Achievement Centers for Children Employee Reviews

Extremely difficult position
Roving Aid (Former Employee) –  Highland Hls, OHOctober 18, 2018
ACC has some great programs for people but the Autism School is EXTREMELY understaffed and you are paid close to nothing for dealing with behaviors all day long. This job is high stress and there is not a moment in the day where you will feel at ease. If they would staff properly in classrooms that need it desperately, there would not be such a terrible turnover rate. Think twice before accepting a job here - it was not what I thought it was going to be. Also, when you approach management about your concerns, you will never get a clear cut answer or solution for problems.
Pros
paid vacations/sick days
Cons
understaffed, underpaid, lack of resources
Horrible Place to Work
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHJuly 13, 2018
HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT. You're treated extremely poorly (staff and children/adults with disabilities), promised things and nothing ever happens. You work like a dog and never even get a thank you. Pay is horrible for this place. Managers do not care what you have to say, they're only bias to the the person they like the most.
Official response from Achievement Centers for Children
July 16, 2018

ACC's pay for the Direct Care Position is $11/hr, which is much higher than the industry average. The Agency offers full benefits for this position (medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, flexible spending and a generous 6-8 percent contribution toward 403B retirement savings plan in addition to ample paid time off). Management is always open to questions and comments, as well as constructive criticism when it is brought to their attention. Achievement Centers for Children consistently receives 5 star ratings from both former and current employees.

Rewarding and Fun work environment
Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHApril 3, 2018
The achievement centers for children is the most rewarding job I have ever had. To help the families and clients themselves is one of the best feelings in the world. It is a tough job but so much more than a job.
ACC is a GREAT place to work!
Behavioral Health Specialist/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 18, 2018
ACC is a little secret nestled across from Warrensville HS (main location) and I am so glad I found it! I have been a manager at ACC since 2017, but unfortunately I am needing to relocate due to personal reasons. However, if I could take ACC with me, I surely would...

I have benefited greatly from my time at ACC. The consistent warmth, friendly and collaborative work environment is definitely one of kind, especially in the social service realm. I have learned so much and have bared witness to the true power of resiliency through counseling clients and/or their families to observing a child, while walking to the bathroom, learn how to use an assistive device through therapy services. I have learned so much about the special needs population, the overall system of care and have heard countless testimonies of how much ACC has impacted so many lives and continue to do so. Its inspiring to come to work, to see individuals overcoming life challenges through every step (literally) that's taken as well as to be amongst dedicated and professional individuals helping to make that change occur. Its a great place to call work!
Pros
work/life balance, friendly and professional work environment, see the impact and benefits of your work, in which you are a valued team member.
Cons
An amazing agency with passionate employees
Early Childhood Mental Health Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Westlake, OHJanuary 12, 2018
I began as a Master's level Social Work Intern in September 2016 in the ACCENT Family Support program. I received top notch supervision and learned valuable information about the field I was studying. In June 2017, shortly after earning my degree, I was offered a position in the Early Childhood Mental Health (ECMH) Social Work program. Achievement Centers values their interns and employees.

As an ECMH home visitor, some days were laid-back and others were rushed. As I became acquainted with my new role, my supervisor and colleagues were readily available to lend a hand. If I was behind on a deadline, my supervisor supported me with identifying which next steps I should take. At Achievement Centers, ensuring that everyone has an opportunity to succeed is a value that is integrated into the very foundation of the agency.

The hardest part of working at Achievement Centers was the struggles that some of our clients experienced. We work with a wide range of families and some of their struggles can be difficult to hear of and observe. However, assisting families with finding their inner strengths, identifying social/community supports, and seeing the progress they are all capable of was a truly rewarding experience.

Leaving Achievement Centers was a truly difficult decision for me to make. I had enjoyed nearly every aspect of my employment there. Ultimately, I resigned from my position because a position at another agency, with which I had been well acquainted, provided me an opportunity to work in a different type of social work role. Achievement Centers is a top notch agency
  more... which I would certainly encourage student interns and job seekers to apply at.  less
Pros
Reasonable billing targets, supportive workplace, flexible hours (for ECMH), adherence to their mission statement
Fun environment to work in
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Strongsville, OHNovember 11, 2017
The Achievement Centers is a camp for persons with disabilities. My campers and I participate in a number of activites such as, hiking, swimming, art, horse back riding, and other outdoor games and sports.
Excellent Agency and People
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  WestlakeAugust 18, 2017
Committed and professional staff devoted to achieving the agency's mission. Clients success is the ultimate goal. Management cares for its employees. Good work life balance.
Great place
Counselor, Camp Cheerful (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHAugust 2, 2017
Best summer job while in college I have ever had! This place gave me the greatest experience of my working career. If you like working with kids, this is your place!
Pros
Fun
Cons
Stress
Terrible Management and Poor Health and safety
Special Educational Needs, Summer Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 22, 2017
I worked here over the summer 2-3 years ago as a residential member of staff. I was the only staff member with special educational needs experience and the training provided was minimal. I worked 24-7 with no breaks....this included taking clients to the bathroom throughout the night, so sleep was minimal. Activities for the clients were limited and dull. Due to the terrible management and organisation, many accidents and incidents occurred and clients and staff health and safety were at risk.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no/little sleep, minimal training, terrible managment
Favorite Place I ever worked!
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHJune 8, 2017
I loved everything about working at the Achievement Centers. Being a camp counselor was the best job I have ever had. There is nothing I can say bad about the place.
Adaptive Sports
Adapted Sports Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Strongsville, OHJanuary 20, 2017
Great place to work! I started as an intern and still work in the adaptive sports program. It is a wonderful experience to help get kids active. It is mostly on the weekends so it is a wonderful part time job.
Worked thee for 7 years and worked with all ages of children.
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 23, 2016
The staff was like a family. We had a good work schedule and the parents of the children were like our family. Ages ranges from 3 months to 11 years old.
A Great Place to work!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Highland Hills, OHFebruary 10, 2016
Achievement Centers for Children is a great place to work. Their mission resonates with me and the people who work here are passionate, friendly and professional.

ACC has 3 locations: Highland Hills, Westlake and Strongsville and all of the facilities are beautiful and are well tended to. It makes me happy to know that my work makes a difference to children with disabilities. There are many opportunities here, and you can grow with the company. The management team is open minded and friendly, and teams work well together for the common goal.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Hard work, but definitely made a difference in people's lives.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHApril 26, 2014
When I first started there, I worked as a residential camp counselor, so I essentially lived at camp for the summer. This made balancing life outside of camp difficult. However, getting to stay the week and overnight with the campers really strengthened our bonds with them. In fact, we usually had campers sign up for more than one session because they enjoyed themselves so much. It was hard work though, taxing both mentally and physically because we were working with special needs persons. Most of the residential campers were wheelchair bound which definitely made things difficult at times. Unfortunately we were almost always understaffed, which made getting everyone up, dressed, fed, and onto the various activities a challenge at times, but overall, you learn patience, you learn to be flexible, as well as how to have fun. We of course had to learn vague medical knowledge in order to properly care for our individual campers.
Pros
Got to go swimming almost every day
Cons
short staffed, poor quality equipment
Loved the kids
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Highland Hills, OHApril 14, 2014
I liked it just want to begin my career. The kids and parents was great, I loved my co-workers also.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Achievement Centers for Children. Our community is ready to answer.

Achievement Centers for Children Reviews by Location