ACLD Employee Reviews

I liked working there
Day Habilitation Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYApril 9, 2018
the people were nice and i liked the individuals, I enjoyedth working with the individuals. Helping them to do what they struggle with,Everyone I wored with was very friendly and helpful. The people i worked with have always been supportive and willing to work in teams
Pros
flexibility in the work day
Cons
salary
what i learned
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYMarch 20, 2018
What I learned about working at this company is not to trust everyone around you, and to always keep your commits to yourself, try to apply and move up in the company
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
short breaks
Management needs work
Vocational (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYMarch 19, 2018
The job itself is great but upper management is what made me dislike my job. I loved all individuals I worked with very much and they actually were what drove me to continue with the company for so long. Management though is very shady and will push extra tasks on you that are unnecessary and will mess with your actual work performance because it is too much to deal with. Very sad when you love your actual job but poor management could make you not enjoy it.
Great place to work in!
Behavior Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bayshore NYFebruary 12, 2018
ACLD is a great place to work with such caring and very informed professionals who truly care about the individuals they are working with. There is alot of team work involved and the supervisors are always there to guide you.
Good place to start especially if you’re new to the field.
Day Hab Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYDecember 4, 2017
Upper management plays favorites but loved the individuals. They made my day because no matter how things went they smiled and enjoyed things that we take for granted. It’s just frustrating to see the nepotism and gossip that goes on in Hauppauge and nothing is done about it.
Pros
Hours, paid holidays, benefits, Supportive knowledgeable HR team.
Cons
Mngmt plays favorites, will target you if they don’t like you.
Great atmosphere with great people!
Program Aide (Current Employee) –  Bay Shore, NYNovember 26, 2017
This job has given me many invaluable experiences that have helped shape me as a person. Through this job I have discovered my career path and what I am most passionate about!
Pros
enlightening
Cons
low pay
Enjoyed my time there.
Day Habilitation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYNovember 6, 2017
I worked at ACLD for five years. During that time I felt that my relationship with our individuals made the job most rewarding.
I gained insight on how to help a population of individuals with varied learning and developmental disabilities.
Productive and fun workplace
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 16, 2017
This place is full of nice people, good management and low classroom ratios. The most enjoyable thing about this job is the hours and students, they really grow on you.
Pros
School hours
Cons
low pay and not apart of PSERS
Not a bad company to work for
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYSeptember 18, 2017
Plenty of overtime if you want to work,
Provide Clients with ADL
Hardest part o the job is the people you work with mostly young people and most are lazy
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
Most of staff lazy, my house was very hands on, clients were bed ridden
convenient happy place
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Thomaston, NYSeptember 13, 2017
residential home was very convenient to my home hours were wonderful until my youngest child started school.. convenient for me to go to school as well
its fun interacting with the people we serve
Day Habilitation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYSeptember 4, 2017
ACLD is an excellent place to work, to gain experience, however there is not much room for moving up the career ladder. At ACLD it entails a lot of driving, nevertheless we work hard in ensuring that the people we serve work toward their goals, as well as being more independent. we incorporate a lot of vulonteer work, and arts and crafts on a daily basis.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low pay rate
DSP (Current Employee) –  Huntington Station, NYSeptember 3, 2017
Great experience loved working there learned so much from individuals. Management and staff very helpful we definitely helped each other to make it a great workplace
Dysfunctional
Registered Nurse - Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYAugust 30, 2017
No leadership offered, workplace is unsafe for staff and patients. Attempts to address issues are ignored by management. Nepotism and cronyism are abundant.
Dsp
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  East Meadow, NYAugust 24, 2017
-Relaxed enviroment, the people their depending on your house can work with your and half may not.

-The individuals you work with will allow you to develope in this field depending on the house you work at.
Pros
Nice amount of hours, flexible shift time
Cons
Pay is bad, hours can be limited during summer
It is a very pleasant place to work.
Nutritionist (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYAugust 22, 2017
Management is fair and everyone is nice with a great energy for the people we serve. A day is typical of any type of health care facility where there are changes in care for the people we serve. We formulate in many trainings.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Partial payment for health care/
unsupportive
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYAugust 7, 2017
Great employees make you fell like you work with family. Without a degree there are little to no opportunities for advancement. The supervisory staff does not offer much assistance, only directions while most only carry a degree and little to no field /real life experience working with individuals yet think that their ideas are best without consulting the staff that works and dedicates themselves to the care and assistance they provide to the individuals. often short staffed resulting in stress on the employees and individuuals.
Pros
staff
Cons
poor supervisory support
High Turn Over Rate
Day Habilitation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYAugust 2, 2017
This field in general is not paid well enough.
If you're looking to advance in this company it is hard
Great job to gain experience but not a long term place of work
Cons
Short Breaks, Workload exceeds expectations
Stressfull
Residential manager (Current Employee) –  MelvilleJuly 13, 2017
This company slaves their employees and doesn't have it together. Management does not properly train employees and holds them accountable for small mistakes that they were never trained on. It's just about money to this agency they do not care about the wellbeing of the residents.
Cons
Nice people to work with
Art Therapist (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJuly 1, 2017
Nice people to work with. As a Creative Art Therapist I had the wonderful opportunity of working with very talented individuals who greatly enjoyed participating in therapeutic multimedia art therapy directives as we created an animation based on their art.
Pros
Individuals very happy to create art for special animations
Cons
Lack of staff prevented the individuals from fully engaging in their projects
Stressful workplace
Day habilitation specialist (Current Employee) –  HauppagueJune 22, 2017
It's very stressful working at the dayhab in hauppague. Huge turn over rate. Management is changed frequently. You are never in a stable room. You are constantly moved. You drive all day.
Pros
Getting to know the people that we serve
Cons
Short staffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ACLD. Our community is ready to answer.