ACT (American Cable and Telephone)
Happiness rating is 49 out of 100

ACT (American Cable and Telephone) Employee Reviews

United States135 reviews

vehicletechequipmentweektoolpaymoneylong

Cannot recommend at all.

They fail to give you a work order so sometimes I wouldn’t start work until 3PM. All the tools aside from safety equipment is self procured. They provide a company vehicle, they aren’t good but they get the job done. Management is relaxed only really talk to you about tasks they need you to do otherwise they don’t contact you. Cant recommend.

Pros

Set your own schedule

Cons

No PTO, not many benefits, relaxed management.

You will work hard

Management was a joke and don't value hard workers, was a buddy system, if you aren't one of the buddies you get shat on. It was basically the good ole boys network

Pros

Comraderie between workers...some of them

Cons

Dont be a temporary worker there

ACT (American Cable and Telephone) insights

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Contract piecework.

The work is contract work and you get paid by the job. Once the job is completed you get paid 2 weeks after. There is not much concern for safety and there are no benefits. As long as you are not afraid of gruelling work you should be fine. The training, if it can be called such is sparse and on the job. Great people to work with but the company does not provide the pay and benefits commensurate with the level of work one has to perform. The work days can be very long and out in the middle of nowhere.

Pros

Great people to work with on construction crews

Cons

No benefits, long hours, driving all over the country, No stipends or other financial support on the road.

Just Don't

Just don't do it. You are just another missing piece to their puzzle. Work gets piled on and piled on and then you get in trouble for not being able to handle everything thrown at you. You also have no help from anyone.

Fair

Management is pretty fair with pay and time off and benefits. Co workers are nice and helpful. If you need to leave for an emergency or personal reasons or a Dr's visit they are pretty lenient as long as you communicate.

Dont work there.

Pros- checks might be pretty high end of the week.Cons- no benefits, no well training, they don't provide that much equipment for you, vehicle are always breaking down, over worked, dispatch will fill your route without moving them when you fall behind, to get a big check you have to over-work yourself, one day off, job from 7am-10pm depends how far you fall behind, employees are always complaining about their route so they give it to you, route is very poor no high pay appointment at times, if you get hurt you're out for work with no pay, 1099 company so prepare to do all your counting during your taxes. They claim 70,000-100,000 a year which is false, not even close to that. ALSO they still haven't increased the pay compared to other contract companies, look else where.

Starting off the company was great, a lot of promises not kept

Favoritism is big at the Omaha location. I was making around 1,000 a week as a contractor and than a couple guys that used to work there started and my jobs went away. I was averaging at least between 100 to 150 points a day. As soon as they started, it went to around 40 points a day. A lot of drinking and gaming goes on during work hours. Very professional 😂

"family" oriented

This place is okay to work for at first but after a few months you notice that things are not what they seem. More and more tasks are put on employees with little to no explanation/training.

Fun place to work. No one looking over your shoulder.

I was hired but before I was even done with training I was let go. There excuse was there making changes and cutting positions. That would have been nice to know before I quit my other job.

Cons

Poor management, no healthcare

Horrible management

Avoid this company at all costs management will throw any and everyone under the bus to attempt to save their own back. The hire inexperienced guys and expect production they don’t take care of any of their employees. No holiday pay no OT opportunities owner is a real right wad

Pros

3 day weekend

Cons

EVERYTHING else

Good

Good time working for this company good paid work collection equipment and payment arrount the city of Philadelphia meet new people every day good manager

It was nice up until it wasn't

Boss treated me perfectly. I had a career path that led to leading the department. I was able to provide solutions that increased efficiency in the department Then one of the employees that I oversaw quit abruptly. For the next three weeks, I was doing my job and hers, doing all I can to pick up the pieces she left the department in when she quit. Despite the fact that I did everything perfectly, I was still laid off. Apparently my direct report, who I did everything I could to help her do her job, left the department in such shambles that the owner saw it fit to "restructure" the department. That was an absolute kick in the gut when I was never once on his bad side and did everything perfectly, to just cut me off like that. It wasn't fair, I actually enjoyed working there.

Good company

Love working here because when a crew needs something for a job, the company usually is able to accommodate and provide whatever you may NEED. To get the job done

Great place to start off in the Cable business

They taught me everything I needed to know before sending me out on my own. Helpful co workers anytime you need. Great management. Found my passion for what type of career I want.

It wasn’t the best

Work 5 to 6 days a week. Going from house to house installing cable. Pay is per job. You make as much as u can do. It’s up to you to make it. Management is okay

Excellent company

Wish they were still open in New Orleans. They were an extremely good company to work for and were very understanding and helpful. A very family oriented company, we were all like one big family.

Don’t work here.

This was probably the worst job I’ve ever had. I have had a lot of different jobs in my lifetime. They over promise on a lot of things. You have to pay for your own car plus tools. You also have to work 12 hour days 6 days a week. Oh AND, they refused to give me a check because I didn’t sign off for it when they said I didn’t have to. Do yourself a favor and don’t even think about applying here, waste of time!

Horrible Leadership/Failing Company

Senior managers and Coporate will do nothing to make this failing business model work. Waste of time for regular techs as there is no hourly wage giving them no incentive to work and might as well work uber/lyft. Consistently changing policies making it more and more difficult for commissions employees to make money. Not sustainable income, poor work life balance

Just Don't

Wherever you are in the country is dependent on what you'll do. Most states, you're a cable contractor. Others, you're a tower tech. In the Pacific NW, you do fiber for Century Link. Pay is great here, but that's about it. Co vehicle is a 10 year old Chevy HHR with a ladder rack. You have to cover your own gas, your own tools, etc. They pay on Saturdays, and you'll never get a chance to go to the bank. Just avoid this co

Ok if you are looking for something temporary

This job is fine if you are just looking for something to hold you over until you find something better. The work itself is not bad but the system 'around' the work is garbage. Routes change constantly, equipment doesn't work properly, no benefits, issues with pay will cost you a few dollars every week unless you're paying attention. Basically there are a tone of issues with the all of the aspects of the job you have no control over. Would not recommend going 1099 unless you have your own vehicle and are motivated to take on extra work. But all in all the pay is good in the short term, especially during the summer. Would not recommend looking to this for a long term gig. Too much of a head ache.

can be hard job

At typical day of work requires a great deal of trouble shooting and problem solving. I feel that it has greatly impacted my though process for how to find and resolve problems. The management staff tries but are understaffed and are constantly irritated. The most enjoyable part of the job is no job is ever the same you never no what to expect.

Common questions about ACT (American Cable and Telephone)

Answered by current and former employees at ACT (American Cable and Telephone)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ACT (American Cable and Telephone). Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

ACT (American Cable and Telephone) reviews by popular job title

• ACT (American Cable and Telephone)