ACT, Inc. Employee Reviews

Senior Leadership is as bad as it gets
Manager (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 3, 2019
Senior leaders say what the audience they're in front of wants to hear. Their words and actions are often in conflict, and straightforward truth is absent from the culture. The number of highly paid executives increases while they lay off and remove benefits from the workforce that procuces value.
Ok place to work
Senior Database Management Analyst/Tech Lead (Former Employee) –  Iowa cityDecember 29, 2018
I worked as Contractor Through Cognizant Technology Solutions US Corp and its a great place to work learned many technical skills from all peers and got a chance to upgrade my skills.
Nice place to work but
Lead Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IADecember 29, 2018
Great benefits but upper management is unpredictable. Layoffs have been given about every 6 months. If you can dodge the layoffs it is a nice place to work.
Pros
Benefits, facilities, campus
Cons
Not know if your job is safe.
Was ok
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IADecember 27, 2018
Granted I'm writing this 15 years after I left the company but this company had outstanding benefits. Management left something to be desired at the time and was the reason I left.
benefits
Cons
management
day at the job
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNDecember 2, 2018
great place to work. the owner was there for when had a problem
it was hard work but you had help if need everyone was friendly and patient and eager to please
Pros
company get-togethers
Cons
have none
Quick-paced test processing
Contingent Data Entry/Editing Associate (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IANovember 24, 2018
Overall, well-organized. A few opportunities for efficiencies. Leadership staff was good to work with. Appreciated the inclusion of temporary staff in holiday parties.
Act inc
Desktop Support/System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 10, 2018
Excellent company to work for. Very considerate of working hours. Location of the job was convenient. My manager was excellent, never any issues or concerns.
Pros
Excellent location
Cons
Stressful at times
Good Benefits - Layoffs/Reorg every year.
Undisclosed (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAOctober 8, 2018
Every year in August, just before annual compensation reviews, there would be a round of layoffs. Layoffs had nothing to do with performance, departments would just be erased. Compensation now is one % for everyone in the company - except at a high enough level of management - they get extra. Expect your initial salary to be where you stay (maybe 2.5% increase each year) no matter what HR tells you.
Family run business with an eye on the bottom line
VP Client Implementations & Project Management (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 15, 2018
The founder and family relied upon their own expertise augmented by personnel in areas of weaker knowledge and plenty of positions for personnel to execute the founder's vision. The Founder is active in management and is very fair. Demanding, but willing to work with you and allow you to breathe after the real rush jobs. Upward mobility is not realistic at my level (upper management), but added responsibility is offered. I highly admire the Founder and the company as a whole. It is diverse and open-minded while being profit driven.
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
Pay for geographic location is modest
flexible
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJuly 11, 2018
flexible part time work at an high school in various locations, we do not work directly in the offices of ACT.this is a flexible weekend type of job..
Stressful ... Not knowing if I would be terminated each day
Staff Analyst (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJuly 10, 2018
I worked for ACT for over 12 years. For the first 8 years, I was very happy with the work and the environment. I knew that I provided value to ACT and its mission. Then, after 8 years, we got a new CIO, actually we got 3 of them over a 2 year period. The IT department was in a constant reorganization. I never knew from one day to the next if that day would be my last. Then we got a new CEO and I had hoped that things would improve. But no. Everyone was forced to "reapply" for their existing positions. Some folks were moved around and others were let go. Then came the bombshell with the outsourcing of IT to another company. As soon as I heard this, I looked for work elsewhere as I did not want my future decided by someone other than myself. I really admired ACT and their mission and was able to realize the value that I brought to their mission and goals. I though that I would be employed there for the rest of my working career. I'm now in a career where I make more than twice my salary that I had at ACT, but I do miss them and would have preferred to have remained there.

I hope this helps someone decide.
Good experience working with ACT
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJune 17, 2018
Good experience, nice working culture. Got to learn new things and improved my skills and abilities. All the team that I have worked are really helpful.
Used to be a good place to work
Distribution Clerk (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJune 5, 2018
They are more interested in saving money than the people that have worked for them for years, so they're outsourcing jobs and bringing in Temp workers
Productive & family-like working environment
Program Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 30, 2018
It was a great place to work - my best professional experience to date. Awesome campus with plenty of benefits for its employees. Productive & family-like working environment.
Great place to work but no advancement
Customer Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 4, 2018
This is a great place to work if you are satisfied with your original job title. You don't have much mobility for advancement. It was a relaxed atmosphere in a very stressful job.
Pros
Relaxed setting
Cons
Salaries for many are low unless you have a degree.
Great managers and nice work environment.
Customer Care Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Iowa City IAMay 1, 2018
Great place to work. Great offices and helpful benefits. Managers are always available for the staff. Customer service based jobs and always changing environment.
Great Place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 1, 2018
You work with a lot of intelligent people that care about their work. The work life balance is fantastic and would make it hard to consider leaving ACT.
Pros
Work life balance and benefits
Cons
Pay is a little lower than other industries
Fast paced environment
Executive Secretary Research (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 21, 2018
Great non-profit with wonderful benefits. Work is fast paced with constant challenges but good team members to work with. Client needs are the main focus.
It was great while it lasted.
Supervisor, Service Monitoring (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 15, 2018
The only issue I have with ACT is that I no longer work there. IT operations was outsourced and nearly all of us lost our jobs. While I was there I loved my job. I had an excellent team and an amazing supervisor. The benefits were excellent. We had plenty of time off. We had days for self-improvement, community out-reach, vacation, floating holidays, and more sick days than I every needed. I got to do interesting work with some really great people. If I can ever work there again I will.
Pros
My Manager, Coworkers, Work-life Balance, Compensation Environment
Cons
They outsourced my department
A fun place to work
Senior Psychometrician (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 9, 2018
I truly enjoyed working at ACT, and was very disappointed when I got laid off. I very much would like job advancement. I would recommend ACT to anyone if I sure they could keep their job as long as he/she wished.
Pros
Excellent salary/benefits, great work culture
Cons
I wish ACT didn't lay off employees without advance warning

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ACT, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

5.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss