Ace Hardware Employee Reviews

Found 3,333 reviews matching the search See all 3,644 reviews
Fast paced productive style
Order filler (Current Employee) –  Loxley, ALJanuary 15, 2019
Ace is a good company to work for. A typical day at work would be fast paced moving and stacking supplies. I learned to be more proficient with time management while working at Ace. The management crew at Ace were great. They made you feel like family while working there. The hardest part about the job was the pay for my position. Unfortunately I maxed out in pay and was making less than the incoming team members. I mostly enjoyed being apart of a team that makes you feel like you have a family away from your family. Even though it is competitive there, we all would lend a helping hand to help one another at the end of the day.
Pros
Overtime Opportunity, Paid Time Off
Cons
Pay, Benefits
Long Hours, Poor Management
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARNovember 10, 2018
A typical day would be to stock shelves with products received from delivery. I learned this particular workplace culture is very disorganized. Management is complicated and a has become too comfortable, to really care about their employees. They have an extremely high turnover rate due to work conditions and environment. The benefits on health care was the only real award taken away from this employment. Which, is a good thing, since I was hospitalized 3 times this year due to seizures from stress. Only way to survive a job like this is to be in Management.
Pros
Decent Co-Workers and Location
Cons
Short breaks, Extremely Hot conditions, Poor leadership
Work experience depends on LOCATION
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GANovember 19, 2018
Starting pay is 13.55/hr for 2nd shift. The incentive pay is eligible at 90 days if you hit your production number. This pay is ambiguous, diminished, and heavily dependent on the approving manager. In most cases this is enough to buy fuel each week. The Gainesville RSC is poorly managed and filthy. They have rats - mice - bugs - and so much dust you will need to wear a mask. Lots of micro management and the turnover is VERY HIGH. Most incoming employees are young, desperate, with questionable criminal backgrounds. They don’t promote from within, at least for the good high paying jobs. This is a good old boy system where friends of management/corporate swoop in to snag the good jobs. If you are seeking an actual “career opportunity” look elsewhere, as this is a dead end job with minimal opportunity for advancement. Don’t be fooled by their recruiting tactics. The Gainesville, GA location is DESPERATE for help, from anyone willing to apply.
Pros
Decent place to earn weekly pay if you are desperate
Cons
Horrible company culture - pathetic management - high turnover - strict atmosphere
The Original was better
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Concord, MASeptember 15, 2018
The store was more liked when run by the manager that hired me between both the customers and staff of the store and was smoother run before corporate fired him and replaced him with a metaphorical puppet of theirs that did everything exactly by the book, didn't allow overtime, knew next to nothing about the products, and was overall unpleasant to everyone both staff and customers alike. The hardest part of the job was any part after the first manager left. The most enjoyable part of the job the monthly meetings we had while the first manager was still around.
Pros
paid vacations and sick days, decent benefits
Cons
poor management, blurred guidelines
Hardware
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Coral Terrace, FLJanuary 8, 2019
I truly enjoyed my time at Ace, they taught me quite a lot in terms of home improvement and practical day to day skills. They served as my largest inventory and data management background and gave me the skills needed to work at a law firm in the fist place. If the pay was not so low I would go back to work with my friends in a heartbeat, my work there with customers is unparalleled in terms of service. Hardest part of the job was the manual labor of offloading and putting away heavy products, other than that the data management and inventory side of it was quite simple for me. They have excellent managers working there and solid people helping our customers. Again, a great place to work.
Pros
Easy job, easy atmosphere, great coworkers, direct deposit.
Cons
Little pay, little advancement.
Will hire almost anyone due to high turnover rate/management is substandard and ineffective
Stocker and order filler (Former Employee) –  Loxley, ALNovember 24, 2018
Worked there for 10 years and paid way through college. When I first started there it was great and very orderly. As years progress standards dropped as well as the effectiveness of the management staff. I have never known a company to have such a high turnover rate and bring in such inexperienced supervisors and managers. It was not always like this. Left for a lot of reasons but main being they do not want to hire from within the company. It's a good job to have if you want something to have while you look for a more permanent line of work.
Pros
Not worst pay, benefits
Cons
Poor management, outdated and ineffective training, not organized, very high turnover rate, management staff are not equipped to be leaders and over other employees
Fluid work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJanuary 3, 2019
Work days could vary on how many customers came through for supplies, with the hardware department consistently the most busy. Garden work required time spent outside taking care of plants and assisting customers with plant recommendations and moving bags of soil and bark. Work inside involved assisting with basic garden maintenance, pest management, plant care, and general department maintenance.

Floor staff is constantly changing as people leave and are hired, although it always felt like the floor was understaffed. Holidays and especially spring time can be very busy and very fast- paced.

Coworkers are usually pretty easy enough to get along with, although it can be difficult to know everyone in the store between the different departments.
Pros
Employee discounts on in-store purchases, paid vacation time, paid holidays off
Cons
Low minimum wage, little chance for internal advancement. It's retail.
Too stressful
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TX 75051October 7, 2018
Would hardly work with a college student's schedule; although part-time, called in enough to work overtime but was never compensated with overtime pay or raise; coworkers were generally fair to work with; management had habit of calling in less than an hour before a shift started, even if someone called in days before; was called in during classes on numerous occasions.
Pros
Staff can be friendly
Cons
Stiff hours, no overtime compensation, strenuous environment
Great place to work with opportunity for advancement
Content Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJanuary 4, 2019
Ace has great work-life balance and opportunity to work remotely. Most managers provide their employees with training opportunities to improve their knowledge and skills in the workplace.
Pros
benefits, discounts, work-life balance
Cons
upper management
Dishonest
Full Case Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, PADecember 6, 2018
I worked with fantastic, hard working coworkers who all consistently were let down by inept and dishonest management.
Record keeping was terrible.
Work life balance did not exist.
The company played very distinct favorites and only applied policy when they deemed it necessary.
HR is incompetent and frequently would mess up payroll, incentive, and premiums.
The company was deceptive and dishonest. Only paid out 50% incentive to employees without telling them it after rolling out the policy.
Frequent double standards
Tied the hands of supervisors and did not allow them to do their jobs properly.
Absolutely no accountability.
Would work high standard employees until they have nothing left.
Claim an open door policy but retaliate when opinions are expressed.
Frequent 10-12-14-16 hour days FAR exceeding a normal work day.

If I could give HR and management a negative rating, I would. I would not recommend this job. They do not abide by their own standards of behavior. I don’t trust it as far as I can throw it.
Pros
Free peanut butter and jelly sandwich occasionally
Cons
Incompetent HR and dishonest management
Great place to work! People are amazing and strive for great customer sevice.Good benefits and great team.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDNovember 10, 2018
Ace Hardware was a good place to work. The job was not bad at all as far as assistant manager. However, it was next to near impossible to move up in this company from this position. They have great benefits, ESOP, and try to take care of their employees.
Pros
Great place to work. Benefits are good, People are fun to work with.
Cons
Work variety of hours. No room for advancement. Make sure you get on certain peoples good side.
Great place to work while in school
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greenville, RIJanuary 5, 2019
Working at ace was a very helpful experience. I learned a lot about hardware and tools etc. But management and corporate were difficult. After I was promoted I only earned a 15 cent raise. I worked my butt off for them and they never seemed to appreciate it.
Provided a private breakroom
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New Carlisle, OHAugust 14, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of counting in the cashier drawer; keeping cashier area organized while checking out customers; collecting money, as well as, counting back change owed; directing customers to appropritate aisles; using radio communications with co-workers to assist customers in areas of the store the chashier could not stray to; stocking shelfs; pushing promotional advertisements; public relations; counting out the cashier drawer at the end of the shift. I learned many things about tools/things for home improvement and how to solve customers issues. The work place culture was a "team player" atmosphere. The hardest part of the job was learning different types of household repair methods. The most enjoyble part was being the helpful place for people in need for fast/good repair products.
Pros
Being a part of directly supporting/working for local business
Cons
No room for substantial growth as a cashier
They promise all these benefits when you start, but then they disappear.
Breakstock (Former Employee) –  Prescott Valley, AZJune 7, 2018
This job is ok to start, but after a couple months working there they lose all interest in your hard work,they promise advancements in your job but fail to fulfill it, they promise benefits and incentives, but then you start working and get a good pace going and THEN they implement rules that screw you out of incentive and they take almost 1/4 of the weeks pay in taxes, this job and management are a joke, the supervisors and management don’t care because they get salaries and don’t have to count on incentives to pay bills. I WOULD NOT recommend this to anyone.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Everything else
Family friendly workplace.
Superior st. -Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 18, 2018
Ace Hardware is ran by a family, they really take time to get to know you and help out with your needs. Very flexible hours and good atmosphere. Good management.
Pros
Raise every few moths
Cons
Not enough staff
Lots to learn but a fun job
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Macomb, MIAugust 2, 2018
I think this job is a great job for someone who is still in high school or for someone who plans to run the store. It is not a hard job thought there is a lot to learn. I enjoy my days at work but wish I had more hours and more pay. My coworkers are heavenly, always willing to help or even cover shifts when needed. I do enjoy my regular customers as well. Some customers (as with every customer service job) are extremely rude. It is terrible how some of them treat us. But at the end of the day it is a great job, Just doesn't pay the bills.
Pros
Discount, Amazing Coworkers, Helpful staff, You learn stuff you can use at home.
Cons
Customers are rude most times, does not offer full time unless you're a manager, raises are only 10 cents.
Great owner, great management, great co-workers.
Dept. Manager (Former Employee) –  Show Low, AZOctober 16, 2018
busted my butt to become apart of the long term team. made advancement and more responsibilities but hours promised never. came. Able to take any calls, secrete shopper or not, load customers purchases, or problem shoot any project a customer may have. Offsite delivery volunteer, clean store, parking lot and bathrooms with no fuss.
Pros
customer service, customer relations.
Cons
management over whelmed, cannot always see what employees do for the store.
Best retail job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NEDecember 10, 2018
If looking to start a career in retail I Highly recommend this place. The Culture is amazing. I have worked at a few locations over the years and all the people are wonderful. Its fun relaxed setting make for a very stress free environment. They really know how to staff, motivate, and drive their employees to be and feel successful
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
possible closing shift of 9 pm
Ace Hardware is a fun, relaxed place to work with friendly coworkers and customers!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MONovember 25, 2018
Ace Hardware is a great place to work! Hours are flexible, everyone there is very welcoming and friendly! Work can be fast pace at times but most customers are friendly! Pay is fair and raises come around ever 6 months!
Pros
Relaxed, friendly coworkers, good environment
Cons
Hours can be hard to work around at times, pay can start lower than desired
Loved the people u meet there
Floor Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Blairsville, GADecember 1, 2018
Great work enviroment. Definitely would have stayed there if the pay was much better. You start at 8.50 an hour and dont get to many raises and when you do its only a 25 cent raise at a time. The lack of benefits was another big issue. Qe didnt have ANY medical at all. Would be nice to show appreciation to your employees by having a little bit of benefits atleast.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ace Hardware. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K
41.2K

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Ace Hardware.

Powered by Comparably