ACRT, Inc. Employee Reviews

If your future isn't looking at trees
Consulting Utility Forester (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 3, 2018
Job can be fairly stressful, especially when we fall behind. The number one concern between everyone is we don't get paid enough for what we have to deal with. You start at 14, have the chance to get a dollar raise early on, and don't expect anything else. Unless you either want to become a certified arborist or already are one.
Pros
Set days, 4-10 Hr Days, Benefits
Cons
No raises, stressful
Excellent Job that plays an important part in keeping our state safe.
Consulting Utility Forester (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 23, 2018
Working as a Consulting Utility Forester (CUF) is a great job, with great co-workers that are always wiling to help you grow and learn in your position. However, management is not so pleasant. It is the primary topic of conversation among the CUFs about how poor the management is. I experienced this firsthand when I followed my training to a "T" and even had help from coworkers on a judgement call for a tree removal prescription, and management reprimanded me for doing the job "too well," which left my coworkers and me scratching our heads. Management is confusing and constantly contradicting the training they give you. Other than that, the job is an excellent position.
Pros
Good hours, working outdoors, friendly coworkers
Cons
Poor/cut-throat management
ACRT - Great Company
Business Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 7, 2018
Often times companies talk the talk, but do not walk the walk. ACRT is not one of those companies. When they say they are an Open Door company...they mean it. When they say Safety First...they live it. When you are on the team, you are family.
ACRT Pacific is great work experience
Senior Cunsulting Utility Forester (Current Employee) –  Sonora, CAJuly 28, 2018
While working outdoors you work independently and collectively in your daily duties. Opportunities do occur in other areas of the job to gain experience to move up in the company.
Do not work for or contract with this company
Work Planner (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 17, 2018
This is simply the worst-run utility consulting company in the business. They barely pay their employees enough to make a living and anyone with any promise gets treated like a threat to the immediate supervisor's aspirations for advancement in the company. I got fired from the company after telling my manager/regional supervisor via text that I needed to be off for a couple of days due to a documented illness as it was interfering with my productivity because I was having to use to restroom so often. He responded to me, acknowledging that need and ok'd it. When I came back to work, he came rolling up to my work site with another employee with the intent to fire me and collect my vehicle. It was if I had not said anything to him whatsoever and that was how he played it off to the contracting company as well. He also had a list of gps coordinates for my vehicle. He brought up a time about a month prior when I spent over an hour at a restaurant for lunch, which would've been a legitimate issue had I not been working through the lunch, updating the large paper maps on the table rather than in the confines of my little mini work truck. Also, the data collection device I was given had poor battery life and a charger with a short in it. I requested replacements for over a month via texts, emails and phone calls to get it corrected, but I could not get anyone to take it seriously. My choices were to drive to the home office 45 minutes away and hope there was a coworker available with a functional charger and cord available long enough to get enough of a charge to get me through the  more... work day or babysit the unit for 2 hours every morning at home, plugged into the wall outlet and wiggling the cord every couple of minutes when it would lose contact and quit charging. After going to the home office several times and not finding a coworker available to help, I found it more consistent to wake up super early and wiggle the cord, paying attention to the total charge until it increased enough to get me through most of the day. When it didn't last, I'd write everything through the end of the day on paper and spend my evening or first part of the following work morning inputting the data. There were several days that dealing with the charging issues constituted a 'late' start based upon when I started my work vehicle, but since I had communicated the issue to my regional manager on multiple occasions, I didn't believe it was a problem. Fast-forwarding to the day of my dismissal, the regional manager, after lying to the contracting company about me informing him of my absence beforehand, used this against me, saying that I falsified my time sheet in order to justify my firing. At this point, I trusted no one in ACRT and felt like no one in upper management would be approachable. I considered taking it to the contracting company, but began thinking about all of my coworkers with families they were trying to support and one employee in particular had cancer. She was counting on the insurance the company provided to get her through. Being single and having no dependants, I decided it was better to take the punch on the chin than to jeopardize the contract for all those good people. Eventually though, ACRT did lose that contract to their ineptitude and those jobs were saved by another utility consulting company that kept on anyone that wanted to stay, thank God.  less
Pros
None good enough to work for ACRT
Cons
Poor management, dishonesty, rampant corruption
Horrible management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 14, 2018
Managers are fast tracked that shouldn't but because of the constant turnover and stressful nature of the supervisory positions quality employees don't want to move up or leave the company. Managers throw lower level employees under the bus for their mistakes. Pay is weak. Most supervisors sit at their desk watching fleet apps and watching everyone's moves. The managers give misinformation and then expect everyone to lie to pge about these mistakes as they collect their bonuses.
Pros
Truck. Some automous freedom.
Cons
Low pay. Stressful. Poor benefits. Horrible managers. Constant turnover. No support.
A great place to start a career
Consulting Utility Forester (Former Employee) –  TennesseeMarch 7, 2018
Great place to start a career, but probably not a good long term option. The pay in this industry not very good. Not bad, but not good either. Depending on your contract, ACRT is a great place to work.. You treated like a person, not a number. ACRT is great about working with its employees in realizing that you do have a life outside of work to attend to. If you love the outdoors, and getting to meet a lot new people, ACRT is great. The work culture is great. Everyone from top down are personable and fair.
I would recommend this company to anyone.
The down side is that this IS contract work. Loss of contract to a competitor will mean relocating if want to stay on board. The insurance is not very good. There is not much room to advance.
Overall, a great start!!!
Pros
Company truck, Great work culture
Cons
Insurance is not very good, Not much room for advancement, Pay is just okay
A great place to learn fundamentals
Consulting Utility Forester (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 22, 2018
A good place to work, overall good environment. Opportunity to take on special projects and train new employees. The job as a whole is not extremely difficult, but does require attention to detail.
Great experience depending on your region
Consulting Utility Forester (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAFebruary 17, 2018
Team Bay Area is where it's at. Laid back environment, great coworkers, and generally easy work locations. We like our managers, even on the PG&E side. Alternative workweek schedules (AWS) allow flexibility and a good work-life balance. Even without it, work-life balance is good since you're not expected to take your work home. AWS also gives you plenty of room to work overtime (up to 18 hours a week usually), which has been available for over half of the time I've worked here ($$$).

That being said, pay and benefits could use a lot of work. They bumped the starting rate from $14 to $17/hr in 2016/beginning of 2017, but I think only for the Bay Area. You accrue vacation hours (40 hours max your first year, 80 after your second), only get 3 sick days for an entire year, and get 8 paid holidays. No employer match for 401k.

The classroom trainings during your first few days are useless, so I can see why some people complain about lack of training. But in all honesty, this is not a difficult job. You learn the most in the field anyway, and I was always made to feel comfortable asking for more help. You're given all the freedom you want as long as you get your work done.

In all, I've really enjoyed my time at ACRT. I hope other regions can figure out what's making their employees so unhappy, because reading their reviews before I accepted this job almost turned me away from working here. I'm really glad I didn't.
Pros
Company truck, gas card, Aws, flexibility, independence, great views, great people, (some) paid drive time, friendly animals, dogs
Cons
Inadequate benefits, low pay, summer heat, mean dogs
Acrt,inc
Utility Forester (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 9, 2018
ACRT is a great place to work, but they need to pay there employees more and upper management needs improvement. Benefits aren't to bad. Hours are great.

Want to know more about ACRT, Inc.?

Ask a question
Not a good company
Consulting utility forester (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJanuary 8, 2018
Management and training is non existent ..ACRT hires you for contracts with utilities and expects them to train you,which they do not like. Typical day is going up and down power lines trying to figure out what the utility company wants.
Do not work for this company if you can help it. Benefits and pay is just ok at best. The utility is paying more than double for you to ACRT. They are currently losing large contracts they have had for years , leaving employees out in the cold. And not to mention the lawsuits they are constantly involved in.
Pros
Good people to meet at the utility companies
Cons
Expected to second guess the managers with little training. And no feedback
Not the best
CUF (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 3, 2018
The pay is terrible but it is pretty relaxed. They hire based off of quantity not quality. Outrageous turn-over rate do to not financially motivating their employees.
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Terrible Pay
Contract work
Utility Forester (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 1, 2018
good job, but contract work so no job security. We worked in this contract for 15 years so that shows the kind of work that was done to keep a contract this long.
Steady work. Company truck
Consulting Utility Forester (Former Employee) –  Placerville, CADecember 15, 2017
Fun outdoor work. Not much pay. Ohio office is out of touch with California reality. Too profit driven, they don't care about innovation or retraining employees. .
Pros
Truck, gas card
Cons
Low pay
Self-Motivator
Consulting Utility Forester (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 9, 2017
The company does a poor job in training. Such a poor job that when you are left on you're own, you may not know what to do. Management can also be poor because communication with your supervisor varies which can lead to you not be able to do your job in an efficient manner. Overall, if the company had regulations put in place that made sure that every forester was ready to go and do the job on their own, then the company is fantastic. The people are great to work with. With great benefits and hard work, there is room to grow in the company. It's the extremely poor management in this company that prevents people to do their best which can result in poor employee review.
Cons
Poor management
Great team to work with.
Database Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Merced, CANovember 5, 2017
Enjoyed working on this very professional team. Our team was a contractor for a Utility company and the professionalism was amazing between all contractors and the Utility company.
Poor Managment
Consulting Utility Forester (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAOctober 17, 2017
They promote only friends or buddies that hang out. Good supervisors are out numbered 2 to 10. Low pay, poor communications, lack of appreciation for its workers, only good thing about this company is your fellow co-workers.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
low pay, poor management, poor benefits, favoritism
Senior Consulting Utility Forester (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 7, 2017
awesome employer to work for.Pay is decent per the industry..good benefits.upwardly mobile company in terms of advancement.pays bonuses. great people!
Pros
bonus, travel, fun place ..fun people to work for.
Cons
small raises
Terrible place to work
Consulting Utility Forester (Former Employee) –  New EnglandOctober 6, 2017
This company is all about the money and does NOT care about the future development of their employees. The work is incredibly boring and management does nothing to increase morale among employees. They will promise you increases in pay and advancement opportunities, but they will never come. One manager for the entire east coast is completely ridiculous. If you have an education and are looking for work, look elsewhere because this is not where you want to be.
Pros
Company vehicle, gas card
Cons
poor management, low pay, no future advancement
Poor management
Consulting Utility Forester (Current Employee) –  New EnglandSeptember 24, 2017
The operations managers and the people above them only care about company profits and not the employees. The company preaches safety, but when it come down to it they don't give you the tools you need to be successful and safe. If you ask for any safety equipment you get denied and told what you have is fine even if worn out. Ex. Truck tires, safety vests.

The company has no interest in compensating employees for their hard work, and would just rather bring in new people to keep costs low. I have seen employees be there multiple years without receiving a single rainse or any other sort of compensation. If you work any overtime even with prior approval from the utility you are interrogated like you have done something wrong.

Acrt claims when you get hired they are about the people and that the employees are important. When I was first hired there was an esop plan where employees got equal stock options, the plan has since changed so now the little guy who does all the work gets minimal while the big wigs in Akron collect big retirement checks.
Pros
Company vehicle, good coworkers
Cons
Poor management, minimal support from the company. Poor pay