Aclara Technologies Employee Reviews

Amazing job
Installation Technician (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCDecember 28, 2018
Great management and awesome crew to work with
I love this job I get to travel to many new places and meet new people every day. and safety is a main priority for a successful job and I love it .

the company is more then willing to help provide you with the tools and equipment for your job and pay is great . Get in 40-50hrs a week and have a great incentive for installers.
I never knew I could wake up and wanna go to work
I've made a lot of friends with this company some have relocated to new projects and I miss them dearly

I plan to make a career out of this job and wanna retire from it one day .
Pros
Paid for holidays and great management and crew is awesome teamwork is phenomenal
Cons
I need new tablet lol jk no cons about this job
You get out what you put in
Assistant Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2018
The management team is extraordinarily helpful providing mentoring, education and aid when asked. On-boarding is daunting, if you've never been a career in the elecrical field. On-boarding documents are in excess of 100 pages of reading material and up to 6 months of video education, not including the hands on education provided. This job, similair to life - you get out of it, what you put into it. If you expect to get by on what you've done yesterday, you will not be successful today.
Pros
Good pay, great benefits
Cons
Project work
on a shedule fast paced
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJanuary 12, 2019
It was a temporary job , managers were friendly in staten island but I felt I needed more training or if I needed something it took the managers like 2 hrs to come and bring me a new tablet . The managers were nice but I soon realized it was one manager would blame each other for things like if I had a issue matt would said "Jeff was supost to take care of the issue.
when job ended I was on unemployment ,than I was transferred to berlin n.j. that was horrible I was exstreamly upset very unconfortable the lady there was so nasty everyday saying very mean stuff I reported her I even called the company complaint line I could not do my job because being unconfortable than I got fired
Pros
broken materials
Cons
steady work
Arbitrary punishment and reward
Meter Installer (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCJune 18, 2018
The job itself is relatively easy remove old meter put new meter in .It's the toxic culture of the company that makes it an extremely difficult place to work. Pay is based on nothing more than favoritism and punishments are dolled out in the same manner . If you are not planning on traveling with this company you will have zero future with it. If you need a temporary fill in job and absolutely nothing else is hiring go for it . Usual day consists of a meeting where the supervisors pay lip service to safety but in reality are telling you do whatever to get the job done just done just don't get caught otherwise you will be thrown under the bus. Quotas are pulled out of thin air and nothing is taken into account such as driving times to the destinations . I was told by a supervisor that I should work through my lunch hour which is unpaid . My advice look elsewhere for a better job .
Pros
paypay
Cons
heat rain dogs irate customers incompetent management
Only speaking for Seattle - Installer
Installer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 23, 2018
I've worked for Aclara in Seattle since October 2017. I don't know what's going on in other cities or what people expect from a company but Seattle is awesome. The management gets crazy quota from corporate and fight tooth and nail to get those numbers reasonable. They have our back and it shows. The pay is GREAT. The team works together like nothing I've ever seen before. If one installer has an issue, he/she sends a text and gets multiple responses from installers and supervisors almost immediately saying "on the way". We work 4 ten hour days so we get long weekends. No vacation time but I don't expect it for a 18 month project. I can go on and on but all and all, they treat us right. As another Aclara reviewer posted "just do your job". If you do your job and you still don't like how things are going...kick rocks until you find to what suits you. I wish the project was longer but it's a great experience.
Pros
Management, crew, pay, benefits, 4-10's
Cons
No vacation time, occasional difficult customers, occasional bad weather
Stressful and fast paced
Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 19, 2018
Friendly work environment and good people
Alcara is a fast-paced work environment, always looking to improve themselves
Competitive salary, relaxed work environment
Terrible Managmenent & Environment
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MONovember 28, 2017
CEO & crew made sweeping changes when they came aboard a few years ago. Nothing has been developed in several years, and now they are floundering and trying to reverse course on their own changes. They have created a culture of fear and one that encourages backstabbing and dishonesty.

They use the open office concept as a façade to save money on office furniture.

VPs are dishonest and are continually trying to undermine each other so they can take over more departments. The asininity would be amusing if good employees weren't affected by the pathetic and dishonest behavior
Pros
Typical Corporate Benefits
Cons
Ridiculous lies and backstabbing created by latest CEO's culture
Great place to work if you are willing to relocate
Utility Field Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 6, 2018
Aclara has been a remarkable company to be employed with with good compensation and as a field supervisor, you are assigned a vehicle that, if you choose to, you may drive home and to work with.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
none from my point of view
Aclara was a great opportunity
Meter Installer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 5, 2018
I really enjoyed working for Aclara, and my managers were really great. They were reasonable and fairly understanding.
The work was great and enjoyable. Pacific Power was building a smart grid, and the installation of smart electric meters was the last part of their smart grid.
The day would begin with a morning safety meeting. These meetings were to discuss safety hazards, production goals for the week.
After the meeting I loaded up my inventory of smart meters into our company vans that Aclara provided. Then we drove to the area according to our handheld workflow.
I would have to knock on the customers door, to give them a moment to shut off computers and be prepared to loose power for a moment while I install the new meter.
The job was outside in all weather, and because Oregon can rain for nine months straight, we didn't typically stop for adverse weather.
Pros
Great Pay, Great people to work with.
Cons
Had to work away from home, and the contract was only going to last a couple years
I love this job.
Meter Installer (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCDecember 28, 2018
Our manager is amazing. He goes out of his way for us. The crew I work with helps each other, all it takes is a text or a phone call and someone is on there way. We recently lost some crew members that were relocating. We all miss them tremendously. You end up with great friends and I didn't expect that when I started this job. As a female I have never had a complaint about any of my coworkers. We get to travel and work in different places I absolutely love it.
Pros
An hour for lunch, coworkers, gas cards and company trucks.
Cons
I would love a new tablet. 😍
Great Company that was bought out so everyone got laid off
Manufacturing Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHSeptember 10, 2018
Great Company - We got bought out and it went downhill fast - I understand they are on the mend now under good decent management. Great company for support and mentor-ship. Great Teamwork environment.
Dont work for them in the Memphis tn project
Gas (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 18, 2018
The company has great intentions for everyone who work for them. But the managers in the Memphis, TN project is a very bad manger and only do for the ones he may like and it's not that many of them he likes. Also the hire some managers to run a project who never change out a meter in there life are have done the job. The manger at the project never likes to use other people who knows how to do the job only because he dont like them. What cost the project to fail because of skin color. But over all the company is good but the managers are very poor managers very bad
Pros
Benefits, off days and a chance to get certified
Cons
Bad managers with no experience
Not a bad place to work
Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Solon, OHAugust 21, 2018
Nice location. Comfortable. Needs a makeover. Management is Cheep and won't spend Money on the lower 80% of us. Could really use a reorganization.
Pros
relaxed
Cons
Is past do for a reorganization.
Columbus location great place to work Steubenville location terrible more people are hired and Quit than stay
Meter Installer (Former Employee) –  Steubenville, OHMarch 29, 2018
The Job was good and enjoyable the Columbus location is a better place to work for great team and supervisors there. Steubenville location was terrible. Supervisor was rude and not and does not deserve to be in management possition. Does not shop compassion or respect to any employees. not concerned about safety or concerns of fellow employees only cares about messing with his paycheck. several complaints were made about the supervisor and management did nothing,
Pros
Loved working in Columbus
Cons
Steubenville location worst place I haveever worked, Suprvisor rude and unperfesional . Cared only about his paycheck not employees or there safety
Horrible place to work for. Project manager is a racist and show favoritism on routes
Head Trainer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 15, 2018
Project manager is racist. If you ain't black you will not succeed with them, managers are a joke. You argue amongst themselves on who's in charge. You are yelled at when you dont hit numbers, job is a joke for low pay avoid at all cost
Pros
Your own vehicle for the day
Cons
Everything else
Contract company
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 22, 2018
Working with this company I saw many times where the voices of frustrated fellow co-workers were not listened to, this seemed to lead to many people leaving or not feeling motivated to show up to work.
Pros
get to work on your own
Cons
things seemed unethical, work that was done was not paid for, paychecks have been held unless we met production
N/a
Technical Support Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOApril 6, 2018
My days at Aclara consisted of taking calls from all outside sources. We were the call center, and I was told that I would be Technical Support Software Engineer in the beginning. This was not the case, unfortunately. I did call transfers and took all calls that had nothing to do with my profession. Everyone their was very nice, but what I did made my days terrible. I felt like I wasn't earning my paycheck and just doing mindless activities.
Pros
Free Lunches, good compensation
Cons
Bad supervision, no overall goal
Toxic Workplace, Stay Away!
Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 26, 2017
what I learned: what have not to do for success. In this company, I have been witnessing deep failures because of the bad strategies and toxic work environment. By watching these, I learned how bad decisions and strategies can lead valuable resources and opportunities to deep failures.

management: unclear, uneducated decision making, unfaithful, confused, always-in-rush, very resistant to change, very intolerant different ideas, and no long investment in employees in general.

workplace culture: old-school, very conservative, toxic, bullying, and sexist. No long term investment for research and innovation except only talking about it. The fear of getting fired is always on the air everywhere. Very stressful environment which could be even seriously harmful for your health.
Pros
some benefits
Cons
life-work balance, work environment, room for advancement
hours and pay were good getting laid off ,and being relocated disliked
Meter Installer (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYOctober 17, 2018
I loved working The managers were nice but, alot of aquitment was broken and it was the companies fault. we waited around so long if we had to get a new tablet .
Pros
friendly crew
Cons
when they say they will reinbrust u money they dont
It’s a dangerous job if your into playing with live voltage
Meter Installer (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCMay 30, 2018
When I was working there it was long hrs cause I was doing what I was told you start at 7 am with a meeting that last about 40 minutes long if you get there early like I did you load up your truck and after meeting you leave last meter originally was 4 pm and about time you got back to shop unloaded your truck and punched out it was 6:30 pm and then you worked till 4 pm which was the same routine but they changed again last meter is 3 but still have to drive back an hr so after all is said about 5 pm you where home
Pros
My manager, coworkers, pay
Cons
No protection even for the females

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aclara Technologies. Our community is ready to answer.