very grateful for it. Classroom teacher with a lot of responsibility. I am not sure of a chance for advancement. There is no set method to advance.
Pros
I get a paycheck
Cons
Insurance out of pocket is outrageous
Education
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 11, 2018
Community / Charter school management company
Served as an independent contractor for a specified project
Limited contact with staff; however, all encounters were very professional
Family feel with collaborative and team environment
Title One Teacher (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHMay 28, 2018
This is a school environment with a family feel. The staff are all very genuine and work together as a team. The administration staff is very caring and run a very efficient team. Everyone has several roles and responsibilities and at times the work load can be heavy and somewhat stressful, but the support of the team can always be felt. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job are working with students with a variety of needs. The school is healthy and strong with high expectations. There are many extra curricular activities to be involved in and many options for committees to serve on. Plan to work hard everyday and to expect more from yourself to meet the needs of terrific students and plan to feel valued and adopted by a team that feels more like a family.
They do not care about children
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 15, 2018
I reported suspected child abuse and due to the school not being heavily involved it was unfounded. Everything could have been investigated but it wasn't because they more than likely swept this under the rug. They were well informed of the incidents.They do not care about your children. They care more about their reputation. I am furious because being a righteous person never gets you anywhere and now my children are going to suffer.
Its a great place to work if you're a single parent as it is a school and it's comparable to school hours so you will save on daycare.
Classroom Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 14, 2018
Accel staff reminded me of being in multiple High school cliques with the drama.To much drama. Also very slow paced, and not recommended for those who need to create their own structure.
Pros
good hours
Cons
low pay in the summer, hours are reduced by half until mid september, no pay for 4 weeks.
hang out with the in crowd
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHMarch 28, 2018
don't buck the crowd. hang out with the cool kids. that keeps your job
management is flacky. 2 many probs with employees and nobody wants to fix it. if u have to it will b ok but try 2 look elsewhere
Marketing and so much more.
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 28, 2018
I currently work at Accel Schools, the environment is energetic and uplifting. The different departments of the company work interdependently of each other, collaboratively helping each other solve company issues or concerns that may occur. No company is perfect, but this company I have truly enjoyed working for. It is nice to come to work each day and love what you do and enjoy the people you work with. I wouldn't change it for the world.
Pros
Collaborative, fun, hard-working employees that care about the company and each other.
Cons
We need more schools!
Very poor "school"
teacher (Former Employee) –  ColumbusMarch 12, 2018
Move on. Don't even think about working here. There is no consistency or rules. One day you are told to do this then the next day is do that.
Management is very poor. Salaries are very low. There is no support for teachers or for students.
No teacher support, constantly changing, micromanaging everything
Teacher (Former Employee) –  OHMarch 8, 2018
The emphasis is on the "state tests" not on the students. Staff is told what they will do, not asked. Then, the next day, it is changed. Everything here is about getting money, or saving money instead of providing a quality education and fair wages. Most of the employees quit when Accel took over the schools, now we know why. Half the teachers are already looking for other jobs and it's only March. Most of the teachers are long-term substitutes that are new to teaching., many are unqualified to teach. Save yourself the frustration.
Pros
The students are fun to teach.
Cons
Bad management, low pay, constant changes, cold building.
Horrible Place
Administrator (Former Employee) –  OhioFebruary 9, 2018
Upper management rarely, if ever visits schools. They depend on outside forces to inform them of what is going on in the school. They expect you to do the work of 2-3 people all the while losing focus of the real goal....educating students. Upper management does not support school administrators, but instead gives the teachers complete control to say and do what they want. As a company they do not try to bring the other regional schools together to support each other and build a better educational institution. This place will stab you in the back the first chance they get after you have poured sweat, blood and tears into trying to build a good program without their assistance. Don't walk, run away from this place.
Pros
Cons
workload, lack of support and guidance, upper management, unrealistic expectations
Amazing
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 1, 2018
They train you within two weeks until for feel confident to do your responsibilities and work as a team. You learn to work with all disabilities and be professional.
Pros
Work as a team and never alone
Cons
Hours during the breaks and summer school
Great Company with alot of work to do!
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Independence, OHJanuary 17, 2018
Education management is challenging in itself, but to take over other companies' ventures and turn them around is exactly what Accel Schools is tasked with. They have some really smart, hardworking people working to improve the culture of the Charter School industry in the communities they service. Great benefits, great opportunity to work with great people and makers of chance!
Pros
Great Benefits, Great work environment
Cons
lots of work to do, challenging market
Mission-Driven Organization with Great Leadership
Administration (Current Employee) –  OhioJanuary 17, 2018
ACCEL employees are people who aren't afraid to work hard because they believe in making a difference in their communities and in the lives of children. Unlike other charter school management organizations, each ACCEL school is unique/different than other ACCEL schools because ACCEL believes that education should be customized to the local community.

One thing I really value about working at ACCEL is the leadership team. I have never worked with such a talented, hard working, and solid leadership team before. Even though I don't work in the head office, each time I interact with the head office I come away impressed with how dedicated the leadership is to supporting our schools, supporting our employees, and growing our organization to make more of an impact on ed reform.
Pros
Great benefits, incredible leadership, mission-driven
Cons
Hours can be long in some seasons
Enjoyed my time there!
Administration (Former Employee) –  ClevelandJanuary 17, 2018
I have worked at several education management companies and Accel Schools has been the best. They do their best to put the students first and offer a better academic option to the community.
Benefits
Not a social workplace, full-time employees are treated like temps
Community Engagement (Former Employee) –  Independence, OHNovember 20, 2017
Once this company get what they need from you in the short time being they will let go of you despite promising yearly work. Asked to work weekends and out of town on numerous occasions.