Accomack County Public Schools Employee Reviews

I really enjoy working with kids. I’ve always wanted to be a school teacher.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 8, 2019
I really enjoy working with kids. I’ve always wanted to be a school teacher. It’s a blessing that I did get the job and I’m loving every bit of it. I’ve learned that I have to help the kids when they need the help. I just really enjoy doing this type of work.
Accomack County has great potential as a school division, but keeps falling short. It would do well to let the teachers teach.
Middle School ELA Teacher (Former Employee) –  Accomac, VAJuly 3, 2019
As teachers we worked hard to fulfill our mission of educating our students. But we were often thwarted by the career ambitions of administrators, including our own principle, to show passing test scores in an environment where kids came in with a lack of basic skills. We got blamed if they did poorly, and had little time to teach useful skills and concepts, just test prep. Our principal had no respect for us and often got in the way of teaching with ill-conceived plots. Nepotism was an issue at the county level. Numerous administrators came and went quickly, using us as a stepping stone to better jobs.
Pros
A community of teachers who had each others' backs; some kids who made it worth coming to work
Cons
Self-serving leadership with no interest in educating children. Nepotists at high levels.
one problem after another
HVAC Technician (Current Employee) –  Accomack County, VAOctober 24, 2018
check in at 7:30 am and get work orders for day. always busy with one problem or another. Having to deal with schools and kitchen equipment and am on call 24/7. have learned a great deal about commercial equipment and computer training. Hardest part on job is always being on call. best part is dealing with the people in he schools. I have been working short handed and it makes it hard to kept ahead with so many problems arising daily.
Pros
work is close to home
Cons
stressful job
cut throat
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chincoteague Island, VASeptember 5, 2018
you always felt as though you needed to work twice as hard and twice as long to keep up with the demands; leadership was often negligent; no support at all.
Good Learning Experience
Grade Learning Support Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oak hall VAAugust 2, 2017
Accomack was my very first teaching experience. It was a great learning program for first time teachers, and had a good support system throughout the teaching staff.
Review
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oak Hall, VAApril 23, 2017
It is better to be a student than employee. There is a big disconnect between administration and new teachers. If you haven't been in the system for years it is extremely hard to make your mark.
Fun and Enjoyable
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Accomack County, VAJanuary 27, 2017
It was a pleasure working for this organization. I love working with my co workers and residents. It was enjoyable working with the residents. I loved hearing their life stories.
Great
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Accomac, VAApril 27, 2016
Accomack County school system provided me with a place to build my work experience. I was allowed to work in many different areas and it helped me to grow as an individual.
don't work for this school system
elementary teacher (Former Employee) –  accomack countySeptember 9, 2015
Retired teacher. When began career totally different system. Now it has evolved into an education factory where a teacher does not have any rights and the students are only primed to pass SOLS. They aren't getting the education they need to prepare them for the future. Teachers aren't a valuable asset with this school system. The school administration staff are over payed while the teachers are grossly under payed. Apply to teach in Maryland.
Pros
close to home
Cons
terrible administration
Lacking Suppot
ESL teacher (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  VAJune 11, 2015
English as a second language was new, there was no curriculum and teachers were not aware of what to expect from various levels of E.S.L. students.
Pros
Great kids!
Cons
Little support from administrators and teachers.
substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  Accomac, VAJune 1, 2015
It have a Great service they respond back fast. I would definitely recommend to several different people. Even the app flows and run smoothly.
Enjoyable classroom environment and cohesive colleague support and rapport
teacher (Former Employee) –  Accomac, VAMay 14, 2013
Typical workday included teaching from 8-3:15. I learned to interact well with administration and students in a productive manner. I created a positive learning environment for the students taught.
Pros
Stable salary, the opportunity to help children learn.
Cons
Salary advancement limited
Working in Accomack County
Substitute Teacher/ Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Accomac, VAApril 24, 2012
To be honest:

When I came into this school system, it was a life saver, literally in every stroke of the word. Since then my life has revitalized, however, not without limits. I believe the only reason why I have stayed here for so long are the parents of my students, the school where I work at, and the boss/principal that I have been blessed to have.

There is little to know pay here, even for a bus driver and a substitute. There is definitely no job security, there were massive layoffs a few years ago and there really is no more of an advancement.

I graduated from this system as a student, so I have seen the ups and downs throughout my time here.
Pros
great students; my principal and staff
Cons
no chance for advancement, little to no pay