Active Interest Media

Working at Active Interest Media: 20 Reviews

United States20 reviews

companyworkgreatmanagementaimworkingpeopletime

Productive and fun with weight room, ping pong table and beer tap

I loved the work and was hired as intern and was able to stay on as a graphic designer, however during my first review, my boss discovered that I was wanting to my into a photographer/video position after all I had just completed school at The Art Institute with a Photography degree. Anyway, "B" was not too exceptive of that and fired me from her team. That really hurt! Since there was not any other openings at the time, I was forced to leave AIM. It was a really cool place to work and I loved my job, but I was looking to move up and into my "dream" position and had a boss who took that personally. I did feel a bit older as the "worker bees" of the company were ages 20-mid 40's and I, in my mid 50's. I still miss working there and wish things had turned out better for me.

Run

This company is exploitive and burns through people as soon as they can't extract value from them anymore. No development, no concern for people's growth, totally unprofessional.

Pros

Sporadic access to car dealership style food

Cons

Everything else

Active Interest Media insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Support from manager

Company is declining

This company used to have potential and promise. Now it's cutthroat and alienating. Upper management doesn't care about the employees and they promote people from companies they buy. They keep changing procedures and not for the better.

Struggling Company

AIM sells itself as a great collaborative company with lots of career advancement opportunities. In reality with the decline of print media it is struggling right now. When no one in the company is getting raises anymore it is hard to find a reason to stay. We have been seeing a lot of staff turnover lately...wonder why.

Great company with room for growth!

Active Interest Media is an excellent company with family oriented values. They provided me with multiple opportunities and advancement. They are supportive and strive to keep employees happy. I was in the Marine group and really enjoyed my experience! Great GM and wonderful co workers and clients!

A tough place to work

Immediate managers and most employees are great. However... the higher-up management is awful and tend to make terrible, spur-of-the-moment decisions. No bonuses or no raises (basically ever).

Flexible working hours with minimal supervision

I loved my job at AIM. Helping customers, fellow employees and vendors was my favorite part. The difficult part was waiting for an answer from my supervisor, who worked remotely in another time zone.

Pros

Flexible hours, early dismissal prior to a holiday weekend

Productive and fun company

I am currently employed with AIM in management and have enjoyed working for AIM over 9 years. I have managed up to 3 employees overseeing the corporate business accounting transactions.

Great, hard-working employees, but the company is a meat grinder run by venture capitalists.

The most enjoyable part of this job is working with dedicated and smart colleagues. Unfortunately, though, the company is very disorganized and lacks a clear vision, and the employees are asked to do way too much with very few resources.

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

Getting worked to death

A proactive company, who believes in employee development and promoting from within.

A great place to work. It is a proactive company and genuinely cares about mentoring and promoting from within. They encourage participation and collaboration. They promote family/personal time and offer perks such as ping pong in-house for stress relief, weekly Yoga classes, discounts through partnerships for skiing, camping and other outdoor activities.

Pros

A good, ever evolving benefits package

Cons

Very deadline driven business

Jobs at Active Interest Media

See more jobs

Some Good Some Bad

Worked for AIM for a while. State of flux, difficult to bring together so many companies through acquisitions as well as move from a print magazine company to a digital media and event company who also provides marketing services. Remote employees often out of the loop and have limited opportunity for advancement. Management is trying to improve things company wide and offers a strong benefits package, although salaries are low. A little hit or miss for management standards within in each division.

Pros

Overall benefits package, nice Boulder office, good time off.

Cons

Poor local management with limited opportunity to move between divisions.

Good work environment, terrible pay

Flexible work environment - potential to work remotely if necessary depending on your manager. In many ways an old-fashioned company, but with several "cool" perks - beer on tap, free daily yoga. But if you're looking for a job that pays a respectable and appropriate salary, look elsewhere.

Pros

Free yoga, beer

Cons

Very small salaries

great place to work with a great staff on hand

love AIM great place to work with a great staff on hand. we use to travel around the world and meet new people and produce events

Extra days off on Christmas

Company doesn't care with the employees. More work less compensation. Gave 2% raise after a couple of years. Company always acquire more business/company but doesn't make employees happy. Lots of tun around in Accounting Department specially in General Ledger Department.

Cons

No short break was given

Active Interest Media

Very poor giving employees raises or bonuses. Poor communications to the employees. Management doesn't care with their employees.

Great place to work with amazing people

The people and the culture at Active Interest Media are incredible. I've never enjoyed an office environment so much and am always appreciative to be surrounded by such talented, creative, passionate and hard working people. The two managers I've been lucky enough to work with while at AIM helped sculpt me into the driven and accomplished employee that I am today. The hardest part of the job was dealing with loss in print media revenue, which brought in the majority of the company's profits for a long time. However, being forced to change business structure presented a great opportunity to challenge ourselves and really drive traffic to 40+ online publications. The best part of the job was being responsible for so many different aspects of marketing, because it gave me valuable exposure to all areas of the field, making me a more valuable and knowledgeable asset.

More works time fast so quickly

Approving invoices. Manage the Fixed assets. No time to talk to co-workers because of so much work. Most enjoyable part of my work is reconciling the account and researching the discrepancies.

Pros

Extra days off on Christmas with pay

Cons

No bonuses. Hard to get a vacations

Great group of niche publications

Loved working with some of the smartest people in the event and media business. We served niche communities with award winning media, digital and in person events.

Great co-workers, poor management

Co-workers are fantastic, smart and great at what they do. Upper management is mostly men, however. Not a lot of opportunity for advancement for women. Pay is a bit low across the board. Not a lot of opportunities for career development, mentoring. Not a lot of relevant communication from upper management. Employees always seem in the dark about certain things.

Pros

Great co-workers

Cons

Not a lot of mentoring opportunities or direction from management

Great company, well managed

Hardest working company in my personal experience.Rational managementGood compensationPeople believe in what they do - passionatelyBest part, working with great people

Pros

good people, interesting work

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Active Interest Media. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
2.3Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight