ACT (American Cable and Telephone) Employee Reviews

If you like working yourself into the ground then this is the place for you
Technician (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 18, 2019
The only pro to this job is that you work alone. Management is shoty and pay is low, you only get paid for jobs completed and not hourly. Currently working 5 days a week with Wednesday and Saturdays off with the chance that they’ll ask to volunteer on days off. Your jobs are stuck on a strict time frame, usually having 2 jobs to finish in 2 hours. If you start to run late they’ll take jobs from you and if you’re running ahead of schedule they’ll stack more jobs on you, leaving you with no time for a break.
average work place
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 25, 2019
it's been too long and can't recall much about my time with this company. i believe i didn't have trouble during my time there and the staff were all relatively regular.
Productive and Fun Work Place.
Cable Technician (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, ILMarch 25, 2019
Fun Place working at. very Considering Supervisor, and there is room for Carrier advancement, i highly recommend any one out there to apply in this company.
Pros
Carried my own Lunch
Cons
1 hour break
Fantasic company with much to offer.
Technician / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILMarch 18, 2019
I have worked for ACT for over 5 years. I have learned a vast amount of skills in the telecom industry because of this company. I have traveled the entire country working for many national service providers as a repair technician under the ACT banner. It has been a great experience.
Advancement
Hiring Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILMarch 13, 2019
I have been at ACT for just over 4 years. I started out here at a low end position making telephone calls. During that time, I realized how great working for ACT is. All of my coworkers made each day a good one. No matter what I dealt with on the other end of that phone, it didn't matter because I enjoyed my environment. Fast forward a few years and I now have a management position here. When ACT says they promote within, they really mean it. Almost all of the managers here, office and field were once entry level. The culture here is family like, from the CEO to the HR Director you feel as though they have passion for making this place and your job worth it. The hardest part of working here is demand, you have to have that drive to work hard and sometimes long hours/weekends. Everyone here from the techs to the office management are available for support during all working hours that we have guys out in the field. It is a team effort here and everybody feels that.
Pros
Family like environment, Supportive management, Ability to grow
Cons
Can be very busy, old building
Fast Paced Environment.
Cable Tech (Current Employee) –  Steger, ILMarch 12, 2019
ACT takes great care of its employees and there are tons of opportunities for advancement in your career. It is fast-paced and you a very reasonably paid. My typical day consisted of taking on jobs a and ensuring that I was doing them to the best of my ability. My direct managers were always just a phone call away for advice and always were ready and willing to answer any questions for me. Work hard and this trade will turn into a blooming career.
No experience turned into a career
Cable Tech (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2019
If you are a hard worker you can definitely make a lot of money as a cable tech with ACT. You have to be driven without being supervised in the field. The supervisors are great with leading you in the right direction and are always just a phone call away if you need help. You do not need to have any experience and they take the time to give you the training you need to succeed.
Always room for growth
Office Staff (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILMarch 12, 2019
ACT is a company that gives you a chance regardless of your experience level. They look at your as a person as opposed to other companies that just want you as another number with a never ending list of experience. Working at ACT has given me the opportunity to learn different skills and also branch out and take on more responsibility. As long as you are willing to give the effort, you will see the results.
Pave your own way
Field Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILMarch 10, 2019
I have been working for ACT for over 10 years. I have enjoyed my time here and everyone that I have come across has for the most part been very friendly and approachable. Though this job is very demanding and you work a lot of hours, it is also very rewarding. If you are the type of person that works hard it will pay off in the end. A The only people that wont succeed at ACT are people that are lazy and don't have the drive to better themselves. Yes this is a contract company and we do work holidays but management has no problem giving you days off if you request it in a reasonable amount of time. At the end of the day you have good days and bad days in every company but ACT tries to make sure you are taken care of everyday.
Pros
Overall Environment
Cons
Technicians that don't follow protocol
Challenging, but Equally as Rewarding
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 9, 2019
I've been with American Cable & Telephone for 7 years now it has been an overall great experience. They have provided great job security, loyalty, training, and opportunities for advancement. In this tight knit company hard work and dedication is rewarded! In other words, you get what you put out, and then some. They started me with paid training, then a company vehicle, tools, phone and anything else necessary to do my job properly and I loved the fast paced work environment as a technician. As I progressed, I found that the more I learned and the harder I worked, the more I earned. This really put the pay potential in my hands and gave me the opportunity to earn more than enough to support myself and family. My work ethic was recognized and I was promoted to Field Supervisor and eventually, Operations Manager!
Pros
Opportunities for advancement and a fast-paced work environment!
Not afraid to work
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 8, 2019
I have now been with ACT for 8 years now. I started out as a tech, low many in the pecking order, but worked my way up. My work ethic was noticed as well as being fearless in putting in an honest days work. I came to ACT with not settling for my paycheck every week, in the production based pay environment. I pushed my self every week to see how much more I could make. ACT supplied me with the tools and additional training to reach that next level! Within a year and a half of being a tech, I was recommended by my peer for a Team Lead position and then was promoted to as Department Supervisor then promoted to Department Manager, then promoted to Operations Manager. ACT has provided me with Career Path and as well a place of employment that cares.
Pros
Fun place to work.
Cons
Need more Company Golf Outtings
It's like working with family
Claims Department (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILMarch 8, 2019
I started out as a dispatcher for the company and was approached by management after less than a year with a promotion opportunity. While this is rare, it is possible. The dynamic of this company is like no other I have ever witnessed. It's more like a family than a group of co-workers. I work with people I can depend on to step up and step in if I need them, work related or not. The owner of the company cares about his employees and looks out for those that work hard for him. Hard work DOES pay off here and being lazy IS noticed and handled accordingly. In my 15 or so years of working in general, this is by far the best company I have ever been employed by.
Pros
Work-life balance, job security, management, company culture, great co-workers, comfortable work environment, diversity
Cons
No direct deposit
Family oriented, business driven Company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILMarch 8, 2019
I have been with American Cable & Telephone for almost 9 years and I have nothing but gratitude and praise for every from the President down to the mechanics here. This company gave me an opportunity to learn a skill and then provided me with the necessary tools to be successful at the job while earning decent wages. This company awards loyalty and hard work which I why I would recommend working here to anyone.
Pros
Family like structure, great pay, internal advanement
Cons
Sometimes long work hours, but only when needed
Fun and fast paced place to work with guaranteed jobs
Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 8, 2019
Great place to work, great management and company to work for. I would always recommend them to anyone who would inquire about a job. They are always hiring as well.
Pros
Flexible and lenient
Act
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILFebruary 14, 2019
I learned how to work well with customers. We had our daily route and completed it to the best of our abilities. We worked as a two man team and had few abruptions .
Pros
I started out of high school as a helper
Cons
Other employees/coworkers
Poor manangent
Field Service Technician 1099 (Former Employee) –  Lynwood, ILFebruary 12, 2019
Bad place to work..management an staff not out for employees. Pay is low for high risk and physical demand. Hours long everyday with no regard to tech
Work Hard Little Pay
Cable and Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 22, 2019
The promises that were made were high for pay. The truth was only those that were at company for long time got highest paying assignments, where the lower you were on ladder had to work harder then most to just make ends meet.
A respectful job for the honest worker
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILJanuary 15, 2019
I've been with American Cable and Telephone for over 7 years now, and my typical day at work has changed a lot over that time. I started at the bottom as a field tech and have worked up the ladder and into the office.

If you are looking for a job that you can bring your best and grow into and beyond, this is the place for you. With a caring management and internal staff as well as an open work format you are in control of your own success. The hardest part of the job is the learning curve at the beginning but with paid training and plenty of assistance provided by the company they are only looking to put you into the position of success. The most enjoyable part of the job is the family culture at the office and shop and seeing customers smile and thank you after you've fixed their issue. The skills you can learn at this job will provide you with continuous benefits for your future.

If you are looking for something to just pass the check and aren't willing to work for your own success this isn't for you.
Pros
Caring Management and Support from internal staff, Work at your pace for what you want, Plenty of skills to learn and acquire, the feeling of being helpful to those around you
Cons
Work at your own pace for what you want, long hours for first few months, not for the unmotivated and uncaring
ACT overview
Field Tech for cable installation (Former Employee) –  Gretna, LAJanuary 3, 2019
It was nice work with the people. I don't blame them for my experience but Working for Cox as a Contractor was horrible. They may life very hard, struggling just to get a pay check. We were payed by a point system like commission base. We had to rush doing the job. We had changes everyday nothing was constant. A lot of work for little money. I must say this was the worst job I have ever had.
Great place to work with oppurtunity
Installation and repair technician (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 27, 2018
usually good routes installing and trouble shooting cx equipment. The better you get, the better your scores, the better the routes.They do their best to take care of their employees and help when needed. Think the hardest part of the work is climbing telephone poles to run new drops. Not hard work at all and good pay.
Pros
work at your own pace
Cons
outside in harsh weather

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ACT (American Cable and Telephone). Our community is ready to answer.