Ace Hardware Employee Reviews

Found 3,088 reviews matching the search See all 3,381 reviews
Most people only last two weeks
commercial supply (Former Employee) –  La Porte, INSeptember 20, 2018
Extremely high turnover rate. Fast paced, low paying job with management that doesn't care about you. Makes working faced food look appealing.10/10 wouldn't recommend.
Pros
none beyond having a job
Cons
everything
Middle fingers up
Team Lead/Trainer/Operator (Current Employee) –  Yakima, WASeptember 19, 2018
Place sucks kill yourself before you apply if you wanna waste your time and go no where then this is the place for you they want me to keep typing but go figure it out your self if you wanna hate your life
Pros
N/a
Cons
Pay/management/dead end job
poor place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCSeptember 19, 2018
am retired and thought that the new Ace Hardware opening up within walking distance from my house would be a great place to work part time. I only wanted to work 4-6 hours a day, around 20 hours a week. The job itself was not too bad, except for the long hours. I rarely worked less than 6 hours and was going over 30 hours a week. They were short of cashiers so I offered to help out. But all employees are scheduled for a hour long lunch, no matter how many hours they worked that day. So for 6 hours, I was scheduled for 7 with an hour long lunch. I objected to working this many hours and the hour long lunch. I had an email from the General Manager stating part time employees get a half hour lunch. This episode blew up because of another employee. It was handled very badly by management making a phone call while I was working at the cash register. At that time, I took an hour long lunch and emailed by resignation to the GM. I finished off working the last week, but I also realized that they are always short of cashiers and this was not going to change. Training for cashiers was very bad. There were no helpful tutorials. It is just a person who does not want to train, trying to get you to understand everything by working the register for a few hours. Most of the job was simple, but there are things that are not often down and they have no helpful job aides. The computers when down twice while I was there. There are multiple windows to bring up, just to do little things. The software is old and apparently not supported very well by corporate. The scheduling of hours was always late  more... and did not seem to consider when they were the busiest. That resulted in floor people having to work the registers and not being on the floor when they were needed the most.

I liked being helpful to people, instead of just checking them out as quickly as possible. But this business model of having many people on the floor to help customers is also based on cheap, plentiful labor which is not happening anymore. Here is Asheville there are hundreds of cashier jobs, and some are paying much more. They did have more training videos for the floor people, but their pay was also below average. Ace is a franchise, so store management it is only as good as those owning them.
Pros
part time
Cons
low pay and management did not work with me on hours
Learning experience fun job
Paint Dept/Flooring Dept Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ferndale, MISeptember 19, 2018
My job at ace hardware was paint department rep. I helped customers with paint and paint department issues like varnishing, sanding, staining and matching paint colors.
Pros
Family run
Cons
Low wages
A great working environment
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Prague, MNSeptember 17, 2018
A job that required me to stretch outside of my comfort cone and work on problems that I typically would never face. The work environment was great as all employees shared a great camaraderie
fun and productive
Plumbing Sales Specialist/ sales associate (Former Employee) –  Maricopa, AZSeptember 17, 2018
fast paced, friendly environment, hard workers. loved going to work and working with everyone there. helping customers was always a pleasure. sometimes work was slow so it made for a long day.
The Original was better
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Concord, MASeptember 15, 2018
The store was more liked when run by the manager that hired me between both the customers and staff of the store and was smoother run before corporate fired him and replaced him with a metaphorical puppet of theirs that did everything exactly by the book, didn't allow overtime, knew next to nothing about the products, and was overall unpleasant to everyone both staff and customers alike. The hardest part of the job was any part after the first manager left. The most enjoyable part of the job the monthly meetings we had while the first manager was still around.
Pros
paid vacations and sick days, decent benefits
Cons
poor management, blurred guidelines
Fun environment to work in
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Milton, VTSeptember 15, 2018
I held this job while in high school and enjoyed my time there, other than the somewhat low pay I would have liked to stay but economically it was no feasible with the drive time required from my college during the school year.
Productive in a fun work place
Full Case Picker (Former Employee) –  Disputanta, VASeptember 14, 2018
Ace hardware is a good company to work for because the managers not all down your neck while you are working the environment meant is peaceful people not all in your business
Fun and friendly workplace
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Malaeimi, ASSeptember 13, 2018
ACE Hardware is a place where everyone work together as a team. Its a fun, friendly, and a safe place. I have learned alot from ACE, from hardware to being a(n) independent being. Management is a one of a kind, people help one another.
Pros
Family day for the whole company, you bring your family to meet your coworkers family.
Cons
short working hours
Ace is a great place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Port Lavaca, TXSeptember 13, 2018
Loved meeting different people and helping out customers when needed. I learned how to cut Keyes and other hardware. It was always an enjoyable day at Ace
Pros
Got to work the floor and interact with customers
Great job, Low Pay
Traffic Payroll Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lacrosse, WISeptember 12, 2018
I love my job and the people I work with. The pay is just very hard to deal with. No raise after anniversary, just a "merit" raise which was $.22, which was a 2% raise, not enough to cover cost of living increase. Kind of insulting.
Ace was a great place to work.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpena, MISeptember 11, 2018
Great team to work with. Customers were like family and the job was always fun. Always looked forward to going into work daily. Working in a hardware store is a great adventure, always learning,
Pros
Great team.
Cons
Great coworkers and nice job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CASeptember 11, 2018
The job was good. I met some great coworkers and made friends for life and learned a thing or two along the way. Great stepping stone for me to move up in my career.
great people, low pay
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Plumsteadville, PASeptember 10, 2018
was not paid enough for the overwhelming position, often the only cashier working busy shifts becomes very difficult to manage even late at night.....
Young and fun staff
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, ILSeptember 10, 2018
We as a staff were very young compared to the rest of the company but I found that helped us as we all got along, it was easier to communicate to each other and just made for a fun work experience.
Pretty friendly customers
Laborer (Former Employee) –  West Salem, WISeptember 9, 2018
A typical day at Ace Hardware would be lifting 50 or 60 pound bags for customers or to stock the shelving unit. The hardest part of the job was taking care of all of the grunt work when there was always other workers who were able to do it.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Williston, FLSeptember 9, 2018
It was a great experience being employed at Ace Hardware. I learned an extraordinary amount of helpful information at Ace, such as customer service skills that went above and beyond.
underpaid
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bullhead City, AZSeptember 7, 2018
never gives raises - some associates have worked for this Ace for 7 years and still make minimum wage
there is no reason in todays world that a company should lock its employees at NEVER getting a raise
Cons
pay
Its not a career ...
Paint Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 7, 2018
Its not a career it was a job. Manager was never on the floor or present. He had his other floor managers take over the floor. Some days there would be nothing to do. I guess overall its not that bad , It just was not the right fit for me. Although I did meet some amazing people there that I will never forget :)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ace Hardware. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K
41.1K

See reviews about

Diversity score

74out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Ace Hardware.

Powered by Comparably