Achieve Employee Reviews

Its boring place to work at
Resident Aide (Former Employee) –  Endwell, NYJuly 24, 2018
I really didn't learn anything. Management was great until a new management came in. work place culture ok. You have to be careful what you say to people. Helping the individuals. cooking cleaning meeting goals with the individuals.
Pros
you don't go hungry
Cons
passing meds didn't care for it but did it.
Stressful
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYNovember 30, 2018
This was a high stress, high travel required position. The management of the department was unavailable and limited in the ability to communicate with on a regular basis.
rewarding
Achieve/ Residential Aide (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, NYJuly 13, 2018
I love working here. the individuals are amazing and fun to work with. This is a very rewarding job. Scheduling is sometimes an issue. The benefits are good.
Work day
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Binghamton, NYDecember 21, 2018
Attend all medical appointments, schedule all medical appointments, direct care given to residents. Give all medications at scheduled times, check in all medications, documentation on all aspects of the job. Work directly with house nurses.
Ineffective management and stressful culture
EA (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2018
Very stressful environment where employees are expected to navigate the choppy political waters within the organization. The culture is to have meetings and talk about doing things and assume someone in that meeting will do it, which they won't.
Pros
Teleworking, paid time off during the winter holidays, flexible schedule
Cons
Large egos, high stress, ineffectual management and company policies
Great Place To Work
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 17, 2018
Achieve, has been a great place to work. I've been happy to learn and grow as an accountant under two excellent accounting managers. I believe this would be an excellent opportunity for any accountant who wants work-life balance in addition to a decent salary. I've enjoyed my stay here. I've learned a lot about non-profit accounting.
Achieve is a great, productive and fun workplace, there is a great team and family spirit amongst the staff and it provided a great work life balance
Sr. Contracts Administrator (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCMarch 3, 2017
A typical day at Achieve is always exciting as you get to be involved with different facets of education policy everyday, which made each day different and interesting.

The workplace culture is warm and very team oriented.

The hardest part of the job is there is no hard part, it's just a great all around place to work.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the smile on my customer's face in-house of otherwise when they receive the information needed, that was to me the best part of my job at Achieve.
Pros
Great work life balance, great benefits
Cons
Fast paced work environment with poor management and employees
Dining Aide (Former Employee) –  Liberty, NYApril 8, 2018
After working at Achieve, I wouldn’t even place my loved ones in their care. Irresponsible employees, poor management, no balance with shifts. Rooms are dirty, facility stinks.. no quality of care
Fulling job with Adults with Disabilities
Residential Aid (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYJuly 14, 2018
I worked in group homes, day programs, & supportive apartments. I assisted clients with daily activities such as dressing, cleaning, cooking, goals, etc.
Pros
Loved this job & all the exciting activities we got to go on.
Cons
The pay
Interesting place to work
Sr. Accountant/Acting Controller (Former Employee) –  Washington D.C.February 11, 2015
Long hours almost to the stage of abuse. Great benefits, pay scale very fair. If you did not go to a decent credible college they tend to be education snobs. Upper management do not lead well and tend to look down on support staff.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management, class bias, no work life balance
a day to day op
Residential aide (Current Employee) –  Binghamton, NYFebruary 28, 2018
Depends on the day, the weekends are always a 13 -14 hour shift, but shorter shifts through out the week. It can be very stressful. But on a good note, it can be rewarding when the individuals are happy
Pros
finally a pay increase
Achieve
Residence Aide (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYDecember 26, 2012
A typical day working at Achieve would be picking up the individuals from program or school and giving them a snack if wanted.Later on would make dinner, we all usually spend time together going out to the mall or different activities until they were ready for bed. All twelve individuals were very independent. They all had goal they had to work on whether it being set the table on their own or doing their own laundry.Basically practicing on being more independent.I loved working in this house because all the invidividuals were so awesome and the staff as well we were a big family.
Pros
house worked well together
Cons
main management at binghamton office was horrible
Great place to work! Great staff
STEM Consultant - Standards Development (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 31, 2017
Great collaborative environment. Standards development was the learning game. The most enjoyable part of the job was working. Diverse work culture at the time
Pros
people
easy place to work at
Residential Aide (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYApril 23, 2014
Working for ACHIEVE opened up my love for the medical field. Good place to work.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
management needs improvement
steady workplace with job security
Residential aide (Current Employee) –  Binghamton, NYJune 4, 2017
compensation is low though the organization tries to fight for higher state wages. work is typically full time plus. on call staff can pick up a ton of hours and overtime seems unlimited for full timers. the residents are amazing individuals and make it all worth while.
Pros
people
Cons
wages
Amazing Atmospher
Director of Program Operations (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTApril 15, 2015
I have worked for this organization for 15 years, at 30 (my current age) I have learned alot. Its amazing how many children have passed thru the ACHIEVE program. Its always good to serve your community. ACHIEVE has enable many students to succeed thru out the Norwalk Public School System.
Pros
Meeting new faces daily
Cons
Lack of funding due to being a non-profit, long term benefits
over worked and underpaid
Day Habilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYMarch 21, 2017
Don't get me wrong, this job is very rewarding working with this population. However, management is going through massive changes and the work you do is just not worth the tiny paycheck.
Great Place to Work
On-Call Residential Aide (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, NYApril 4, 2015
Achieve offers a lot of different opportunities. Your days are never boring. I have learned a lot of people management skills. It is great helping those who need help.
rewarding job because of the impact and interactions with the consumers
Assistant Residence Manager (Current Employee) –  Broome County, NYAugust 25, 2014
rewarding job because of the impact and interactions with the consumers
Assistant Residence Manager (Current Employee),
Binghamton, NY – August 25, 2014
Pros: meals provided for employees working in the residential deployment
Cons: difficult to take time off due to constant lack of staff, poorly managed department
This is a rewarding job because of the interactions and impact you may have on the individuals. If you can maintain that as your focus, you will likely be successful at this organization.

As far as management goes, it is kind of a train wreck; mismanagement is commonplace. The residential department is poorly handled from middle management on up (you're only able to be as good as the management, right). The middle management is not monitored sufficiently or given repercussions when things are mishandled. The higher management's focus is on all the wrong things, not the individuals being served. Management's problem-solving skills are pedestrian at best. The new department head has only underwhelmed me at every interaction.

Middle management is not required to have much/any higher education at all, and it shows in many decisions, interactions, responses to issues that arise.

Opportunities for upward movement do exist, but accomplishing that upward movement is nearly impossible, in my experience. Overtime is always available if you're willing and interested; the department is perpetually understaffed.

I am constantly looking to move on, and I won't be looking back except in regards to the nice relationships that have blossomed between myself and some
  more... of the individuals I support.  less
Pros
meals provided for employees working in the residential deployment
Cons
ACHIEVE puts greater emphasis on the people being provided services and a staff's' worth is according to a budget. Who can be cut next?
Social Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYFebruary 12, 2013
The days at ACHIEVE are usually hectic. You never know who will be calling off and where you will be working. Anything can happen on a given day such as people having a behavior, personal care needs to attend too, making sure people are safe and well supervised, making sure they are engaged in meaningful activities, going on well meaning volunteer placements, and receiving other services such as OT, PT, and speech. At all mealtimes, staff set-up & prepare individuals' foods according to dietary guidelines set by the dietician. Some peoples' food need to be cut into bite sized pieces, chopped, or pureed. If individuals have any urine and bowel issues, they need to be doned in clean clothes and soiled clothes washed. Core rooms are cleaned. Service plans for each individual is implemented, recorded, and keyed into the computer. Before program begins and when it ends, attendance during transportation needs to be taken and bus aides get ready to ride the buses. Then there are meetings and paperwork to be done.

What I have learned is that all people have the same wants, needs, and desires regardless of disabilities, diagnosis (medical, mental, & behavioral), limited receptive and expressive abilities, and intellectual competency, It is knowing the person and validating the person that builds trust and a longlasting relationship.

There seems to be clicks at the management level as well amongst other workers. Nobody is truly safe. I have seen upper management going through people's work when they are not there and coworkers squealing on other people to them.

There are a lot of good
  more... caring and hardworking coworkers.

The hardest part of the job Is knowing where you will be needed to work for the day or at all.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the intellectually impaired and developmentally disabled people and making their lives better.
Pros
enhancing other peoples' lives.
Cons
opportunity for growth with training is unavailable, more emphasis on what was done wrong, like to write people up.