ACT, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Stressful ... Not knowing if I would be terminated each day
Staff Analyst (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJuly 10, 2018
I worked for ACT for over 12 years. For the first 8 years, I was very happy with the work and the environment. I knew that I provided value to ACT and its mission. Then, after 8 years, we got a new CIO, actually we got 3 of them over a 2 year period. The IT department was in a constant reorganization. I never knew from one day to the next if that day would be my last. Then we got a new CEO and I had hoped that things would improve. But no. Everyone was forced to "reapply" for their existing positions. Some folks were moved around and others were let go. Then came the bombshell with the outsourcing of IT to another company. As soon as I heard this, I looked for work elsewhere as I did not want my future decided by someone other than myself. I really admired ACT and their mission and was able to realize the value that I brought to their mission and goals. I though that I would be employed there for the rest of my working career. I'm now in a career where I make more than twice my salary that I had at ACT, but I do miss them and would have preferred to have remained there.

I hope this helps someone decide.
Good experience working with ACT
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJune 17, 2018
Good experience, nice working culture. Got to learn new things and improved my skills and abilities. All the team that I have worked are really helpful.
Used to be a good place to work
Distribution Clerk (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJune 5, 2018
They are more interested in saving money than the people that have worked for them for years, so they're outsourcing jobs and bringing in Temp workers
Productive & family-like working environment
Program Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 30, 2018
It was a great place to work - my best professional experience to date. Awesome campus with plenty of benefits for its employees. Productive & family-like working environment.
Great place to work but no advancement
Customer Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 4, 2018
This is a great place to work if you are satisfied with your original job title. You don't have much mobility for advancement. It was a relaxed atmosphere in a very stressful job.
Pros
Relaxed setting
Cons
Salaries for many are low unless you have a degree.
Great managers and nice work environment.
Customer Care Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Iowa City IAMay 1, 2018
Great place to work. Great offices and helpful benefits. Managers are always available for the staff. Customer service based jobs and always changing environment.
Great Place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 1, 2018
You work with a lot of intelligent people that care about their work. The work life balance is fantastic and would make it hard to consider leaving ACT.
Pros
Work life balance and benefits
Cons
Pay is a little lower than other industries
Fast paced environment
Executive Secretary Research (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 21, 2018
Great non-profit with wonderful benefits. Work is fast paced with constant challenges but good team members to work with. Client needs are the main focus.
It was great while it lasted.
Supervisor, Service Monitoring (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 15, 2018
The only issue I have with ACT is that I no longer work there. IT operations was outsourced and nearly all of us lost our jobs. While I was there I loved my job. I had an excellent team and an amazing supervisor. The benefits were excellent. We had plenty of time off. We had days for self-improvement, community out-reach, vacation, floating holidays, and more sick days than I every needed. I got to do interesting work with some really great people. If I can ever work there again I will.
Pros
My Manager, Coworkers, Work-life Balance, Compensation Environment
Cons
They outsourced my department
A fun place to work
Senior Psychometrician (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 9, 2018
I truly enjoyed working at ACT, and was very disappointed when I got laid off. I very much would like job advancement. I would recommend ACT to anyone if I sure they could keep their job as long as he/she wished.
Pros
Excellent salary/benefits, great work culture
Cons
I wish ACT didn't lay off employees without advance warning
I was too young
Tech Support (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2018
At the time I was too young to work it at the time. At the time I was about 13 to 15 years old working under a job my family allowed me to do. I really liked it because All I had to do was hold a clock at first, Then I was switched to working on the computer menace. I liked it when it lasted.
Loved helping our community
Iowa - Program Specialist II, Accoms Dept (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IADecember 28, 2017
Working at ACT helped motivate me to do good in the world as ACT offers many opportunities to get involved in the community. I also enjoyed helping students, parents, and schools request accommodations to take the ACT.
Pros
Food Days
Cons
Stressful test days
Content Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IADecember 22, 2017
The company is a good place to work with many opportunities in a variety of areas. Many different types of people, from multiple education and experience backgrounds are hired.
Pros
Good benefits. Flexible schedules.
Cons
Some areas of the company have little opportunity for advancement.
In change
Director (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IADecember 12, 2017
This organization continues to undergo change. As with many larger operations, the success of your experience will be based on what you put into it and what they put into you.
Don't Work at ACT
Employee (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IADecember 8, 2017
With few exceptions, the employee base is entitled, unmotivated, and not dynamic. They are paycheck claimers with an extraordinary amount of vacation time, and they intend to keep it that way. They appear to fear change. Extremely provincial.
Very nice work environment
IT CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IANovember 21, 2017
If you want to work with very nice people, without all the drama of the typical corporation then consider ACT as an option.

Your work will be appreciated and you will have the freedom to manage your time to become more productive. Meetings are conducted promptly and managers/coworkers are supportive.
Pros
Good management, relaxed environment, freedom to introduce new ideas
Cons
Corporate offices are in a small town 2-4 hrs away from major cities
Act
Convergence Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 8, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working for ACT. My office was in Orlando, FL and my travel was 100%. I learned a lot from this company and a lot about the Avaya project. It was very unfortunate that this company was bought out and our department was downsized.
Pros
Cons
No longer exists
Pleasant people, meaningful work
Test Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAOctober 25, 2017
I very much enjoyed the people I worked with at ACT. We did work that was meaningful and that provided a benefit to society. I happened to be attached to a department that was being phased out at a time when no other departments needed anyone with my skill set. Otherwise, I'd still be working there.
Pros
Fairly generous benefits and PTO, flexible work arrangements
Cons
It can be difficult to move between departments
Proceed with caution
Senior Corporate Travel Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOOctober 12, 2017
Operational quagmire. Way over staffed in some areas, so people are just in job protection mode most of the time. Lots of turnover, and everyone just trying to keep their heads down so they don't get lopped off. Some smart people there among the worker bees but they just keep quiet as well because they've seen so many get fired or laid off or whatever the phrase is for that month. Too much promotion of managers from within with little to no experience in actual management skills so all they do is sit around and hold meetings with one another, pass emails and make sure senior management thinks everybody is happy. Very cliquish environment and huge disconnect from what it is sold as when you go through the interview process. It's like a cultish, zombie environment with everybody smiling and pretending they are happy but then griping about it in private. Everyone walks around scared to make any suggestions or attempt to change the culture of the status quo because then they will be fired or driven to quit by their manager. They should only promote people who can prove they have management skills and give them testing and training at least once a year as well. They really need to train the middle managers in management skills, employee and team success.
The test development side of the house may be better, but I wouldn't know, I left before I got to know much about that side. Since it's a smallish town and a college town, not too much else available for employment so people are kind of stuck unless they want to move to another city.
Pros
Really nice campus, gym, food. Good benefits
Cons
Need to clean house for any management below the C level
Changing work culture
Software Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAOctober 11, 2017
Overall, my experience over the past decade has been a very good one, but the work culture has been changing lately from a relaxed, employee-centered, family-type atmosphere to a more sterile, harder-charging feel with a more market-competitive focus (this despite being a not-for-profit organization). The typical work day includes meetings (usually several of varying types), plus either solo or collaborative work time, and a break for lunch. Since employees are expected to be self-directed, there isn't much concern about how you divide your day, as long as the work gets done correctly. However, they have moved from tall cubicles for employees and offices for managers, to short cubicles for everyone... and are apparently moving to one large cubicle for everyone on a single Scrum team. Management has, up until recently, been very employee-focused, and more than willing to work with employees on any number of issues; however, that has started to change, and despite being a not-for-profit organization, the focus has been increasingly on the bottom line. The hardest part of the job is balancing the various meetings with time dedicated to actual tasks. However, I truly have a great group of co-workers.
Pros
Beautiful campus, great co-workers, hour lunch, great benefits.
Cons
No longer cares about individual employees like it once did.