ACT (American Cable and Telephone)
46Low

ACT (American Cable and Telephone) Employee Reviews

United States127 reviews
Boss treated me perfectly. I had a career path that led to leading the department. I was able to provide solutions that increased efficiency in the department

Then one of the employees that I oversaw quit abruptly. For the next three weeks, I was doing my job and hers, doing all I can to pick up the pieces she left the department in when she quit.

Despite the fact that I did everything perfectly, I was still laid off. Apparently my direct report, who I did everything I could to help her do her job, left the department in such shambles that the owner saw it fit to "restructure" the department.

That was an absolute kick in the gut when I was never once on his bad side and did everything perfectly, to just cut me off like that. It wasn't fair, I actually enjoyed working there.
Love working here because when a crew needs something for a job, the company usually is able to accommodate and provide whatever you may NEED. To get the job done
They taught me everything I needed to know before sending me out on my own. Helpful co workers anytime you need. Great management. Found my passion for what type of career I want.
Work 5 to 6 days a week. Going from house to house installing cable. Pay is per job. You make as much as u can do. It’s up to you to make it. Management is okay
Wish they were still open in New Orleans. They were an extremely good company to work for and were very understanding and helpful. A very family oriented company, we were all like one big family.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
This was probably the worst job I’ve ever had. I have had a lot of different jobs in my lifetime. They over promise on a lot of things. You have to pay for your own car plus tools. You also have to work 12 hour days 6 days a week. Oh AND, they refused to give me a check because I didn’t sign off for it when they said I didn’t have to. Do yourself a favor and don’t even think about applying here, waste of time!
Senior managers and Coporate will do nothing to make this failing business model work. Waste of time for regular techs as there is no hourly wage giving them no incentive to work and might as well work uber/lyft. Consistently changing policies making it more and more difficult for commissions employees to make money. Not sustainable income, poor work life balance
Wherever you are in the country is dependent on what you'll do. Most states, you're a cable contractor. Others, you're a tower tech. In the Pacific NW, you do fiber for Century Link. Pay is great here, but that's about it. Co vehicle is a 10 year old Chevy HHR with a ladder rack. You have to cover your own gas, your own tools, etc. They pay on Saturdays, and you'll never get a chance to go to the bank. Just avoid this co
This job is fine if you are just looking for something to hold you over until you find something better. The work itself is not bad but the system 'around' the work is garbage. Routes change constantly, equipment doesn't work properly, no benefits, issues with pay will cost you a few dollars every week unless you're paying attention. Basically there are a tone of issues with the all of the aspects of the job you have no control over. Would not recommend going 1099 unless you have your own vehicle and are motivated to take on extra work. But all in all the pay is good in the short term, especially during the summer. Would not recommend looking to this for a long term gig. Too much of a head ache.
At typical day of work requires a great deal of trouble shooting and problem solving. I feel that it has greatly impacted my though process for how to find and resolve problems. The management staff tries but are understaffed and are constantly irritated. The most enjoyable part of the job is no job is ever the same you never no what to expect.
I had an awful manager train me, gave zero training books, created a hostile working environment, I learned nothing then I was put on the job where I made even less than minimum wage. I couldn't be put back on training at minimum wage and I couldn't complete jobs so I made $30 for a 12-hour day 5 days in a row before I quit. I disconnected more cable than I installed. ☹
worse place I've ever worked at. average of 12 hour days and they tell you it's about 20 dollars an hour when it's closer to 9. the people are great and the managers and good but the work is tiring and they expect you to be at the shop at 630 am everyday and you'll get off around 8 or 9 pm. the work environment is awful
Pros
Cons
pay, hours, no social life
The managers sleep in the office and they don't like to answer the phone for their employees. They are usually caught watching TV when they should be working. Heard the managers say they want to let an employee figure things out themselves vs actually giving help. They pay by the job competed not by the hour. They try and find reasons not to pay you for work completed. No real advancement options.
ACT is no longer in business or shut down operations for a lengthy amount of time. They lost several big contracts and laid off all employees at one point.
Horrenderious work hours, poor management, poor pay for the amount of money/work, no compensation for vehicle use and gas. You self employed with no benefits and receive a W-2. You can't utilize the self employment write off.

The company is such a Rip Off!!!!!
ACT offers a great environment to work in. I started in the cable industry fresh out of high school, I’ve worked for them all and realized I was always expandable, the more knowledge I gained the quicker they got rid of me until I met ACT, ACT values you as a person giving opportunity to grow and develop within the company I have all great things to say about ACT from the techs all the way to management. Thank you
American cable and telephone is a joke of a company with horrific management. I wish I could give it negative stars. It's always a fight to get you your paycheck. They will take money from it every week for "deposits" then in the end come up with hidden charges to keep your money. They steal your tools from your vehicle, give them away and claim they never saw them. They even sent me a fake check. I have no idea how this place is still in business treating it's employees like this. Take my advice and never go to work for these crooks, because you will leave tooless and in debt.
The upper management has no idea how to run a business. The leadership they show is atrocious. They may have the title of manager but they are not leaders! There is a big difference between the two. Each week they are changing something to "see if it works" No one wants to stay with the company because of the attitude of management. To get hired it takes about 5 weeks before you will even see your first paycheck. They will tell you, you can make $1000 a week only if you are in the perfect place. Don't believe the hype the interviewer says all you are is a body to them.
Do not recommend to anyone.
Very unprofessional

Does not care about employees

Smokes in building

Worst work experience of my life

If you love yourself dont work here
Your team and on site management is usually pretty good to work with, anything above that is a mess. pay is what you make it. owner hires all family and friends in the front office and they all seem to have no idea what they are doing. they try to preach loyalty and yet could really care less what happens to you. Outside of being 1099 if you work with the company they will pay you high to fill a need and in that very moment look for a cheaper replacement. They will make a million promises to try to keep people around and never come through. I was a 1099 tech so most of this didn't directly apply to me. just things i have noticed in my years with the company which in turn made me not want to climb the ladder. if you are looking to become a tech for them i would say its fine but only for the time being until you find a company that has a better culture and better upper management structure.
I do not suggest to anyone to look for a job with this company especially in Steger,IL. AWFUL MANAGEMENT and terrible pay. Do not look into this company if you want a good paying job. Most of your money will be taken for there 10 year old cars and the gas that comes out of your pocket.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Ask a question about working or interviewing at ACT (American Cable and Telephone). Our community is ready to answer.
2.8