Active Wellness

Active Wellness Employee Reviews

United States16 reviews
Upscale environment, great experience and benefits, not enough support/clear communication or loyalty from management

They need to make changes to structure in order to support employees and have happy clients
Great opportunity for those entering their career in health/wellness and fitness. Positive and fun environment, supportive managers and satisfying wages- always an opportunity for growth. All around great company to work for!
I have worked for the company in various positions and titles for nearly five years. I have had extremely positive experiences the first couple of years, but recently the culture has been toxic, authoritative, and there is ZERO room for growth. I have the best friends via my coworkers, but the managers are so far removed I don’t think they even realize how bad it is.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Management, no room for growth
Working for Active Wellness felt like buying into a corporate brainwash. The values of the company are hollow and meaningless in the context of the day-to-day operations and attitudes of its staff. The particular club where I worked suffered from long-held attitudes of "old guard" staff and members who were entrenched in their ways and did not seem to enjoy their jobs. I was working part time in a position that should have been full time and salaried with benefits. The support and resources I was promised never materialized and it did not seem they ever would. The corporate "higher ups" did not seem like real people who actually knew what the staff required. I was continually inundated with spam-like emails from the corporate office while not having the resources to do my job well. The club in general was mismanaged, shoddy, and felt like it was barely being held together from one day to the next. It is because of working at this company that I know I will never work in a corporate franchise environment again.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
The one thing I loved about working for Active Wellness was working day to day with the members, they were always amazing.
Working FOR Active Wellness was not. I never received the support I needed and always felt the need to watch my back. Upper management are cold hearted and only let in those that play the game, not those that question practices. If you are a follower (even as a manager), this is the company for you. Just don't expect to be paid fairly either.
I only worked for Active Wellness a short time as a full time employee. I currently work for them as a sub (a few times a year). I enjoy working for Active Wellness and have always had great managers. Unfortunately, they do not have a lot of job opportunities in Arizona.
Pros
Great managers.
Cons
Not a lot of job opportunities in Arizona.
Active is a very family oriented company, the management team has been with the company from the start. Very low turnover with FT employees especially with management.

Slow growth but it's growing and becoming one of the leading fitness management company in the world.
Pros
People I work with
Cons
No matching with 401K
I worked for Activewellness in Foster city. All I can say is when management sucks your willing to leave a good paying job. I miss the kids. But they hired horrible male employees who didn't like the fact I had been running the swim team for a while. It was a toxic relationship the last few months and I left. Aquatic staff that are higher up are super fake and drama filled with causing an issue. Im impressed that the facility hasn't fired them and done a clean sweep of the people in charge.
I've learned a lot from working with my staff at Active Wellness. Management was great and very flexible with time off requests. I enjoyed coming to work and working with my clients.
Cons
short breaks
Bad manager and pay, not sustainable for a living. Felt underappreciated. Members at the gym were nice. Co-workers were annoying. Did give me some decent experience.
Dedicated clients makes it easy to commit as they inspire you to give them better and better everytime you go to instruct. I like this as it keeps me on my toes
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Communication from Higher managers is poor
Management and upper management did not have any loyalties to their long term dependable staff. Managers did not last long as they did not fit in with the culture of the gym. Neither did the upper management fit in with the culture. The gym was ran to please the upper management, not the staff or the members.
Pros
The gym was a fun environment with great members and staff.
Cons
Corporate Managers and GM did not belong physically or culturally in a gym environment.
Its part time so I don't get any benefits. The hours are great and management is always willing to be flexible. Most the dumb things you deal with is from the actual members themselves. Besides having no place to stay dry when your coaching. Its great.
Pros
Gym membership
Cons
The payroll and how its done.
The club was always organized and clean. The turnover rate at the location was great with both the members and employees.
Pros
Good Service
Cons
As an intern, I learned a lot about Corporate Wellness. On a typical day I would come in and check my emails to see if clients had any questions or wanted to sign up for a class/program, then I would organize the gym floor before lunch hour, then work on future programs, Then finally I would teach a few fitness classes. The most enjoyable part was building the relations with the members and helping in achieving their fitness goals.
Helping customer with exercising equipment. Washing hanging folding towels. Working with great people